Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Disney's Beastly Kingdom
BlueFox Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#1 Posted: 23:10:15 03/10/2019 | Topic Creator
I always found this part of theme park history interesting.

[User Posted Image]

Quote:
Beastly Kingdom was to feature mythical animals such as unicorns, dragons, and sea monsters, featuring realms of both good and evil creatures:

The evil side was to be dominated by Dragon Tower, a ruined castle home to a greedy fire-breathing dragon who hoarded a fabulous treasure in the tower chamber. The castle was also inhabited by bats who planned to rob the dragon of his riches. They were to enlist the guests' help in their scheme and whisk them off on a thrilling suspended roller coaster ride through the castle ruins. The climax of the ride was to be an encounter with the evil dragon himself, resulting in a nearly barbecued train of guests.

The good side was to be home to Quest of the Unicorn, an adventure that would send guests through a maze of medieval mythological creatures to seek the hidden grotto where the unicorn lives. Finally, the Fantasia Gardens attraction was to be a musical boat ride through animal scenes from the 1940 Disney animated film Fantasia. The ride was to feature both the crocodiles and hippos from "Dance of the Hours" and the Pegasus, fauns, and centaurs from Beethoven's "The Pastoral Symphony."

It proved to be too costly, and the company decided to focus on the cheaper Dinoland USA instead, using Camp Minnie and Mickey as a placeholder. Frustrated Imagineers went to Universal and applied some of the fantasy themes from Beastly Kingdom to The Lost Continent at Universal Florida.

The video below is a failed attempt by Disney to hold guests over. Beastly Kingdom was one of the major reasons Animal Kingdom was built in the first place, so, combined with the boring boat ride, people weren't pleased.

---
Where’s the account deletion button when you need one?
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:24:12 03/10/2019 by BlueFox
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#2 Posted: 04:06:29 04/10/2019
that being said, lost continent was wicked cool at universal and im a little upset theyve gotten rid of most of it since i last visited

universal's world building has always been a lot better than disney's imo
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 12:43:45 04/10/2019
I'm too motion sick to enjoy roller coasters but I LOVE wacky theme park history. Defunctland is very fun to watch, for those that don't know about that channel and like hearing about those types of projects.

Also is it me or are dragon/unicorn/etc-themed attractions always fated to have *some* weird or unfortunate thing happen to it
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4 Posted: 13:59:36 04/10/2019 | Topic Creator
Yeah, I don’t even like theme parks or rides too much, but I really enjoy learning about their history. Another favorite of mine is ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter. I can’t believe Eisner was really considering making an Alien attraction. This isn’t the first time a generally G or PG company has dabbled with making the Xenomorph appealing to children; there was supposed to be an entire G.I Joe-esque cartoon series, the only remnants of this being auctioned cels and a toyline.

The Stitch ride is ******* gross. I made the mistake of not reading any worst top ten rides lists. The chili powder spray during the burp gag actually sticks to your hand.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:02:47 04/10/2019 by BlueFox
TheFlyingSeal Diamond Sparx Gems: 8523
#5 Posted: 16:09:31 04/10/2019
You've unlocked my SECRET SPECIAL INTEREST

I'm still upset about the lost potential in Beastly Kingdom, because while Dinoland USA is cute, it really doesn't fit with the grand atmospheres that Animal Kingdom has. Asia, Africa, and Discovery Island have designs that make it feel like you've transported into different worlds, and it makes you feel like a small part of the grand design. Then you enter Dinoland USA, and it just feels like you've entered a state fair....which was the intention, so they got that down!! But to this day it doesn't fit with the rest of the park, I'm one of the people who won't mind it getting a major overhaul.

Quote: BlueFox
I can't believe Eisner was really considering making an Alien attraction.

Disney actually did put the Alien IP in one of their rides, The Great Movie Ride!! may it rest in peace....

But here's a clip of the section if you're interested (including the cowboy scene). The Great Movie Ride is a show boat attraction, so it's not meant to be much, but I still think they did a rad job with it!
---
#CynderIsAFireDragon
#6 Posted: 16:21:59 04/10/2019 | Topic Creator
Oh, I remember they had a scene there. I just think a whole ride in Tomorrowland was very uncharacteristic. Not that I wouldn’t mind seeing Xenomorph popcorn carriers and stuffed animals, kids walking around with stabby Alien tails instead of Navi ones. The bug creature that replaced the Alien was pretty neat. Yeah, Dinoland doesn’t really fit. It definitely nails the tackiness, but I don’t really know if that’s a good thing. Kinda jarring, especially when there’s an attraction full of realistic dinosaurs in an area dedicated to toony ones.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me