Forum

Poll

Favourite Year of the Dragon boss?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Do you group the games in different "eras"?
Page 1 of 1
Do you group the games in different "eras"?
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2721
#1 Posted: 15:00:24 18/08/2018 | Topic Creator
For me, SA and Giants would be a classic "era", which I would kind of consider a subset of the first four games. Back during SA/Giants we got a lot of new supplementary material, everything was consistent and it didn't feel like we lost too much. Also, Universe only existed during this era.

I say I would kind of consider SA/Giants a subset era, because something about them carried on, I think: the fandom still felt like it was growing until around some point in TT. During TT, a lot of fans who played since the start left. You could just tell and you can really see it in retrospect and with this site's current state. But until then, a lot of them were still around.
Game-wise, we still got ambitious 3DS games and some more spinoffs as well. The sense that the fandom was growing until some point during TT? That could probably apply to the franchise as a whole.
I don't know what I would call this whole era, with the first four games... "thriving" or "growing" era? If I cut it in half, SF/TT could be called an "experimental" era- as during this time, the series' mechanics were completely redone, yet we hadn't settled on them (nor aesthetic) as seen with TT.

It's pretty obvious to group SC/SI as one era, even though I hate one and quite like the other. It's not about the quality of the games, how I'm grouping these eras- I think Giants is one of the weakest- but it's blatantly clear how many old fans were gone by this era, more and more mobile games and the like were abandoned (even the 3DS versions- obviously SI didn't get one and while I have a soft spot for SC Racing, it's not as ambitious as the previous 3DS games), more modern mechanics and aesthetic were settled on and the atmosphere of the fandom was different.
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:03:43 18/08/2018 by Drawdler
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6483
#2 Posted: 15:56:54 18/08/2018
Nope, it's too quick of a development schedule to really think of them apart. I just split from console to handheld.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Halvmorke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1810
#3 Posted: 16:21:11 18/08/2018
I do group them. SSA+SG are an almost totally different concept and experience compared to the rest of the console games. It's like comparing Pokemon Red/Blue to Crystal with Pokemon nowadays.
---
Halvmorke's Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#4 Posted: 19:44:47 19/08/2018
era 1
SSA
SG
SSF

era 2
STT
SSC
SI
exefile Yellow Sparx Gems: 1139
#5 Posted: 07:32:39 24/08/2018
SSA & SG: The no jump era
SSF & TT: The jump era
SSC & SI: The mediocre era
---
òøáÙSkß7-Ó´Éû»Ï\¾èÉ} Haha funny letters
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#6 Posted: 13:34:01 24/08/2018
2011-2013, Spyro's Adventure and Giants - the classic era. the purest Skylanders experience, these two games always go together.

2013-2015, Swap Force and Trap Team - the new era. jumping, and the light and dark elements are introduced.

2015-2016, Superchargers - the lost era. what I regard as Skylanders' lowest point.

2016-?, Imaginators - the legacy era. Imaginators is a welcome return to greatness (or just... goodness?) and Academy begins. There's a lot of uncertainty here. How long will Academy last? And will there be any more games?
Buchi Green Sparx Gems: 417
#7 Posted: 14:01:50 24/08/2018
I consider each game a different "era", with all other merch or stuff being lumped into that era (for example, SSA era had SA console, SA 3DS, etc; SI era had Imaginators, Academy, Ring of Heroes, etc.), if that counts.
---
Aspirat primo fortuna labori. Me duce tutus eris. Vox populi, vox dei. Ad meiorem, dei gloriam. Ad infinitum.
PM me weird stuff.
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2721
#8 Posted: 16:32:15 24/08/2018 | Topic Creator
^ Nah, that kinda makes sense. I just view those spinoffs and supplementary things as parts of the three eras I listed- even if there's more overlap between them- because I don't look back on them a ton. Mostly just the main games.

I'm not saying this in a derogatory way, but Academy is so different that I don't even group it in with the games. Plus, it's actually ongoing, when the main series has concluded to me. :p
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me