Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Memories from the Hunt: Reminiscing About Collecting / Brag Story Thread
Page 1 of 1
Memories from the Hunt: Reminiscing About Collecting / Brag Story Thread
Matteomax Platinum Sparx Gems: 5378
#1 Posted: 04:30:48 29/06/2020 | Topic Creator
Anyone have any good old hunting stories they want to share? I've honestly missed the hunt a lot, so I wanted to hear stories from the die-hard fans still active here.

One of my biggest scores ever was on the release day for the wave of SuperChargers that contained High Volt. At the time, people were going crazy trying to find the Patina chase variant.

I ended up going to my ToysRUs at around the opening time to pick up a few figures. I checked each nook and cranny on the front-of-store display to try and find one alongside Patina Shield Striker. Had no luck on that end until I noticed a bunch of boxes near the electronics counter.. Had an employee open all but one box with no luck, until we tore open the last box.

Not just one, but three Patina High Volts were inside. I was in absolute shock when I saw that and was just blown away with my luck there.

Yes, I couldn't refuse buying all three.. Call me selfish, I know, but I wanted to live in the moment and there were next to no hardcore collectors invested into the series in the area; They only would've been scooped up by eBayers who made rounds checking the stores every once in a while.

I've managed to also find multiple Stone Whirlwind, Stone Zook, Patina Burn Cycle, and Clear Stealth Elf over my time hunting.

Anyone else miss hopping from store-to-store hunting for them? I know there are plenty of collectibles that have chase variants, but nothing can honestly come close to the fun (and sometimes pain) that this series had to offer with new releases.
---
Will still be checking the forums every now and then!
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:42:35 29/06/2020 by Matteomax
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx [online] Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 12:55:49 29/06/2020
Don't have any positive stories, having to buy almost all of my figures online after Giants(and you bet the figures here would never be chase, these never worked in my country), but... The only reason I have Battlecast cards other than what a very generous fellow fan (that I'm forever thankful for) sent me a few months before, is because my order of Bad Juju had someone stamp the address and it was returned for having incomplete information... They lived in another continent. Me and the seller basically had to pray it'd actually arrive the second time, and they sent one of the big Battlecast packs that weren't selling anyway as compensation. Still gonna frame them or put them in an album someday!
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:56:19 29/06/2020 by Bifrost
skylandsfan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5309
#3 Posted: 01:58:18 07/07/2020
I have two stories that come to mind.

In early 2015, someone DM'd me on instagram asking if I still had the character card that came with my Polar Whirlwind. I hadn't gotten rid of anything, so I answered yes, wondering why something like that mattered. The guy then offered to trade me Spotlight and Echo just for that singular card. Best deal I've ever made.

Shortly before Imaginators released, I remember seeing posts on Instagram of people finding senseis early at Walmart. Naturally I went to check my store, but instead of a sensei, I found my first chase variant: Bronze Roller Brawl.
---
My life will not be complete until I own Sun Dragon
frightrider64 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1744
#4 Posted: 22:53:40 18/08/2020
I haven't posted here in many years now. I was a really immature kid when I first started out, but have been feeling nostalgic for when I was a regular and collecting growing up.

I remember it was always a big surprise whenever I'd go out and find new SAA figures. I had made it my goal to get all 32 before Giants.

Finding Warnado and Camo as my last really made my day back then.

It so fun speculating on things prior to Giants coming out, then so fun going out launch day to buy some figures.

Swarm was a real pain since I hadn't picked him up at first release.

Same goes for the release of Trap Team. Seeing that some were in small numbers in the cases here, going out to see a single Wallop in the wall at Toys'R'Us was always nice.

Trying to slowly piece together all the missing core characters I need.

Good times...
emeraldzoroark Platinum Sparx Gems: 5375
#5 Posted: 23:26:48 18/08/2020
Lemme think...

-My first Skylander was Prism Break, mostly because on my birthday I opened my sister’s present before getting the game.

-I could not find Flameslinger for the longest time, until the Empire of Ice released

-I once found a Stone Zook in a three pack. I didn’t get it, but it was cool to see.

-Scratch was nowhere to be found in my country, it was the first Skylander I had to order online. The others I got online were Wallop, Kaboom, the Land Racing Pack, Fiesta I think, Ambush and probably some others, I forget.

-I remember getting Blastermind, and was about to open it when my friends showed up. I was explaining that the Trap Team packs were stupidly hard to open so I went to the other room to get scissors. When I got back, they had managed to open the pack. I was so confused, and to this day I don’t know what black magic they used.

-I was paranoid some characters would become rare when Imaginators was coming out, so I saved up enough money to buy the Starter Pack, Kaos (might have been a preorder bonus), the Gryphon Park Observatory Adventure pack, Wolfgang, Barbella I think, and an earth and undead crystal.

-I still need to buy Grave Clobber and Pain Yatta
---
Soon.
cookieeater Gold Sparx Gems: 2495
#6 Posted: 20:26:34 27/08/2020
this isnt really hunting but my mom came home with the empire of ice when we've been looking for it for months nd i was so happy another figure i remember it took forever to find was regular ninjini and a friend got me scarlet before she even came to the us
---
my fursona is a hot dog
Skylanders fan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3952
#7 Posted: 14:19:53 07/09/2020
I'll give my two favorite hunting hauls. First one is when skylanders first came out that christmas time where it was a panic to find any after christmas that year and after going and seeing empty shelfs at countless stores I called a local walmart that had just gotten wave 3 in and we ran there to get smilie and the rest of the wave. The second was trying to get smilie as he was the hardest to get we tried countless stores that whole summer to just keep missing him and the very end of summer me and my dad went to a walmart while we were out and found he finally.
---
Yep still around just not posting much anymore
#8 Posted: 03:27:31 26/09/2020
Not reminiscing, but still a brag, I ordered regular Chompy Mage for $3.50 today. Best purchase I've made recently
---
Halvmorke Emerald Sparx Gems: 4422
#9 Posted: 13:20:34 27/09/2020
Quote: skylandsfan
Not reminiscing, but still a brag, I ordered regular Chompy Mage for $3.50 today. Best purchase I've made recently

HOW? O.O
---
Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#10 Posted: 18:25:16 27/09/2020
Quote: Halvmorke

HOW? O.O

Someone was selling their entire collection for $3-$4 on eBay, and one character just happened to be Chompy Mage. I also snagged Bowser and Dark Donkey Kong
---
#11 Posted: 11:04:01 28/09/2020
How lucky of you!
---
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#12 Posted: 17:07:15 28/09/2020
Quote: Halvmorke

HOW? O.O

Someone was selling their entire collection for $3-$4 on eBay, and one character just happened to be Chompy Mage. I also snagged Bowser and Dark Donkey Kong

ahhh awesome! i'm considering purchasing a dk and bowser myself
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
#13 Posted: 05:31:01 30/09/2020
Forgot to share, but Chompy Mage (and the skymiibo) have arrived. Focusing on the mage though, he looks so nice
[User Posted Image]
---
#14 Posted: 10:18:15 30/09/2020
Man, I hate you so much right now >.<
---
#15 Posted: 18:03:15 30/09/2020
what a good find, skylandsfan!
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:03:30 30/09/2020 by ThunderEgg
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#16 Posted: 19:22:56 03/10/2020
i could only find the damn xmas chompy mage at the time and have never seen the normal version in a shop ever. why they pushed that stupid xmas version is beyond me.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#17 Posted: 02:23:54 20/10/2020
Quote: Drawdler
Wow! I'm actually glad that I checked this forum for once.

The very first day, when the first game came out. I'd forgotten that Skylanders existed after it was announced for sveral months, I got caught up in school. I only remembered that it did because of some commercials on TV and I scrambled to find all the character info I could, it was a bit of a mess to get the figures back then, but a fun one.

I was really impatient to get a bunch of figures and bought them from scalpers over the years, mostly for the first three games. The one I remember the best though was Empire of Ice, and the one I bought from the scalper- well, the Slam Bam has this weird beta Water symbol on the underside of his base. Still have him of course.

Some error figures I bought and left boxed, Zap with some unpainted scales, Star Strike with two left arms, a Tread Head I remember some thing on him was inserted wrong or something, I think a couple others I can't remember.

When Sunburn came out, he was super popular, not like now. But I remembered going to buy him, and some other lady was buying three of his AP, I still wonder sometimes if she was a scalper, it's funny.

The day or a few days before Giants came out EB Games guys let me into the back of the store to see the toys early it was so epic.

When S2 Drobot and LC Hex came out here first I did scalp them I think I grossed like $200.

I miss buying the Legendaries from TRU. Back when I was getting Legendary Grim Creeper from them I also took a photo with a guy in a Pikachu outfit (like one of the official promo mascot outfit kinda things, not some cosplay) and had a hot chocolate in the shops.

That time I ordered Pearl Hex, and she arrived in a damaged box (I was collecting boxed figures at the time), so the seller sent me a second one for free. My mom has the first one now.

The time I got Clear and GiTD boxed variants for $50 each, at the time they were going for $150-200 each, not sure if more now.

Fail story: the one time I bought this Gold Chop Chop for $100 (he usually went for a lot more) and they never delivered anything so I got it refunded. It's jus funny because it's the only time that happened with me.

I remember when I was in primary school and the Silve and Gold variants were only $50 and I complained that was too much back then.

The time I got Red Camo, though missing any packaging or cards, for $4 or something.

I got a boxed Crystal Whirlwind for only $200 (normally goes for $1000+).

Once I was bidding on Gold Fire Kraken and let me just say I'm embarassed to say how much I actually paid, but someone who was also on Ghostroaster was part of that bidding war, that's how it got so high...

Buying Snowderdash on Ghostroaster after we opened our trading forum there, was cool stuff.

Buying Strata from GameMaster

Getting my custom Imaginator figure and some stuff from VV charity stream curtosey of someone from this site who was able to forward them... I forget who : (

EB Games had a contest where they would give away boxed Dark Spyro figures to the winners of these coloring pages, and I won one of them.

Matteo I remember you helped me with quite a lot at times so thank you. I still never unboxed that Hot Dog out of sentiment...

Buying Jin Saotome's Sprocket and Tech Portal. Still treasured.

The Yawn Traps came out here on my birthday and me and my mom both bought sets for ourselves, it's hilarious in retrospect.

I think I also found Clear Thunderbolt on my birthday, but I can't remember exactly... but, I remember finding him at Big W, when he came out, he was at the front of that display. I think I must have gotten there really soon after they put out the new figures, because it didn't look like anyone bought any yet. The only random chase variant I ever found. Still boxed and treasured.

I just helped a few people get stuff that came out here as well, but I can't remember specifics.

I helped one of my friends get Elite Chop Chop and that was actually how I found out he only lives a postcode away from me.

I think I'm actually missing a few, but I'll just come back if I remember them.

I miss Strata. I still do have the signed written letter from Guha and Karthik Bala. Take care of that book, and if you ever wish to get rid of it, hit me up. I'd pay more than what I sold it.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
#18 Posted: 06:53:41 09/12/2020
Here's a brag. Just picked up this lot for $25. Honestly, just wanted the glitter hot head
[User Posted Image]
---
SadVlad Green Sparx Gems: 200
#19 Posted: 00:40:21 10/12/2020
Good deals
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
#20 Posted: 21:35:21 11/12/2020
yo, nice!!!
---
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#21 Posted: 09:31:32 17/12/2020
that was a good deal skylandsfan smilie
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
SadVlad Green Sparx Gems: 200
#22 Posted: 10:00:43 17/12/2020
The Hothead alone is worth ten times what you paid for everything.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me