darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Spyro: Reignited Trilogy > This game's gonna blow the modern gamer's mind!
Page 1 of 1
This game's gonna blow the modern gamer's mind!
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 00:16:02 24/10/2018 | Topic Creator
For the last decade, open worlds from Bethesda and Rockstar dominated the industry while Ubisoft has been constantly normalizing the notion of open worlds with large empty fields, excessive busywork and minuscule collectables that you have to hold down a button just to pick up an item.

The original Spyro trilogy is full of tiny open worlds with collectables, that feel great to collect because of the sound they make, and the various types of mini-games that don't overstay their welcome.

What will be a nostalgia trip for all of us will be something completely new experience for gamers who go for open worlds.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Dreamweaver Blue Sparx Gems: 810
#2 Posted: 21:32:39 24/10/2018
This has also crossed my mind. If Reignited really takes off with people new to the trilogy and to its style, wonder what doors are gonna be opened for new (or even current) games?
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#3 Posted: 00:43:14 25/10/2018
I absolutely agree.

Besides the obvious nostalgia, the true reason why I’m so excited to play the original three games remade is because I feel like they were incredible games back then which still hold up amazingly well, and the new coat of paint will only prove that even further.

I played the classics with my younger cousins and they are now eager to see me play the remakes (after I’ll finish my first personal playthrough, of course); it really warms my heart to see Spyro loved by a completely different generation used to such different titles and genres.

And indeed it’s exciting to see which impact it will have now that 3D platformers collectathons have returned under the spotlight.
Crash was a nice warm up but it’s now that things get truly serious.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4752
#4 Posted: 11:27:13 25/10/2018
I agree too! The good thing is, TfB modernized lot of (necessary) things like designs, gameplay, controls and camera to appeal modern gaming standarts! A thing that Crash missed imo.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:28:47 25/10/2018 by XSparxX
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#5 Posted: 12:24:33 25/10/2018
Well, some of that stuff is brutally obvious. Like, if they didn't use the second analogue stick for the camera and mapped it to the shoulder buttons like the "good ol' days" they would've been laughed out of the nonexistent room. <.<

With that said, I do think Reignited, from what we know, certainly has some more perks than N. Sane Trilogy. Biggest among them being the cooperation of Copeland and the option to use the original soundtrack, whereas Josh Mancell was left in the dark and no such option existed for N. Sane Trilogy.

Now if only we knew whether the old cheat codes are going to be in the game. I want my big head mode, damn it. ;~;
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#6 Posted: 12:46:36 25/10/2018
Quote: HIR
Well, some of that stuff is brutally obvious. Like, if they didn't use the second analogue stick for the camera and mapped it to the shoulder buttons like the "good ol' days" they would've been laughed out of the nonexistent room. <.<

I still can't understand who wants to control the camera with the shoulder buttons. It's so uncomfortable. x__x
---
#7 Posted: 13:28:55 25/10/2018
I’ve always played with the active camera, so I can’t really understand how much annoying constantly using the shoulder buttons must have been, and I sincerely hope it will return for the remakes as well.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we’ve yet to see evidence of it.

Aside from that, I’m indeed happy they kept the game up do date in terms of controls, aesthetics and such.
I won’t lie, at first I thought Spyro got the short end of the stick compared to Crash exactly because of those; “don’t fix what isn’t broken”, “it worked back then so it’ll work now” and stuff like that.
But only now I realize how lucky the purple dragon has been to be handled by a team which not only understood what made the original games so charming and unique but also did their best to enhance what could have used some improvements.

I used to hope these remakes would have been faithful to the pixels and couldn’t be happier to see my childhood not only reignited but also reinterpreted.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
ThunderEgg Emerald Sparx Gems: 3912
#8 Posted: 16:53:09 25/10/2018
I always used the active camera, too, so I never had any problems; but I've played around with the shoulder buttons in the past. They're okay for what I needed in the game, but I totally understand how people could get annoyed by them. I grew up with Spyro, so I just assumed that the shoulder button camera thing was normal.
---
I AM ETERNAL! https://i.imgur.com/8H3ij0j.png (banner by skylandersfan60)
Dreamweaver Blue Sparx Gems: 810
#9 Posted: 01:16:44 26/10/2018
I feel like the fluidity of the Reignited mechanics (which I'm assuming will be pretty fluid, anyway) would inevitably work better with using the R stick for the camera anyway. I'm not even sure they'd need to put the active/passive mode back in because of it.

But yeah, I also dig what Drek said about Spyro being handled in pretty much the absolute best way possible by what's seemed to be the best team for the job. I've always loved Crash just as much as Spyro, but the N. Sane Trilogy just flat out lacks the luster that Reignited has imo.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#10 Posted: 01:25:40 26/10/2018
Quote: Drek95
I’ve always played with the active camera, so I can’t really understand how much annoying constantly using the shoulder buttons must have been, and I sincerely hope it will return for the remakes as well.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we’ve yet to see evidence of it.

Not sure. I used the active camera, too. But when Insomniac moved on to Ratchet & Clank they gave us full camera control with the right analog stick and it was great. And after Super Mario Odyssey gave us that last year, I can't imagine playing a 3D platformer that doesn't let me do that. <.<
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#11 Posted: 07:14:34 26/10/2018
I can't imagine a game without full camera control with the right analog stick anymore.
AHT,ANB and TEN have it also.
---
#12 Posted: 15:40:59 26/10/2018
Ugnnn. It was so annoying in DOTD having to function with the semi-fixed camera... I get that it was likely due to the style overhaul, but MAN. I'd gotten used to having camera control in ANB and TEN. Not having it in DOTD was so jarring.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fun, either. I think there are cases where you don't necessarily need full camera control, and cases where it's absolutely needed. Like, not needed: Crash Bandicoot or other 2D or semi-2D games. Needed: most 3D games. Although, like I said before, in the original Spyro games, I never really had a problem with the camera.

Now that I think about it, it's likely because of the thing you can do where you aim with Spyro's head using the triangle(?) button.

Actually, that's almost like full camera control.
---
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#13 Posted: 15:46:59 26/10/2018
I mean, it didn't really blow my mind tbh

Probably cause Im used to playing games like this

(Okay not only does this make me looks like an asshat, but it also might make people take what I said out of context

I meant it as in I prefer games that have these more cartoony visuals, so I'm more used to this)
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:48:10 26/10/2018 by King-Pen Krazy
#14 Posted: 15:50:33 26/10/2018
I grew up with the originals, so my mind hasn't EXPLODED, but I could see it being a cool experience for someone not used to the visuals and mechanics.
---
Hardback247 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1074
#15 Posted: 15:51:45 26/10/2018
Quote: ThunderEgg
Ugnnn. It was so annoying in DOTD having to function with the semi-fixed camera... I get that it was likely due to the style overhaul, but MAN. I'd gotten used to having camera control in ANB and TEN. Not having it in DOTD was so jarring.

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't fun, either. I think there are cases where you don't necessarily need full camera control, and cases where it's absolutely needed. Like, not needed: Crash Bandicoot or other 2D or semi-2D games. Needed: most 3D games. Although, like I said before, in the original Spyro games, I never really had a problem with the camera

Dawn of the Dragon was a God of War clone for kids, and that meant having the camera being fixed, just like those games.
#16 Posted: 16:07:39 26/10/2018
Yeah, I know. smilie

I just wish the camera was less constricting.
---
ECDT1089 Blue Sparx Gems: 735
#17 Posted: 16:18:57 30/10/2018
In terms of quality, I think this game is going to set the standard for modern platformers. I can't get over the amount of detail I've seen in the recent gameplay and screenshots. There are certain things I've been paying extra attention to, and I'm like, wow! Toys for Bob is really going above and beyond here. I think I'm going to spend about 90% of my time just geeking over the extra details in the environments lol
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 16:23:04 30/10/2018 by ECDT1089
#18 Posted: 16:38:57 30/10/2018
Think of that its gonna blow the old school gamer mind too 'cause they are hating every modern gameplay and design changes in Reignited. I still can't understand the hate again modern gameplay stuff. <__<
---
#19 Posted: 17:55:59 30/10/2018
Quote: XSparxX
Think of that its gonna blow the old school gamer mind too 'cause they are hating every modern gameplay and design changes in Reignited. I still can't understand the hate again modern gameplay stuff. <__<

I’ve said it somewhere else, but I think the problem is that it’s all new for them.
And I mean all.

You know how many “hardcore fans” like to gloat about how they’ve never played anything after the Classic Trilogy?
I used to think they only referred to following Spyro titles, but now I’m starting to suspect they’ve never touched any other videogame since them.
At least most of them.

They aren’t really passionate about the media, only about those specific titles.
Which is fine as long as they avoid talking about what it’s clear they know nothing about: complaining because certain controls are smoother or more reactive than they used to be in a 20 years old game isn’t an opinion, is downright ignorant.

Don’t want to derail this topic by complaining about complainers, so I’m going to add that I absolutely agree regarding the amount of details.
Whether it’s an added animation, visual detail, creative touch or the inclusion of an already exsisting one, I’m sincerely impressed with TfB work similarly to how I was back when I played the Insomniac games for the first time.
Definitely going to take my time to appreciate all of them, will probably stay in Artisans quite some time after I’ll complete it. smilie

Can hardly wait!
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:57:25 30/10/2018 by Drek95
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me