Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > your favorite/least favorite movies of 2019
Page 1 of 1
your favorite/least favorite movies of 2019
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#1 Posted: 03:19:55 28/12/2019 | Topic Creator
Hey it's the end of the year. So pankakesparx has to make his obligatory movie topic.

So yeah. Title. List your favorites and least favorites from the year.

My best list with 1 being the best is:
10. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
9. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
8. Spider-Man: Far From Home
7. Joker
6. Zombieland: Double Tap
5. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
4. Rocketman
3. Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
2. Knives Out
1. Avengers: Endgame

Didn't see enough movies to warrant a worst list, but the worst movie I've seen this year is going back and forth between Captain Marvel and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
---
Cool cool.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#2 Posted: 03:47:54 28/12/2019
I have only seen five so here it is:

5. Abominable
4. Toy Story 4
3. The Lego Movie 2
2. Steven Universe: The Movie
1. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
---
Bruh
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 01:28:02 29/12/2019 by Crash10
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#3 Posted: 04:02:27 28/12/2019
please keep in mind i recognize there are probably better made films n stuff but i recognize this is my personal favorites by taste and enjpyment and also i just didnt see as many movies as i usually do. rise of skywalker was dead middle so its not on either one. it was just okay

Top 5 Best:
5. Shazam!
4. Avengers: Endgame
3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
2. Detective Pikachu
1. Promare

Top 5 Worst:
5. IT Chapter 2
4. Midway
3. Pet Semetary
2. Glass
1. The Lion King (2019)

pls keep in mind theres plenty of movies i havent seen yet this year that i really wanted to, like Knives Out, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, John Wick Chapter 3, and Parasite
also whys joker not on this list? it didnt look interesting to me and apart from wonder woman and shazam!, i havent seen a DC movie that interested me personally
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#4 Posted: 06:30:51 28/12/2019
Out of all the movies released this year, I've only seen HTTYD3 and the TLK remake. Both had their good and bad aspects. The former is definitely my favourite of the two, however.
Also I got invited to go and see Cats tonight so I'll edit my post and let you all know if it should be categorised as best or worst lmao.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#5 Posted: 09:59:57 28/12/2019
OKAY

1. Cats
2. HTTYD3
3. TLK
---
I draw stuff.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#6 Posted: 12:33:34 28/12/2019
I didn’t watch any movies this year...
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#7 Posted: 13:00:57 28/12/2019
I only got seeing Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Detective Pikachu, Spider-Man: Far from Home and Knives Out, all of them I enjoyed seeing. I don't get to the cinema often because I live in the countryside, I can't drive and all my relatives are always busy. I might get to going again in January but I don't think I'll watch the new Star Wars movie this time.

EDIT: I've figured out my 5 most and least favourite movies I've seen this decade, not just the ones that actually came out in theatres.

Best
1. Birdman
2. Black Panther
3. Angel's Egg
4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
5. Your Name

Worst
1. The Guard
2. The Hangover Part II
3. Mrs. Brown's Boy Da Movie
5. Quantum of Solace
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:09:48 29/12/2019 by StevemacQ
Lunar Gold Sparx Gems: 2459
#8 Posted: 17:45:32 28/12/2019
good/fun movies!

-avengers: endgame (i remember looking at this art back in 2013 and wondering "the avengers is a cool movie and all, but i wish they could make a scene look like that with all the characters. 6 years later they did it and it was wonderful.)

-us (most heavily anticipated movie of the year for me. definitely lived up! even if it was messier bookwise than get out.)

-joker (left me tense the entire time. loved it)

-frozen 2 (didnt expect to like this one as much as i did. it was like the disney animation team made a dnd campaign based on frozen 1 and just said "screw it thats the movie" and i loved it. into the unknown > let it go anyday)

-toy story 4 (another movie i didnt think would be good. but man was it an amazing epilogue that no one knew they needed. it was very sweet and kinda tied up the only possible loose end in a very satisfying way.)

-crawl (just a ton of dumb fun)

-steven universe: the movie (the movie is okay fun for a fan, but the amazing soundtrack is what got it on this ranking.)

-detective pikachu (best video game adaptation ever. a ton of love went into this. the pokes look great.)

-stranger things 3 (its a movie i swear)

mildly dissappointing movies :/

-spiderman far from home (i went in hoping for homecoming 2. i got endgame epilogue. this one's on me)

-godzilla: kotm (too many issues to say i loved it, as badly as i want to.)

-it: chapter 2 (man i thought it would be scary. like, really rated R scary! the trailer was amazing and the first movie was great as a goonies esque 80s adventure movie, but i thought this one was gonna be the part where pennywise shows he means frikkin business. turns out, not really. the actors grew up but the writing and pacing and jokes stayed the same. there were so many jokes it felt like a marvel movie. the horror sequences felt kinda lackluster too, pennywise's power scaling was so immediate during some early scenes that i couldnt tell what he could do and what he couldnt. he looked like he was all powerful but he didnt really, like, do anything? and it just kept happening like that for each character? i lost all sense of fear whenever a main character went against pennywise after the 2nd time and the movie does it like 7 times. the only scary pennywise moments are the intro and the two kid scenes, because those characters arent major protagonists you have no idea if their gonna make it out. and i know its because of he book but god is the stephen king exposition about pennywise and the floating orbs and the native tribes super long and wierd and boring. way to take any horror out of the movie by explaining the fear in the dumbest way possible. i know it was like that in the book, im sure it was dumb there too. eh ive gone on long enough, it just could've been so much better imo.)

-scary stories to tell in the dark (scary scenes are great, writing sucks. its a bad trick r treat)

bad movies >:(((((

-happy death day 2u (man i was pumped for this one. i loved the first movie and couldnt wait to see how they evolve the horror. turns out they didnt! this is a scifi/teen comedy/time travel/drama movie? and it isnt good at any of those? yeah never watching that again)

-ma (bad year for horror movies)

-bird box (not bad per se, just excessively mediocre.)

-aladdin (better judgement is telling me to put this here rather than with the good/fun movies, but dont be fooled. i was thoroughly entertained by this poorly made movie from start to finish. im not ashamed to admit it, i dont even have that much nostalgia for aladdin! sometimes you just crave a mcdonalds value meal and thats okay)

-star wars: the rise of skywalker (jk i didnt even see it)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:47:08 28/12/2019 by Lunar
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#9 Posted: 19:34:24 28/12/2019
For me, it would be, in no order

Godzilla: King of The Monsters: An incredible visual spectacle and action film that's really a love letter to Godzilla and his fans as a whole.

Detective Pikachu: A miracle of video game movies. It's wonderful.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World: Love, love, love this franchise and it means so much to me. It's clunky, has issues and definitely the least good of all three films, but it's still damn good.
Spider-Man: Far From Home

Angry Birds 2: The first one is a guilty pleasure despite it's glaring flaws, but the sequel blows it out of the water. Genuinely fantastic animation, and hilarious comedic writing. I love this one with all my heart. Chuck is my spirit animal.

Avengers: Endgame: What can I say? It's a achievement in some regards. Not perfect, but still one of the best films this decade. The final battle and it's build up, though, is perfect.

Lego Movie 2: Just as good as the original, IMO. Super fun, sweet, thoughtful. A great feel good movie.

Knives Out: This is unexpected for me. Going by what else I listed on here, this is the fish out of water for me and hot damn I'm glad it is. This movie is ****ing amazing. Rian Johnson is one of my absolute favorite directos now because of this.....and The Last Jedi.

And, what is probably my favorite film this year

SHAZAM!: Hot damn do I love this movie. The story, the characters, the heart. It's all just so damn good. This movie came at a time when I needed it, which I can get to in a bit for my worst list.

But even then that's just a maybe #1 spot. All the movies I listed I really, really loved.

As for my least favorites.

Toy Story 4: Now, this isn't a bad movie, in fact I liked it, but this feels like a movie that wasn't needed and was only done for money. It well written and bold, but I just felt underwhelmed. I also fully disagree with the movie's ending of
Woody leaving
. That is something I think hurts the beautiful ending of the third film big time.

Jordan Peele Movie 2019: Oh gosh, alright, now, like TS4, this is a good movie with that it set out to do. Good commentary on class with a scary concept (Even if it's explanation and lore is absolute mess), well done music for the film. It really is a solid horror movie, but yeah, it's got too many problems with the explanation and lore when it comes to the you know what. You can go on and on about how and why. Realistically it makes no sense in to many regard it hurts the film.

As for why I refrain from saying the name: This movie, while good, is not something I ever want to see again. After seeing it, that night I could hardly sleep, and the following months I was anxious of being home alone (Until my dogs come to live with me and my dad for Summer then it just flat out stopped). This movie just ****ed with my anxiety to the point I was almost almost to tears. It's embarrassing to admit, but feel as if I should. It still freaks me the by hearing the theme song alone. I never, ever want to see or hear this movie ever again. Jordan Peele really went all out for this, and even he (And Lupita) are freaked out by the movie.

And finally finishing that, we go to the big one.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: ****, what a ride it's been for Star Wars the past few years. From the wide spread, major excitement for The Force Awakens (And TLS), to the major, major divide and chaos TLJ caused, and to the absolute disappointment of TRoS, it really has been just ****ing nuts.

I'm one of those guys who thoroughly enjoyed TLJ, who liked that they killed off Snoke and said that Rey's parents don't matter., but even then, I fully agree that, yeah, those shouldn't have happened (Or at least Snoke's death, I say keep Rey's parents unimportant). JJ decided to do his mystery box schtick to push general interest in the films (Which I think wasn't needed, you don't need mysteries like that to make any movie interesting) and that only caused fan expectations to grow due to fan theories and making sure it meets those expectations, and once Rian came in and said "HAH! PSYCHE!" it didn't matter, everything went to ****.

And TRoS is the result not just JJ, not just Rian, but Disney scrambling to make sure that TRoS make up for the "disaster" that was TLJ. It crams so much, alludes to so much, and sets up so much and it's just a mess. I liked the first part with Finn, Poe, Rey, Chewie and the droids, it was fun, and all these characters have great chemistry. Then the movie the movie goes along, I begin to like it less, and by the time the climax comes, I'm out right disliking it, where the highest sense of positive emotion I felt during it was "Cool", and nothing beyond that. It wanted to be Endgame's final battle during that part and ****, it flopped hard. The finale does have it's moments, mainly with Lando and Finn, but other than that, it was just.....bad. It tried to be a love letter to the franchise, with fan service , nostalgia baiting, and even unintentionally nodding to what was mainly a joke among the fan done as if it was a serious think they were upset about. This whole movie just reeks of wanting to by Endgame and it should HAVE been, but it just wasn't, instead, it just the result of no in-house MCU-esqe planning because Disney wanted to rush out the return of Star Wars as soon as possible for the sake of a quick, big ass profit. Star Wars deserves so much better. With the Mandalorian getting massive praise, hopefully John Favreau and Dave Filoni can become what Kevin Feige is to the MCU, because if anyone knows Star Wars, it's those to fans right there.

The movie did give us D-O and Babu Frik. Thank God for them.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#10 Posted: 19:51:31 28/12/2019
Oh (spoil'd the name for my boy hihd)
Us
came out this year too? Alright I saw that, that movie was crap and we all hated it because it was just so ****ing stupid. The story was dumb, the "twist" was dumb, the ending was dumb. Not going into it because spoilers, but I seriously hated the movie lmao. That is my worst movie of the year. Not a fun time, don't watch it it sucks.
Sorry to you guys who liked it, uggghhh it was just utter rubbish for us lol. My mum who loves horror movies even thought it was rubbish. Ah well ><;

Also why do new movies like twists so much. I love older movies because they don't rely on shock value to keep me interested >:((((
---
I draw stuff.
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#11 Posted: 20:41:16 28/12/2019
  1. Detective pikachu - I remember i had generally good impressions of this movie. didnt like act 3, but the neat cards and other merch cancel that out
  2. Steven Universe the movie - Had mixed but positive feelings about this one. didnt understand why steven ditched spinel, but did some outside reading which cleared things up. the songs are very popular at my college
  3. HTTYD3 - i remember having mostly negative feelings about this one. i think i felt like the light fury and visiting the dragons at the end was contrived..?
  4. Avengers: Endgame - i dont remember anything about this movie off of the top of my head. oh, thor was a thing. and time travel. also something about tacos. took me 10 min to remember anything about the plot, which is why its ranked fourth.

geez i barely saw any movies this year. i didnt even see promare...
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7713
#12 Posted: 01:26:44 29/12/2019
**** this topic made me realise i've only seen toy story 4 oops
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
KrystalLBX Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#13 Posted: 16:36:39 29/12/2019
Quote: Lunar

-frozen 2 (didnt expect to like this one as much as i did. it was like the disney animation team made a dnd campaign based on frozen 1 and just said "screw it thats the movie" and i loved it. into the unknown > let it go anyday)

I do love how in Frozen 2 there was more of an Elsa focus then Anna and actually explained more about the lore surrounding Elsa's powers and the sisters' heritage.

And oh my god the music <3 Elsa got TWO really amazing songs (Both better then Let it Go and I say that as someone who loves Let it Go) and Anna's song "The Next Right Thing" was so perfect.

I have a good feeling they are going to make a Frozen 3, but I hope they take another 6 years so they can make it even better.
---
Pokemon Shiny Hunter
Gastrodon Fangirl
Currently dating someone
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8459
#14 Posted: 06:35:45 30/12/2019
Didn't watch much movies this year
Best: the Irish men I guess
Worst: idk yesterday

Decade
Best: Scott pilgrim vs the world
Worst: love on a leash I guess
WAMBurt1984 Gold Sparx Gems: 2905
#15 Posted: 05:26:48 05/01/2020
Favorite: Shazam, Avengers: Endgame and The joker

Least Favorite:Brightburn and Hellboy
---
British, Geek, Playstation player, Spyro & Sparx fan (Duo not shipping) & Rachet & Clark/Crash/Xbox hater.
LindseyWednesdy Blue Sparx Gems: 769
#16 Posted: 05:31:31 05/01/2020
JOKER! Joker was best without a doubt. it was freaking everything. and so was Frozen 2. i have the best blending of taste. lol :'-)

whoops i forgot to add worse movie. not sure actually. i don't watch many movies only if i think i'll actually like them.

shout out to upcoming movie i want see badly B L A C K W I D O W
---
Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble! - Taylor Swift
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:17:04 05/01/2020 by LindseyWednesdy
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#17 Posted: 15:07:33 05/01/2020
there is a severe lack of rocketman love in this topic and i have come to fix that
---
now its time to get funky
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#18 Posted: 18:41:25 05/01/2020
Oh god, that's a hard one.

Endgame is obviously my personal favorite but that hardly counts because I watch it as a genuine fan and not so much as a moviegoer.

I have to say that objectively as a film, The Irishman takes the cake for me. It was a home run in every category.

However, I also want to give a shoutout to Waves because it really hit home in a lot of ways. It made me cry more than any movie ever has.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood was really personal as well - if you know what recently happened in my life, you know why.

Worst? Because I didn't see any bad movies this year, it's honestly hard to say (I saw Rise of Skywalker on New Year's Day so that's not 2019).....But I think I really have to say Joker. It was just the least good. And it was still pretty good.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me