darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > GDC 2016 Character Design Video and Related Concept Art
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
GDC 2016 Character Design Video and Related Concept Art
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6752
#51 Posted: 03:06:21 17/11/2019
I mean you can post offsite, I think. People left small crops of these artworks here for years, we just can't post these scans ourselves or DS could be in trouble.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
BlueFox Gold Sparx Gems: 2094
#52 Posted: 03:20:11 17/11/2019 | Topic Creator
BABY WHISKERS

****, now I have to write that Tessa fanfiction. The one that got away.
---
fox on the run
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:20:23 17/11/2019 by BlueFox
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2889
#53 Posted: 05:15:49 17/11/2019
Quote: BlueFox

YES. I REMEMBER SEEING THE HANDDRAWN ART OF THIS MODEL. I don't think they put it in one of the concept art books unfortunately, but I very much remember it.

Do any of you guys know the one I mean? Srs. ??

It's kind of funny seeing you guys fawn over the concept art books, or that nugget that SF was in development before SA was done (I knew that from Strata, I had assumed it was common knowledge that had been in other interviews). But I kinda laugh at myself just I don't know

It's really sad that VV clearly have some talent want to do more, but their models (mainly during gameplay) still end up looking restricted from subtle uncanny features and direction, and tons of tweening. It's still a little overly restricted, but look at that Riptide. Replaying SF and looking at the animations there makes me appreciate that animation in the first two games soooo hard.
---
Quote: dark52
Error: You
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 05:20:36 17/11/2019 by Drawdler
#54 Posted: 05:33:14 17/11/2019 | Topic Creator
I know the one. There’s one of an unused bug enemy as well, that I swear I saw before SF was even announced and just passed it off as something for another game. And yeah it being in dev way back then was mentioned in a few articles. Bifrost might not had known since they weren’t too interested in SF content then.

Well, we’ve got to fawn over something, Drawdler!!! I need subsistence! Sheesh. Get back to me when you finish that Skylanders reboot, k?

...i feel so dumb missing these games. i don’t even know why i liked them so much.
---
fox on the run
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:34:13 17/11/2019 by BlueFox
#55 Posted: 05:37:28 17/11/2019
Bug boy. Yea the astronaut-kinda very tall green one? I actually thought it was meant to be like a random personal thing by that artist. If you mean another one, I don't think I know it.

Hueh everyone should I think
(Of course I'm saying that)
I actually had a sort of thematic idea for something new but it's not related to landers I will throw it in your GB

maybe that makes them better. Not knowing. Honestly
Sometimes it's much more fun to not understand
---
#56 Posted: 05:48:18 17/11/2019 | Topic Creator
Nah, not that bug boy. That was a personal piece from humble’s livestream, yeah. I’ll look for the real one later.

I dunno, real confused on whether this is healthy for me or not. Won’t talk about that here though.

[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

The fox is on the hunt again. Here’s a few portal ideas:

https://www.jonathanthaidesign...rap-team-portal
---
fox on the run
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 22:10:25 17/11/2019 by BlueFox
#57 Posted: 12:04:54 06/12/2019
Minor beans:

The Jeweled Pauldrons were actually shown in Clutch. I don't remember where, but I very distinctly remember that they were, I remember looking through Clutch again after Imaginators and recognising them. The image of them in humbleego's swell lined style is burned into my brain. I don't remember if any other Imaginator part concepts were recycled from there, don't remember/wouldn't recognise that.
Sorry if that was already seen on that tumblr blog.

In Strata, one of the concepts for Grim Creeper was a small guy who had giant thread-of-fate scissors to attack with. From what I remember, Short Cut did pull the concept off a lot better, though.

I just decided to share those two because they're relevant to work TFB would end up doing.

EDIT HEY only just saw your post edit BlueFox, I'm so glad to see the frog man again. It's awesome to see their mood palettes for something.

Really prefer that wholly-crystal Portal and the physical proto seems better than I'd expect- I wish they went in that direction, the speaker in that design might be more senseless but I always thought the Portal ring + vault sticking out on the final take was seriously lopsided and it distracts me from its good elements. And just that it looked silly, like it was a bunch of things, with cool elements, taped together.
I get the idea but it doesn't come together to feel like a really defined concept for an object, it's like really defined elements instead, it's too weird. Maybe crystal portal + vault speaker in one would have worked.

But even the differences that are there on the ring design, squarer posts and tips on their tops, make a huge difference. This makes me even more disappointed in the final one.

And sure, the crystal one is much more even and pops out less by comparison- some would argue boring- but I think that's totally fine for what the Portal is.
For comparisons' sake again, the Superchargers Portal might also have lopsided weight and don't get me wrong, it's still not the best Portal but that particular issue is a lot less distracting because the weight is at the back on that Portal so it looks more sound, like a back wall, and there's still more leading into that big hunk of plastic at the back of it.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:35:54 06/12/2019 by Drawdler
#58 Posted: 04:20:30 07/12/2019 | Topic Creator
Agh, I wanna contact some artists and what not to get the deets. I-Wei and Dave first most likely. Watching those ETD docs and hearing about Jared Pullen interviews made it seem like it was easy, but I’d have no clue what I should ask and don’t want to stick my nose someplace it shouldn’t be.

I’m going to try to look for a few more blog portfolios tomorrow after my final in the morning. If I do build up to confidence to send some messages out, let alone if they actually respond, what would you guys want to know?
---
fox on the run
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 04:36:09 07/12/2019 by BlueFox
#59 Posted: 06:42:05 07/12/2019
Ask what's up with the "Golden" level in SF, is it an in-joke, is it really an unused level, whaddup, we know it exists now lol shout me out for that
Tonight I'm going to try accessing it soooo maybe hang on a second until then- I can't say it will work obviously, but there is an obvious and somewhat blunt method to try, I simply hadn't bothered with yet

I would absolutely love to know other stuff that's more coding-oriented tbh, it's not for the art guys
I would really love to understand why the SF Wii port turned out how it did. I also really want to know how Beenox went from that and TT 3DS to something as wicked as Nitro-Fueled, but that's a Beenox question and not Skylanders.

Uh did SC get more art revisions and wild concepts than SF because they seem to have stuck close to a lot of old concepts they developed on SF. Like it could just be they didn't show much wild stuff, but I can't imagine they gave a shot to as many ideas and concepts per SF level, I mean in terms of designing assets. Like they were that confident in the original ones, or maybe my recent theories of some stuff being rushed is right? I just don't know how to ask this question, I guess did SF levels change as wildly as SC ones in terms of the visual concepts, or did they just really try to stick to what they had.

Edit: also, Heroics. We know they're mentioned now, so how badly did they want them in SF and TT?

While at it- was there really a concept for an Arkeyan level in TT or was it just a wacky filename?

And I'd love to see idea developers had and wanted to do or maybe even developed somewhat but then Acti turned them down/cut them out/etc.

SI's story, whaddup

How far did Sky7 get but that's an obvious one

Are the HD ports of SA based on an earlier build than the Wii version

probably none of these will be answered but i will mull and let these stew and hopefully in 10 or 20 years someone can come out with info the fanbase would like

Edit.: too lazy to mess with those tools tonight actually but I have them to try and get into that level now
---
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 08:26:23 07/12/2019 by Drawdler
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6752
#60 Posted: 12:50:36 07/12/2019
Quote: BlueFox
Agh, I wanna contact some artists and what not to get the deets. I-Wei and Dave first most likely. Watching those ETD docs and hearing about Jared Pullen interviews made it seem like it was easy, but I’d have no clue what I should ask and don’t want to stick my nose someplace it shouldn’t be.

I’m going to try to look for a few more blog portfolios tomorrow after my final in the morning. If I do build up to confidence to send some messages out, let alone if they actually respond, what would you guys want to know?

Legend of Spyro NDAs are still up, so unfortunately so will be Skylanders because both are under Activision. ETD was easy because there's no dev team, no Vivendi breathing down their necks, and it's not the same videogame division of Universal anymore anyway.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
#61 Posted: 17:50:06 07/12/2019 | Topic Creator
Awwh. I wish would've done something akin to that Games for Life livestream again. And I probably should've asked humbleego when I had the chance, since it doesn't look like they stream anymore.

This one is most definitely old, since I remember seeing the first concept quite a bit before. https://bigjiminy.blogspot.com...y-concepts.html

I also saw a special event for a Pain-Yatta piñata. We created a Twitter controlled baseball bat, that hit a Pinata – shaped like a bad guy from the game – every time someone tweeted with the event hashtag.
---
fox on the run
ThunderEgg Blue Sparx Gems: 747
#62 Posted: 18:25:57 07/12/2019
that pain-yatta event sounds like it must have been a blast to watch. just the pinata getting hit at random intervals.
---
I AM ETERNAL!
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me