Forum

Spyro: A Hero's Tail

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: A Hero's Tail > My own review for this game (doing this because I'm bored)
Page 1 of 1
My own review for this game (doing this because I'm bored) [CLOSED]
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#1 Posted: 06:56:27 04/09/2010 | Topic Creator
I'm bored, srsly. So I've decided to do my own review for this game. :P

A couple of years ago, I loved this game. I found it the best game in the series and everything. But now.... I actually don't really like it, sorry. D:

It's dark, yet childish at the same time. And, it's not a three years and over game, like the other ones. It's not like the original games. It doesn’t have that friendly atmosphere, and any little kid would get spooked by a few of the levels, such as Gloomy Glacier, yet a 16 year old would find it corny. The originals were aimed at younger kids, but a teenager could still play it, and they wouldn’t find anything corny in it. This game would have been so much better it was like the original four (yes FOUR. STD, GTG, YOTD and ETD. And I’m not afraid to admit it). Dragon Village, Costal Remains, Frostbite Village and Stormy Sea (I think those are the names xD) could be the home worlds. And the other places you go to could appear as portals like in the other games. And the mini games are not fun at all. I did found Blink’s levels fun, but only at the beginning. When it got hard, I didn’t find it fun. The speedways are not the same anymore. The hoops and enemies are now spread out all over the place randomly, instead of being in line with each other in one area. And it’s annoying if you have one enemy to find, but you can’t find it anywhere, and you only have about 1o seconds left.

Plus, they ******* up the characters. Moneybags doesn't force you to give him gems (yes, I do miss this. I find it annoying yet entertaining at the same time. And I love how you can get all your gems back at the end of the games, and kick his butt), he just runs his own shop, and his has an accent, plus one of those glass eye thingys. Major disappointment right there. Moneybags is supposed to be annoying.

Sgt. Byrd.... well first of all, he's wearing a jet pack. Did he forget how to fly?! He also suddenly has an accent, and he makes the worse appearance in the games. He blocks your path to the speedways, saying, "oh only a penguin with a jet pack can go through here you will have to wait outside sry". How on earth is a penguin with a jetpack any different to a dragon? He also doesn't really act as if he works in the military. He used to always make me put on a, "lol wtf" face because of his personality (in a good way), but now, I find it really hard to put on that face.

Hunter's personality change doesn't bother me as much. I just hate how he's all full of himself. He suddenly went from fighting sheep in UFOs to exploring dark and gloomy places. And he seems to be a lot more brave. I mean, I find it impossible to imagine Hunter from GTG, YOTD and ETD going to a place like Gloomy Glacier. But, I suppose he would, if it meant saving his best friend. He isn’t funny anymore, and when he does try to be funny, it’s ether corny or just stupid.

Spyro's more snooty than normal. And I don’t like Spyro the snotty dragon. Plus he’s sort of ugly, not to mention he’s cute anymore.
Bentley had the worse appearance in the games. I mean really, WTF did they do to him? He looks like a fluffy panda (because of the black circles around his eyes), he lost his vocabulary, he doesn't have his club, and he let a bunch of yetis kick him out of his house. I'm pretty sure the real Bentley would have his club, would live close to his brother so he can keep an eye on him, and he would have smashed those yetis until they’re all as flat as a pancake. And what's with the pink egg with flowers hidden in his bedroom? Is he gay? (that sentence was a joke. Not to be taken srsly. xD) D:

It's not as bad as TLOS. But it's not as good as the originals, and a disappointment.

I find ETD better than AHT, because it's like the originals, and I find it entertaining, and the mini games are fun, and the levels and music are just amazing. People are overreacting on how bad it is. The loading screens aren't that long as people claim, and I got used to the slow movement and glitchy areas. It may only have eight levels, but those levels are huge, and take a long time to beat. And they didn't forget about the characters in YOTD. Some appeared as balloons, and one made an appearance in Monkey Monastery. First four games are great, and the only games that I consider the original series. The rest are just ***** on a stick. >.<
I will stop now before I get tl;dr posts. >.<
.... *braces self for flamers*
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#2 Posted: 09:24:36 04/09/2010
I don't even mind EtD, but to say it's better than AHT...right, yeah...no.

-The corny stuff doesn't even make sense. There were plenty of moments in the original games which you cringe at as an adult (the Hunter sequence at the start of GtG, the ending of YotD, all the dialogue in EtD).
-It would have been even shorter had it played the originals, and it's short enough already! That formula got worn down, and people know it.
-The difficulty sounds like sour grapes to me. There was nothing in AHT as hard as Agent 9's Fireworks Factory segment, or Agent Zero's stealth orb, or, heck, I found Sparx's segments in YotD more frustrating. The pseudo-randomising of the enemies also meant you couldn't over rely on patterns as every other freakin' speedway did.
-Moneybags...is still annoying, he'll pester you to buy his stuff from far away and mess up your jumps if you're not aware of the telepad. Getting gems off him would be impractical in this game as there's both a huge selection of items you'll want to buy off him and the Gnorcs provide an infinite amount of gems, so you could end up paying millions to him if you wanted. It would have been a viable complaint in EtD though, with it's limited treasure.
-The jet pack would have made it easier for Sgt Byrd to fly (not for us to fly, admittedly), since his previous flying method wasn't nearly as fast in the skies. As I've said before as well, he's the most formal of the characters here and has a British accent, which are typical traits of a military man.
-I do not understand your points about Hunter at all. He was even more full of himself in GtG than here (to the point where he's a huge jerk), and he's always tried to be a lot more brave, hence why he was fighting sheep in the first place (as well as shooting sharks, and doing various other missions in YotD).
-For Spyro, you can just go right back to StD. He was a snooty and snarky brat there, with him somehow scaled down to being a little overconfident at most in GtG and YotD.
- Wasn't Bartholomew living in Monkey Monastries without Bentley in EtD? To me, him not being there is more a continuity nod. I'll lament the seeming loss of his vocab, but even the YotD Bentley would have trouble beating down a gang of Yetis; look at how just the one boxing Yeti gave him ire! I've explained the egg not being owned by Bentley before.

...I'm done.
---
Eh.
#3 Posted: 10:25:49 04/09/2010 | Topic Creator
I knew I would get flamed by the AHT fans. Well, this is just my opinion. Don't like it, then live it. >.<

I just don't like AHT. If you like it, then that's your opinion, and I have mine. :P
---
Burning Gnorc Emerald Sparx Gems: 3463
#4 Posted: 13:10:35 04/09/2010
Flaming is attacking someone. Rebutting their points in a discussion is not flaming.
---
Eh.
dingodile555 Gold Sparx Gems: 2674
#5 Posted: 14:34:25 04/09/2010
Quote: DarkCynder_543
I knew I would get flamed by the AHT fans. Well, this is just my opinion. Don't like it, then live it. >.<

I just don't like AHT. If you like it, then that's your opinion, and I have mine. smilie

What the HELL!? Sorry I just find that so ignorant, I don't know what to say. And Burning Gnorc got it right.
#6 Posted: 23:33:36 04/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Yeah, right... >.>

Quote: Burning Gnorc
I don't even mind EtD, but to say it's better than AHT...right, yeah...no.

-The corny stuff doesn't even make sense. There were plenty of moments in the original games which you cringe at as an adult (the Hunter sequence at the start of GtG, the ending of YotD, all the dialogue in EtD).
-It would have been even shorter had it played the originals, and it's short enough already! That formula got worn down, and people know it.
-The difficulty sounds like sour grapes to me. There was nothing in AHT as hard as Agent 9's Fireworks Factory segment, or Agent Zero's stealth orb, or, heck, I found Sparx's segments in YotD more frustrating. The pseudo-randomising of the enemies also meant you couldn't over rely on patterns as every other freakin' speedway did.
-Moneybags...is still annoying, he'll pester you to buy his stuff from far away and mess up your jumps if you're not aware of the telepad. Getting gems off him would be impractical in this game as there's both a huge selection of items you'll want to buy off him and the Gnorcs provide an infinite amount of gems, so you could end up paying millions to him if you wanted. It would have been a viable complaint in EtD though, with it's limited treasure.
-The jet pack would have made it easier for Sgt Byrd to fly (not for us to fly, admittedly), since his previous flying method wasn't nearly as fast in the skies. As I've said before as well, he's the most formal of the characters here and has a British accent, which are typical traits of a military man.
-I do not understand your points about Hunter at all. He was even more full of himself in GtG than here (to the point where he's a huge jerk), and he's always tried to be a lot more brave, hence why he was fighting sheep in the first place (as well as shooting sharks, and doing various other missions in YotD).
-For Spyro, you can just go right back to StD. He was a snooty and snarky brat there, with him somehow scaled down to being a little overconfident at most in GtG and YotD.
- Wasn't Bartholomew living in Monkey Monastries without Bentley in EtD? To me, him not being there is more a continuity nod. I'll lament the seeming loss of his vocab, but even the YotD Bentley would have trouble beating down a gang of Yetis; look at how just the one boxing Yeti gave him ire! I've explained the egg not being owned by Bentley before.

...I'm done.

-I don't see how that was corny. Heck my sister is 17, and she doesn't find the games lame. AHT, she said at one point that she found it a little corny. I can't remember which point, however.
-It was hard yes, but it still had that friendly atmosphear to it. AHT didn't have it. It was had, and a little more darker than usual, and a little kid would be afraid to even go into a level like Gloomy Glacier.
-Not really. He doesn't pester you to buy his stuff. He only does if you walk into his shop. He doesn't randomly block an important area, and you have to pay him to get across. Now THAT's what I call anoying, because you always have to pay him whether you like it or not. You didn't even need to buy his stuff in AHT, and the only time you have to buy something from him is at the very beginning. You can basically ignore him throughout the rest of the game.
-But that's you making up stories. It's obvious that he can't fly, and he needs a jet pack. Other whys he wouldn't be using it. And he's accent is annoying. I don't remember him having an annoying accent in YOTD.
-Err... did he say, "oh, don't you wish you were me" or, "i'm cool!" or, "I'm awesome"? No. I don't remember him saying anything amongst those lines. And yes, he did show some bravery, but he's not brave enough to go to a place like Gloomy Glacier. Did you see how he was in GTG? He was scared of dragons, and he couldn't fight Ripto and Elora told him to stop him.
-He wasn't snooty as he was in AHT. He was just acting like a child, being impatient. He matured more in GTG and YOTD. And I find it odd how he suddenly goes back to his snotty attitude.
- Enter the Dragonfly wasn't finished properly, so I accept that.
I don't count that. That depends on the player. If they're good at it, then that means that Bentley can beat the yeti easily. It depends on the person who is playing the game. And he got rid of all the enemies in his home all by himself, just by smashing his club. I'm sure a yeti is no different. They only throw snowballs, and Bentley can always use his club to deflect them.

Heh, if you look all over the internet, you will find that everything thinks the same as me. First three were great, but the rest are all $h!+, not original at all. Well, just exclude Enter the Dragonfly. I call it "original four" not "original three". smilie
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:53:58 04/09/2010 by DarkCynder_543
Malefor0001 Gold Sparx Gems: 2365
#7 Posted: 17:50:34 09/09/2010
The only disadvantages of the game for me were the bosses Gnasty Gnorc and Robo-Red.
---
“The innocent, the innocent, Mandus, trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved. This is your coming century!”
DarkCynder10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3346
#8 Posted: 21:42:38 09/09/2010
AHT was OK. I don't play it much, but if I'm pretty bored, I still play it at times.
---
( ૭ ಠ___ಠ)૭
#9 Posted: 07:25:02 11/09/2010 | Topic Creator
It's a good game and all, but it just not what Spyro was suppose to be. If it was like the first four, then I would have liked it more.
---
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#10 Posted: 16:08:58 11/09/2010
This is my favorite game after the original. Here's why

-Spyro's voice was the best

-Characters the most fun to play as (besides Sheila, who wasn't in this game smilie)

-Funniest Jokes (there were a bunch of good jokes

-Best animation

-Okay, not the best music (original spyro had the best)

-Greatest voice acting all together

-Better than ETD, IMO

-Pretty close to original trilogy.

-Just an overall fun game

I know everyone is going to dissagree with this, but I wanted to show everyone my opinion. So... there you have it (prepares for flame)
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#11 Posted: 16:27:25 11/09/2010
Spyro's voice was bad, in my opinion. Jess Harnell didn't even try to make Spyro sound like Tom Kenny or at least make it sound like a teenage boy.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#12 Posted: 16:40:20 11/09/2010
I liked him because instead of sounding like Tom Kenny, he sounded like original spyro! (i'm not trying to argue, by the way, just saying my opinion)
---
#13 Posted: 16:41:32 11/09/2010
Except Original Spyro's voice wasn't whiny or squeaky.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:42:03 11/09/2010 by Aura24
#14 Posted: 17:04:36 11/09/2010
I'm sorry TC. But I think you're being too biased towards Insomniac's trilogy, and not accepting any changes. I think AHT was very innovative and different, but still managed to stay true to the originals. It's like what Twinsanity is to Crash Bandicoot, for me.

Enter the Dragonfly was too similar to the originals, it didn't step out and try anything new.. I TRY so hard to like the game, but it's quite a pain to play and it's boring.
#15 Posted: 21:17:21 11/09/2010
@Aura24: Yeah, but Spyro's more of a teen in AHT

And yeah, I've been trying to like EtD dince I got it. now I wanna go play Spyro smilie
---
#16 Posted: 13:13:32 12/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: dingodile555
I'm sorry TC. But I think you're being too biased towards Insomniac's trilogy, and not accepting any changes. I think AHT was very innovative and different, but still managed to stay true to the originals. It's like what Twinsanity is to Crash Bandicoot, for me.

Enter the Dragonfly was too similar to the originals, it didn't step out and try anything new.. I TRY so hard to like the game, but it's quite a pain to play and it's boring.

I can accept change. But I prefer changes that change slightly in every game, like STD and GTG. They both have there own style, but they're still the same no matter how you look at them. Most games don't really change, but just improve every game. Ether that or do have changes, but the main point of the game still stays the same in each game. And usually the main character doesn't have a huge personality change, but just just slightly grows more mature. Look at Pokemon for instance. It has different Pokemon each game, it went from 2D to 3D, knew features, and many more changes, but the main point of the game is still the same. And that's fighting gym leaders, collecting badges to be the champion and catching all the Pokemon to fill your Pokedex.

It's mainly the personality changes I hate. If Spyro, and all the other original characters didn't had the personality change then I probably would have liked it more. Heck if it had more portals, better mini games, slightly more light hearted, the return of more original characters (I haven't seen Elora since the end of YOTD), Sheila or Agent 9 instead of Blink, and most of all, not ****ing up Bentley (sorry, the only word I can think of at the moment...), then I would have liked it. It just had so many downs that I just thought, "meh, it's okay". :\

Sometimes I feel that I'm the only person who loves ETD.. xD
---
#17 Posted: 00:59:53 13/09/2010
I just played ETD... I couldn't get myself to liked it (once again)
---
#18 Posted: 06:50:31 13/09/2010 | Topic Creator
It seems like everyone hates it, and it's usually because they don't have the patience to wait 40 minuets for the loading screen.
---
#19 Posted: 06:54:00 13/09/2010
I still play AHT, despite Spyro's voice being different from Tom Kenny's.
---
#20 Posted: 08:20:13 13/09/2010 | Topic Creator
I hated his voice, and his personality.... That alone ruined the game a little for me. :\

It also got boring after I got about halfway through it. The levels weren't entertaining after you beat Red. And the last level, even though you had to think a lot, I found it boring, easily the worst level.
---
crazyspyrofan Yellow Sparx Gems: 1042
#21 Posted: 00:38:28 15/09/2010
AHT getting taken down?This is new.

I thought AHT was a very good game.It added more to Spyro and helped make up for the mistakes of ETD.

I will actually admit that ETD gets more hate then it deserves but it is still the worst Spyro game IMO.
---
"This twisted game needs to be reset,"-Solo Wing Pixy,Ace Combat Zero.
#22 Posted: 03:18:56 15/09/2010
I loved AHT Spyro's voice, it reminded me of the original voice (which was my fave)

And EtD isn't the worst game ever, I just don't like it that much. And it's not the loading (not enitirely), but I just can't get myself to like it.
---
#23 Posted: 09:31:00 15/09/2010 | Topic Creator
Quote: crazyspyrofan
AHT getting taken down?This is new.

I thought AHT was a very good game.It added more to Spyro and helped make up for the mistakes of ETD.

I will actually admit that ETD gets more hate then it deserves but it is still the worst Spyro game IMO.

New? No, this isn't knew. It's just that everyone on this site seems to love this game, along with the TLOS series. Most people outside this site love the Insomniac series, and think that the Spyro games sucked after they gave up the series.

Yeah, in the worst possible way.... Like I said before, it's the boring mini games and the personality changes (and changing Bentley completely) that got to me. I just hate personality changes, because every time it happens, I can just never look at the character the same way again.

TEN is the worst Spyro game. :P
---
IsisStormDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 7127
#24 Posted: 01:04:34 15/10/2010
I didn't see much wrong with AHT. Granted, Spyro DID annoy me in there, but still, I thought their personalities were okay. And as for Gloomy Glacier... I was twelve when I first played that level, and it did scare me, but I'm terrified of skeletons period. Other than that the game was very kid-friendly.

Also, TEN isn't the worst Spyro game, IMO. Orange is. smilie And just for the living heck of it, if TEN is the worst due to difficulty ( I've seen this used as a complaint; not saying YOU said it, but still)...go play MegaMan. smilie

And furthermore... You're not the only one who liked EtD! Granted, the load times bugged me a little, but I used them as an excuse to get a snack. smilie ( yes, I had to add some humour, but I still liked the game).
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:05:02 15/10/2010 by IsisStormDragon
GamingMaster_76 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1271
#25 Posted: 04:24:39 30/11/2010
Quote:
Also, TEN isn't the worst Spyro game, IMO. Orange is.

I think that there are a few really bad Spyro games that lie at the bottom. What I think of when someone says 'worst Spyro game' is GBA ANB, Fusion/Orange, and SoI(Off-topic, but it was because the first was too bland, repititive, and linear, granted not as bad as it's made out to be, the second didn't have a Spyro feel to it and was boring too quick, but yet again not as bad as made out, and the last one is somewhat overrated and WAY too hard: And no, I'm not bashing the GBA, I love it).

Quote:
The levels weren't entertaining after you beat Red. And the last level, even though you had to think a lot, I found it boring, easily the worst level.

I thought I was the only one who thought that. smilie I also think that it was frustratingly hard with that challenge where you had to pole spin before your time limit ran out and you had to hid the button again. (I need to go through this again, man...) I always sucked at that, for some reason.

Quote:
Sometimes I feel that I'm the only person who loves ETD.. xD

I don't love it, but it's so much better than others say! So... Here's a cookie. *hands you a cookie* smilie

The only things that really bugged me in this game were the last level, a few repititive bits, and YES, corny bits. smilie Like the Costal Remains. I never really like beach levels outside of Crash Bandicoot. Plus, a certain point in its soundtrack reminds me of Optus! smilie OF ALL THINGS!

Also, Bently and the fact Bianca and Shelia were removed. Also, they could have added some dragons walking around in Dragon Village. smilie
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:27:29 30/11/2010 by GamingMaster_76
#26 Posted: 12:03:11 21/12/2010 | Topic Creator
Wow, was I really that harsh in that review? o.O

Meh. Ether way, I would have liked it if the characters weren't messed around (More characters needed to return and so does the portal system). And I think that AHT should have been a little more darker. The storyline is rather dark, but the atmosphere doesn't really back it up. Make it darker, then I would have found less cheesy, but then the game wouldn't be like the originals, so I dunno.

And they ruined Bentley. ;__;
---
Epic7 Red Sparx Gems: 25
#27 Posted: 16:45:29 28/12/2010
Eh.... I was thinking of getting it, should I?
---
I got the password to my old account. I am Spyro_987
#28 Posted: 18:16:54 28/12/2010
Yes, I'd say get it. I certainly have had lots of fun with it.

Quote: DarkCynder_543
Wow, was I really that harsh in that review? o.O

Meh. Ether way, I would have liked it if the characters weren't messed around (More characters needed to return and so does the portal system). And I think that AHT should have been a little more darker. The storyline is rather dark, but the atmosphere doesn't really back it up. Make it darker, then I would have found less cheesy, but then the game wouldn't be like the originals, so I dunno.

And they ruined Bentley. ;__;

I don't agree with that. The atmosphere was wonderful. If it was any darker it would turn out like Legend of Spyro, which is bland and depressing.
#29 Posted: 09:34:13 29/12/2010 | Topic Creator
It's a good game, so I say you should get it. I honestly would have liked it if the characters weren't screwed up.

Yeah, and that's another problem. If it's anymore darker, then it would be like a TLOS game. Dull and sad. :C
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me