darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > All the problems with Skylanders super chargers
Page 1 of 1
All the problems with Skylanders super chargers
MLG Skylander Blue Sparx Gems: 682
#1 Posted: 10:31:34 17/03/2018 | Topic Creator
Yes I will be doing this all the games and yes I know Skylanders super chargers is a Mario kart clone
---
I want to die
GaiaMemories Gold Sparx Gems: 2122
#2 Posted: 20:25:46 17/03/2018
It's racing section was, but the main story mode was hardly a "Mario Kart clone".
---
Sorry Chase, a new robot has (temporarily) taken your place!
#ForceOutHate
Halvmorke Yellow Sparx Gems: 1259
#3 Posted: 11:29:55 19/03/2018
Oh my gosh... this **** is neverending...
---
Halvmorke's Elite: smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
Senseis: smiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
MLG Skylander Blue Sparx Gems: 682
#4 Posted: 10:04:40 21/03/2018 | Topic Creator
What.
---
I want to die
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2080
#5 Posted: 05:04:34 23/03/2018
i legitimately hate this game.
i really wanted to like it so hard so many times. i put 200+ hours in it. you can't say i didn't give it a fair shake for at least a few of those hours.
i probably actually enjoyed 10 hours or so.

i have a lot more i could write but for now i've just written this and if and only if i feel like it i'll get back to this. but just mentioning other issues i had: gameplay was piss-easy and unfocused, vehicles were horrible, not just because they had way too much focus and poorly designed segments, but they had h terrible controls and feel, plus many vehicles barely feeling different and all having completely uninteresting mods and upgrades, too much platforming over combat as well, portal master powers impeded on gameplay even further and had a poorly-implemented levelling system (**** the rng collectables), new lock puzzles are awful in that they are too action- rather than thinking-focused to be breathers but so clunky they also just aren't fun, lack of good puzzles in general, the new roster was small and was composed largely of stinkers, levels had some good ideas but lacked design to back it up nor really explored them (perhaps outside of VoTA, the one level i feel actually has good pacing, even if i still like absolutely no levels in this game), lack of replay value (in quantity second-worst of the series to only trap team, in quality utter ****), with poor level count too (and while i don't prefer long levels for the series, sc doesn't have long levels like sf or even levels noticeably longer than the other games), the collectables system was terrible by leading to grinding for hats and made it feel like you were no longer finding treasures lost in worlds, old lore became irredemably muddled here (was getting muddled but not to a point that made me give up until sc) and trap team's entire plot was just swept under the rug, the online when it existed was kind of terrible and now that it's gone extra vehicle mods (which were more substansial than the base mods and upgrades!) are lost forever, content gating beyond the "three vehicles needed" that people like to tout is lousy, the figure collecting was some of the worst to grace the series (y'all remember the starter packs needed to get everything, and how bowser and dk came out in double packs later with no announcements, and how the figures were so expensive while being kinda small and lacking quality improvements?).
the one big thing i think it has really going for it is the aesthetics, a humongous improvement over other works by the studio that is mostly good, often great and has a couple of amazing moments- but this isn't even the best game of the series in that regard anyways: spyro's adventure is still the platinum standard. next to that game sc has many more low points, more asset reusal, way less interesting palettes, more simplification, overall more generic cartoonishness rather than the cool dungeon crawler edge the first two games had and weaker fundamentals than tfb's works (a specific nitpick that picked me off: the color bleed of those blue blobs in VoTA onto the background, why did vv's color bleed get even worse in nst, the whole studio needs to work on putting fundamentals in practice).

so, what i did write...

the story moves so fast over glumshanks' death and past a lot of worlds and one-time characters like they're nothing; while brisk pacing is nice and i appreciate the attempt i feel like this was closer to rushed.

perhaps exacerbating it is that i really spent no time in the hub like the other games so it failed as a breather between levels to let everything set in. there was nothing i wanted to explore there. there were just tacked-on vehicle sections and if you had the right items to place down, just like trap team's hub, real simplistic sidescrolling sections. except the ones in superchargers, which also are only offered by certain items you get via rng and thus you aren't guaranteed to see and breathe with and don't get to have fun actually finding, are ridiculously small and empty and don't have at least the amusing super high jumps and bits of verticality the equivalent had in trap team nor collectables in them. they are pointless and unamusing mush, they neither expand on the academy as a place nor really add to the gameplay. they can't serve as breathers when they're obscured in the pool of rng items and thus may never appear to give you a breather, they certainly don't add to exploration when you can only get them through pure luck and then poof you place them down and they're there and there's nothing to explore in them, there is already an entire level about sidescrolling so it's not really new, and they just aren't fun on their own (no satisfying feel or design, utterly no meat, and the latter would have been fine like it was in trap team's sidescrolling sections but again these aren't real breathers like those in the predecessor- i sound really negative about tt's but i actually like them specifically because they're simple while still having some fun memorable aspects, more complex sidescrolling is not good in this engine imo, but these sections in sc have nothing going for them).
the hub in general was also quite mashed together and squished; handy for reaching where you want to go, but outside of the ship there is almost no breathing room. it's not a place you want to explore. i know there's an argument for the customisation but with a hub that already felt so squished and how that customisation is nothing more than placing items down it did nothing for me. the idea could be done much better without the game having to be focused around it like lost islands or universe were. it's not even that novel because we had a customizeable hub in giants and treasures decorating the hub in tt. imo this game has the worst hub by far- poor as both a resting spot and area to explore or play in. on an art level, while actually justified fairly well, we've seen the academy just before this and in a much better form too, plus the damn thing looks ugly with its harsh colors and gadgets and cluttered **** everywhere. it also feels like it never expands, it never adds unique or new npcs or anything, the entire game it's inhabited by just the same characters as the last game, series mainstays and pandergast. there is no excitement getting to know new npcs in this game in general because every single one besides the underwhelming villain is a one-shot, but it's worse when the ones that are there as plot devices never reappear or hang anywhere else, making it more blatant they're just plot devices. anyway, this hub, it's not any good and not even really original.

flynn was also extremely hateable here, not just for how he acted or being the flattest but frequently breaking the tone of things. i physically cringed at his fart joke at the end of cloudbreather's crag and he pops up on the microphone over gameplay so often he's ****ing unignorable in spite of being pointless towards the story.
the occasional jarring break in tone is something superchargers suffers from: it tries to be more "dark" than a lot of vv's works and genuinely has amazing atmosphere at times but still has ridiculously childish points to it. i'm talking in even little things like npcs doing lame dances and inexplicable plungers in place of ammo fired at you in cloudbreather's... guess that level has a lot of breaks in tone, huh. skylanders always should have some lightheartedness and a touch of silliness but when this game did it, it was incredibly jarring and just dumb at points. travelling to the future for stinky cheese in trap team isn't why you would expect to be going to the future and just crazy and creative enough that even if it broke the tone it would still have been an amusing idea, cluck having his own chain of fried chicken is just a dumb pun that really isn't funny even as a pun lover and is the kind of thing you would see out of swap force's repertoire.

... that's it. i'll only continue if i feel like it, but ****ing hell this game has so many problems which could each be their own rants.
Edited 15 times - Last edited at 06:54:17 23/03/2018 by Drawdler
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me