darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :)
First | Previous | Page 4 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6
Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :) [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#151 Posted: 22:34:52 20/11/2010
I DID grow up understanding gaming tech. And I played the original Spyros in their heyday. And I DID think it was innovative(and still do). And I did understand how impressive it was. This the second time you have jumped to a wild conclusion about me. I am not trying to "win anyone to my side". I don't even have a side, I like both Spyros. Honestly, I don't trust professional reviewers anymore, and never will again. If I did, I probably would of missed out on half of the great games I play.

And every other non-fan does not hate LoS, and don't try claim that they do as fact. I know this on both personal experience and from reading tons of reviews, both "professional" and user-made.

But to end things on a DotD hate note..... WHERE THE HECK DID VOLTEER GO AFTER HE SAVED SPYRO, SPARX AND CYNDER? It completly baffles me how he just dissapeared.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#152 Posted: 22:38:32 20/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Hey, you've got a point there. I know we saw Terrador again, and I think Cyril was there, but what happened to Volteer? I guess he just fell in a plot hole. Lord knows there were enough of them in the game, and they were big enough to drop the Destroyer down (come to think on it, I think that's where the Destroyer came from anyway smilie).
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#153 Posted: 22:40:28 20/11/2010
I've always wondered that. He saves them, then you see him at the top of the stairs. Spyro and Cynder run up the stairs, and when you get there he's gone.. that's what happened, isn't it? In the rush DotD was made in they must've forgotten about him.
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#154 Posted: 22:41:42 20/11/2010
The elders needed more screentime/importance in DotD >:
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#155 Posted: 22:45:39 20/11/2010
He must of used the MAGICAL TELEPORTATION CHOCOLATE!
---
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#156 Posted: 23:21:07 20/11/2010
Volteer & Cyril only had one line each...
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#157 Posted: 23:25:26 20/11/2010
Yeah, they screwed up badly. The elders were the best characters from the Legend series IMHO, and they got cut out.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#158 Posted: 23:26:53 20/11/2010
My favourite Guardian, Volteer, was cut out. What happened to him at the stairs? Did the building hit him or something?
---
I draw stuff.
#159 Posted: 23:41:19 20/11/2010 | Topic Creator
That bugged me, too. It was sort of forgivable in TEN when they didn't have much to say (though really inexplicable for Volteer) but in DotD they were always around and trying to help. They were real characters in ANB, but in DotD it was Ignitus and that was it. Even Terrador was a mostly-silent nobody. I don't even know how anyone who didn't play the first two games had any idea of what was going on in DotD or who any of the other characters were besides the main three.
#160 Posted: 23:44:23 20/11/2010
I know, they didn't really care about the other Guardians in DotD. Volteer should be yapping all day with Cyril giving him smart remarks and the other two telling them to shut up.
---
I draw stuff.
#161 Posted: 01:31:36 21/11/2010
The trouble is, the story focused way too much on Spyro/Cynder. What would have been nice would be the Guardians (and Sparx) coming to Malefor's lair with Spyro & Cynder, but perhaps getting locked out and somehow forced to battle outside.
---
#162 Posted: 02:29:05 21/11/2010
Yeah, they did focus to much on the younger dragons. But maybe having the Guardians going to Malefor's Lair is a bit too much. But I would like it if Sparx went there, no doubt about it.
---
I draw stuff.
#163 Posted: 10:31:45 21/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Sparx at least should have been with them. That bit about him not being able to survive the Burned Lands is crap. He was fine in Boyzitbig.
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#164 Posted: 14:30:08 21/11/2010
Quote: Razz
Sparx at least should have been with them. That bit about him not being able to survive the Burned Lands is crap. He was fine in Boyzitbig.

and not to mention the core of the Destroyer :0
#165 Posted: 19:16:00 21/11/2010
Yeah, who made up that stupid story. He could have easily dodged lava geysers and all that.
---
I draw stuff.
#166 Posted: 19:35:11 21/11/2010 | Topic Creator
The bit where Ignitus is killed by FIRE was pretty lame, too. I mean, really? The fire guardian can't withstand fire? Seriously? *facepalm*

When it comes right down to it, I like to pretend that ANB/TEN aren't Spyro games, and I like to pretend that DotD is a really crappy unlicensed game that somehow got promoted as being a part of this new LoS franchise by mistake.
#167 Posted: 21:00:08 21/11/2010
Mehh, his death.. it was okay. If they had pulled it off better, and made it way more believable, it would have had a bigger impact on the gamers. With the way it was, I don't understand how people cried over it.
#168 Posted: 21:07:14 21/11/2010
I think it was just a little too short....I wanted to see him suffer....despite the fact he's awesome.
---
#169 Posted: 21:23:51 21/11/2010
"I wanted to see him suffer..." smilie

Haha

I know what you mean. In games for younger audiences, they tend not to include violence. I don't like the fact that since TLoS was still aimed at a younger audience, it didn't show much violence at all, even though being in the dark Universe it was in, it seemed like it should have violence.
#170 Posted: 21:26:31 21/11/2010
But there KIND OF was a torture scene, when Dark Cynder was pummeling Spyro in DotD, as Spyro was no match for her, emotionally or physically.

Before anyone flames me, I said KIND OF...
---
#171 Posted: 21:30:45 21/11/2010
Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't really think about that really. Spyro had his wing shield up, and Cynder wasn't really hurting him, only emotionally. When people think of torture, they usually think hurting them physically, in an uneccassarily violent way, or, at least I do. So I don't think that would make the game any more mature though, if you get what i'm saying.
#172 Posted: 21:36:00 21/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Jeeze, you guys creep me out sometimes.

There was plenty of violence in the games, it was just all directed at the enemies. And of course they deserve it because they're evil (at least, that's what we're told and expected to believe). *eye roll*
#173 Posted: 21:37:38 21/11/2010
Well, she WAS knocking him about the room a lot. Must of been fun!
---
#174 Posted: 21:39:16 21/11/2010
Haha, I just realized how our conversation probably looks smilie
I guess there was, in DotD. I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm into all kinds of gore and volence because, well, I'm not. I'm just saying, with the Dark Atmosphere, and more realistic style of the game.. I would expect more violence, I don't know about you. But I'm not saying it was needed. It's just what I expected.
#175 Posted: 21:39:59 21/11/2010 | Topic Creator
True, and I'm not saying he didn't deserve it for being an whiny little Mary Sue, but it's still creepy to call it "torture" (it really wasn't; psychological warfare, yes, torture, not really).
#176 Posted: 21:53:31 21/11/2010
But he was helpless to her beating, so it was kind of torture. Now, if he was chained up, then it would definitly be torture!
---
#177 Posted: 22:03:00 21/11/2010
I guess it just depends on your personal definition of torture.
#178 Posted: 00:44:32 22/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Pfft. He was only helpless because he was (yet again) making himself a victim. I don't see why he suddenly had a problem with fighting her when he had no issues at all with killing her when the first met. They didn't develop his character (or hers) enough to make anything in that scene really make sense to someone with human emotions.
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#179 Posted: 02:07:42 22/11/2010
TEN and ANB were okay imo. But they still pale in comparison to the originals. I mean, next to them, the developers looked lazy. The original ones had some 30 worlds/levels each. And these have giant roam about fight scenes that are way to linear. You know it's not a Spyro game if you don't get lost or confused at least once in the game.

Some examples...
Getting to the 'impossible island' in Tree Tops.
The 'Why-the-heck-are-there-gems-under-the-ice' in Icy Peak.
And of course the 'Why-isn't-this-door-breaking' in Satyr Hills.

Buuuttt. TEN and ANB had its moments. The plot was okay and mostly solid, and they did do some nifty stuff. But it has so much room to improve. And I thought they'd do that in DotD, but I was wrong.

In fact the only highlights of DotD is the graphics (though there are way better ones out there.) And that one little scene at the end where Cynder tells Spyro "I'm with you." Which she had been saying the entire game, yet this time she wasn't chained to him, so he realized that she being with him is by choice, not by lack of choice. So then his eyes widen in realizing that the ONLY female in the game that just so happens to be his age and is obviously his love interest, loves him.

And, even though I was young and naive when I first saw that scene. My excitement wore off quickly. However, I still think that SxC is a cute couple, blah, blah, blah. But this franchise is in desperate need of some meat. (as in better, deeper plots and gameplay)
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#180 Posted: 03:41:15 22/11/2010
Spyro didn't have a problem killing Cynder when they first met because he knew nothing about her, other than what Ignitus had told her. She was evil back then. He didn't have feelings for her back then. There's some things i do think are explainable, but DotD did have a lot of plotholes.
#181 Posted: 12:33:25 22/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Spyro still didn't know her well enough to have many feelings beyond teenage lust/infatuation. Same for Cynder. Word of God on LoS is that they knew each other for two weeks. That's it. And in that time Cynder did betray Spyro no less than three times (leaving the Temple on the night of the raid, thus looking mighty suspicious; joining Gaul (as far as he could tell; she sure didn't throw her punches in that attack); and then really attacking him with Malefor). The only reason he trusted her because, frankly, LoS Spyro is a moron. She was pretty and not an ape, therefor she was something he thought he could trust. This is one of the (many) reasons why I loathe LoS Spyro as a general rule.
#182 Posted: 12:55:31 22/11/2010
But my point was that scene was the only, I don't know, well, literary scene? It seemed like the only time in the game where they used any sort of literary device or good use of plot. Not the fact that she loves him, but the fact that her words had more significance since she wasn't chained to him.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#183 Posted: 13:22:35 22/11/2010 | Topic Creator
You do have a good point there. To be honest, I actually never noticed that. It was such a small part in what was a giant mess overall and it was completely overshadowed by the obnoxious love line. I think the game's end honestly would have been better if they'd just left it at "I'm with you".
#184 Posted: 13:35:59 22/11/2010
Quote: Darby
Mehh, his death.. it was okay. If they had pulled it off better, and made it way more believable, it would have had a bigger impact on the gamers. With the way it was, I don't understand how people cried over it.

Same here.

I was nearly in tears (nearly being the correct word), then WOOSH, DARK SPYRO SPOILS THE SCENE. I would have liked a flashback at least, or something like that.
---
#185 Posted: 13:50:48 22/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Same here! Granted, I knew Ignitus was going to die as soon as he showed up in ANB. Even then, it was clear the games were following the hero's journey as interpreted by George Lucas, and in that case, Obi Wan (aka Ignitus, the mentor/father figure) is always a goner. But I was hoping it would be more poignant. Instead we got...whatever that was. Instead of grieving, Spyro just flips out for two seconds, then Cynder emotionless tells him to stop having feelings, and they just go on. It was ridiculous.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#186 Posted: 20:36:50 22/11/2010
Volteer probably survived because you see him fighting the Destroyer in the DS version. He also reappears before the Dam level, doesn't he? smilie Haven't played in too long...
#187 Posted: 20:49:44 22/11/2010
We know he survives, but he just disappears without any explanation after he saves Spyro in the console version. They probably couldn't finish the cutscene because of the rush. Stupid publishers...

I actually noticed a couple of peculiar things about the Attack of the Golem level, but they don't bother me. The level and game was fun overall for me....*Makes a firewall*
---
#188 Posted: 21:11:05 22/11/2010
And what i don't understand is why Spyro turned Dark in the Ignitus Death scene. What was he plannning on doing, anyway?
#189 Posted: 21:13:54 22/11/2010
Well, the dark energy probably got out of him because he was enraged at his death. It's a bit like....oh wait, maybe I shouldn't spoil it for you, Darby!
---
#190 Posted: 21:37:05 22/11/2010
Quote: Darby
And what i don't understand is why Spyro turned Dark in the Ignitus Death scene. What was he plannning on doing, anyway?

I'll be honest and say I felt as though they just wanted to throw SxC at us again. It wouldn't have been such a bad thing, if they'd waited a bit longer. Give Spyro time to realise he was gone, and grieve a bit. Even hearing him say,
'He.... He was always there for me....' etc in a near-crying voice. Now THAT would have got me a lot more than random Dark Spyro appearing.
---
#191 Posted: 21:41:39 22/11/2010
Dark Spyro appearing in DotD actually made me jump the first time I saw it! smilie
---
#192 Posted: 21:45:43 22/11/2010
I just kinda thought 'wtf' when I saw him and he disappeared. Then when I found out you couldn't play as him this time I thought 'KROME GET BACK HERE AND REMAKE THIS GAME' smilie
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#193 Posted: 21:49:52 22/11/2010
Dark spyro and dark cynder were both kinda random and with what they did with them kind of unecessary. especially since you couldn't even play as them, wtf?

Oh, and if Krome would remake the game that would be awsome!
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:52:21 22/11/2010 by BlackNight12
#194 Posted: 21:51:10 22/11/2010
Yeah, that's how I felt with them. They were basically pointless.

I bet if Krome had made it Dark Spyro & Dark Cynder would be playable too :<
---
#195 Posted: 22:05:12 22/11/2010
I think Krome should of been allowed release their version on PS2 and Wii, while EL release their version on Xbox 360 and PS3.
---
#196 Posted: 22:23:17 22/11/2010
lolz, just remembered something, since I just saw it. Remember that scene at the end of Year of the Dragon? When Hunter and Bianca kiss? Spyro says 'another warrior fallen victim to the plague of love.' Well looks like Spyro is one less noble warrior. xD
---
#197 Posted: 22:25:06 22/11/2010
Yeah, that was quite possibly my biggest peeve of the whole reboot.

Spyro not falling in love is what kept me believing he was different from all the other characters, but that's one less unique trait now smilie
---
#198 Posted: 22:25:15 22/11/2010
I noticed that too! Quite ironic, but not a bad thing, IMO!
---
BlackNight12 Gold Sparx Gems: 2343
#199 Posted: 22:28:57 22/11/2010
Yea, before making the whole 'love' thing between spyro and cynder they had to do more with the characters in my opinion anyway. I felt there wasn't enough there to really go on. I think it would have been fine for SxC to happen eventually but I think there should of been more of a relationship there.
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:29:35 22/11/2010 by BlackNight12
#200 Posted: 22:29:36 22/11/2010
It's a terrible thing for me. I'm too much of a tomboy to care about that, it seems so...... 'Teenagerish' for me, at least how it was portrayed ._.
---
First | Previous | Page 4 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me