darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon > Dawn of the dragon: throw backs to the classic spyro
Page 1 of 1
Dawn of the dragon: throw backs to the classic spyro [CLOSED]
spyrocrash Platinum Sparx Gems: 5012
#1 Posted: 22:34:30 26/09/2010 | Topic Creator
This is a random topic. Just wanted to see if people notice the how there is original series gameplay in dawn of the dragon.
Here is what i noticed
1: Flying smilie
2:Almost free-roaming worlds.
3:Hunter tutorial.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:35:01 26/09/2010 by spyrocrash
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#2 Posted: 22:42:30 26/09/2010
thats not enough
Cyndro34 Green Sparx Gems: 160
#3 Posted: 22:53:29 26/09/2010
Still it's a throwback is it not?
---
I support CynderxSpyro all the way.
Spyro needs a girlfriend who isn't a stalker!
DOWN WITH EMBER!!!
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#4 Posted: 23:09:23 26/09/2010
Yeah, it is.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#5 Posted: 23:39:32 26/09/2010
Quote: dingodile555
thats not enough

This.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#6 Posted: 23:40:07 26/09/2010
The flying i s nothing like classic Spyro. It has crap height limitations, it's avaliable outside of arenas, the contols are finicky IMO, The free roaming was only in ONE out of three games, and it was't that great because of the distinct lack of well hidden areas and items. Hunter doesn't give you a tutorial, pop ups just come up telling you what to do as you go along, same as it did in ANB and TEN.

Also, now that I mention it, let me say something about the collectables. NONE of them were like the ones of old because they are not totally necessary to beat the game. All you get when you gather them all is a gallery or some extra power. The power may sound necessary, but you can actually beat the game without upgrading your breaths. I did.

No, LOS is nothing like the classics. Fine if you think it is, but I and many others don't.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
#7 Posted: 23:45:55 26/09/2010
Coming to think of it, I agree with SpyroLUVA.
---
I draw stuff.
#8 Posted: 23:47:28 26/09/2010
Thank you.
---
#9 Posted: 23:55:44 26/09/2010
I don't see anything that is the same really. My brother is playing DotD at the moment and I had to help him with something on it and I realised nothing is the same besides some of the characters. But their designs a a totally different thing...
---
I draw stuff.
#10 Posted: 00:09:50 27/09/2010
Not to mention thier pesonalities.
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#11 Posted: 00:14:48 27/09/2010
hunter turtorial
saving hunter
adimine orbs
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#12 Posted: 11:11:37 27/09/2010
There WASN'T a Hunter tutorial. It was a bunch of pop ups that tell you what do as you go, like it was in ANB and TEN. In a Hunter tutorial, Hunter actually speaks ant tells you what to do. He then demonstrates and waits for you so he can tell you what do do next. At the end of a hunter tutorial, he gives you a vital item, like an orb or egg.

You don't save Hunter, hunter saved them, you save Meadow. Now that I think of it, if Meadow can walk all the way to the mouth of the cave by himself, why didn't he just do that and let Spyro and Cynder carry him home in thier talons, rather than going to all the trouble of getting a raft? Ah, whatever.

The orbs in DotD are nothing like the orbs in RR/GTG. In this game the orbs are picked up from lttlie piles that really never run out, and are placed or buttons to activate them. In Spyro 2, they are gathered by performing taskes and exploring secret/hidden areas, and can be used to open doors through magic. Also, unlike the DotD orbs, you need more than 1/2 to open doors, forcing you to backtrack and locate more, thereby adding to entertainment and replay value, IMO.
---
Paplok Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#13 Posted: 13:02:15 27/09/2010
I agree with NEW_SpyroLUVA, too. DotD is a different game, and it have nothing familiar with StD, no good gliding, dying when falling from edges, no hidden areas with gems, no dragon eggs/orbs etc to collect, no characters standing for a conversation (Spyro, do you enjoy your Passive Camera? (...) Ooookaay, I won't change it. But remember...) etc. ANB and TEN have something familiar to original Spyro games, like Spyro's design and gliding, but unfortunately nothing else. DotD IS a different game. I find nothing familiar between it and StD, GtG or DotD.
#14 Posted: 19:34:42 27/09/2010
Yes, there is nothing besides the names that are related to the old Spyro.

Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
Not to mention thier pesonalities.

Yeah, the new Spyro's personality is no where near the old Spyro's. Play StD/GtG or RR/YotD and after that play ANB/TEN/DotD to see all that difference. Trust me, there's a lot!
---
I draw stuff.
Paplok Yellow Sparx Gems: 1754
#15 Posted: 19:59:43 27/09/2010
There's even a lot of differencies between ANB/TEN and DotD. DotD is imo the worst of all Spyro games.
#16 Posted: 20:18:11 27/09/2010
It wouldn't have been so bad if it lived up to the potential set by ANB and TEN. By that, I mean it should have answered questions, not made plotholes, It should have kept Spyro and Cynder as they were in the other two games, kept Cynder's personality, and forced Spyro to become a little tougher to put up with it all. The other Guardians should have talked more with thier original personalities, and Hunter should have been a little more like is old Self (as much as he could be, give that he is supposed to be a warrior. Still, no reason you can't be a warrior and have a sense of humor). Speaking of which, they should have tried to make Sparx funnier and give him a more fitting VA (David Spade FTW!). I think it would have been cool if old locations had been revisited, if only in cutscenes. For example, they could have showed more of the celestial caves in the end scene. I also think the pirates should have made an appearance. The path to the dragon city could have been a cool level too, IMO.
---
#17 Posted: 21:38:38 27/09/2010
Yep, I agree again. They changed heaps of things in DotD. And still, they made more questions: Are Spyro and Cynder in love or are they siblings? Is Ignitus still dead as the Chronicler? If not, how did the Chronicler bring him back to life? How did Spyro and Cynder age in the crystal? Why did Malefor release Spyro and Cynder if it was easier to take-over the world without them? etc...
For a concluding game, this didn't really answer any questions...
---
I draw stuff.
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#18 Posted: 00:05:23 28/09/2010
DoTD would have been fine if there weren't all those plotholes, IMO. I agree, though that they're the same items but unrelated.
#19 Posted: 07:24:38 28/09/2010
Yeah, agree all the way, GM.
---
I draw stuff.
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#20 Posted: 13:39:57 28/09/2010
I guess Avalar was a throwback to Spyro 2 although it had barely anything in common from what I saw.
#21 Posted: 15:59:18 28/09/2010
Nothing but the name and the fact that is had green plants and trees and a river in it.
---
spyro16 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1710
#22 Posted: 05:09:10 30/09/2010
Quote:
Also, now that I mention it, let me say something about the collectables. NONE of them were like the ones of old because they are not totally necessary to beat the game. All you get when you gather them all is a gallery or some extra power. The power may sound necessary, but you can actually beat the game without upgrading your breaths. I did.

At least there are collectibles to try to find. The collectibles in the classics didn't do anything at all but give you a 100% completed game. TLoS does the same thing just it gives you more than a completed game. Quite honestly, I would prefer TLoS collectibles because they are harder to find and when you find them they are challenging to get to. But that is ONE way the classics and TLoS have in common.......being able to collect stuff.
---
Slendy's Shadow
i love smilie smilie and smilie
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#23 Posted: 12:54:04 30/09/2010
Quote: spyro16
Quote:

At least there are collectibles to try to find. The collectibles in the classics didn't do anything at all but give you a 100% completed game. TLoS does the same thing just it gives you more than a completed game. Quite honestly, I would prefer TLoS collectibles because they are harder to find and when you find them they are challenging to get to. But that is ONE way the classics and TLoS have in common.......being able to collect stuff.

Actually, getting 100% (or 120%) on the classic games gives you a special ending sequence.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
#24 Posted: 20:01:00 30/09/2010
Quote:

Not true. In STD you need to find a certain number of dragons or treasure to get the balloonist to take you to the next world. In RR, you need to find a certain amount of treasure to learn a new ability or orbs to activate portals or doorways. In YotD you need to collect a certain number of dragon eggs to open portals and a ccertain abount of gems to free the playable characters and enter thier worlds.

Also, if you reach 100% in any of the first three games it opens another level. In STD you get to go to Gnasty's loot, where you fly anytime, getting higher and higher the more thieves you catch and doors you open. You chase theives until you get all the keys and open the final door and recieve tonnes of treasure. In RR you get to go to the theme park dragon shores where you play minigames and unlock the theater where you can view all the cutscenes. That's if you get all the treasure, if you get 100%, you open a power up which gives you permanent super flame. In YotD, you enter Super Bonus Round where you play varied minigames, gather all the Sorceress' treasure and fight her one last time.

See? Old collectables add to the dificulty but more to the replay value than anything else.

In LOS, all you get is galleries. Nice galleries yes, but they still don't add anything to the game itself. I'll admit it was cool how you could become dark Spyro if you defeated all the dragon challenge games, but the minigames were just more of the usual gameplay in that you were being bombarded by enemies and you had to kill them by pressing the same button over and over again.

On a side note (and I don't mean to sound rude; I'm just curious) have you played the older Spyro games? Specifically the first three?
---
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#25 Posted: 23:29:40 30/09/2010
He means things like upgrades and defense.
#26 Posted: 00:36:54 01/10/2010
IMO, You don't need those things. I for one managed to get through TEN with only a small number of those collectables only gathering the ones that were in plain sight.
---
#27 Posted: 00:41:43 01/10/2010
Quote:

Not true. In STD you need to find a certain number of dragons or treasure to get the balloonist to take you to the next world. In RR, you need to find a certain amount of treasure to learn a new ability or orbs to activate portals or doorways. In YotD you need to collect a certain number of dragon eggs to open portals and a ccertain abount of gems to free the playable characters and enter thier worlds.

Also, if you reach 100% in any of the first three games it opens another level. In STD you get to go to Gnasty's loot, where you fly anytime, getting higher and higher the more thieves you catch and doors you open. You chase theives until you get all the keys and open the final door and recieve tonnes of treasure. In RR you get to go to the theme park dragon shores where you play minigames and unlock the theater where you can view all the cutscenes. That's if you get all the treasure, if you get 100%, you open a power up which gives you permanent super flame. In YotD, you enter Super Bonus Round where you play varied minigames, gather all the Sorceress' treasure and fight her one last time.

See? Old collectables add to the dificulty but more to the replay value than anything else.

In LOS, all you get is galleries. Nice galleries yes, but they still don't add anything to the game itself. I'll admit it was cool how you could become dark Spyro if you defeated all the dragon challenge games, but the minigames were just more of the usual gameplay in that you were being bombarded by enemies and you had to kill them by pressing the same button over and over again.

On a side note (and I don't mean to sound rude; I'm just curious) have you played the older Spyro games? Specifically the first three?

Yes i have played the first three i own every game out for gba, ds and playstation and have beat all of them 100% so I know what its like.(not meaning to sound rude or anything) So as far as I can go I kinda like the TLoS collectables better. I do enjoy the others like the bonus worlds and everything in the older ones but Im more of an LoS fan.
---
Slendy's Shadow
#28 Posted: 00:48:46 01/10/2010
^ But you said in a different topic that you're more of an original Spyro fan. :\
---
#29 Posted: 01:38:17 01/10/2010
@DarkCynder: Opinions change.

@spyro16: Fair enough.
---
ElectricDragons Ripto Gems: 1138
#30 Posted: 02:00:30 01/10/2010
Quote: DarkCynder_543
^ But you said in a different topic that you're more of an original Spyro fan. smilie

Here we go all over again...
#31 Posted: 02:00:31 01/10/2010
^ But you said in a different topic that you're more of an original Spyro fan. smilie

True I did say that but to be honest I'm a big fan of both. I don't really care about what the collectibles are I just like playing the games.
---
Slendy's Shadow
#32 Posted: 07:31:39 01/10/2010
Quote: ElectricDragons
^ But you said in a different topic that you're more of an original Spyro fan. :\

Lol WTF? So every time I mention something about the originals, it automatically means that I'm starting a TLOS vs Original fight!? I was just confused, that's all.

This is getting really annoying now. >.<
---
#33 Posted: 11:16:40 01/10/2010
Yeah I agree, some of us might like debate and to vehemently defend the classics, but that doesn't mean we like to cause fight after fight.
---
#34 Posted: 04:00:27 04/10/2010
Quote: ElectricDragons

Lol WTF? So every time I mention something about the originals, it automatically means that I'm starting a TLOS vs Original fight!? I was just confused, that's all.

This is getting really annoying now. >.<

^Agreed 100%
---
Slendy's Shadow
#35 Posted: 04:51:46 04/10/2010
Yeah, seems weird though. Why would you think it's a fight when you just say something about the originals or tLoS?
---
I draw stuff.
#36 Posted: 08:07:04 05/10/2010
Exactly. .__.
---
#37 Posted: 21:04:08 05/10/2010
Some people can get very immature...
---
I draw stuff.
#38 Posted: 21:54:57 05/10/2010
It's getting out of hand TBH....
---
#39 Posted: 05:42:58 06/10/2010
Quote: Bolt
Yeah, seems weird though. Why would you think it's a fight when you just say something about the originals or tLoS?

I know right? I could probably say something like "I LoS more than classic" and I would probably have a bunch of monkeys all over my back about it cause they think I "hate classic Spyro" when I only like LoS more. Does not mean I hate them. I have seen a lot of those types of arguments over something as simple as giving your opinion about the games.

Quote:
Some people can get very immature..

Extremely immature when arguing over a worthless point.
---
Slendy's Shadow
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#40 Posted: 17:14:02 14/10/2010
The flying i s nothing like classic Spyro. It has crap height limitations, it's avaliable outside of arenas, the contols are finicky IMO, The free roaming was only in ONE out of three games, and it was't that great because of the distinct lack of well hidden areas and items. Hunter doesn't give you a tutorial, pop ups just come up telling you what to do as you go along, same as it did in ANB and TEN.

No, LOS is nothing like the classics. Fine if you think it is, but I and many others don't.

I am one of the many others.

One - tLoS ruined teh controls. Spyro fights instead of breathes fire, and uses poor excuses of attacks like Fury. They replaced charge with crap flying, and flying was once gliding, which was much better. Flying has just ruined the game and is pure rubbish and a waste of gameplay. i would've done better with charging.
Two - The Gems. The gems in this game are just rubbish, and in older games they were collectables. Ibn comparison, the gems come from large crystal clusters and give you power. In older games Spyro had unlimited breath.
Three - I hate tLoS and like the Originals.

Gahhh, okay I'll stop now. I just needed to spill my anger out on something, sorry there.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#41 Posted: 19:56:10 14/10/2010
Okaaay
Does every topic need to turn to an Original vs. TLoS debate?

Anyway, I honestly don't see many similar things between TLoS and the Original games, but I'm sure there are some things, whether it was meant to be or not I guess
#42 Posted: 04:57:43 15/10/2010
I realized something 2day when my sis was playing GtG and I was playing DotD that in the classics when Spyro is in a speedway level when he gets a speed boost star his wings have smoke at the tips and he's doing a spiral.......same thing in DotD......he does the spiral, gets a speed boost and has smoke on the tips of his wings. And(ps2) when you press X he flaps his wings just like the classics. I also see a lot of relations in AHT, ANB and TEN like double jumping, different elements look almost the same and is mostly same elements. Only difference is water and not earth. In TEN, ANB and SL for ds Spyro looks, moves, acts and attacks almost the same way. So you can't necessarily say that classics and TLoS don't have anything in common cause I just listed a bunch of stuff in this post and if you don't believe me then play the games and see for yourselves.
---
Slendy's Shadow
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me