Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 6 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48 49 50
Legend of Orion: Dark Times (open) [CLOSED]
Felines Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10223
#251 Posted: 14:45:52 02/08/2018
When Latnok and Sere returned, Maverick left Raclaw's back, not wanting to be caught playing along like that. He wanted to say something, but wanted to make sure nobody caught him in such a silly, infantile moment...

Angora was still pleasantly sleeping, wth no dreams or nightmares this time, and completely unaware of what was going on.. She was feeling peace, and not even the night watch was enough to make her feel uneasy.
---
Real friends will be there... when you need them the most.
cyndego Platinum Sparx Gems: 6382
#252 Posted: 19:46:02 02/08/2018
Dex nodded and said "Well good that it went your way in the end. Tell me if you need a one hit kill to something". Then Dex was going to take his normal place again, but first gave a suspicious look to Maverick, almost lookin like he wanted To say something, but did not.
---
Cogito, ergo sum.
Spyroconvexity Hunter Gems: 8581
#253 Posted: 20:14:20 02/08/2018 | Topic Creator
“No I don’t I’m not feeling anything except my powers.”
---
SC
#254 Posted: 21:06:04 02/08/2018
Maverick took notice of the creepy, dark colored fox, and it was finally at that time that he realized there were other, smaller members of the group, and that Angora wasn't even the smallest. Two black foxes and other two, very bizzare looking, to whom he still had to introduce himself to. He didn't know who could talk, but was slowly coming into the realization that Veris was the only one in the group who was incapable of speech. He felt rather ashamed for ignoring them, but the dragons made such an impression of him that he forgot to notice the actual variety of the companions. But introductions would have to wait later. Right now, he was slowly returning to Angora's side to make everyone oblivious on what he just did.
---
A Guy Emerald Sparx Gems: 3639
#255 Posted: 22:20:41 02/08/2018
As Latnok had the fish finally scaled, he cut it up into several smaller pieces, which he laid across two spits. With care, he skewered and began roasting the pieces, eating some of the brined catwolf meat while he waited. The pain would persist; however, he still had the watch to conduct, and couldn't afford to show any form of weakness.
"Veris, sleep," Sere commanded, shortly after his inspection was complete. Veris walked into a corner, curling up and laying down. Soon the sound of his more relaxed breathing could be heard.
---
I'm just... a guy...
redwes Diamond Sparx Gems: 8550
#256 Posted: 22:34:26 02/08/2018
Meanwhile within a dream-- "I see...," Raclaw said pausing to think for a moment. He tried to mentally reach out and connect to anyone or anything, but to no avail. He couldn't feel anything-- not Shade, not Latnok, not the collar entity, and not even the corruption within him. He then tried to use his fire element; opening his mouth and attempting to breathe fire into the air-- but to no avail. "Oh come on...," he muttered to himself as he felt for the buckle on his collar. He felt nothing, followed by something embedded into the collar, and than the always present D-ring. He looked at Shade with a look of concern.

"If you can't sense anything ether, then we may have a problem. In this particular memory, my powers were still restricted by the collar and I was unable to use even the slightest telepathy-- long story short I can't use my powers here or contact the outside world. And this memory was at a point long before I was able to control or even remove the collar.," he said pointing out the lack of a buckle or other method of removal. "Let's look around while I think of how to get us out of here.," he added not wanting to worry the Dragolet too much.

In the real world-- Raclaw was still as motionless as ever.
---
<[ I’m Darin the gryphon! *screech* Want to know more or ask a question?]
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:24:18 02/08/2018 by redwes
#257 Posted: 23:28:12 02/08/2018
Quote: A Guy
As Latnok had the fish finally scaled, he cut it up into several smaller pieces, which he laid across two spits. With care, he skewered and began roasting the pieces, eating some of the brined catwolf meat while he waited. The pain would persist; however, he still had the watch to conduct, and couldn't afford to show any form of weakness.
"Veris, sleep," Sere commanded, shortly after his inspection was complete. Veris walked into a corner, curling up and laying down. Soon the sound of his more relaxed breathing could be heard.

To keep his mind distracted, Maverick watched Veris and the two humans interact. He got nauseous seeing Veris with a bloody snout, but he soon learned to get over it. It wasn't the first time he has seen blood anyway. More so, it was amazing how the older Guardian could command the wyvern to sleep, though similarly to Angora, he wondered if it was alright to train an animal to do something as basic and natural as sleeping. Unlike the troll however, he was more passive and accepting of the matter, and instead focused on Latnok's wound.
"Hey amigo, are you alright?" he asked, though imagining wounds and scars were nothing new to the bald man.
---
#258 Posted: 23:28:21 02/08/2018 | Topic Creator
“What!? You can’t get us out!? But I can’t feel my powers like they were normal.”
---
SC
#259 Posted: 23:58:52 02/08/2018
OOC: To clarify, Raclaw's and Shade's ongoing conversation is taking place strictly within a dream and isn't audible to the naked ear. smilie

Within the dream-- "In creating this modified memory, I have placed myself within the memory of my past self-- without taking into account the restrictions I had faced back then. As for your powers and the darkness, I only intentionally brought us here and I believe the corruption is unable to follow us here. For now, you are yourself-- but the corruption will unfortunately return once we wake up and the return to the real world. And about returning-- I may have an idea actually perhaps two.," Raclaw said said clarifying as they walked along a dirt path. "The first is to simply play along and eventually reach the end of this memory. While my powers may not work here, they are still in effect in the real world and thus keeping us within this memory. Altered or not, this is still an memory and we may wake up once we reach the end.," he said pausing to allow some time to consider it.

"It-- it may be also be possible for us the use the collar here to our advantage and leave early, although this does pose a risk.," he said not entirely certain about the idea. "This version of the collar doesn't allow me to access any of the useful commands. However, it does allow for another to claim it and access a small subset of those commands-- including the ability for physically removing it. Once removed here, I should be able to reach out to the outside world and end this virtual illusion. There is a catch though and this is a big one; I'll need your help on this one and I can't be entirely certain how it'll affect the collar in real life if at all." he started explaining.

"If the claim lingers and comes into effect once we step foot on a land where its magic isn't blocked-- you will effectively own me and gain access a similar subset of commands in the real world. While it won't limit my abilities or prohibit me from using it, it will increase the influence you have over me-- and possibly the corruption to a degree. It's a risk and I'll be honest-- I'm not entirely fond of the possible side effects. I'm willing to try it if you are, however. After all-- I put us here and I have caused consider influence on the course of the darkness thus far. For that-- I'm sorry. I will get us out of here though.," he then said mixing in some of his own feelings of guilt into the conversation.
---
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 02:05:23 03/08/2018 by redwes
#260 Posted: 00:07:18 03/08/2018
As Latnok continued to attend to his cooking, he nodded to acknowledge Maverick's question, without removing his focus. "Yeah, I'm fine," Latnok said. "Nothing new to me. Just a little careless - I know what to expect next time, however, and I'll be prepared. This wound will heal rapidly as I meditate or sleep, though I won't really have the liberty of doing either until the first watch is over." As the meat continued to cook, Latnok took a small piece of it, eating it to test its taste. Pretty decent meat, though not as good as the catwolf. "Wake up Angora in a bit and let her know food is ready, and to be ready for the watch soon afterwards."

Sere looked on at Raclaw and Shade with growing concern - however, he was not sure of the nature of their predicament. He decided to wait a bit longer before attempting to intervene, lest he provoke a violent reaction.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#261 Posted: 00:22:31 03/08/2018
Maverick decided to ignore Shade and Raclaw, wanting to stay out of their minds. Whatever was going on in there, he didn't want to hear about it. Sounded too complicated. So, he took out various fish on a stick from his bag and decided to take advantage of the fire to cook it.
"I hope you don't find it rude that I don't accept your meat. I'm vegetarian, well, half anyway. Vegetables aren't enough when it comes to nutrients, so I compensate it with fish." he explained, hoping that didn't sound weird. On his father's ship, he got too used to eating marine food, such as fish, squid and octopus, but the few vegetables that the Pirates had, he always ended up eating it since nobody else wanted it.
---
#262 Posted: 00:27:47 03/08/2018
Latnok smiled underneath his helmet. "Well, I found this thing while fishing, believe it or not. Seems pretty similar to a mudskipper, if a mudskipper evolved claws and fangs and was ready to drown anyone coming near the water. Although, it is possible to get enough nutrients from vegetables if you have the right diet. Believe it or not, we have a few vegetarian members; it does help that we don't exactly have a hard time growing nutrient-rich food, however." Latnok always found the concept of a vegetarian member of the Ardent Guardians quite odd; the idea seemed to go against the general idea of the Guardians.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#263 Posted: 00:43:14 03/08/2018
"That looks like an amphibian, and... I don't know. They just don't look... appetizing." Maverick said, not certain whether he should expand his diet like that.
"You can give the rest to the wyvern though. In fact, I don't think I will eat all this myself, so you can give it to him if you want. You can say it's from me." the young man then said, trying to amuse himself. The wyvern probably wouldn't understand, but it was still a fun thought. He would've given the fish to Angora, but she wasn't very fond of them, always preferring red meat and certain berries. Maverick remembered her stealing smuggled fruits from his father, or at least just the berries. He had lost count on how many times he had to save her from his father's wrath.
---
#264 Posted: 01:02:07 03/08/2018
"Well, if this thing is related to a mudskipper, it would be an amphibious fish," Latnok explained. "Nevermind that, though, I won't press you. More for me, I guess," Latnok said, unable to honor Maverick's request on account of Veris being asleep. As the food moved closer and closer to finishing, Latnok began emptying the hyperspace pocket in his bag, to prevent it from exploding should the magic wear out, a process Sere also began. "You know, one of these days I'll be too bold and misstep... not today, though. Not today."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#265 Posted: 01:42:27 03/08/2018
"Fish are usually safer to get... unless you encounter a sea serpent..." Maverick said as a joke, although he had his fair share of close calls.
"It's strange though. I ventured around this place for a little while and I didn't encounters y hostile creatures. Unless they're in the water?" Maverick wondered, thinking he has just been lucky. Or maybe the hood that everyone hated did the trick? Maverick still loved that hood, regardless of what everyone said about it.
---
#266 Posted: 10:13:03 03/08/2018
"Sea serpents aren't too bad, provided you know ahead of time you're fighting one and come prepared," Latnok said. "We in the Ardent Guardians are well-versed in fighting them and other dangerous monsters. Nothing new.
"From the sound of it, however, it would seem that you haven't gone hunting here. The nasty things here tend to show up while you're hunting, from my few encounters so far. So do you have a bunch of food stored away to last a while? I would offer you one of the fruits from the Tree od Vitality, but I'm all out."
After a brief inspection, Latnok determined the meat to be cooked to satisfaction. Laying out his tarp, he cut the meat into several smaller chunks, just like he did with the catwolf meat. "Wake Angora up and let her know that her watch starts in a few minutes," Latnok said. "Unless you prefer for me to wake her up." As he requested this from Maverick, he searched for something in his belongings which might relieve his wound, which had begun to become more painful; he couldn't find anything, however. He would have to wait until he could sleep.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#267 Posted: 17:00:11 03/08/2018
"Alright, I'll wake her, but it won't be pretty. Even during working with my father, she didn't like to be ordered around." Maverick warned, knowing too well how Angora was, and by the looks of it, she didn't change a bit.
"Be patient with her. I know she can be a bitter jerk, but she isn't a bad lady. She is a troll, true, but she's an angel compared to what I've heard about them. Asides Angora, I've never seen a troll before, but I've heard they can be even worse than ogres and orcs." Maverick expressed, wanting Latnok to try and be a little more gentle with Angora. The former pirate believed that if trolls were as bad as he heard, then it was probably the reason why Latnok was so harsh on his tiny friend.
---
#268 Posted: 17:41:53 03/08/2018
"That is absolutely none of my concern," Latnok said sternly. "I do not acquiesce to those who don't want to follow the same rules as everyone else. How she acts tonight will determine how I respond - she can choose to cooperate, like everyone else does, and we will have an easy time; or she can choose to believe she's someone special who doesn't need to work as hard as everyone else, and I will continue to work until that issue is addressed, or until we are no longer in a position where we are working with her.
"Tell me, do you think it's fair if she's the only one who we forgive for being uncooperative? The fox," Latnok said, referring to Dex, "has been uncooperative in the past, actively working against mutual interests, and has undergone much worse than some scolding as a result. I do not pity her or her upbringing; she says she wants me to treat her as an individual, but as an individual, she hqs proven to be nothing but selfish and uncooperative. When she proves her worth to me as an individual, and shows that she's not beneath anything the rest of us are, I will be satisfied.
"Now you can go ahead and wake her up, or, if you would prefer not to, I will do it. But she has an obligation for this watch, and she will do it, and she will cooperate with me as we have discussed - I will be the judge of whether she puts in a legitimate effort, so it would be in her best interest to actually try for once in her entire stay with us."
After finishing his rather lengthy explanation, Latnok took another piece of fish, eating it. The wound continued to ache - if anything, it was getting worse - but he would persevere.

Sere shared in the food Latnok had prepared, though he didn't have too much. Instead, h went back to jis efforts to replicate the magic in Angora's weapon. He felt as if he was getting closer... though there was still work to be done. Even if he didn't perfect it now, however, it would be a tool for the future.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#269 Posted: 18:23:12 03/08/2018
With Latnok's rather forceful explaination, Maverick could see now that the guardian's head was too much into his military rules and beliefs to actually consider why Angora, and probably some other people, received a rude treatment from their part.
"Man, you sound like a toned down version of my father. He was also about rules and order, but most of all about obedience. It was his rule and nobody else's." Maverick commented, not seeing Latnok as a bad person like his dad, but clearly a very bossy one.
"Fine. I'll wake her up." he said as he went to the troll's side.

Before he could shake her, Angora opened her bloodshot eyes, having been awake a few minutes ago.
"Don't bother Malo! I know what time it is!" she said bitterly, having been unable to sleep deeply knowing what awaited her that night. She had been resting facing the cave, so when she saw the entrance, she could see that it was already dark out. Maverick meekly stepped aside to let Angora pass, with her begrudgingly awaiting Latnok's orders. Maverick didn't need to spend a lot of time in that group to know that the troll and guardian were on bad terms with each other. He knew Angora well, and with what little he has seen of Latnok, it was no wonder why the two of them clashed so often.
---
#270 Posted: 19:27:39 03/08/2018
"If you have issues with her following the rules, Mav, you can do her duties in her place so she doesn't have to, unless you would prefer a storm claw or something of that nature eats you in your sleep," Latnok said blankly as Maverick went to wake up Angora. But he did, so that was not his concern.
"Excellent," Latnok said, as he got himself to a standing position. He winced as he put pressure on his injured leg, though his helmet hid his reaction. "Before we begin..."
Latnok pulled his bow to him, and with bow in hand, rapidly fired 4 arrows at roughly cardinal positions at the entrance. He would conjure an arrow web if need be.
"You should be getting some sleep now, Mav," Latnok said. "If these two don't wake up, you will probably be needed on watch, unless Angora prefers to do another shift with me."
Latnok then turned to Angora. "Now, listen up. We're going to get into some of the basics of spellcasting."

"Now, as you probably heard from Godfather Sere, magic basically allows you to affect the world in a different way than the regular laws of physics. Having some general knowledge of them is essential for the more complex spells; I will be teaching you a simple spell, however. Different forms of magic have different ways of being invoked, in addition to the magic energy you need for it; force magic requires force provided by a living, corporeal body, so it will be impossible for Neo to cast the spell on your behalf, though I expect you to draw power from him to start with."
Latnok then tuned in to get a better feel of the magical energy within Angora's presence; imaging it as a more intutive image, he telepathed Angora his analysis. "This is the magic within and around you. Now, to start with, summon your weapon; see how the flow changes. Then try some other things, and see what causes magic energy to flow where." He waited for Angora's testing with great anticipation.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#271 Posted: 20:07:35 03/08/2018 | Topic Creator
“I’d rather play along with the memory. I don’t want to risk more corruption.”
---
SC
#272 Posted: 20:08:08 03/08/2018
Amgora listened with a blank expression, imagining Latnok was enjoying this a little too much. She did as he told her to and summoned the weapon, still the same shape but with an opaque glow.
"There. Now what?" she asked, willing to obey his every command, but just that. She did, however, smiled a little when seeing his leg, enjoying the pain he probably endured. She had no doubt that every single one of his wounds was life's payback for being such a lousy human being.

Maverick took a spot near Angora's place, sitting down and preferring to watch how everything developed. It was rare to see Angora listening to commands, so he really was curious... or at least that's what he kept telling himself. In reality, he became too paranoid with what Latnok said to sleep a wink. This was a very foreign, and by the looks of it, a very dangerous place, so he was too nervous to sleep. He was surrounded by dragons, and probably many other carnivorous creatures out there. He was lucky he didn't encounter anything dangerous when he entered that realm, but he imagined it was far more dangerous at night. He didn't want to sleep too much and risk waking up with something eating him.
---
#273 Posted: 20:27:55 03/08/2018
Latnok took a sip of some dragon brew as Angora conjured the sword, givinf him a jump of energy and numbing some pain. "Okay, good, good," he said, hiding his excitement. "So your artifact is essentially manifesting magic energy into the weapon you have there, through whatever invocation it is using. Notice the flow of magic energy I have indicated for you in the telepathy. Now essentially, when you called upon it, it did that on your behalf.
"Now, what you're going to do is draw power from the artifact, and manipulate it yourself to cast a force bolt, instead of the artifact doing it on your behalf. Now, watch me as I cast it." Latnok turned to face the outside. With a brief wind-up, he thrust a palm outward, creating a brief puff of smoke and a ripple of air, which then proceeded to ruffle some leaves on a tree outside.
"Force magic is as much physical as it is magical. Magic - as most mages use, anyway - requires the energy, the focus, and the invocation. Now, you will be drawing your energy from the artifact - mages will typically draw their energy from a power source of some sort, like a staff. More experienced ones can draw it from the surroundings, and even more experienced ones - or some creatures, such as those of us Ascended - can generate our own.
"The focus will be on two things - your movement, and projecting yourself at whatever direction you are aiming at. The invocation will be the actual movement. Now, what you want to do is draw energy from your artifact, focus on channeling it through your arm as you wind up, then release as you finish with either a thrusting or punching motion - whatever you prefer. If successful, you will see a result simqr to mine. If unsuccessful, give it a few more tries, then I'll let you know what you're doing wrong. I fully expect this to be utterly exhausting, it being your first time dabbling in spellcasting; I expect you to persist regardless, however."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#274 Posted: 22:14:11 03/08/2018
"Fine fine." Angora responded, being as enthusiast as a sleeping koala. Even though she was listening to Latnok's every word. It was curious how he used the word staff. It reminded Angora how the stupid staff she used to own never listened to a single of her commands. But putting the memory aside, Angora aimed outside like he did and aimed... but instead of the magic speck Latnok cast, a small blue fireball came, incinerating part of the leaves from the same tree Latnok aimed.

Maverick had been watching everything, yawning with Latnok's explaination. He had a short attention span when it came to things he wasn't interested in. Was that a night watch or a night school? Why did Latnok wanted to teach somebody that he despised so much? His attention expanded when he saw Angora casting magic. It wasn't the same result as Latnok, but how did she do it? How did she even materialized the sword in the first place? Now he was undoubtedly certain that he missed way too much in her life. When he met Angora, she didn't even had the staff that once characterized her, so seeing the littl troll who knew nothing but brute strength back then using actual magic was something that truly surprised him.
---
#275 Posted: 22:53:49 03/08/2018
Latnok just looked on, dumbfounded for a few seconds. Though the spell wasn't cast properly, he wasn't expexting anything with the first few attempts.
"Well, that's... actually pretty amazing," he said begrudgingly. "It would seem that your experience with the artifact already gives you a pretty decent grasp of energy flow. The movement seemed right... so it would seem the focus is the issue."
He paused, removing his helmet to show his face in order to communicate better. "Now, let me reiterate. That was actually a really good job. A fireball is actually technically a more complex spell, as you need to transfer energy for the fire to burn as fuel at the base, which requires a more sustained magic source. Now, as for actually caused it.
"Some magic, such as many fire and lightning spells, are driven by what I like to call 'action' emotions - anger, excitement, resolve, et cetera. Now, if that were your focus, then that would explain the fireball. From what I would assume, you still bear some resentment for having to do this watch with me. I would ask you to put it aside just for the moment; force magic requires more focus on whqt you are actually doing. That is to say, your actions - it should be relatively quick and in tune with your motions. It's meant to be snappy, reactionary, perfect for the heat of the moment. See what happens if you focus on your movements." That advice given, Latnok stepped back and awaited Angora's next attempt, though hr was mindful of where the water was, should he need to put out a fire.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#276 Posted: 00:18:14 04/08/2018
Meanwhile within the dream...

Quote: Spyroconvexity
“I’d rather play along with the memory. I don’t want to risk more corruption.”

"Then we should keep moving.," Raclaw said with a slight nod and looking ahead. "I recognize this memory. You should know before we continue-- I've replaced Sandy, that is the family dog, with you in this particular memory. This means that you are taking the place of Sandy; and that any references to her may instead reference you. Just follow my lead and try not to be too alarmed. If I remember right, this trail should curve and keep going between two fences. From there, you'll meet my human family and I believe this was my twelve birthday.," he said recalling the memory and taking in the all the old-but-surprisingly refreshing smells.

As they walked, the trail did indeed begin to curse and the trees began to get more sparse. The grass began to get shorter and sounds of animals could be heard off in the distance-- the slight mowing of cows, the whining of horses, and even a sound of a distant sheep. What looked like two man-made fences could be seen just ahead of the curse, with two large pins both to the left and right of the long dirt path. "Raclaw! Shade! We've come back from the market-- we've got food!," a distant female sounding voice could be heard.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:32:37 04/08/2018 by redwes
#277 Posted: 01:39:00 04/08/2018 | Topic Creator
Shades belly growled “oh I’m hungry.”
---
SC
#278 Posted: 02:12:21 04/08/2018
Quote: A Guy
Latnok just looked on, dumbfounded for a few seconds. Though the spell wasn't cast properly, he wasn't expexting anything with the first few attempts.
"Well, that's... actually pretty amazing," he said begrudgingly. "It would seem that your experience with the artifact already gives you a pretty decent grasp of energy flow. The movement seemed right... so it would seem the focus is the issue."
He paused, removing his helmet to show his face in order to communicate better. "Now, let me reiterate. That was actually a really good job. A fireball is actually technically a more complex spell, as you need to transfer energy for the fire to burn as fuel at the base, which requires a more sustained magic source. Now, as for actually caused it.
"Some magic, such as many fire and lightning spells, are driven by what I like to call 'action' emotions - anger, excitement, resolve, et cetera. Now, if that were your focus, then that would explain the fireball. From what I would assume, you still bear some resentment for having to do this watch with me. I would ask you to put it aside just for the moment; force magic requires more focus on whqt you are actually doing. That is to say, your actions - it should be relatively quick and in tune with your motions. It's meant to be snappy, reactionary, perfect for the heat of the moment. See what happens if you focus on your movements." That advice given, Latnok stepped back and awaited Angora's next attempt, though hr was mindful of where the water was, should he need to put out a fire.

Angora clutched the sword, clearly holding her desire to scream. Why were they doing this insipid training? A night watch was just as it sounded, not some dumb training like Latnok was doing. But the troll imagined that Latnok was simply doing this so he wouldn't miss the chance of ordering her around like he has probably wanted to all the journey.
"Focus? You want me to focus with the way I'm feeling? The deal is I follow simple orders, and that's what I'm doing!" Angora reminded, really hating this moment. She was following Latnok's instructions, but that didn't mean that she had to like it or be enthusiastic by what she could learn from him.

Maverick watched the whole scene with interest and even a little fun. He shook his head, smiling, finding the whole ordeal very amusing. Angora could be an open book if she wanted to. He had no doubt she was really hating this, but this so called deal must've been very sacred for her if it meant putting aside her own pride and stubbornness in order to follow orders. The word alone was like a poison for her, and knowing her too well, he knew she would rather chew on a cactus than be doing this.
---
#279 Posted: 09:00:19 04/08/2018
"You know the deal," Latnok said. "If you're just going to give up, then be my guest, and I'll be sure to let Godfather Sere know. The deal wasn't just 'following simple orders' - the deal is that you can ut in an honest effort. And right now, you are showing an unwillingness to do that. Magic requires discipline, and part of discipline is knowing when to put aside your feelings and do what you have to.
"So you will continue, and you will get this down. It is that simple. There is no reason to fight me every step of the way when I am teaching you something which may save your life one day."

Latnok then shook his head, sighing before taking a seat on a rock. "You knoe, I'm the fool. Proper spellcasting requires discipline, something which you lack and have no capability for. Just do your watch; I have attempted to change my approach multiple times, but I get the same result every time. I'm obviously not going to instill in you some sense of discipline or duty; so I'm going to continue to hold you accountable for doing your fair share the same way I always have. Mav, if you have a problem with that, then, like I said, you can do her duties in her place in addition to her regular duties."
---
I'm just... a guy...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:07:27 04/08/2018 by A Guy
#280 Posted: 15:10:59 04/08/2018
Before Maverick could reply, Angora spoke first, clearly full of fury.
"Alright, we'll do things your way. I'll focus and all of that nonsense! Just tell me one thing; why this dumb training? Wouldn't it be more convincing for you if I don't learn anything at all? Wouldn't it be better the less things I know to defend myself? If it's to battle this Darkmatter thing, I don't think outside magic will help." Angora said, believing there would be no other reason for him to teach her anything except to be successful in the mission the world depended on. She still believed he hated her to the point of wanting her dead after all the nightmare was over. For the time being, she knew she would have to do everything Latnok's own, irritating way, even this absurd training or she was certain Sere wouldn't honor the deal.

Maverick sighed, coming to the realization just how rocky these two's interactions were. He knew Angora wouldn't have lasted five minutes listening to somebody's orders, but it was both admirable and confusing how she was still willing to do it. This so called deal must really be important to her if it went against even being her own, stubborn and independent self.
---
#281 Posted: 15:20:34 04/08/2018
Latnok raised an eyebrow, then shook his head again. "Why would I not want to make you more powerful?" he asked. "More power and a better understanding of magic means you are a better fighter, doesn't it? That improves our chances for success, as well as helping instill discipline which is useful for a variety of reasons; it teaches you to do what you have to do, regardless of how much you may personally dislike it.
"I have only one goal at the end of the day; complete the mission. The mission is to destroy this creature; therefore, every tool you have in your arsenal improves your survivability and effectiveness. So if I am able, I have no reason not to teach you. The others here either know magic already or are currently unable to use it in any form; you are the only one who does not fit either of those criteria." Latnok took a sip of the dragon brew after he was done speaking. He had a feeling that this was going to be a long night...
"As for battling. As long as you draw power from the artifact, which does work here, and cast it without the assistance of something which doesn't work here, you should be fine. Much like how I can cast force bolt, but cannot use my gauntlets to assist me in doing so."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#282 Posted: 15:32:20 04/08/2018
Angora scoffed and smirked, believing they were both wasting their time with this training. If ordinary magic worked on the Darkmatter, then why the need of a special sword and armor? Why did Neo had be part of this? Only he and Orion knew the real answer.
"Is that so? Hmm... well, the magic does come from the sword, so maybe, just maybe, it'll work on the Darkmatter nuisance. Alright then, proceed with the... training." she said in a sour tone, more to make Sere honor the deal rather than an actual desire for learning. Still pm she couldn't help but to think there was a hidden motive for Latnok to teach her...

Maverick wanted to say something, but decided it was better not to interrupt. Those two had very stubborn personality, and he was worried he'd be at the end of a stick if he dared to share his opinion on the entire matter.
---
#283 Posted: 15:59:37 04/08/2018
"Oh, I highly doubt a force bolt will work on the creature," Latnok said. "What it will do, however, is lay the foundation for some of our more powerful defensive spells - force deflect and force redistributuion - which may save your life in the coming battle. Now, about them and why I need you to learn force bolt first.
"Force bolt is the more simple force spell. Doing it gives you an understanding of the basics of force magic, which are key to knowing what to do to cast the other spells. Force deflect works by changing the angle at which an approaching force is moving; the goal with that is to do it in such a way as to minimize how much you actually need to adjust it, because the greater the change, the more draining. Force redistribution works by taking a force being applied on you and allowing you to modify how it is being applied. Pressure is equal to force divided by area; with a larger area, there is less pressure, and thus you can, for example, stop a projectile from piercing you by taking the hit over a larger portion of your body. Also handy for jumping so you don't break your legs on some jumps.
"Now if you actually stop being haughty, apply proper discipline, and take this seriously, we may be able to actually do this. Now, try casting force bolt a few more times, and let's see what happens."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#284 Posted: 16:56:20 04/08/2018
Angora tried very hard not to yawn. Was this magic training or a physics class? Why couldn't Latnok give simple explanations? Nevertheless, Angora said nothing and pressed on, telling herself constantly this wasn't forever. She didn't know for how long she was to be in this accursed group, but she knew it was only a matter of time before this Darkmatter attacked or they found it and this will all be over. She aimed at the same tree and concentrated as best as she could in that situation, but instead of a bolt or another ball of fire, a blood red laser came from her sword, exploding the tree, sending debris everywhere and shooting Angora backwards. Now she was certain the magic staff resided within that sword. It was that unpredictable and volatile the few times she ever managed to use it...
---
#285 Posted: 17:21:14 04/08/2018
Latnok's eyes came wide open as he jumped up in shock, taken completely aback by the blast of light. "What the hell was...?!" He quickly composed himself before continuing along, however.
"Okay, I get what just happened," he said confidently. "Light magic. Driven by a strong sense of will and righteousness, both good and bad - like a monk who is dedicated to saving people, or a tyrannical ruler who believes that their way is the only right way and looks to crush the opposition. As for the laser - a laser requires extreme focus and intent.
"So it would seem to me that you were a little too ambitious here - too much focus on the target - as well as driven by indignation at what you feel is unfair and unreasonable. Again - take it easy, and just focus on the movement and projecting your motion outward."
Latnok sighed before continuing. "We'll take a bit of a break. Relax, clear your head, and then we'll try starting fresh and see where that gets us. You have a general idea so far, however, which is more than I can say for most people when I first start teaching them." Latnok finished his brew, casually tossing the vial to the side.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#286 Posted: 18:38:46 04/08/2018
Angora sighed forcefully as she got up, pleased with the break but angry that this would continue.
"Come on! Shouldn't it be enough that I can produce magic, even if it's not your desired one?" she asked in the gentlest way possible, not wanting to prolong this to all night. She wanted to believe that Neo and her own survival experience would help her defeat this Darkmatter without needing Latnok for anything, but it appeared that he won't leave her alone until he had his way.

Maverick continued to be a simple witness, trying to contain his awe in seeing Angora using magic. Definitely too much has changed since he left her in that town years ago, and he felt guilty that he never had the courage to defy his father and run away from that horrible pirate life. He was somebody that pride himself in seeing the good in everybody, but much to his shame and sadness, he never managed that objective with his own dad. Every single one of the crew, even Angora, found it too hard to believe they were related. He attributed his good heart to the mother he never met and his fawn heritage. They were known to be gentle creatures and rarely violent.
---
#287 Posted: 18:58:42 04/08/2018
"Oh, no, definitely not," Latnok said firmly. "What good is magic if you can't use the spell you need on demand? You wouldn't go to battle with a sack, not knowing if it held a sword or a twig - magic is no different. Besides, like I said, casting force bolt will mean you will have the foundation for more powerful, life-saving defensive magic.
"We in the Ardent Guardians value defensive magic much more than offensive magic. There are many ways to cause injury; only so many ways you can prevent it, however, and our defensive magic is highly effective at it, between predicting blows, deflecting them, and neutering their efficacy." Latnok raised his hands to chin level, preparing to use them to illustrate his point.
"So, about force deflect. You know how what you see in a mirror changes based on how you turn it? That is because as light comes in at a certain angle, it reflects at that same angle, between the surface and a line perpendicular to the surface. Now, objects and force in general will reflect in a similar way, except there are also a host of environmental factors to consider. What you would seek to do when we start learning it is to use the spell such that you minimize the change in direction by keeping the angle of incidence - the angle of the attack in relation to how you are deflecting it - as small as possible, to minimize strain on yourself." Latnok was getting somewhat carried away in his description, without catching himself. A lot of magic wasn't simple; though he was experienced with it, he would often forget that others weren't.
---
I'm just... a guy...
#288 Posted: 19:11:52 04/08/2018
Angora gave an aside glance, wondering why she was even trying to slip away from this training when Latnok was impossible to reason with. Still, for once, he did make a lot of sense, and even though she didn't need magic for most of her life, this was a different realm and a different scenario, and she now knew Latnok wouldn't leave her alone until she gets this.
"Fine. Just give me a few minutes to clear my mind and we'll see what happens." Angora said in a neutral tone, wanting to take advantage of the break. She had to calm herself first and try to treat the training as something natural in order to forget how much she despised the teacher.

Maverick continued as silent as ever, when a sudden rumbling startled him. He looked and could see it was only Veris giving a particularly loud snore at that moment. From the dragons, he seemed like the only one who was sleeping deeply at the moment. He wanted to examine him so badly to satisfy his curiosity and get out of that boredom, but he was afraid Veris would suddenly wake up...
---
#289 Posted: 19:42:32 04/08/2018
"Excellent," Latnok said. "Just think of how much other trolls will respect you when they see your command of magic, just like any troll shaman. That is, if you decide to go back with them... of course, you're free to do whatever. As much as I would like to take a break after this mess, I know Godfather Sere will probably have me on the hook for the whole mess with Raclaw and Shade that he's dealing with." Latnok, noting the soundly sleeping Veris, moved to sit by his head.
"That's right, Godfather Sere said he was going to teach me wyvern riding," he said as he pet the sleeping Veris on the head. "We're all going to come home in one piece, Veris. We have jobs to do. But I know we'll make it."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#290 Posted: 20:17:06 04/08/2018
Angora scoffed at Latnok's comment, finding pathetic how clueless Latnok was. Was this his sorry attempt to help her?
"You still don't get it, do you? Trolls don't want me, don't you see? I can become the most powerful magic user of them all and it still won't make a difference! My size is a disgrace for them! Just as you hate me for being a troll, they hate me for being THIS size, so as you can see, one way or the other, I'm cursed!" Angora said, but she showed no signs of crying. She has done so much crying over that matter that she was done with it. Maverick got up and was about to say something, but Angora noticed him and shut him off with a glare. He was the only one whom Angora shared the real, shameful story of her life, and she wanted to keep it that way.
---
#291 Posted: 20:37:18 04/08/2018
"Well, that's where you're wrong," Latnok said as he continued to pet Veris. "I don't hate you because you're a troll - not anymore, anyway. You've shown yourself different enough from them for it to not be a reasonable comparison. I hate you because you're a self-centered brat who refuses to help others out, is always hostile to everyone, is extremely self-righteous, blames everything but yourself, always acts haughty, would let everyone die on a whim, and generally is everything that a good person is not. You won't even let me teach you without throwing a fit. And if that's how you're going to act, this is a waste of my time. I'll just wake either you or Mav up whenever you're up for watch." Latnok turned away from Angora, signalling that he was done with her.
"I'm not going to waste my time looking for some 'inner goodness', any more than I'd look for the 'inner goodness' in a serial killer. We are done for tonight. Finish your watch."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#292 Posted: 21:37:58 04/08/2018
It was at this moment Angora realized what a biased man Latnok really was. He admitted so himself that he hated her for being a troll, and didn't believe when he said that wasn't the case anymore. If he insisted so much that she was selfish, then she had the perfect answer for that.
"Why should I help others when others can't even accept me for who I am?" Angora said, feeling she had no need to help anybody but herself if everybody was always going to be against her for the way she was born.

However, before she or Latnok had a chance to say anything else, it was Maverick who got up, having seen enough. Not even Angora's glare or pleas were enough to keep him silent this time. He held her mouth and neck in order to speak.
"Un momento señor Latnok, I have to stop you there! A self centered brat? Self righteous? You have seen her yourself amigo! Angora has always been an independent soul, and yet she's doing everything she can to follow your training, even though she doesn't have to or even wants to. If she's such a brat, isn't it your job as an adult to guide her the right way? In the little time I've been here, Angora has tried to be patient with you, and hasn't even been violent to you! And all I've seen you doing is insulting her and always finding flaws in her! What do you expect her to do? Her own family abandoned her. Not even her own brother stood up to her! You have the Guardians, and I had my father and the crew, but whom did she had afterwards? Only me back then, and I've seen a noble spirit like no other, which surprised me even more when I learned she was a troll. But you... you clearly have no interest in getting to know her. You just judge without knowing anything, without wanting to bother going one step further! I thought the Guardians were much more than that!" Maverick lectured, full of disappointment and shame. He still believed this was all his fault for abandoning Angora, and now that he has seen just what a lousy treatment she has received from Latnok, it made him feel even worse. Maverick didn't even cared if he earned Latnok as an enemy for this. He couldn't stand this kind of injustice.
---
#293 Posted: 21:54:26 04/08/2018
Latnok did not care a lick for what Maverick had to say. "How many chances must I give her?" he asked Maverick. "Just because you tolerate an abusive relationship - not judging, maybe that's your thing - doesn't mean I will tolerate it. She has been nothing but hostile, despite my best efforts. You have seen it for yourself. I am not wasting any more of my time working with someone who doesn't want to work with me. She wants us to accept her for what she is. And I do - she is a selfish brat who was going to leave the world to die to spite one man, and would rather have her allies die in her sleep than perform a duty in which they mutually share.
"I have tried. My patience is not infinite, though. After a while, you have to realize that the juice is not worth the squeeze. It is better for my own sanity that I don't even try to make sense of this troll anymore.
"Not get to know her? You are clearly biased. I have gotten to know her pretty well in my time with her. I have tried different approaches, but the same garbage always comes out. She is the only one in the group that has an issue with sharing mutual duties - even Dex, a mercenary, went out of his way and risked his life to try to save Shade. And yet you expect me to believe she is good when she won't even stand watch?
"This conversation, and this game, is over - I'm not going to try to work my hardest to improve someone more content to wallow in self-pity and blame the world than try to improve anything, and no half-assed attempt at appeasement is going to change that. If she doesn't want to cooperate with anyone, very well. She can go outside and sleep and take her chances. But while we are all together, we all work together. Nothing less.
"Let me break this down into terms you can understand. Do you think a cartographer shouldn't have to do any work on a boat just because he isn't a sailor? Do you think it's okay for him to just watch as someone falls overboard, figuring that someone else will help? Okay to not fish even though others fish and he eats their food? Sure, he has a job to do; so does everyone else.
"So no; if your idea of patience is being rude and biting the hand that feeds, like she has done right in front of you as you defend her, then yes, maybe she is what you would call patient. But she is everything a good person should NOT be. No one in the group has the issues she does; even I wasn't that nasty to people in my time before the Guardians. I will not accept excuses for her. Excuses don't produce results. And in the real world, results are what count."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#294 Posted: 22:18:48 04/08/2018
Before Maverick could reply, Angora got free, and looked at the young man who was once her friend.
"You see how he is? SEE HOW HE IS? What did I do this time? All I said to him is that not even trolls accept me, that's all! Did I say I wanted this training to stop? All I did was express myself, and look how he treats me!" Angora said, wanting to spare Maverick the waste of time that was trying to reason with the racist human.

Maverick said nothing and pulled her away from Latnok, wondering how somebody could be so heartless. All Angora did was express something very personal, just like she said, something that was the very reality. Trolls didn't accepted her, that's what she commented. Was Latnok insulted when she said he hated her? Why would he be insulted by that? As far as Maverick was concerned, that was also the truth.
---
#295 Posted: 22:27:47 04/08/2018
"Yes, all you did was express blatant falsehoods and refuse to own up to your own shortcomings," Latnok said. "You insist that I hate you for being a troll, when you have shown absolutely no positive traits to me, and the one man defending you claims that you're good after you attacked him without him attacking you - something you criticize US for. Blatant hypocrisy. You know what normal people know that behavior as? Being nice to someone after they tolerate you physically assaulting them because they rubbed you the wrong way? Abusive. Exploitative. Manipulative. 'Nice' is not one of those behaviors.
"Now don't waste my time anymore. It's obvious you don't want to learn - as you just told me you wanted to stop the training, despite your current claims to the contrary - so we'll do each other a favor and stop wasting time for either of us. You would think that trying to teach you life-saving techniques would at least get you to stop being rude, haughty, and hostile for just a little bit, but apparently not. I'll just have to personally hold you accountable for watch, and that is it.
"And I know exactly what you're going to try to do after this - try to turn Raclaw and Shade against me, like you have before, and try to worsen the corruption you so enjoy seeing in me by attacking our mental link. I will simply let them know that any attempts to tolerate such a thing will result in me severing the link completely. But I am done looking like a fool because I thought you would be open to bettering yourself."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#296 Posted: 22:51:38 04/08/2018
"Falsehood? You're suddenly an expert on my life? You have no idea..." Angora was cut short by Maverick putting his hand on her mouth again, only this time, she didn't try to struggle or even put it away.

"Enough Angorita. Por favor. It's my fault for abandoning you. And you señor Latnok, you expect her to be nice when you haven't even had the decency of showing her the same courtesy? I know I haven't been around this group much, but all I've seen you doing is giving her orders and insulting her. Not once have I seen you being nice to her. Or is it that you expect everyone to be nice to you unconditionally because you have such a high position? I really thought the Guardian's job was to bring peace among all the races of the land... but... I guess I was wrong." Maverick said with a lowered head. The little troll looked at him gloomily, having some severe flashbacks on the so many times he defended her that very same way from his bloodthirsty father. They both knew how many times she mistreated him in his annoying attempts to be nice and even playful with her, and even though he received many wounds because of her, he never gave up on her, and managed to find that noble, good hearted spirit she always tried so hard to hide.
---
#297 Posted: 23:04:38 04/08/2018
"I have been nice, on several occasions," Latnok said. "Every time I have been, she has only been rude in return. Offer her food? Rude. Compliment her? Get told to shut up. Try to teach her something? She scoffs. That obviously doesn't work. It has nothing to do with my position - everything to do with her being a rude, insufferable person.
"So yes, I do expect her to act in kind when I am nice to her. She doesn't, however, so it shows that it obviously does not work. You obviously haven't been with us as long as I have; tell me, why is Angora the ONLY one I'm criticizing like this? Is it because I just picked a random person to hate? Even though I'm trying to teach her magic, which she doesn't want to learn? No - she doesn't care. It's wasted effort. You can go ahead and be nice to her; I'll continue to be kind to everyone else, who extends the courtesy to respond appropriately. I do not see how refusing to lick the boot of someone who is constantly rude, does not care about you, and enjoys your suffering is an anti-peace measure - you can only extend the arm so far before you're falling into the river."
---
I'm just... a guy...
#298 Posted: 23:25:24 04/08/2018
Maverick only shrank his shoulders, chuckling at Lantok's impatience. He found it hard to believe he tried to be nice all those times.
"Is that what happened before? Heh, and you expected her to be nice the first time? She's a tiny troll. Rejected by her kind for being small, and apparently rejected by the rest for being a troll. Her pride is all she has to feel good about herself. Or am I wrong Angorita?" Maverick said as he pinched her cheek playfully, with Angora slapping his hand away.
"Don't sermon me Malo! I don't need your pity." Angora said, proving what Latnok just said, but Maverick only shook his head amusingly.
"See? Did you expect her to be nice to me too just because I'm a former friend? It took me almost an entire year to see her gentlest side, but it was worth it. I gained a sister, one that I abandoned because I was too afraid of my father. You see señor Latnok? You gave up too soon. You can't force a turtle to come out of it's shell out of mere kindness, nor you can ask a sea urchin to give up it's quills, cause they both fear the world will harm them if they do." Maverick said, with a wisdom that surprised even Angora. The words weren't originally from him, but he always loved those metaphors. If simple words weren't enough to convince Latnok, then perhaps metaphors would do the trick.
---
#299 Posted: 23:47:43 04/08/2018
Latnok sighed as he composed himself. "Listen, Mav. We are all in the same boat. We all have the same obligations. It is as simple as that. I had a hard life; many of us did, I'm sure. But that doesn't change the here and now. I don't have the luxury of waiting a year; we have days at most, and I need the confidence to know that everyone has each others' backs and is willing to do their part.
"I know you're no warrior. That is why you would not know the importance. But can you imagine having to fight with people who don't do their part? Can you imagine watching a CHILD HAVE THEIR SKULL SMASHED IN FRONT OF YOU because the guy you thought would have your back didn't have the nerve to take the shot when he needed to? Can you imagine what it's like to have two of your allies crushed to death in front of you because YOU failed to do what you should have done? Because those are all things I have seen, and if you would like to see those memories, I would be more than glad to share them with you.
"That is why I must be sure that everyone is able and willing to do their job, and is prepared to do it. Angora's callousness, hostility, lack of discipline, and complete indifference shows me that I cannot trust her when I need to. And that is not something I will tolerate."
Latnok stood up, to address Maverick eye-to-eye. "Magic requires discipline, and part of discipline is knowing when to express your emotions and when not to. Discipline is also required for many other things when it comes to working with others. I'll make you a deal. I'll forget about what just happened. I'll give her one more chance. And if she can get the spell down - within the time left in our watch - I will accept that. A single rude comment or negative behavior will mean that she doesn't care. Like I said, if she doesn't show enough discipline to control her expressions, then she doesn't have the discipline for magic. How does that sound?"
---
I'm just... a guy...
#300 Posted: 00:03:43 05/08/2018
"I'm other words, don't express myself at all. Just be an empty, brain dead little zombie with no will or opinion like that wyvern." Angora said bitterly, believing that was the only way Latnok would ever respect her.

Once more, Maverick interfered, wanting to avoid the argument from escalating further.
"Silencio Angorita, por favor. Just do this once, come on little lady. I know it's hard, but just think on how useful magic can be. Just, treat it like those cube games we use to play in my room. Or those darts we threw to random targets." Maverick begged, with Angora's face shining for a moment. She had a lousy time on that ship, but the times she spent with Maverick were fun and even happy. She nodded with a frown, evident that she still wasn't going to like this.

"Alright señor Latnok. We'll take the offer. Just... remember what we talked about..." Maverick said, wanting Latnok to remember their conversation, especially the metaphors. He hated the fact that he didn't join this group earlier. Perhaps things would've been different if only he had arrived much sooner than he did.
---
First | Previous | Page 6 of 50 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48 49 50

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me