Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > What the hell happened..??
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2
What the hell happened..?? [CLOSED]
lapetitemort Green Sparx Gems: 177
#1 Posted: 22:08:54 05/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Okay, I'm sorry, but what the hell happened... did insomniac sell Spyro off to Sierra..? I hate the fact instead of trying to find gems for money... you need gems for life and magic... plus.. breathing fire, ice, earth, and electricity was supposed be a natural thing for dragons that can do it... (i know that only purple dragons can do all of them.. and the most dragons only breathe one).. and that the dragons didn't "magic gems" do it! I miss the old Spyro games.. where Sparx talks in buzzes.. and traveling to different worlds and collecting gems and orbs.. and not fighting these stupid apes all the time
---
--The Small Death--
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#2 Posted: 23:22:13 05/12/2007
um...you haven't updated your news from 8-9 years ago
#3 Posted: 01:25:39 06/12/2007 | Topic Creator
No, i knew what happened.... but just why tho... wut was wrong with the old spryo games... I know its a new story and all that... but jeez... the new story didn't need to be so cheesy
---
--The Small Death--
Shrazer320 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3564
#4 Posted: 02:05:57 06/12/2007
I have a very good friend like you. Really iritates me because whenever I try to explain to him the good and bad things about the new Spyro games, he gets all pissy and says the same damn thing again and again, so I'm not even gonna try to explain it to you. The best thing to do is just except it.
Crush Gold Sparx Gems: 2812
#5 Posted: 07:01:06 06/12/2007
Quote: Shrazer320
I have a very good friend like you. Really iritates me because whenever I try to explain to him the good and bad things about the new Spyro games, he gets all pissy and says the same damn thing again and again, so I'm not even gonna try to explain it to you. The best thing to do is just except it.

I know just how you feel! I use to had a friend that was like that. Even if I mentioned Ignitus, he began, and he really pis me ofsmilie He also began comment my drawings because they all where with the new Spyro, and one they I said "ENOURGH!!!" I began to give him a cold shoulder. He just wanna to be friends, but I didn't, course when someone says something bad about my drawings, they says something bad about me! But it not only because of that I didn't wanna to be friends with him anymore. It was also course he acted like he was my boss!
---
You can lie... *Smirks* But your bladder can't. Ha ha ha!
Quote: dark52
Dagnabbit.
Last edited at 07:02:10 06/12/2007 by Crush
Blackholes_Wolf Ripto Gems: 10760
#6 Posted: 13:03:33 06/12/2007
Quote: lapetitemort
Okay, I'm sorry, but what the hell happened... did insomniac sell Spyro off to Sierra..? I hate the fact instead of trying to find gems for money... you need gems for life and magic... plus.. breathing fire, ice, earth, and electricity was supposed be a natural thing for dragons that can do it... (i know that only purple dragons can do all of them.. and the most dragons only breathe one).. and that the dragons didn't "magic gems" do it! I miss the old Spyro games.. where Sparx talks in buzzes.. and traveling to different worlds and collecting gems and orbs.. and not fighting these stupid apes all the time

Omg
I would be sightly interested in this topic if it was posted in early 2006

Also Insomniac didn't sell it to Serria, they it sold to Vivendi
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 6094
#7 Posted: 23:31:16 06/12/2007
Actually, Insomniac never had the full rights to Spyro. He was always and still is funded by Universal Studios (who call their games division Vivendi Games, formerly Vivendi Universal Games, now something with Blizzard in the title after that merger with EA). Insomniac was tired of Spyro (one of the designers said himself after the third game that they felt like they'd done everything they could and wanted to do with the games). Sierra and Krome are just the latest batch of people to take hold of the Spyro franchise. Personally, I think they're doing a good job with the story side of things and the characters. The gameplay needs work, though.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#8 Posted: 02:33:29 07/12/2007
This is why...

Dark Spyro is good... he takes less damage (he also becomes temporarily invincible after being hit), and uses less breath energy (the magic Bezerk Melee doesn't even use magic)
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#9 Posted: 21:41:57 08/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Alright fine... i cant say i don't like the new games... it just pisses me of knowing what the old sypro games were like... if i was a new player coming into the series.. it wouldn't bug me.. i would just place the game in my could be better list.. you know... but the fact of the matter is that this isn't the old sypro i grow up with... sypro 2 was the game that got me into gaming... and the reason why I'm programming my own games...thats why i'm attached to the old ones... i don't want them to be forgotten in a why.. and pushed aside this crappy remake..
---
--The Small Death--
#10 Posted: 21:32:05 09/12/2007
The old Spyro games will never be forgotten, lapetitemort. They're still among my all-time favorite games (especially "Ripto's Rage"). At the very least, these newer games are keeping our favorite purple dragon in the public eye, which means more people will be looking for those older games, too.
destroyer2424 Green Sparx Gems: 341
#11 Posted: 06:10:17 11/12/2007
razz is right

for me the new beginning series was a breath of fresh air for the series

more complex moves harder fights beautiful graphics and voice acting
---
the legend of spyro is my favorite series of spyro games
I love playing the banjo and kazooie series
http://forums.kameo.com/forums/default.aspx
spyroandsparx Gold Sparx Gems: 2220
#12 Posted: 02:18:05 12/12/2007
Ok, most people don't know why Insomniac left Spyro. I'll fill you in. You see, Insomniac had a contract with Universal, and when the contract was over, Insomniac had to move on. Then they were making "Girl With A Stick" which got canceled, so then they made the Ratchet & Clank series.
---
COOCIE2 IS MY BEST FRIEND LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Spyro2008 Ripto Gems: 1353
#13 Posted: 02:22:31 12/12/2007
I really hate the fact that Universal only gave Insomniac games a three game contract. That was the Spyro series, and off it went.
#14 Posted: 18:50:19 12/12/2007
Insomniac was also tired of making the Spyro games by the time their contract was cancelled. With "Year of the Dragon", the team felt they had done all they could and wanted to do with the Spyro franchise. They were pleased with their work and they were fine with the franchise moving on.
sillyworld Gold Sparx Gems: 2060
#15 Posted: 04:31:38 13/12/2007

I can absolutely relate to this!
I LOVE the old Spryo games! They were definantly my favorite ones and still are to this day.
Though, of course I accept the fact that they're never coming back.
I have no problem with the new games, I actually like them a lot. smilie
#16 Posted: 00:06:57 19/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Yea, but the it doesnt have to move on like this... the new games, really do sux... if the story didnt change so much it would be alot better..at least the purple dragon is rare kind... that and a few little details stayed the same.. .. i hate the health system thing is pissing me off.. and not looking for running around looking for gems for money....
---
--The Small Death--
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#17 Posted: 00:14:43 19/12/2007
So, if I understand your point... you hate the new games simply because they are different?

That is a very bad reason. I suggest you let go of your nostalgia and try to appreciate the games for what they are.

As far as I know, you didn't give it a chance.
Dragongyrl1000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1939
#18 Posted: 00:16:11 19/12/2007
Yeah. I actually think that the new Spyro games are better than the old ones.
---
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who do matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#19 Posted: 02:10:24 19/12/2007
The new games are definitely something completely different than the old Spyro.

Krome tried to help TEN by adding in more challenging platforming and collectible items like with the original Spyro games.

The result? It just made TEN much more frustrating.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#20 Posted: 10:32:45 19/12/2007 | Topic Creator
hey i did give the new games a chance... i bought both games.. beat them both within a day.. (i mean you could do that with the old spyro games)... its just the fact that the game developer's didn't do a great job... it was like "hey spyro was a good profit.. lets change it bit.. and resale it..." at least the game developers could really put something great together.. because you have to look at the time were in now... look at the other games out there.. just ps2 alone... the old games, you would want to play over and over again just to see how fast you could do it, or to find everything in the game now, you want to play the game for the same reasons, but also to see the effects again.. or all the details (if your like me)

if you look at the new games in full detail, the graphics could have been alot better.. i mean alot!... the different breaths alone could have been fixed... fire doesn't look like that! i mean really... then the landscapes of it all... if sypro really was in a forest.. or a broke-down castle... shouldn't the backdrop look like it.. instead of a one room feeling.. also when your fall off the sides.. what are you falling from... and what are you falling into... at least in the old games, when you fell off.. you could see it was a floating island in the sky... in the new games its just a dark abyss...
---
--The Small Death--
Last edited at 11:14:26 19/12/2007 by lapetitemort
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#21 Posted: 11:29:39 19/12/2007
both games were decent, that's why I love them!
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
SpyroGamer2008 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4203
#22 Posted: 16:04:12 19/12/2007
It is pretty stupid what they did to end the Insomniac Series of Spyro. The reason they stopped making games like that after the 3rd Spyro game was because they thought they couldn't inhance Spyro's abilities. They thought they had come up with every ability for Spyro that they could think of. So, they stopped. And when they did stop, other companies took advantage of the situation, and made some Spyro games from their company. Pretty weird, huh????
---
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5243-6111
P.M. me if you want me to add you.
#23 Posted: 16:25:12 19/12/2007
hey i did give the new games a chance... i bought both games.. beat them both within a day.. (i mean you could do that with the old spyro games)... its just the fact that the game developer's didn't do a great job... it was like "hey spyro was a good profit.. lets change it bit.. and resale it..." at least the game developers could really put something great together.. because you have to look at the time were in now... look at the other games out there.. just ps2 alone... the old games, you would want to play over and over again just to see how fast you could do it, or to find everything in the game now, you want to play the game for the same reasons, but also to see the effects again.. or all the details (if your like me)

if you look at the new games in full detail, the graphics could have been alot better.. i mean alot!... the different breaths alone could have been fixed... fire doesn't look like that! i mean really... then the landscapes of it all... if sypro really was in a forest.. or a broke-down castle... shouldn't the backdrop look like it.. instead of a one room feeling.. also when your fall off the sides.. what are you falling from... and what are you falling into... at least in the old games, when you fell off.. you could see it was a floating island in the sky... in the new games its just a dark abyss...

I both agree and disagree with you. I personally think that the Spyro games made by Insomniac were the best. But, I love the new games of Spyro. ("A New Beginning" and "The Eternal Night" are the best.) They're pretty decent games. I also disagree with you on the "reboot" of the series. The "reboot" of the series might actually be what happened before the first game of Spyro was out. Or, if it is a "reboot", they actually might intertwian the game with some of the earlier games of Spyro. (There's a rumor going around that Hunter from "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage" OR "Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer" is going to be in the new game. Seriously!!!! In the new Spyro game "The Legend Of Spyro: The Eternal Night", Spyro reads a scroll in the Pirate Level, and it says that one day you'll be able to roam in the world of "Avalor". And at the very end of the game, you see a character with a bow and arrow. You don't actually see him-you only see his arm-but who in the series had a bow and arrow???? HUNTER!!!! So, they might even put some of the old Spyro games into the new one.) The Spyro games they made after the original Insomniac Series are all pretty good (with the exception of the glitchiness in the 4th Spyro Consule game: Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly), but the original series will live on in our hearts. And you can always re-live the adventure of the classic Spyro games. I'm even playing the old Spyro games!!!! (The Reason???? Because of the comment about Avalor they've made in the new Spyro games. I just can't wait for the new one to come out so that I can see if it relates to the old Spyro games.) So don't be ashamed for liking the originals!!!! I like the originals a little more than the new ones myself, and play them all of the time. And when Spyro's 10th anniversary comes around next year, what will they look back on???? The original Spyro games made by Insomniac that started the whole series. And even though the Spyro games made by Insomniac are done and over with, we'll always have a chance to re-live our childhood hero by just pressing the "New Game" link.
---
Gwenio Gold Sparx Gems: 2454
#24 Posted: 17:53:22 19/12/2007
The letter said "Hunter of Avalar".
#25 Posted: 17:58:53 19/12/2007
Well, at least we know he's probably going to be in the new Spyro game.
---
Dragongyrl1000 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1939
#26 Posted: 20:05:55 19/12/2007
Maybe. He would probably look better than in the old games...^
---
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who do matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess
#27 Posted: 20:19:50 19/12/2007
Depends on what they decide what Hunter should look like.
---
#28 Posted: 08:56:41 20/12/2007 | Topic Creator
Well they better keep him the way he was...... but want just to piss ppl like me off.. they turn him into a kitty with a gun... Just wait...
---
--The Small Death--
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#29 Posted: 08:59:41 20/12/2007
I like the old spyro games better then the new series. Spyro looks So retarded!!
#30 Posted: 14:57:43 20/12/2007
Too late about Hunter. He does look different. But, folks, that is called progress. I like the old games better for gameplay, but the new games have their own flare. If you don't constantly hold them up against their predecessors (which were some of the greatest games of all time; can you seriously expect anything to hold a candle to the old games?), then they're plenty good by their own merits.
#31 Posted: 17:39:28 20/12/2007
I hope Hunter looks better than he did in "Enter The Dragonfly". Back then, that was the best they could do to the graphics. But as technology evolves, Hunter back then continues to get worse and worse. I hope it's an improvement to the "Hero's Tail" Hunter. He looked better, and the graphics on him were good, but it wasn't the same as the old. But, we'll just all have to wait until the new game is released to find out whether he looks the same or not.
---
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#32 Posted: 19:05:39 20/12/2007
Well they better keep him the way he was...... but want just to piss ppl like me off.. they turn him into a kitty with a gun... Just wait...

Correction: Bow and arrow.

And also, I don't like your attitude, lapetitemort. I know I'm not an admin, but would you please stop having a usless cuss word in every sentence, please? I don't like people like you. So it seems that we will not be getting along.
#33 Posted: 04:45:18 21/12/2007 | Topic Creator
well i'm sry, i didnt know that a body function was a cuss word, excuse me...

But.. i know that hunter has a bow and arrow... i'm saying that the game developer's will "UPSET" ppl like me... by turning Hunter INTO a little kitty with a gun... INSTEAD of a Cheetah with a Bow And Arrow...
---
--The Small Death--
Aqua-Dragoness Gold Sparx Gems: 2851
#34 Posted: 15:04:31 21/12/2007
I don't actually think Hunter will upset me.

If you hate the new trilogy so much; Krome Studios; why don't you just burry your LoS games and get on with your life. Good gravy.
SpyroxCynder Yellow Sparx Gems: 1906
#35 Posted: 16:33:34 21/12/2007
and, I don't think that krome will make any major changes to hunter, considering Shadow the Hedgehog actually ruined sonic the hedgehog games, and so hopefully krome will look at this scenario and see that trying to turns a kids game into the next grand theft auto does not sell very well.
---
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
#36 Posted: 19:30:39 21/12/2007
I dunno... It worked well enough for Konker and Jak. smilie

Krome has made Spyro as "adult" as it's going to. The series is still a kids' series and if they were going to change it, they would have already. Granted, I'd love to see a "T" rated Spyro game just for the laughs. It'd be like "Drakengard" without the humans. smilie
Twilight Blue Sparx Gems: 742
#37 Posted: 06:15:11 22/12/2007
It can always get more adult, never say never unless you have proven the impossible. I'm still looking forward to a more adult Spyro game (just a little, nothing drastic).

P.S. I didn't know anyone else played Drakengard (its awsome).
---
As long as I don't have to do anything, I'm kool with it.
#38 Posted: 07:30:13 22/12/2007
Krome might go a bit darker than they did in TEN, but probably not much. They're following the epic story to the letter and the middle part of an epic is always the darkest. Maybe someday the series will be given over to a team who wants to make it more adult (and Universal will let them do it). I'm content with it being relatively kid-friendly.

I sort of play "Drakengard"... smilie When you have the game set on easy mode and manage to die in the third chapter and the game tells you maybe you should set it on an even easier mode...you kind of get the feeling that you're doing something wrong. smilie Though I'm not sure how one can do anything wrong with "Drakengard" since the gameplay seems to revolve around continuously hitting things. smilie Love the story, though, and I really want to see what happens.
#39 Posted: 23:50:30 22/12/2007 | Topic Creator
okay this is how you would make spyro a "T" rated game or maybe even "MA"... lol.... make sypro look like a real "blank" dragon... and when your fighting.... alongwith breathing fire and such... allow sypro bite and rip the apes... apart... blood and guts flying everywhere... blood hitting the sceen... and instead of the bodys fading away... just let the bodies lay there... thu. out the game life... that would get a higher rating then... lol just for kicks and giggles...
---
--The Small Death--
newt42 Blue Sparx Gems: 797
#40 Posted: 03:23:29 23/12/2007
I agree that the new Spyro games are way different from the old ones, but the new aren't that bad. (However the old ones where better.)
---
Play the Sega Saturn. It don't got spyro. But boy does is got game.
#41 Posted: 22:44:03 23/12/2007
I'm agreeable to some minor level of gore, perhaps some blood and definitely some agressive finishing moves and a much better (more original) story. If I found an M or MA15+ Spyro game, I would snatch it up, not for laughs but to have a serious evaluation of how it works. No doubt, the reviews would give it a bad mark just because it was once kid friendly and now its not for kids anymore (unless your me, I've been plaing M & MA15+ games since I was 5 yrs old).
---
#42 Posted: 04:14:28 24/12/2007
I think making the Spyro game that adult would really destroy the franchise. I'd say, at most, they could really only push it as far as Naughty Dog went with the Jak games before it would reach a breaking point with players. Besides, there's a distinct lack of fun-loving, cute, lovable dragons in media these days. That's part of why I love Spyro so much; he's not particularly serious (well, okay, LoS is so serious it's funny, but that's a different story altogether smilie).
#43 Posted: 07:15:49 24/12/2007
Well actually, TLoS's lack of blood is part of what sets it aside from the action games today like God of War (could they have possibly put any MORE blood in there?) but atleast GOW has interesting and complex puzzels that really test your mental ability and a pretty decent story.
---
Zerodius Yellow Sparx Gems: 1194
#44 Posted: 13:44:45 24/12/2007
... I'm weirded out. What's with the sudden Legend of Spyro hating? A few weeks ago, people were mostly celebrating TEN and how great and improved compared to ANB it was with its higher difficulty, the return of collectables, and much better platforming.

... and now, suddenly, the "Cheats" thread come up and people jump on the bandwagon here?

Is this some kind of trend? Is it currently "hip" to bash the new Spyro?

Rant aside...

The new Spyro games are different from the old games, true, but let us face it: the old Spyro was getting a bit old and considering the stigma of the serie left by Enter the Dragonfly and Shadow Legacy, rebooting the serie was the only logical choice.

Although I admit the new Spyro is quite a drastic change, it still remain true to Spyro's basis: small, cute purple dragon against hordes of cartoonish foes in surreal locations. Include themes of dimensional travel (Realms).

As for making a more adult Spyro... I'm against it. Although the new dark theme is welcome, I really don't see Spyro starting to do Mortal Kombat-like fatalities on foes. As for the story being cliched... well, sorry but as far as video game stories goes, Legend of Spyro is NOT that cliched at all. But I won't make an argument about it. Comparing it to the old Spyro serie in terms of plot is kinda ridiculous ; the old serie had, let's face it, a pretty "empty" plot.

So, what was the purpose of this wall of text?

The old Spyro (the three first ones and maybe A Hero's Tail, if you can tolerate its horrid plot) is fine. So is Legend of Spyro.

Some prefer the old. Some prefer the new. Both are good.

There you go.
Last edited at 13:46:16 24/12/2007 by Zerodius
newt42 Blue Sparx Gems: 797
#45 Posted: 15:03:26 24/12/2007
Quote: newt42
I agree that the new Spyro games are way different from the old ones, but the new aren't that bad. (However the old ones where better.)

lol!
---
Play the Sega Saturn. It don't got spyro. But boy does is got game.
#46 Posted: 22:35:33 24/12/2007
I can't speak for anyone else, but I started hating TEN because of its fans. >( I've gotten a lot of garbage from them of late and it's having a Pavlovian effect on me.

Pavlov's Dog
bell sound = drooling for food

Razz with TEN
TEN = turd-wad fanboys

smilie

I feel kind of blessed that I never played the games between the original trilogy and LoS. The amount of time between the two series for me was so great that they're literally different games in my mind. I can think of the old series fondly still, but every time I think of LoS, I get a stomach cramp. >( See, kids, this is why fandom is bad for you.

And the mental image of Spyro being like Kratos is killing me with the funny. smilie I've got to think of a way to draw that out. smilie

Personally, I was surprised by the semi-violence of Spyro's moves in LoS. That was some serious smackdown, and the enemies are really hurting. I mean, they hit the ground groaning and dying. It's morbidly fascinating to watch. The old enemies just yelped and poofed away.

Woops! Almost forgot to bring this up. About the LoS storyline. True, it is uncommon for video games to use the epic model of story telling as fully as Krome has (though most games use it in part). But as far as story itself goes, the story in the LoS series is a very common, very specific kind of story known as an epic. It follows certain patterns and, if you have studied or read/watched a lot of epics, there are very few surprises to the game.
Last edited at 22:37:32 24/12/2007 by Razz
#47 Posted: 02:30:22 25/12/2007 | Topic Creator
well it make the spyro game franchise stay the stay with the kiddy feelings.. and such... the game idea I had... just base that game off of spyro.. and call it the darker side...

and oh man, don’t get me started on GoW.... I cant wait for the Gow3.. on ps3... I want to kill Zeus.. so "blank" bad...(so ur imagination, since I cant use cuss words like piss anymore..lol)

but if you think about it, games like god of war, gears of war, halo.... ( games in which you kill things, and see blood, and where the bad guy really dies...and falling to ground and moan alittle and poof) SELL.... if spyro looked like a real dragon, the whole deal.. do you know how much better it would do... you would a get a huge new crowd of players then...
---
--The Small Death--
#48 Posted: 06:31:39 25/12/2007
Yes, but you would also loose a huge chunk of your market. It's a give and take with games and movies. Some series are designed the way they are for a reason.

And, like I said, there are a lot of games already that have realistic dragons. It's nice to see one that's not even trying every now and again (except that Krome did change Spyro and company's designs so they are more realistic).
#49 Posted: 10:11:38 25/12/2007
I like the quasi realistic look they have given everything (as if they made it real then cartoonarised it). My only real problem with the story is not really the cliche's, its more their inability to extend the story over more than six hours of play time. I don't actually want to see heaps of blood and gore, I'd just like a few finishing moves to add some extra pizazz to killing your enemies, just simply kicking the **** out of the guy 'til he keels over is boring, but if you can do a special finishing move (with some button sequencing), it would add some flare to the combat and break the monotony a bit.
---
Last edited at 22:24:50 25/12/2007 by dark52
#50 Posted: 16:38:06 09/01/2008
Well, it looked like he had a bow and arrow at the end of the game. But we still don't know that's Hunter yet. It could be a new character with a bow and arrow never introduced in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage or Spyro 2: Gateway To Glimmer. I really hope it's Hunter, and he looks similar in the new games. And I really hope they don't include guns in the new Spyro game. Since it's kid based mostly, I think they won't put guns in the new game.
---
Page 1 of 2 | Last
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me