Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Two or four legs [CLOSED]
Crush Gold Sparx Gems: 2812
#1 Posted: 21:48:36 03/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Do you think dragons should walk on two or four legs? I think four. It is more dragon like. One of the reasons why I like the new Spyro series better. But I also still like the old ones.
---
You can lie... *Smirks* But your bladder can't. Ha ha ha!
Quote: dark52
Dagnabbit.
SpyroGamer2008 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4203
#2 Posted: 22:03:06 03/01/2008
I'd like them walking on 4 legs. In "Spyro 1: The Dragon" and "Spyro 5: A Hero's Tail", they looked a little awkward standing on 2 legs. (Of course in "A Hero's Tail", they had something to keep them up.) But, if it ends up that the characters in the new Spyro game end up walking on 2 legs, I would be weirded out a little, but would handle it.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5243-6111
P.M. me if you want me to add you.
#3 Posted: 22:11:30 03/01/2008 | Topic Creator
It still looks like Hunter walks on two legs.
---
Dagnabbit.
Pyro girl Yellow Sparx Gems: 1752
#4 Posted: 22:13:37 03/01/2008
I'm more onto the four-legged side. I have made a couple of dragon characters on two legs too so...
---
Kakarot, I think I'm going to puke ~Vegeta
Live Long and Prosper ~ Mr. Spock
I'm stupid, I'm Stupid ~ Starscream
RedWelshDragon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1250
#5 Posted: 22:15:19 03/01/2008
I like four legs better than two smilie.
---
College is a refuge from hasty judgement.

Definition of a college lecturer: someone who talks in other peoples sleep.
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#6 Posted: 23:00:34 03/01/2008
Defintely four for me. Walking on two seems a bit weird. smilie;
Last edited at 01:14:46 05/01/2008 by Aqua-Dragoness
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#7 Posted: 23:26:09 03/01/2008
they are quadrupeds,

they walk on four legs.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#8 Posted: 00:26:48 04/01/2008
It depends on the kind of dragon. The Western wyvern only has two legs, ergo, it can only walk on two. The LoS dragons are clearly quadrupedal (four legged), but they can occasionally stand on their hind legs for a short time (I've seen Spyro do it at least once in the games).
Spyro_rules Emerald Sparx Gems: 3213
#9 Posted: 00:31:04 04/01/2008
Four.
Twilight Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#10 Posted: 00:32:17 04/01/2008
I can see where both have their advantages but in looks I'd have to say four, at least the TLoS anyway. I don't much care about other types of dragons, they can be what ever they want.
---
As long as I don't have to do anything, I'm kool with it.
Peace Fodder
#11 Posted: 00:47:33 04/01/2008
Four legs, for sure. It's more....dragon-y.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#12 Posted: 02:30:21 04/01/2008
I believe that walking on four-legs gives the dragons more of a serious appearance and fits their stern and powerful looks.

The whole two-legged thing was sort of an awkward attempt at humor, in my opinion.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#13 Posted: 04:51:30 04/01/2008
It depends on the dragon. For me, all my characters with either a dragon form or are actually a born-dragon, they all are quadrapadle. Or how ever it's spelt. smilie
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#14 Posted: 19:24:02 04/01/2008
Spyro and most of the other dragons in the Spyro serie really fit more as quadrupeds.

Another point is that so far in the serie, basically every bipedal dragon in the serie turned out awkward in appearance.

I would like to elaborate but well, fact is, there's not much to say ; just from concept alone, Spyro and all other dragons in the Spyro serie, especially the Legend of Spyro story arc, just fits on all four a lot more. So, in a nutshell, I agree with basically everyone on the thread and say "four over two".
#15 Posted: 20:30:30 04/01/2008
Quote: SpyroxCynder
they are quadrupeds,

they walk on four legs.

Yeah, but in the first Spyro game, a few of the dragons stand on 2 legs. Same in "Spyro 4: Enter The Dragonfly" and "Spyro 5: A Hero's Tail".
---
#16 Posted: 20:32:14 04/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Also in Spyro 3: YOTD.
---
Dagnabbit.
#17 Posted: 20:37:40 04/01/2008
Oh yeah. Thanks for that input, "Crush". I forgot about that.
---
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#18 Posted: 23:06:23 04/01/2008
Well, I also think that quadruped dragons look more original and cool. I bet that they stand in two legs just when it's too neccesary, just like bears do. But remember, you know that in ANB and TEN when you stop moving Spyro for a few seconds he stands on two legs, looking his surroundings.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#19 Posted: 01:16:58 05/01/2008
In StD 1, it looked like there were a coule Artisan dragons on four legs.
#20 Posted: 02:07:03 05/01/2008
Quote: Aqua-Dragoness
In StD 1, it looked like there were a coule Artisan dragons on four legs.

Yeah, but because of the PS1's sucky graphics (compared to PS3 << ) the dragons' necks looked like they were bent awkwardly, so I didn't like it; actually, out of the dragons in the Spyro series I've seen, I only liked Spyro and the ones in the LoS series.
Last edited at 04:56:30 05/01/2008 by Shrazer320
#21 Posted: 02:19:54 05/01/2008
Quote: Zerodius
Spyro and most of the other dragons in the Spyro serie really fit more as quadrupeds.

Another point is that so far in the serie, basically every bipedal dragon in the serie turned out awkward in appearance.

I see you still hold true to that point! ;^.^

Don't hurt me... ;~;
---
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#22 Posted: 05:07:15 05/01/2008
Quote: Felines
Well, I also think that quadruped dragons look more original and cool

Minus that many older depictions of dragons have two legs, but if they have four legs they should use them.
#23 Posted: 09:20:01 05/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Quote: SpyroGamer2008
Oh yeah. Thanks for that input, "Crush". I forgot about that.

NPsmilie
---
Dagnabbit.
#24 Posted: 09:22:45 05/01/2008 | Topic Creator
Well, I also think that quadruped dragons look more original and cool. I bet that they stand in two legs just when it's too neccesary, just like bears do. But remember, you know that in ANB and TEN when you stop moving Spyro for a few seconds he stands on two legs, looking his surroundings.

Yeah. But I only think he can do that in few seconds. I think if he tries to walk on two, he is going to trip.
---
Dagnabbit.
#25 Posted: 15:36:58 05/01/2008
I know, in STD the dragons stand on two legs, they didn't walk. But that fact is not always right, remember, in SL dragons walk on two legs without any trouble, Spyro, Ember, Flame and Conan's little brother or sister Zinc were the only quadruped dragons.
---
#26 Posted: 15:47:39 05/01/2008 | Topic Creator
I think it has something to do with their ages. In Spyro the Dragon series, teen and adult dragons are able to walk on two legs. I didn't notice the adult dragons in The Legend of Spyro series walk on four legs, until my little bro said it. Jeez! Stupid me!smilie
---
Dagnabbit.
Last edited at 15:48:14 05/01/2008 by Crush
#27 Posted: 22:41:51 05/01/2008
It almost had me fooled. When I get ANB and saw Ignitus I said, huh? I thought that dragons walk on two legs, then I thought, maybe they change that detail of the story too, and I like it. Quadruped dragons look better.
---
#28 Posted: 23:47:35 05/01/2008 | Topic Creator
I agree.
---
Dagnabbit.
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#29 Posted: 00:03:42 06/01/2008
Four legs all the way.
More dragon like
#30 Posted: 02:29:38 06/01/2008
I liked the little switch that LoS pulled with the dragons. In the original games, young dragons were strictly quadrupedal (Spyro could barely even rear up on his hind legs) while the adults spent a lot of time on two legs (some of them were clearly quadrupedal for walking, but some had fore legs that were too short to stand on). In LoS, it's the older dragons who can't stand on two legs while the younger ones have no trouble rearing up on their hind legs (Dark Cynder did a lot of rearing up on her back legs and might have even taken a step or two).
#31 Posted: 16:30:22 06/01/2008
It is an unusual switch... but it would make sense. You'd expect that as the dragon's got older, it would be harder to rear up like that
---
#32 Posted: 19:18:52 06/01/2008
Just like komodo dragons. The young ones can climb trees but, as they get older, they become too heavy and inflexible to climb.
#33 Posted: 13:17:00 07/01/2008
Well, Cinder stand on two legs, but she didn't walk, remember, in SL, old dragons, like Old one horn could stand on two legs, so it can't be the age.
---
#34 Posted: 20:54:59 07/01/2008
Okay, I've got to say this now because I see it all the time and it drives me nuts. We are talking about dragons in the Spyro universe here, not dragons from any other games, movies, or books. Spyro universe dragons have their own unique quirks and traits and they are very different from other kinds of dragons. Comparing them to other dragons or saying that because a dragon from such and such is like this then they are too gets us nowhere in the discussion.

Our sources of inspiration for the Spyro dragons are as follows:

Insomniac trilogy (StD, RR/GtG, YotD)
Enter the Dragonfly
A Hero's Tail
Legend of Spyro series (ANB, tEN)
any other Spyro games

That's it. And if we're talking specifically about the LoS dragons, then our sources are only ANB and tEN. From what we've seen thus far, LoS dragons are quadrupeds; they walk exclusively on four legs. The younger ones can rear up on their hind legs but can't walk that way (that we've seen at least). To the best of our knowledge, older dragons can't stand on just two legs. This is completely opposite from the dragons in the original Insomniac trilogy, who seemed to become bipedal with age (though no one is entirely sure since we never saw the adult dragons walk anywhere).

Now if this is a question about all dragons in general... Well, then it's more open for debate and opinion. Personally, I like to do things that are unusual and I create my dragons around their environment (with heavy inspiration from old Western myths that describe five specific kinds of dragon). My most developed dragon is a two-legged female lindwyrm (two legs, no wings) named Eric.
#35 Posted: 22:56:16 07/01/2008
Oh Razz, stop confusing me more, you know that all this questions come since Sierra and Krome studio change the storyline completly. According to Wikipedia, this event is called a ''reboot''. The BIG question is that if TLoS series is somehow going to end were the original series start. So it's difficult to me, I am so confused.
---
#36 Posted: 23:07:16 07/01/2008
That is no suprise, after all Krome has said it is a prequel, but they also said it is a reboot and not connected to the other games.
#37 Posted: 23:30:45 07/01/2008
Exacly, it's a reboot, but it still confusing me, Spyro is the first game that I know with a reboot. I didn't even know what a reboot was, but still... the original storyline was not that bad. I only hope that this reboot have a way of NOT disturbing the original serie.
---
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12141
#38 Posted: 23:39:21 07/01/2008
Four i guess...
#39 Posted: 02:09:33 08/01/2008
Quote: Razz
I liked the little switch that LoS pulled with the dragons. In the original games, young dragons were strictly quadrupedal (Spyro could barely even rear up on his hind legs) while the adults spent a lot of time on two legs (some of them were clearly quadrupedal for walking, but some had fore legs that were too short to stand on). In LoS, it's the older dragons who can't stand on two legs while the younger ones have no trouble rearing up on their hind legs (Dark Cynder did a lot of rearing up on her back legs and might have even taken a step or two).

smilie Good point.

Well, Cinder stand on two legs, but she didn't walk, remember, in SL, old dragons, like Old one horn could stand on two legs, so it can't be the age.

It was for the DS, a portable platform. Only the ones like PS3 and Wii are absolutly canon unless the series spicifically for GBA/DS.

Oh Razz, stop confusing me more, you know that all this questions come since Sierra and Krome studio change the storyline completly. According to Wikipedia, this event is called a ''reboot''. The BIG question is that if TLoS series is somehow going to end were the original series start. So it's difficult to me, I am so confused.

The story line has absolutly nothing to do with the dragons standing poses.
#40 Posted: 11:02:11 08/01/2008
What are you talking about Shrazer320, well... I mean that in the original serie dragons were biped, and in The Legend of Spyro series they are estrictly quadruped. Now, in Shadow Legacy, dragons walked on two legs without any trouble... and SL was a game only for the DS.
---
#41 Posted: 00:35:37 10/01/2008
Shadow Legacy, since it wasn't for PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/anything-that-isn't-portable-like-a-DS, it wasn't canon except to itself.
Gondana Blue Sparx Gems: 927
#42 Posted: 14:37:36 16/01/2008
It makes sense having the dragons walk on all fours because its really weird when the only quodrapedel dragon is Spyro.
---
Who ever said its better to haved loved then lost, than never to have loved at all was a lier and should be shot.
I'll be back. (Will return in 2011)
jamieque Blue Sparx Gems: 766
#43 Posted: 15:10:24 16/01/2008
It depends... I say that either way is fine if it is done in a believable way. Not all the dragons in the series walked on two legs. Some were four legs and others were two legs. I think it depends on the dragons themselves. Of course, you have to ask the question of how could the dragons build anything if they are unable to use the front paws for anything but walking? Hmmm....

Think about it and ask yourself how can their be a culture or dragon civilization if the Dragons can't build anything. The dragons in Legend, when they showed the brief flashback to the Dark Master Orgins, showed that the dragons have armor. Armor has to be made/forged and the only way to do that is by using your hands/paws to do it. Oh and spare me the 'dragons have magic' excuse. Magic can only go so far but then again like Insomniac before them Krome probably won't bother to try explain away this little detail. Even Krome is doing a good job when it comes to adding depth and detail to the Spyro universe they sill forget to flesh out out things such as this. Of course, this matter probably isn't important so they'll just ignore it and move on.
#44 Posted: 15:16:10 16/01/2008
They have left to possibilities:
1: Some dragons can move objects with there power, like the Chronicler.
2: The other peoples help them in return for protection.
jamieque Blue Sparx Gems: 766
#45 Posted: 15:22:26 16/01/2008
1. Yes, Gwenio that is possible but still there is a limitation to what their powers can do.

2. There is a slight flaw to this logic. We know next to nothing about the history of how the Dragon Clans were able to build their culture. The Chronicler has the ability to move objects but it seems like these abilities are rather limited to certain dragons. As for whether the dragons have another species to help them out is not currently known. I wouldn't count it out as being impossible. It just seems highly unlikely which takes us back the same problem again. There is just too many unknown at the moment... ugh...
#46 Posted: 21:00:52 16/01/2008
There is a serious flaw in your logic, Jamieque: these dragons have no thumbs. The best any of them have is a dew claw that is far up the leg and effectively useless for grasping things. Dark Cynder was able to pick up the crystal in one scene, but it looked unnatural and uncomfortable and we later saw her manipulating the crystal with her mouth. The Chronicler is only able to read his books by using his telekinetic powers (his paws are even more blunt than the other dragons). And young dragons? I'm still kind of surprised they can even walk with such tiny feet.

So far, the only dragon we've seen who can make much use of her paws for grasping things is Dark Cynder, but even for her it's a tricky ordeal. This implies that female dragons can do more with their hands than males, but not much. Dragons with telekinetic power could also help, but, again, it's pretty clear that this is not a common power (though it could be inferred that most dragons have very basic telekinesis (the Guardians use it to train Spyro)).

Personally, I like the idea that other races helped the dragons to build their civilization (it's very clear that this is what the Dark Master did). Such cooperation would have ensured peace between races and it would help keep the dragons humble (they can't do everything, after all). The fact that the other races have been driven into hiding by the Dark Master's forces may be a big part of why the dragon civilization is crumbling at this point in time (in the DM's time, it was clear that dragons were living better). If the dragons were capable of adorning themselves with their armor, one would think that the Guardians would be wearing such, but they aren't, which suggests that someone with useful hands has to help them at least buckle it on.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me