ShylaShadow Blue Sparx Gems: 613
#2 Posted: 05:27:41 29/09/2019
Mmmmm nostalgic
---
Last Spyro fan here...surrounded by LoS fans...cry in a corner
BlueFox Yellow Sparx Gems: 1984
#3 Posted: 05:57:32 29/09/2019 | Topic Creator
MMMM I need that good stuff

Nothing like booting up the game and being welcomed with Crystal Eye Castle. I think? The vid above just says Title Screen, but you hear it pretty much everywhere throughout the series. They recycled quite a bit. Not a bad thing at all; the sound of these games feels so unique.

*ty-yo-ki-yay intensifies*

What do you mean that’s not what they’re saying? It’s totally ty-yo-ki-yay, just like how Swap Force sounds like aggressive tambourines and SuperChargers is a mean tiny trumpet solo. That brass goes hard!
---
fox on the run
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 06:01:54 29/09/2019 by BlueFox
Bifrost Platinum Sparx [online] Gems: 6650
#4 Posted: 16:02:40 29/09/2019
I actually really liked that trailer's introduction, but man it's just bad memories because of the UTTER ****SHOW this forum was at the time.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
HeyitsHotDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 5090
#5 Posted: 16:07:50 29/09/2019
Hahahah, how nostalgia. Oh to go back and restart in 2011.
---
When ever you get scared or nervous about something, you gotta do your best to keep on smiling and Go Beyond Plus Ultra!
#6 Posted: 23:21:47 29/09/2019 | Topic Creator
"That's kinda weird though since you're a fish..."

I miss my purple pug son. I saw this trailer in a movie theater once. Very surreal moment.
---
fox on the run
ThunderEgg Blue Sparx Gems: 642
#7 Posted: 02:38:03 30/09/2019
lol did you ever see the ten trailers in movie theatres? I remember seeing one and being SO happy
---
I AM ETERNAL!
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2797
#8 Posted: 06:59:17 30/09/2019
I'm just glad someone else remembers The Beginning. It always seems to be somewhat overlooked. To me, that short is legendary.

Never forget Sun Dragon

I never left the nostalgia behind lul

And I still say this is the best game. I mean, which other one had this much put around it? I know that doesn't make it the best, but it combined with just as much being put into the game itself, and the game itself having the best quality of the lot in my opinion. You got all these shorts and ingame you have stuff like changing sheep's wool with Double Trouble, knocking over the tree, actual funny humor tbh, not everyone speaking English, the birds flying away from you and circling around, lava and water being something only certain characters could traverse- and they went all-in with the Portal Master stuff which made up and seriously strengthened the core of the series, and Heroics were actually fun, and UNIVERSE... And the 3DS game even was so damn good!

Even SF seemed to have a similar "fullness" with the modes and short cuts but... not quite, Universe was gone, 3DS game was blah, the story's lamer, a bunch of these things were cut, there's some serious fluff and grind, you can tell more is just reused assets (even if it's done well, SA MASTERED asset use), more standard level design, etc.

It feels like everything got the love it deserved for the first game- and it came together with fantastic level design and variety, thematic progression, feedback loop, character variety, reasonable balance, amazing pace- even Giants started reaaallly losing some of this stuff and those other touches, and then in SF and to a larger extent, TT, most of those touches were gone or really sparse, they kinda messed the feedback loop further and TT-onward gave nothing to old characters, and they focused more on gimmicks than anything it felt, and stuff like those touches were just gone in the latter two games. What other entry has something like that hidden Life bridge in Perilous Pastures? You can notice details like Hugo calling the starter characters by name or the bridge being destroyed or flying over water or stuff from the very first level (which is the weakest of the game but still truly charming). They didn't have to do those! They didn't have to put Quigley in the ruins with unique jokes for everyone, or the fireworks, or flying around with Flynn and getting dialogue with it, or the animations for attacking NPCs, or even having Location Pieces tangibly appear in the Ruins.

This game is so full of stuff they didn't have to do, and every single level has something like that, and the Elemental gates actually feel full and unique and fit the environment, and the level variety, and everything. I mean, hell, one tiny thing I've come to appreciate is just that the loading screens DON'T have Skylanders on them. They just have level skyboxes. By putting specific Skylander art in SF-onward a) it felt like an ad and b) it made others feel less special. In this game everything feels special. I don't know, I just feel like this game is lathered in little things I come to appreciate more and more, or notice anytime I play it. And anytime I play it, I just have fun, and I just find myself going to several levels per session because it's simply that addictive and solid.

I really really do love this game; despite some of its combat flaws, it holds up perfectly.

Honestly, I played TT earlier this week and I'm starting to feel like it's just the first game, SF, and SG to a much lesser extent that seriously hold up. (And maybe SI. I need to play it again. It's sort of dull but that game was always easy to play. And I assume it still will be. And that's worth appreciating.) Nevermind me saying TT had the best combat, I was wrong. But now I sound like I'm just dissing the others. It's just that comparing them to the first game... doesn't put them in the best light.

This is a case where you can be nostalgic for something that's actually that good.

I really think this game is a masterpiece but it feels lame just saying that, and I've said it so often, and it's more fun to gush like this and explain why I think so. And really I just scratched the surface. I feel like I could go on like this for every specific level and the thematics and lovely flourishes and unique moments I see in all of them.

Also the music was pretty good. I think it had more solid identity than the other OSTs of the series. Nostalgia definitely factors in this part but some of the songs just make me stop from how beautiful they feel. Like Quicksilver Vault. I was listening to Sethis Zurlo's upload of that song and I teared up a bit, there's one part right at the opening that feels like it's wrenching out my heart, where you just feel this immense scale. And they didn't smack you over the head with anything too obvious in the music I felt, which other entries were prone to do at times. And every song is original to this game, every single one. I don't listen to a song and think "oh, that's Sky Schooner Docks... but this section has nothing to do with air or skyships it's not thematically relevant", nor the ludicrous number of Falling Forest remixing/sampling. And the beats played over combat variants aren't noticeably repeated like even Giants would go on to do (TFB need to re-learn how to make dynamic music tbh).
I'm not a music expert but I think SOMETHING is in this music that the rest were missing and that SOMEHOW it really ties in with the game's aesthetic perfectly. SG still had this but also more generic and reused tracks, SF... synths and too much samey tempo, TT much more reused and the aesthetic was too silly for some tracks, SC... synths and too much ambience. I'm not saying those games have bad music because there are tracks I love from all of them but it's another area where comparing them to SA, it just isn't favorable for the other games.

And finally- sure, this is a Wii game, but all of this stuff comes through, it all shines. You look at the HD versions and they're coated in slime. TFB knew how to make this Wii game look and feel so good and everything, and surely there were just some happy accidents along the way.
I said this on GameFAQs of all places, but polygons don't make a game look dated. It's when those polygons get in the way of what they wanted to make with them. Or, to pull the example I actually used there- Unova games might have some pretty good aesthetics, but they look so dated because the aliasing is that bad, and they had camera pans disregarding how wonky that would make sprites look, at points. HGSS look much better.
I guess the threshhold for accepting this stuff is subjective but... I'm someone who finds PS1 and PS2 and a lot of Wii games easy to look at because you didn't have stupid amounts of post-processing in them and developers more often made games with reasonable lights and darks, where now we get lighter darks and brighter brights, also there wasn't a lot of particle clutter nor the idea that rendering every blade of grass is nessicarily better, so sue me.
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 07:25:16 30/09/2019 by Drawdler
#9 Posted: 19:00:02 30/09/2019
Quote: Drawdler

Never forget Sun Dragon

Never [User Posted Image] forget [User Posted Image] Sun [User Posted Image] Dragon [User Posted Image]
---
I AM ETERNAL!
#10 Posted: 03:27:09 01/10/2019
^ This post made me cry and think about my life a lot

So this is much more farfetched, but do you guys remember this moment? It's so good that I come to the level for it, alone, sometimes. But nobody seems to mention it. I wonder if it's just because it's so obvious how right that moment is, or if people just overlook it.

It feels adult. I don't think another moment in the rest of the series matched this one. It's really stronger because... it's just there. You can just discover it. Or maybe nobody will ever see it and it just lays there, forgotten. And it's all silent.

I also love the Undead gate in Battlefield because of its concept and it being another spot with a vague story. LLR's is much stronger but not to diss that Gate.
---
#11 Posted: 17:04:46 01/10/2019 | Topic Creator
That is a moving tune. I don't remember it, because I can't think that far back to Spyro's Adventure. But you're really making me want to play it again. Don't lul at my misfortune! smilie

Jk of course. I can just watch gameplay videos. It's ya boi I-Wei:

Alongside the Mutticus, the Leviathan is one of my favorite monster designs in these games. Purple Leviathan especially. And those things flying around in the background of Giants. Those aren't really monsters though. Did they ever get a name? I like how seamlessly they move, like they're swimming through the air. They looked like less threatening Leviathans with long tails.

Quote: ThunderEgg
lol did you ever see the ten trailers in movie theatres? I remember seeing one and being SO happy

I don't think I ever saw a Legend of Spyro trailer. I have faint memories of the last game, so maybe it was like a commercial or something.
---
fox on the run
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 18:33:09 01/10/2019 by BlueFox
#12 Posted: 18:42:15 01/10/2019
Quote: BlueFox

I don't think I ever saw a Legend of Spyro trailer. I have faint memories of the last game, so maybe it was like a commercial or something.

agh i think im showing my age then
---
I AM ETERNAL!
#13 Posted: 22:01:12 05/10/2019 | Topic Creator

I'm gonna sing the doom song now.

I've actually warmed up to Kaos a little bit. He's fun, but I still think we should've been given another big bad. Facing Kaos again and again got tiresome. Zero stakes. The series didn't really grow with the audience...

Except for a few moments in Superchargers, it might've regressed with the audience.
---
fox on the run
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:09:17 05/10/2019 by BlueFox
#14 Posted: 23:51:08 05/10/2019
Superchargers *and* TT. Having Kaos suddenly follow the camera and threaten YOU was some real ****in chills, must've scared some kids at the time.

Then in Imaginators, we humiliate him well past the point where it's funny and just put the guy that did FAR more horrible things in a pedestal, and it just ends. It's best to pretend that game's story never happened, like Ring of Heroes did.
---
I do art!
#15 Posted: 23:57:51 05/10/2019 | Topic Creator
I'm a bit fuzzy on all the events, so I didn't remember that. Sounds fun. I liked when the characters would directly menace you and mess with the portal. The tonal shifts of Skylanders is really something. One minute we're defending the world from the return of brutal, mechanical slavers, the next we're fighting a guacamole monster. But the Arkeyan Conquertron is also voiced by George Takei. It's charming. I just wonder if it's really needed.

If I don't take your villains seriously, there's a problem. Not even The Darkness, who's supposed to be this terrifying, corruptive and unearthly force, falls flat. I don't think they took their villains seriously either. I like goofiness as much as the next person—I just think they needed to restrain some of it.

Ah well. I digress. SSA's anniversary is coming up soon!
---
fox on the run
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 00:09:39 06/10/2019 by BlueFox
#16 Posted: 08:03:57 06/10/2019
Kaos actually fit in SA really. He's goofy there, but as a character, has a lot more point than he did in later games.

Because this game plays up the Portal Master stuff to the point no other entry did.
He even summons those evil Skylanders to mirror you.
There are CG cutscenes with him mulling in front of his Portal.
He's looking for the Sources, too. (Although it's pure plot convinience that he hands them over, I'll give that. One of the biggest flaws of this story.)

So that instantly made him a better foil to you honestly. And that's all you need to make him more interesting. Add to this that Eon also has more presence and I mean it's kind of a point in this game that Kaos is going after you partially because of his spite toward Eon. (I remember this being mentioned a few other games, but given Eon's weaker presence and Kaos' weaker surrounding themes, I never felt it nearly as much again.)
Also, of course, by this point in the series he wasn't there out of obligation.

I also feel a little more self-awareness with him not having done that big characters-to-toys laser, but his Hydra did it, so when you're finally there to fight him, he cowers behind that, and for the entire game, he cowers behind his evil summons. The later games moved toward fighting him alone, and I think TT is the only time that it worked.

So, The Darkness in this game wasn't forced to be a character. It was just a force of nature. Just more clouds in the sky. I found that way ****in cooler. And it balanced out Kaos more. He wasn't really the threat, but you did have to stop him because he was helping this legit, silent, massive threat. I guess that's just more self-awareness, of how Kaos alone isn't a serious villain.
(As an aside, instead of the prissy purple and pink it turned into, the Outlands' palette was red/black/blue in this game, and that looked cool as hell. By the way, black and blue? Counterpart to Eon's white and blue. Neato. I mean look at Kaos' projection and I swear, you'll even see that it's darker than Eon's spirit.)
And as the Darkness took over more of the world, even the Ruins changed, even the levels you went to got darker (then you go to the Arkeyan Armory and get this awesome feeling upon throwing on the lights and hearing the music swell). That stuff made me stop as a kid. Still stings as an adult- remember the silence of the Ruins at their darkest? And it's stuff I just appreciate. You nitpick the other entries to this level and I think they buckle. At least so much more.

And this is a thing that's more on-the-nose but remember fighting him on a chessboard? Whenever I think of chess, I always think of back-and-forth, and you gotta be calculated, so I get more of that feeling out of that final fight. You're both Portal Masters and you both gotta play your pieces right. Maybe it's just me.

Hell, remember how Kaos was meant to be Magic in TT, before Activsion said "nah unique trap to sell"? Yeah, notice how Kaos is right after the Magic-themed levels in SA? I swear, this can't be a coincidence, they put him right after the Magic levels because he is a Magic creature!
So Magic is like really regal and important in this game, and I mean, it kinda feels like you'd fit there too because you're a Portal Master- and the savior of Skylands. It makes you feel even more important, just, I don't know, maybe I've filled in too many of these gaps at this point, but it just always sort of felt like that to me, even as a kid, even if I didn't realise.
And it ties Kaos in more too, like that level progression and changing Ruins helped tie in the Darkness in this game. Like the Trolls are in the Tech levels, or overtaking Oilspill and forests with Tech. Kaos is Magic and he's a Portal Master which is kind of a royal/rare thing like the Arkeyans were and they're plastered in the Magic levels. So the Magic characters all have this great importance. They didn't just theme visuals around the Elements but sometimes told you stuff about characters and species with it, in this game.
Like Trolls and Drow being especially aggressive in invading so many worlds. Undeath is like an underbelly of Skylands, quietly it's all there cos we'll all die, and the way enemies are just ceeping there fits that. The final levels are serious so some of the enemies become less goofy and Weapons Master is easily the most stoic NPC of the game. I may be misremembering but I also think that once you beat their levels, other than those in Lair of Kaos, the elemental enemies stopped appearing like you neutralised them, or whatever, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Some of those things may be coincidence but I really think that they just work. This kind of stuff is why SA is special and not just a really cool game or good writing like its sequels. It's really more, and that's really why it's the best one, I think.

I actually have a soft spot for Hektore because he gives me that "force of nature" feeling too, and while he doesn't do it great is played seriously, but I seem to be alone on that front..., and he is actually a tangible character, so it's not nearly as effective. But 3DSSA's story is so simple, and still has the portal master thing, so I can personally forgive a lot of its faults.

Still, the problem with Kaos in TT is that yeah, the direct threats and fourth-wall breaking is cool... but it's written like a fourth-wall break when that shouldn't be the point. The point of the Portal in SA is that there is no fourth wall. You're part of the story and the game is written with that considered and embraced. SA writes Kaos' threatening you like some big twist. It's cool, but you missed all those memos, boss. It's honestly like the flimsy disregard for old lore and writing that would come out of SF. (At least in TT they actually made him cool and threatening, but those writing problems still stand.)

For all the problems with SF's plot it actually did a much better job at portraying Kaos as a Portal Master than SG or TT or SC.

Kaos has a couple other cool things in the other games but he works the best in SA because this is the only one with such thematic purpose around him. In all the other games he's like just the returning villain and his status as a Portal Master to mirror you is disregarded besides those cool touches that were in SF and TT's flimsy twist. I might be remembering some obscure scenes but even if so then the games just weren't consistent about it.

It always pisses me off how SC starts so strongly with the Portal Master thing and then completely throws it out. It's so dear to me not just because it's the OG thing but because it's SO unique. They (be that Activision or the actual writers) had absolute gold in "toys to life" and totally misunderstood why it was truly special (or, maybe the writers were bafflingly told to stomp it out?) and, while it's still cool, they made it feel like more of a gimmick in disregarding its original lore and the way it was written in, and the way you were explicitly part of the story.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 08:36:23 06/10/2019 by Drawdler
#17 Posted: 11:52:11 06/10/2019
Dunno, the TT twist felt at odds with Swap Force's meh approach to the interaction more than being theme conflicting on its own - Kaos has always known the player was there somewhere, but he never addressed the camera. It's like he can see the inner workings of the game rather than an unseen force, so he knows you're watching the cutscene, not just your Skylanders.
---
I do art!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me