Page 1 of 1
2008 DotD Interview Between Mike Graham [CLOSED]
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#1 Posted: 18:37:35 20/09/2010 | Topic Creator
An old interview of DotD between the LoS producer, Michael Graham, and christian-gaming.

http://www.christian-gaming.co...-michael-graham

The answers from the producer may answer some of our questions dying to be answered.

And no flaming on this topic please.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 20:50:27 20/09/2010 by Aura24
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#2 Posted: 20:08:03 20/09/2010
1. He meant for it to be 'challenging' but the games basically only had one button to do the vast majority of the work. That being the case, all you have to do is press one button, move forward, and jump occasionally to win the battles and move on. As for the so-called 'puzzles' what so hard about breathing an element (again, through the use of ONE button) to activate a switch? The others aren't hard either. Go to the highlighted area, press the button YOU ARE BEING TOLD TO USE and pull thing along with the other dragon. Not challenging at all for a functioning human being.

2.He tried to make a game that was more mature without including anything kids shouldn't see. If you're gonna take a fun kid's game and make it more 'adult' don't remove all that makes a kid's game fun without putting in any of the stuff that makes mature games cool.

3.I hear tell that Gary Oldman charges alot. Would it have been so bad if they had chosen talented 'nobodys' to do the voices? If the actors were really so expensive choosing non hollywood actors who work for reasonable wages might have left more revenue for them to make better games.

4.Well no wonder the games sucked so much! He MEANT for them to be like interactive movies!

5.Uh, no, old characters do NOT rely on nostalgia, you idiot! Plenty of old game fans still find those games fun, and the same can be said for some younger gamers.
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:10:46 20/09/2010 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
#3 Posted: 20:32:04 20/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Geez, flame much about the 'old characters' bit, SpyroLUVA? Control your anger please.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:17:11 21/09/2010 by Aura24
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#4 Posted: 20:59:36 20/09/2010
Quote: NEW_SpyroLUVA
1. He meant for it to be 'challenging' but the games basically only had one button to do the vast majority of the work. That being the case, all you have to do is press one button, move forward, and jump occasionally to win the battles and move on. As for the so-called 'puzzles' what so hard about breathing an element (again, through the use of ONE button) to activate a switch? The others aren't hard either. Go to the highlighted area, press the button YOU ARE BEING TOLD TO USE and pull thing along with the other dragon. Not challenging at all for a functioning human being.

2.He tried to make a game that was more mature without including anything kids shouldn't see. If you're gonna take a fun kid's game and make it more 'adult' don't remove all that makes a kid's game fun without putting in any of the stuff that makes mature games cool.

3.I hear tell that Gary Oldman charges alot. Would it have been so bad if they had chosen talented 'nobodys' to do the voices? If the actors were really so expensive choosing non hollywood actors who work for reasonable wages might have left more revenue for them to make better games.

4.Well no wonder the games sucked so much! He MEANT for them to be like interactive movies!

5.Uh, no, old characters do NOT rely on nostalgia, you idiot! Plenty of old game fans still find those games fun, and the same can be said for some younger gamers.

^agreed with everything u said.
and yes the TLoS games just feel too much like interactive movies ,they are so linear IMO smilie
I could go on...
Spyroo Blue Sparx Gems: 867
#5 Posted: 21:16:40 20/09/2010

Hm. I must admit, that last part really bugged me. It's just.... Wrong, on so many levels.

If the LOS series is over, I can accept the trilogy as a set of good (but no higher) games. But if they continue.... They need to bring back fun.
---
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/glumshanks - Because apparently the user 'Kaos' is a spammer. Sheesh, Kaos, srsly?
StartheDragon77 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1860
#6 Posted: 04:47:10 21/09/2010
I want the series to continue! Like they said before they had no idea they would be doing a continuation of ANB so who knows they might make a sequel to DOTD.
---
From the day of my birth I was destinend to conquer darkness with a powerful gem. This is my destiny for I am Star the green dragoness.
#7 Posted: 05:21:22 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
I hope the series continue too, but I have a feeling it won't be called The Legend of Spyro.
---
StartheDragon77 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1860
#8 Posted: 06:00:27 21/09/2010
That's what I figure too.
---
From the day of my birth I was destinend to conquer darkness with a powerful gem. This is my destiny for I am Star the green dragoness.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#9 Posted: 09:15:53 21/09/2010
I was bored, so I posted a comment on there. xD

I probably just gave my name away though. xD

I'm starting to regret it now but... meh. xD
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 13:17:37 21/09/2010 by DarkCynder_543
Darby Platinum Sparx Gems: 5738
#10 Posted: 17:39:31 21/09/2010
Quote: Aura24
I hope the series continue too, but I have a feeling it won't be called The Legend of Spyro.

Same here. Guess that we'll have to wait and see.
#11 Posted: 19:33:38 21/09/2010
Quote: Aura24
Geez, flame much about the 'old characters' bit, SpyroLUVA? Control your anger please.

That had nothing to do with the old characters. It was about the stupidity of what Grahm said.
---
#12 Posted: 19:40:45 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
SpyroLUVA, I said on my first post about no flaming on this topic. And I said it nicely. Don't go overboard again with this, please?
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:47:46 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#13 Posted: 19:51:03 21/09/2010
I wasn't flaming, except when I called him an idiot, and I was half joking then.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:52:50 21/09/2010 by NEW_SpyroLUVA
#14 Posted: 19:51:40 21/09/2010
I don't see much stupidity in what he said. But that's just me.
#15 Posted: 19:52:38 21/09/2010
I mean about what he said about old charcters relying on nostalgia.
---
#16 Posted: 19:57:47 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Control your anger about Mike Graham on this topic, please, SpyroLUVA? Instead of flaming on the producer to your heart's content? I don't want any conflict. Alright? It's not that hard to do...
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:09:14 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#17 Posted: 21:49:53 21/09/2010
Please have a look at the PM I sent you to find my sentiments on your reactions to others' comments.
---
#18 Posted: 21:59:48 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
I know I've been told a lot of times, SpyroLUVA, mostly by you.

I don't want LoS fans coming in and argue against your reaction and flaming, on Graham's decisions while defending him. I don't want conflicts, alright?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:00:35 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#19 Posted: 22:04:20 21/09/2010
If peopel are gonna flame that's thier perogative.
---
#20 Posted: 22:07:15 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Whatever, SpyroLUVA. Don't start anything, please?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:35:38 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#21 Posted: 22:37:12 21/09/2010
haters gonna hate xD
---
#22 Posted: 22:37:44 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Sadly, it's true. :3 But still, they need to control their hate and not flame on topics, when the one who posted those topic said kindly not to.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:41:05 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#23 Posted: 22:39:22 21/09/2010
I wasn't flaming, except when I called him an idiot, and I was half joking then.

even if you were kidding, that stuff gets misunderstood and causes arguments unfortunately..
#24 Posted: 22:52:01 21/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: Darby

even if you were kidding, that stuff gets misunderstood and causes arguments unfortunately..

And that's what I'm trying to prevent. But you keep trying to defend your right to flame on the creator of the LoS, when it will only cause future arguments, SpyroLUVA.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:15:33 21/09/2010 by Aura24
#25 Posted: 00:51:05 22/09/2010
You often try and often fail. As DarkCynder so eloquently put it, haters gonna hate.
---
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#26 Posted: 01:31:54 22/09/2010
Very interesting.

Aura,Its good that you are trying to stop fights but I actually have to agree with SpyroLUVA on this,The flame wars between the Orginal fans and Legend fans just cant be stopped.There's too many extremists on both sides.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
#27 Posted: 01:33:56 22/09/2010
From what I can tell, no flame war will happen here; they usually start pretty fast and if it hasn't happened by now chances are it won't.
---
#28 Posted: 12:06:24 22/09/2010
Going back on topic, I personally don't agree with some of the statements Mike Graham said.

1. I don't really get what he meant in his first answer. The game was still based on, "good vs evil". There was no need to try and make it even more epic. They just try too hard to make it epic. ANB was alright, and was actually pretty light hearted at the beginning, and I must admit, I did enjoy it to a degree for a little while, but only because I thought that it was before the events of STD, so it kept me excited (When it got a little repetitive, and the enemies just kept on coming, that's when I thought that TLOS was a little.... boring). But then it just got too serious, especially in TEN and DOTD. And Spyro and Cynder getting attacked by a massive Golem at the beginning...? I don't see what was so great about that. IMO, the boss came far too early, and should have appeared later on in the level. They need to learn that turning a kid friendly game into a too serious/epic game is a bad thing to do, and will lead in a epic fail. They should have learned this from ANB and TEN.
  2. I suppose that's why the game was rushed a little, was too short (again), the ending wasn't satisfying and it added on a billion plot-holes to the trilogy.
  3. Puzzles? Err.... what puzzles? If there was any, I did little thinking trying to achieve them. And if there is a puzzle, some random thing usually pops up and tells you what to do anyways.
  4. The split screens would still be better. The chain couldn't make the players go were they like, thus not enjoying it as much as they could have. I personally find this excuse a bit crabby. I mean, people still have to work together in split screens. Heck it can make things harder for them because the screen is divided.
  5. They did a bad thing right there. Sure, they need to keep up with the graphics they have today, but this game is a KIDS game, and the graphics can still be improved without taking away the cartoonish style they previously had. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a pefect example. The graphics look great, but it still has a cartoonish style.
  6. So... they tried to make the game more mature, yet not including stuff that kids shouldn't see? I honestly can't see that working (and it didn't). If you want a game to be mature, you need a list one cut scene that contains something that "kids shouldn't see", other whys it's not a mature game. This guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, no offense....
  7. Movie based games..... not fond of them really. I prefer game-play the most, so a game with good game-play will always interest me, whether it has a bad storyline or not, and ETD is a good example. Movie based games are just.... well, I just feel that I'm not even playing a game. Also, WTF, why did they brought in expensive celebrities that cost so much money? If they would have brought in good actors that aren't celebrities, there wouldn't be any difference! Heck the game could have been better if they didn't spend so much of there money paying pointless celebrities to voice a few characters.
  8. Once again, they're wrong. Original characters DO NOT rely on nostalgia. And they're wrong about the original fans moving on. Most of them haven't, and still have the slightest hope left that the original games will come back. I just want to point this out to the company, but I will most likely just get ignored. The Legend Spyro.... I personally don't know what age it's meant to aim at. They may think it's aimed at a young audience, but I can't see a 7 year old playing it without finding it too difficult. Yet a 12 or 13 year old will find it too easy. And ETD DID keep the magic that Insomniac had. If it would have been great if done properly. They could have remade it, but no, instead they had to do the reboot, which wasn't necessary. To me, I don't see what's so hard about putting portals, gems and home worlds in a Spyro game.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:04:33 26/09/2010 by DarkCynder_543
#29 Posted: 13:35:29 25/09/2010
As many could predict, I agree. I'll probably get flamed or at least reprimanded for this, but I too think Mike Grahm doesn't know what he's talking about. One could even call him clueless.
---
#30 Posted: 14:19:04 25/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Maybe because you don't know all that much about his role as producer, or the production behind the LoS. He's only one of the producers, SpyroLUVA. Chris Wilson was the lead producer.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:33:07 25/09/2010 by Aura24
#31 Posted: 18:04:12 25/09/2010
Mike was the one talking in the interview, and he said a lot of things that I thought to be foolish. What Chris might have said in the interview doesn't matter at all because he wasn't the one the interviewer was talking to.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me