darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :)
First | Page 2 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6
Do you dislike this game? Let's talk about it! :) [CLOSED]
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#51 Posted: 13:22:52 01/11/2010
I was one of the people who voted the DotD soundtrack. Sorry about that!

While Stewart Copeland's music was great, it didn't compare to the music of say, Koji Kondo or Jun Senoue. But for me, the TLoS music was on the same level as say, a Final Fantasy soundtrack. Some of the tracks even reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus.

I picked DotD because it used some great tracks from the past two games, even remixing some, while adding some great new tracks. Nostalgia plus new things I guess. I love orchestral music, so that was probably another reason why I liked it.

Although, I have to try attaching Classic Spyro music to DotD. I was actually thinking on starting a BGM swap series on Youtube, swapping the music from different games around. I could put Stewart Copeland music in as a joke. If I be serious though, then I will put in FFXIII music.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
Paplok Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#52 Posted: 13:31:31 01/11/2010
Shadow of the Colossus has a great soudtrack, Koh Ohtani is really good. I have all themes on my laptop and phone, when I'm bored I play SotC. Awesome game with perfect music.
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#53 Posted: 13:47:40 01/11/2010
Quote: Spyroo
Pfft, gotta try that.

Also, something I've found amusing - Many people who prefer DotD to the originals because it's 'darker' than they were. And yet, the most popular level and favourite of most.... Is Valley of Avalar. The one truly serene level. I wonder if people realise just how epic the classics would look if they went back to them.....

yea :0!
tbh TLoS is pretty limited when it comes to level variety and stuff
It just got too realistic (especially in DoTD)
you got your typical plain/meadow level,lava level,some ancient ruins level,floating ruins,underground catacombs ... it's not that imaginative =/ and it would better fit some fantasy game with humans or something,not Spyro :c
Thats one of the things that made old Spyro games so awesome,the level variety and imagination.
You have gem harvesting mice(or jerboa?) from Glimmer,robot farmers,partying fauns of Magma Cone,freakin' Handel and Greta infiltrating a palace in the desert(god i would love to see these two again x3),magical hippos in some arabic-style level,seahorses who had their water drained by the Water Workers in Aquaria Towers,worms from Zephyr,Breeze harbor,and a hell lot more (and this is just from Spyro2:Ripto's Rage!!)
What the hell happened?!
How can you just erase this imaginative universe with a reboot which wasn't needed in the first place!
heck,if you rename TloS Spyro into George or whatever and change his colour,you wouldn't even notice it's a Spyro game!
Only thing that makes it a 'Spyro' game is the fact the main character is a purple(more like pink -.-) dragon called Spyro and he has a friend dragonfly called Sparx
THAT IS IT!
Sega failed badly when they made Sonic 06,with the whole drama,bad gameplay etc
but did they reboot?
No!they actually learned from their mistakes and Sonic unleashed came!which was pretty good!
and now theres Sonic colors coming,who has no more werehog levels and just pure Sonic 2D and 3D gameplay.
pretty much the only problem people had with unleashed were the werehog levels,who IMO had better gameplay than 3 TLoS games combined!
The combat was more stylish and fun IMO
Yes ,it did rip off God of War too,but hell,it wasn't as obvious as DoTD(who actually had a similar setting aka ancient city etc..)!
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#54 Posted: 14:56:27 01/11/2010
The fighting system failed epicly, and it made the game boring..

The story was full of plotholes, and it made the game annoying..

The fanbase got torn apart. Nice.

Cost me 50 euros.

That is all..
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:41:27 04/11/2010 by Samius
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#55 Posted: 20:17:42 01/11/2010
Sorry for going on about the soundtracks again, but I just thought of an idea opening my locker at school this morning- it stuck with me!

I think it would be fantastic if you were to play/fly/run through the Valley of Avalar, but instead of its music, use the Dragon Realms from EtD. I always thought it would make a great touch. smilie
#56 Posted: 16:09:02 02/11/2010
Kimbia28, never, ever compare DotD to GOW 2!!! GOW is PERFECT, DotD is not worthy to clean Kratos's sandals! GoW series is the Trinity of PS2's best games, with Shadow of the Colossus and, I dunno, Black in example (it r da' best shoota' there is - Orkz smilie)
#57 Posted: 18:26:11 02/11/2010
Quote: Paplok
Kimbia28, never, ever compare DotD to GOW 2!!! GOW is PERFECT, DotD is not worthy to clean Kratos's sandals! GoW series is the Trinity of PS2's best games, with Shadow of the Colossus and, I dunno, Black in example (it r da' best shoota' there is - Orkz smilie)

You seem to have misunderstood me
I didn't say that GoW is bad or anything.
Just that DoTD ripps-off a lot of stuff from it (gameplay etc) and I found that very annoying and just plain lazy.I showed that video so you can see how the golem from DoTD is pretty much a copy of the colossus of Rhodes.
#58 Posted: 19:07:13 02/11/2010
^ Sorry, I don't like to read long posts, and I think that I missed some stuff in your post smilie Well, I also noticed, that ANB is older than GoW 2, and in GoW 2 there's almost the same flying scene as in ANB (Spyro flying to Frozen something, forgot the name, Kratos flying to Typhon's Mountain and Isle of Creation. Little plagiat of GoW 2 makers? smilie)
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#59 Posted: 20:48:20 02/11/2010
Quote: Kimbia28

Just that DoTD ripps-off a lot of stuff from it (gameplay etc) and I found that very annoying and just plain lazy.I showed that video so you can see how the golem from DoTD is pretty much a copy of the colossus of Rhodes.

What gameplay, specifically, is a rip off of GoW?
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#60 Posted: 21:03:19 02/11/2010
*points up to the video*
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#61 Posted: 21:15:13 02/11/2010
Quote: Gwenio

What gameplay, specifically, is a rip off of GoW?

DoTD's gameplay ripps-off GoW...
Isn't it obvious?
the controls(on the playstation consoles:square for light attack,triangle for heavy,O for grab,select magic is the Dpad,etc...)
and combat...
the golem and the way you beat him is a copy of colossus of rhodes(from GoW2)
the way camera is positioned at a lot of areas reminds of GoW
and other stuff...

*points up to the video*

^this too
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:16:35 02/11/2010 by Kimbia28
#62 Posted: 22:53:50 02/11/2010
DoTD's gameplay ripps-off GoW...
Isn't it obvious?
the controls(on the playstation consoles:square for light attack,triangle for heavy,O for grab,select magic is the Dpad,etc...)
and combat...
the golem and the way you beat him is a copy of colossus of rhodes(from GoW2)
the way camera is positioned at a lot of areas reminds of GoW
and other stuff...

*points up to the video*

^this too

Using square for light and triangle for heavy is old. It was in some of the old Dynasty Warrior games (either 3 or 2, and may have been in the first). All the LoS games used the D-Pad for element selection, and there have been games that use it to select abilities (Dark Alliance 2 uses it for weapon and spell selection).

While the Golem and Colossus battles are similar, I do not see anything that is really new or creative. Big enemy that is off to the side that you need to avoid and attack it? Hardly creative, it is just more games favor bosses that are on the same field as you. The buttons that need to be pressed at specific times just expands on something that has been around for a really long time. Bosses in many games had 'moments of weakness' when you need to attack them or take some action... they just made it so it is a special action rather than something you can normally do. Even the original Spyro had it with Dr. Shemp, it just did not tell you what button to press and did not turn into a cut scene.

The camera is positioned to give a good view; any game that have the camra being controlled rather than simply following is going to be like that.

So lets see, only grappling might come from GoW and I would not be surprised if that could be found in still older games. If that is all then the suggestions made on the Sierra forum after ANB had a bigger influece than GoW.
#63 Posted: 23:03:18 02/11/2010
It looks identical to the boss though. To be honest, I consider DOTD a total rip off the game as well.

.....If you like DOTD, what are you doing here exactly?
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#64 Posted: 23:51:54 02/11/2010
It looks identical to the boss though. To be honest, I consider DOTD a total rip off the game as well.

I would be really suprised if there was not a boss battle against a giant enemy that is off to the side that tries to crush you. The point was they are hating DotD for not doing anything new in term of game play and accusing it of ripping off a game that only had slightly diffrent gameplay from games that came before it; not how I feel about the game.
#65 Posted: 00:25:35 03/11/2010

I would be really suprised if there was not a boss battle against a giant enemy that is off to the side that tries to crush you. The point was they are hating DotD for not doing anything new in term of game play and accusing it of ripping off a game that only had slightly diffrent gameplay from games that came before it; not how I feel about the game.

Compare it with each other - I know of no other boss battle that is so similar to the other. There is no denying it, I've even seen fans of the game admit it.

This is a topic to discuss what you dislike about the game. There's another topic for fans of the game, and what you like in it.
---
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#66 Posted: 00:41:30 03/11/2010 | Topic Creator
You guys are nitpicking too much on this comparison thing. Just play any GoW game, then play any LoS game. It's very obvious that LoS is trying to be GoW for kids in every possible way, from the epic-sounding music to the attempted-detailed einvironments to the fighting styles of the characters to ad infinitem.

And whoever's trying to defend any part of DotD, quit it please. That's not what this thread is about.
#67 Posted: 01:05:36 03/11/2010
This is a topic to discuss what you dislike about the game. There's another topic for fans of the game, and what you like in it.

And I have said nothing about liking or disliking the game; it is the argument that because something has been done before that anything that does the same is therefore bad that I have an issue with.
#68 Posted: 01:10:34 03/11/2010

And I have said nothing about liking or disliking the game; it is the argument that because something has been done before that anything that does the same is therefore bad that I have an issue with.

*points to what Razz said*
---
#69 Posted: 01:49:37 03/11/2010 | Topic Creator
The reason LoS ripping of GoW is bad isn't because it's ripping off GoW, it's because it's doing it with a game that's very inappropriate for that kind of style and it's doing it poorly.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#70 Posted: 08:21:35 03/11/2010
Uh... if you like DOTD, then you're in the wrong topic. :\
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
#71 Posted: 09:29:39 03/11/2010 | Topic Creator
Wait...who are you talking to? If it's me, you should probably check that first post and re-think who you're calling any sort of DotD fan. smilie
#72 Posted: 11:17:50 03/11/2010
Quote: Razz
The reason LoS ripping of GoW is bad isn't because it's ripping off GoW, it's because it's doing it with a game that's very inappropriate for that kind of style and it's doing it poorly.

exactly
if something ripps off another game,it doesn't instantly make it bad,but the problem is in the execution(how they pull it off...)
Probably the biggest reason they made DoTD GoW-like was to attract more people(it was basicaly GoW for kids)
But if they already have 2 previous TLoS games with similar gameplay style,then why change it in DoTD? Shows that they were desperate to get more customers...so they went with the GoW formula(cus alot of people like it)and this is Activision were talking about..(monnneeey money money...)
well atleast that's what I think...

heck ,if Krome was developing it,maybe it would've been similar/same to TEN/ANB gameplay.
#73 Posted: 12:22:06 03/11/2010 | Topic Creator
I've got to call it out: ANB and TEN ripped off GoW just as much as DotD did, at least in terms of fighting style. But with those two games it was kind of forgivable because the rest of the games had a uniqueness to them.

DotD, however, did its darndest to be as much like GoW as possible, from the fighting to the music and right down to the art style. Maybe the real reason we didn't see any extra females in DotD is because the producers were afraid they'd have to make them topless just to be sure it was as close to GoW as possible. smilie
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#74 Posted: 17:19:16 03/11/2010
I would say I hate it but alot of noobish fans flam'd me every time I said so.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
#75 Posted: 04:05:28 04/11/2010 | Topic Creator
I bet that makes you like it more, eh? smilie Well, you can talk about how much you hate it on this thread. smilie
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#76 Posted: 09:29:14 04/11/2010
Quote: Razz
Wait...who are you talking to? If it's me, you should probably check that first post and re-think who you're calling any sort of DotD fan. smilie

I was talking to Gwenio. Sorry, my fault, I should have used the quote button. smilie
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#77 Posted: 19:27:27 16/11/2010
I do like the game for its graphics and being able to fly but other things annoy me in this game...

In the Dragon City, why couldn't Spyro and Cynder fly over the fallen building? I didn't see much fire nor wind currents, they could've stayed around to help the moles in the building and then fly over the building.
And when the Destroyer comes out of the volcano it seems to have a lush green forest with an unbroken city on its back (It may be a bit broken). You'd think since it had been in the volcano for so long, it would be a burnt/dead forest with a molten city, kinda like Molten Mount in AHT.
Why would Malefor release Spyro and Cynder if destroying the world would be much easier without them? I've heard some people say that it was because their allies would soon come and find them and release them. So the enemies built a maze like arena in the Well of Souls to get them trapped and get killed by the Golem. But again that didn't happen. It would have been way easier if the enemies like a few Hero Orcs guarded the Time Crystal from Spyro and Cynder's allies until Malefor destroyed the World, they would have been destroyed anyway like that. The story would be better if Hunter found them and released them.
And the big one is how did Cynder get her rings back in the Time Crystal?
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#78 Posted: 20:05:49 16/11/2010
Oh yeah, there are many topics about these plotholes in DotD part of DS smilie Remember? Growing up in crystal, Cynder having her jewelery back, city on Destroyer's back, Malefor's army, freeing S&C, Warfang building etc, etc. DotD sucks (imo).
#79 Posted: 20:11:16 16/11/2010
Yep, and I made one of those topics.
DotD is bad with plotholes.
---
I draw stuff.
SuperSpyroFan Diamond Sparx Gems: 9224
#80 Posted: 20:11:54 16/11/2010
I guess that's what I meant by the term of the developers just saying "Leave it, that will do, can't really be bothered with it, don't have much time" etc. To me, it sounds like DOTD is just as rushed as ETD, but in a different way.
---
Crash Bandicoot is over-rated
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:13:03 16/11/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#81 Posted: 20:21:53 16/11/2010
Yeah, I agree with you there.
---
I draw stuff.
#82 Posted: 20:26:01 16/11/2010
Never mind, there are at three levels I like so at least that is something.
---
#83 Posted: 20:28:08 16/11/2010
The story was pretty bad too.
---
I draw stuff.
#84 Posted: 20:35:17 16/11/2010
Yeah it was, the way DOTD started off was interesting, it's just for me, when it gets up to the Dragon City, or maybe a little after, that I just find it stupid really.
---
#85 Posted: 21:17:14 16/11/2010
Same here, it just suddenly changes.
---
I draw stuff.
#86 Posted: 21:28:41 16/11/2010
Yeah, the story was at it's best at the start and (IMO) the end. But that usually happens in a lot of standard length videogames. Sonic Unleashed is a great example.
---
#87 Posted: 21:31:30 16/11/2010
Fair enough. I still think the very first Spyro game is great though, lol. I mean in my opinion, you can't really beat it, because the other two that followed on afterwards, were sort of challenged based, so it was like half of the level being chopped off to save room for the challenges in a sense for me.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:32:46 16/11/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#88 Posted: 22:38:57 16/11/2010
Yeah, I noticed that too. I liked the feeling of loneliness from Spyro 1.
---
#89 Posted: 23:45:07 16/11/2010
Quote: SuperSpyroFan
Yeah it was, the way DOTD started off was interesting, it's just for me, when it gets up to the Dragon City, or maybe a little after, that I just find it stupid really.

It's around that point that I start to lose interest.

I love Avalar, but the whole 'I've broken my leg, so instead of carrying me, go to the end of the valley, get the key from the Hermit (best character in the game btw), unlock the orbs, carry two of them back to the raft, bring the raft to me, get off the raft because there's a gate you need to open and enemies to beat, then I can get home' really bugs me. He then comes out of the cave dragging himself anyway, so.....
---
#90 Posted: 00:51:41 17/11/2010 | Topic Creator
I'm with you guys on this one. I was enjoying DotD up until they left Avalar, then it just started to slide downhill. I liked the Ruins of Warfang, but then, bam!, it just collapsed around the Dam level and then it fell into a massive hole by the time it reached the Burned Lands. It was still falling when the credits rolled. Laaaame.
#91 Posted: 01:01:19 17/11/2010
Storywise, it was great at the start, good in the middle, and great again later on.
Gameplay wise, there were just random parts I loved, but nothing I particularly hate.
---
#92 Posted: 05:04:42 17/11/2010
I think it would be better if Cynder didn't takeover Sparx.
---
I draw stuff.
#93 Posted: 10:15:24 17/11/2010
Yeah, I agree. For Spyro's 10th Anniversary, they replace his 10 year old partner. GREAT.

And Razz, that's how I felt too. I was waiting for it to get better, but it didn't.
---
#94 Posted: 17:46:04 17/11/2010
For me, storywise, great at the start, randomness in the middle, rubbish cheesy ending.
Gameplay, interesting throughout the first three levels of the game, by the fourth level it easily starts to get repetitive.
---
#95 Posted: 19:01:45 17/11/2010
Yeah I know. This game could have been great if Krome made it. The games Krome made were great (in my option) and ELB made DotD stupid.
---
I draw stuff.
#96 Posted: 21:02:46 17/11/2010
In my opinion, I didn't think that Krome did a great job on the TLOS series either, I think they're both as bad. I liked A New Beginning the first time I played it, but when I went to play it again some time later on, I just didn't like it at all. I also played The Eternal Night and I found that ridiculously hard, so they made the sequel even worse for me. At least Estranges Libellules gave Dawn of the Dragon a sort of fresh start.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:03:02 17/11/2010 by SuperSpyroFan
#97 Posted: 21:28:35 17/11/2010
Well, I think Krome did a better job. But yeah, at least ELB made a good start to DotD.
---
I draw stuff.
#98 Posted: 21:32:07 17/11/2010
Fair enough then.
---
#99 Posted: 00:11:18 18/11/2010 | Topic Creator
No matter how nicely you want to look at it, even at it's best, LoS was mediocre. Still, I think Krome was doing a much better job of it all and I think DotD was a train wreck from start to finish. Making a game from a mediocre series that's so much worse than its predecessors is just sad.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#100 Posted: 04:44:37 18/11/2010
^I agree. Krome will be missed. Until DoTD, TLoS was actually doing pretty well IMO.

Bad upgrades/unlockables, medicore controls, too many changes, bad characters, everything is wrong, way too many plotholes, too much that failed, tried too hard to be dramatic, not enough in the game, and the Wii version is absolutely horrid compared to the other versions- including the DS version, which I actually enjoyed. (But yeah, that's taking away the things I like from the game.) Oh, and you can rarely use your abilities to their full extent, because either the enemies are too strong and kill you in two hits or they're too easy, or you can just button mash randomly.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:48:40 18/11/2010 by GamingMaster_76
First | Page 2 of 6 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me