Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
spank pets yay or nay
LeewweewoowheeH Gold Sparx Gems: 2351
#1 Posted: 00:19:23 01/09/2022 | Topic Creator
tbh this is just a ripoff topic its easy to tell whos pets were spanked

but its a good question how do you feel about hitting an animal to correct it
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#2 Posted: 00:26:47 01/09/2022
Never, absolutely never.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Beemo Gold Sparx Gems: 2828
#3 Posted: 01:27:24 01/09/2022
Only when I feel it is necessary. And I hate doing it.
---
I hate this name and I want to change it.
skylandersfan60 Gold Sparx Gems: 2386
#4 Posted: 01:45:58 01/09/2022
I spank my monkey.
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 424
#5 Posted: 01:48:40 01/09/2022
Pretty much the same answer as two topics ago, it's just animal abuse. When I was a kid, I was taught that it was okay to smack dogs on their snouts if they did something wrong, so I would. Eventually I noticed that they started flinching whenever I would raise my hand in front of their face for whatever reason, and it made me feel like the devil's offspring. Whenever I tried to hit them again afterward, I would just hug them instead, which definitely didn't teach them anything, but better than being an animal abuser.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
#6 Posted: 01:55:06 01/09/2022
Now I feel bad.
---
#7 Posted: 01:57:58 01/09/2022
^ Because of what I said?? Or something else?
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
#8 Posted: 02:02:57 01/09/2022
No, just the idea in general. I'm not trying to make excuses for it, but it's just the way that I was taught, is all. I don't mean any ill intention by it.
---
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#9 Posted: 14:20:20 01/09/2022
Never hit the animal to correct it, they can't discern those things are connected, just that you betrayed its trust.

Having said that,

i laugh so hard when the video is in 2x speed
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:21:46 01/09/2022 by Bifrost
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#10 Posted: 14:58:42 01/09/2022
I feel like there's a difference between a child and an animal. A child being spanked can reflect on why they got spanked. But an animal just sees it as harm
#11 Posted: 19:05:38 01/09/2022
You both make a good point. I will keep that in mind.
---
#12 Posted: 19:44:20 01/09/2022
Quote: somePerson
I feel like there's a difference between a child and an animal. A child being spanked can reflect on why they got spanked. But an animal just sees it as harm

But at the end of the day, both are still abuse.
---
#13 Posted: 21:28:22 01/09/2022 | Topic Creator
so this is my thought when i was younger on the internet i used to roll my eyes whenever i saw people who tried to defend child abuse and spanking your child and yet would preach gospel on why it is not okay to hit your animal i used to react like "oh yeah be even more of a furry why dont you its not obvious at all animals are so much more important than a human too right?" but as as i have stated before i did not like furries and i would associate this mindset as furry reasoning because of their fixation on animals and anthros and stuff i do not have a problem with furries anymore you guys are cool and i learned to stop being negative about it almost all of the people i saw make these point back then were furries and i only ever heard horror stories about them relating to all kinds of abuse too so my distaste was especially born of fear i have grown up from that and now equal my view back then as something similar to kink-shaming almost so i do not defend it

that said though

it is still too much to me to try and make a case against animal abuse when people defend child abuse and it does still make me question unrelated to being a furry why that person is saying this. my thought normally goes to "ah they were kind of a spoiled child right physical abuse wasnt really a thing so they just dont understand it cant blame them much" or alternatively ive also seen this "they in fact were abused/spanked whatever as a kid and its much easier to find justification for what happened to them than accepting the people they trusted and loved did something that is inherently wrong to them and they never knew it

do not hit or beat your animal do not spank it do not hit it on the nose do not use physical violence to correct an animal

i was always an animal lover not a furry but an animal lover but like Erika and Beemo said i was raised that for a dog at least spanking them on either the bottom or nose was the correct form of punishment however this lesson ironically came from both parents despite my father being anti child abuse himself... i couldnt equal that out in my head and there was pushback from me whenever it would come up "why should we hit them? i love them too i dont want to hurt them" gonna be honest when i would go to hit a dog in any form a like Erika said and see them flinch cry out or yelp i immediately would project myself onto that animal and project my mother onto myself... i was using violence as a means to correct them i am a terrible horrible person and i deserve the legitimate death

i would on several occasions do what i was supposed to do spank the pet and then run off to cry somewhere because i couldnt deal with it and i was stuck in a position where i was associating myself with my mother and i could not remove that thought eventually i stopped hitting them altogether because despite what i was being told to do i could not line it up with my morals and i began to protest it in general whever i saw fit to do so including this wonderful forum!

for anyone here who might be okay with hitting your dog or other pet here are some resources that explain to you why it doesnt work from a non-emotional point of view and simply a psychological and technical one also provided alternatives and why they work much better

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/An...ent-do-not-work
https://positively.com/article...t-hit-your-dog/
https://shibashake.com/dog/dog...nt-beat-hit-dog
---
YO! thanks for the party and the maserati yall rocked my body but now im gone BYE! skylandersfan60 https://i.imgur.com/EmuBp2v.png
#14 Posted: 21:28:39 01/09/2022 | Topic Creator
Quote: somePerson

theres not as much of a difference as you might think between the operations of the mind of a child and that of a pet and i sort of touched on that in the children smarts thread too there are however a few differences but theyre not good ones... both animals and children will discern the same thing from being spanked dont do that again or there will be punishment for it there is an equal chance that is how it will process between an animal and a child and an equal chance that it wont process like that but a child also can perceive a sense of humiliation and embarrassment which very often comes with spanking in fact it almost always does thats a degrading and shaming action to perform on your child think about it like this today... at your job... if you were corrected with whatever would embarrass you and shame you would you see that as an acceptable form of punishment if that was how we dealt with everyone were going to lead to a very insecure place with people in the world its just not the correct way to deal it

i see it as lazy parenting your too lazy to figure out your kids mental and emotional state so you resort to an easy tactic that you probably learned from you own parents JUST SPANK THEM/HIT THEM its easy and gets the point across. thats the same thing with animals it is a short term problem solver but in the long run causes more psychological harm to both the child and the pet

and i get it not everyone is a psychologist and not everyone knows better but you talk to most professionals and i really do mean most of them in the field and theyre going to explain in circles around you why from a professional psychological viewpoint spanking your kid does nothing just as it does nothing for you pet in fact if it does do something the odds are its going to have negative psychological impact and behavioral underdevelopment or negative devlopment factors introduced to your child in their later adolescent years and again to make the point this is the same in your pets

aggression
violence
fear
insecurity*
trust issues
embarrassment
shame
social misconduct

these are scientifically proven to be side affects of "simply" spanking your child let alone adding on further forms of abuse the ones above in the list bolded are also true for your pets *not sure if insecurity is the right word or term to describe the state of psychology for a pet

you do more harm then good to you kid when you spank them your not teaching them the right way there is no moral to the story and the mind of a child cannot often equal that situation to learning that what they did was inherently wrong as much as their brains will simply process it as if i dont do what i am told there is pain violence shame and embarrassment in my near future fear is the driving point to that kind of discipline NOT moral obligation

i am happy to say that by the year more and more countries around the world are realizing this and growing up passed our ancestors ways of discipline quick quote

"Thirty countries had full bans on spanking and slapping children at home or in school. Some of the countries with a ban include Estonia, Finland, Honduras, Kenya, New Zealand and Portugal.

Thirty-eight countries, including the United States and Canada, had partial corporal punishment bans, with spanking or slapping banned in schools but not at home. Twenty countries had no bans."

https://www.webmd.com/parentin...and%20Portugal.

and that was years ago look then there was 52 with my beloved France! https://www.goodhousekeeping.c...anned-spanking/

and then there were a total 59 with my beloved Japan! https://www.pacesconnection.co...to-ban-spanking

and i am so proud of them in specific but proud in general that most countries have adopted the scientifically and psychologically proven fact that spanking is incorrect and should not ever and never be considered an appropriate form of punishment for your child

so please

from someone who suffered all kinds of child abuse

please know that your actions toward physical discipline of your child creates a lot of psychological problems sometimes whether you or the child even now as an adult realize it at first or realize it down the line in therapy having a professional explain to them what is going on in there

here are some psychology and science driven articles for those of you who think that spanking or other forms of child abuse are okay

i know all of my linked articles is a LOT to read and research but doing so might provide you with a profesisonal viewpoint you otherwise just would not have been able to see yourself so please give them a read if you can both the pet ones and the ones for your children and you will probably take note that in fact there is plenty of overlap between the psychology of both of them and the psychological effects that it can have almost if not every single one of them that are very not okay

https://www.psychologytoday.co...f%2C%202013%29.
https://www.psychologytoday.co...-debate-is-over
https://childrensmd.org/browse.../spanking-work/
https://emotionalliteracyacade...ng-doesnt-work/
---
#15 Posted: 09:20:42 05/09/2022
I'm curious to know, to everyone: How do you discipline your animals if you don't go the hitting route?
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:21:01 05/09/2022 by Erikatastrophe
Thunderdragon14 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8087
#16 Posted: 14:51:35 05/09/2022
they do not understand it. only reinforces aggressive behavior and traumatizes the animal. they say positive reinforcement is the best way to go. although it's probably really hard in most situations. i think i accidentally positively reinforced my one cat to become more clingy. (maybe it could also be he's gotten a little older) it used to be almost impossible to pet him. he would get overstimulated very quickly (he still does to a point) and was not very lovey at all. every time he would act all lovey out of the blue i'd obv reward him for it. he definitely knows now if he sucks up to me i'll slip him some churu. but i know he does actually love his mommy
---
Quote: Alydol
go back to whining about your fish
YesterdayFemmey Yellow Sparx Gems: 1221
#17 Posted: 20:20:57 05/09/2022
i don't think it's necessary true that animals don't understand corporal punishment, but that, much like many humans, it doesn't teach them what you think it will. rather, it teaches them to fear and/or resent you. fwiw, many animals do physically discipline their young. i don't think we would find that in nature if they didn't understand it, unless that's the same in the animal world as a physically abusive human parent is in ours. maybe it is, idk. i'm not going to judge the parenting techniques of animals, all i know is that, however, if a giant alien creature that took care of me also suddenly smacked the crap out of me when i sat on the furniture, i would be petrified and devastated, which is not something i—or anyone should—have any intention or desire to inflict on anyone, including an animal.
---
How many centuries have I spent in this utterly failed life?
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me