Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Interview With Oliver Wade
Page 1 of 1
Interview With Oliver Wade [CLOSED]
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6082
#1 Posted: 18:35:35 16/03/2010 | Topic Creator
So it occurs to me that I've been sitting on some e-mails I got from Oliver Wade (character designer on the old Spyro games) for a few years. I was originally planning on posting some of what he said to Just for Faun but I suspect that I will never have the time to post those there. Would you guys like me to post some of what he said here?

(I'm not currently in communication with Oliver anymore, so I can't forward any new questions to him but he answered a lot of them from the gang at SpyroForum and had a lot of cool stuff to say about working on Spyro, in the games industry, and being an artist.)
Ghakimx Emerald Sparx Gems: 4064
#2 Posted: 19:14:36 16/03/2010
more details plz
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6823
#3 Posted: 19:37:07 16/03/2010
Sounds interesting and it would be great if you could post some of the things Oliver said.
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#4 Posted: 19:40:13 16/03/2010
Quote: cynder fan
dount get angry plz.but its a bit........bit........funy.gez a hafta sey it.sory.smilie

Um... Care to elaborate on why its funny?
NEW_SpyroLUVA Emerald Sparx Gems: 3308
#5 Posted: 21:00:31 16/03/2010
Yes! Please post his responses!
---
3 uses of teh Int@rw3bz: get info, waste time, and complain.
"Stick to your guns and keep on firin'!" - Max (Me)
Queen_Cynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1694
#6 Posted: 01:11:29 17/03/2010
Yeah... what did he say?

And... uh... what's funny. Cynder Fan?
---
I know my username says Queen but I’m a guy I’m just gay : (
#7 Posted: 16:03:18 17/03/2010 | Topic Creator
Alright, here's the start (we exchanged a lot of e-mails over the course of about a year).

Elora Drawing - Jan. 22

Quote:
Hello,
I was browsing the Spyroforum and noticed that you were interested in drawings of Elora. Well, believe it or not, I am the person who did the Elora design originally. I worked for Insomniac Games from the time of the first Spyro game through the end of Ratchet: Deadlocked. I designed all of the characters in the 2nd and 3rd Spyro games including Elora, Hunter, Moneybags, Bianca, Crush, Gulp and any other characters you can think of.

I just thought I would send along a copy of the original Elora drawing that I did oh so many years ago.

[User Posted Image]

As you can probably see, she was originally going to have 4 legs and be more of a female centaur. But after looking at the design for a while I decided it would be better if she were a faun and just had two legs. I added the long fox-like tail for better balance and there you have it.

Her face is based on a friend of mine and her name was derived from another Insomniac employee at the time named Caroline. I just took the letters, jumbled them up and removed some until I got Elora.

Oliver Wade

I'll spare you my fannish response to his first e-mail. smilie I asked him what brought him to SpyroForum and if I could share the Elora art. He said this:

Quote:
Hi again,
Sure, like I said, it's yours to do with as you wish but I appreciate your asking smilie

I was actually looking around on the sight because I am currently replaying Spyro on my PSP and I was stuck in the Tree Tops level (I forgot how to do that crazy charge glide to the last area with the dragon). It's nice to see that the old Spyro games are still being remembered somewhere.

I saw your post about Elora and dug through a box of old drawings until I found her. It was nice to relive those pleasant memories while looking through that box of stuff.

If you have any other questions, just ask,
Oliver

This is going to get long, so I'll end this post here and try to keep updating this as I am able.
Kimbia28 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1890
#8 Posted: 16:15:59 17/03/2010
Quote: Razz
Alright, here's the start (we exchanged a lot of e-mails over the course of about a year).

Elora Drawing - Jan. 22

Quote:
Hello,
I was browsing the Spyroforum and noticed that you were interested in drawings of Elora. Well, believe it or not, I am the person who did the Elora design originally. I worked for Insomniac Games from the time of the first Spyro game through the end of Ratchet: Deadlocked. I designed all of the characters in the 2nd and 3rd Spyro games including Elora, Hunter, Moneybags, Bianca, Crush, Gulp and any other characters you can think of.

I just thought I would send along a copy of the original Elora drawing that I did oh so many years ago.

[User Posted Image]

As you can probably see, she was originally going to have 4 legs and be more of a female centaur. But after looking at the design for a while I decided it would be better if she were a faun and just had two legs. I added the long fox-like tail for better balance and there you have it.

Her face is based on a friend of mine and her name was derived from another Insomniac employee at the time named Caroline. I just took the letters, jumbled them up and removed some until I got Elora.

Oliver Wade

I'll spare you my fannish response to his first e-mail. smilie I asked him what brought him to SpyroForum and if I could share the Elora art. He said this:

Quote:
Hi again,
Sure, like I said, it's yours to do with as you wish but I appreciate your asking smilie

I was actually looking around on the sight because I am currently replaying Spyro on my PSP and I was stuck in the Tree Tops level (I forgot how to do that crazy charge glide to the last area with the dragon). It's nice to see that the old Spyro games are still being remembered somewhere.

I saw your post about Elora and dug through a box of old drawings until I found her. It was nice to relive those pleasant memories while looking through that box of stuff.

If you have any other questions, just ask,
Oliver

This is going to get long, so I'll end this post here and try to keep updating this as I am able.

this is awsome Razz smilie!
Thanks for sharing
Wow I really had no idea Elora was supposed to be a centaur :0 that'd be funny xD
looking forward to see more smilie
InsomDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 6823
#9 Posted: 16:22:14 17/03/2010
This is all very interesting, I like the fact that Elora is based on an Insomniac employee.

Thankyou for posting these.
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#10 Posted: 17:27:20 17/03/2010
Quote: cynder fan
a men funny-stupid.sory.

Cynder fan, I still don't know what's so funny about. If you're just laughing at the topic for no apparent reason, then...I don't know.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#11 Posted: 17:39:18 17/03/2010 | Topic Creator
Cynder Fan, please stop spamming this post. If you want to discuss what we're talking about here, by all means do. If you don't, then please take it to a topic about what you want to talk about. Everyone else, please stop encouraging the off-topic discussions by replying to them.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me