Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
The hypocrisy of social media
Erikatastrophe Green Sparx Gems: 424
#1 Posted: 19:53:25 20/08/2022 | Topic Creator
I would like to start this off with a trigger warning just in case. I'll be bringing up a few sensitive subjects and I just want to let everyone know in advance.

With that being said...

I had quite the infuriatingly hilarious experience with Twitter (and a little bit of Facebook) a little while back. Especially on Twitter's end, for a website that claims to be pro-left or whatever they call it these days, they did literally nothing to protect their site from an account that was dedicated to transphobia.

So I got there by accident, I was on a Tweet about a rapper I like that recently switched their pronouns to "they/them." In the replies, someone asks if a straight person can be a part of the LGBT community.

Um... Okay. But I figured they're just not too familiar with the community and were asking a legitimate question, seeking a legitimate answer. Boy, was I wrong. Somebody answers them saying, "Yes, for instance, if you're a transgender woman and you like men." So this asshole replies with a, "Oh, so the answer is no, even if you think you're a woman now, you're actually just gay."

Oh hoh... So I'd like to take a pause right here and say that I personally am not a part of the LGBT community, but that doesn't mean you should just tolerate transphobia... I've actually made some close friends from this site itself that are transgender, so maybe that's why I feel strongly about it, but it pisses me off to see comments like this one.

So continuing the story, I take a look at this person's profile and it's filled with a bunch of transphobic comments. They seem to just find Tweets and articles about the subject and make comments and pick fights with people about it. And they are blatantly rude about it, too, there's no excuse for this behavior. I actually don't want to repeat some of the things they said, and I might actually get in trouble for it if I did because they were very graphic, disgusting and hateful.

With all of that being the case, you'd assume Twitter would take action on this account, right?

Right?

So I file a report on one of their Tweets, that is extremely difficult to do on Twitter nowadays, but the one good feature they added was that you can add multiple other Tweets from the person's account. Perfect! I get to give them endless examples of how this person just screams transphobia all day. If their account doesn't get suspended, these Tweets will at the very least be removed.

"We're sorry, but we do not see an issue with the content you reported."

Oh... I was legitimately shocked as I've seen examples of other people reporting racism on Twitter and those Tweets getting removed and the accounts getting suspended. I had no reason to assume it wouldn't also apply to a transphob.

At a later point in time, I did report a Tweet saying "Jews are terrorists" and I was informed the account had been suspended, so apparently Twitter doesn't tolerate racism, but it is A-Okay with transphobia.

As a bonus story, I reported a comment on Facebook that I'm not quite sure how to categorize exactly, but it was vile and disgusting. A girl makes a comment along the lines of saying that she doesn't like when guys force themselves upon girls, such as forcibly kissing them and dragging them away to places. A guy comes in and makes the comment, "You know you like it."

In case that idiot is too idiotic to know this, this is sexual harassment/sexual assault, and no, opposed to popular belief, girls do not like these things. He's clearly a sexual predator himself. But not according to Facebook, who I reported this comment to, and hit me with another "wE dOn'T sEe A pRoBlEm WiTh ThIs CoNtEnT" message.

Maybe all they saw was the comment itself, which gives them no context on why it's such a disgusting thing to say, but one, they should make their report system better in that case, and two, I think that's just me giving them too much credit, especially given the previous Twitter situation.

So yeah, despite the pro-left front that these social media platforms like to put up, they care as little about these issues as the people making the comments I reported do.
---
"You already said that." - Veruca Salt, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me