Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Separation of Artist and Art
DragonCamo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6606
#1 Posted: 02:24:12 29/07/2019 | Topic Creator
What are your thoughts on the concept? Separating, say, a toxic artist from their inspiring/your favorite art?

As many of you probably know, Melanie Martinez was accused of some pretty awful things. As a huge fan of hers, I was heartbroken to learn what "she had done." This turned into a conflict of if I should still listen to her music. The allegations hadn't been proven and Melanie denied them as well, but even so I still felt..strange listening to her music. I didn't buy any more merch and I deleted all but my favorite of her songs off my phone. Then Melanie made a strange statement and I felt even worse. Then, she went quiet. From then until now, people had told me that I should just not listen to her anymore, or others that I should separate Artist from Art. And I tried to listen to her music again, i really did. But i just felt dirty and weird, hearing a song about emotional/mental pain and remembering what she had been accused of. And now, she has resurfaced and has begun to promote her new music. I'm so conflicted on what to do, as I feel that if the allegations were true, why would she still make music? Why make music again at all, because even if she was innocent, her career was still all but ruined, as who would want to promote her? Today I've deleted the last of her songs, including the one that meant so much to me and helped me through so much pain, but whenever I were to listen to it I had to skip it. I want to believe she is innocent and seeing some videos and articles the allegations don't add up, but I just can't shake the feeling I get when I hear her songs.
---
Gay 4 GARcher
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#2 Posted: 02:50:00 29/07/2019
I really try hard not to listen to Lostprophets anymore
84skylanderdude Platinum Sparx Gems: 5528
#3 Posted: 04:15:15 29/07/2019
I felt similarly conflicted after the whole ProJared thing happened. I never watched ProJared but I did really enjoy Holly’s videos so I had a similar reaction to what you’re having here
---
“No one knows what the outcome will be. So, as much as you can, choose whatever you'll regret the least.” - Levi Ackerman
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#4 Posted: 05:21:46 29/07/2019
Yes I do tend to separate art from artist. Stuff like music and YouTube videos are very personal types of medium, so a person's personality (and maybe whatever they did wrong) may be more prevalent in their work. Now things like movies/shows/games are in an entirely different ballpark because of how collaborative they are, so I personally don't care if one person there did something bad; even if it's a higher up. Other people also worked on that and most of the time they are innocent or even victims of the ****ty person.

But this also raises the question of whether or not we should move on if the person owes up to its mistakes and whether or not we should support work that has supposedly harmful content. For the first point, I think we should move on if the person sincerely apologizes for whatever ****ty behavior they've done and I think they deserve a second chance. You shouldn't be punished for apologizing. The recent case regarding Male Byleth's voice actor in Fire Emblem comes to mind. Regarding the second point, I think that many people try to point out harmful content in old work and I'm like "well no ****", things were different long ago. If something made today is offensive though, it's ok to not support it, but don't go pointing fingers at the people behind it, maybe they didn't have the intention to be offensive. No creator does, that makes them get less money. But make sure your concerns are heard.

Lastly, it's important to note that there's a difference between an asshole and an actual criminal. I don't like to support people who committed actual crimes because well that's terrible, but I don't see the problem with a person being a dick. If that person has no reason to go to court, them I don't see a reason why not to support that person, even if they aren't very cool people to have around.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:22:47 29/07/2019 by Crash10
Vespi Gold Sparx Gems: 2866
#5 Posted: 06:18:27 29/07/2019
In an ideal world, I'd like to. Certain songs from people like Michael Jackson will play on the radio that I'll enjoy, and I can't deny how excellent Kevin Spacey is in films like The Usual Suspects or Se7en, but some of these people have done really horrible things.

Here's how I like to look at it: Michael Jackson, for example, is dead. He's not profiting off of his music when he's a skeleton. Those films that Kevin Spacey did, aren't giving him any money any more (and to be honest it's not like he even has a career anymore lmao). The way I see it, as long as you aren't supporting what they're doing today, you're okay because they aren't profiting on it much, if at all, anymore.
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8179
#6 Posted: 07:21:02 29/07/2019
Bad people can make great art and it is a conflicting situation.

For me it's really case by case situation for such. Like as long as they are not projecting their issues into their work, I'm okay with like watching their stuff and such. But if it's absolutely vile **** the artist has done, I probably cut them out of my system. Or if I cannot do that then find ways to make sure they don't profit from me.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
xXBeavcoonXx Gold Sparx Gems: 2628
#7 Posted: 11:08:44 29/07/2019
i tend to separate art from the artist. i can appreciate quality content even if the person behind it has done something awful.
however, once this awful deed starts affecting their content and the issues become one in the same, it has hard to keep enjoying said artist and their work.

tldr; if the artist can keep their personal life and this personal mistakes separate from the art they produce, then so can i.
---
now its time to get funky
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#8 Posted: 14:01:50 29/07/2019
I separate if they're not benefitting from it and it's not something extremely gross. Vespi gave some good examples, but also, if a guy just does some spicy ignorant takes (of the People who Like Thing Are Dumb kind), I'll probably stop checking their new content but I'm not going to feel guilty for supporting them in the first place. Sometimes you're also walking on eggshells even on your favorite normal stuff, like any Sonic game with Team Shadow because Omega is voiced by a certain person.

However, I'm probably not going to rewatch Brawl Taunts or Nin10doh anytime soon, though I guess they aged like milk already on MANY aspects. Giving Kirbopher any attention now can help him get new roles later. Same for Jontron, ProJared, etc, who survive off of word of mouth, unlike an old movie or old videogame.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me