Poll

Favourite Year of the Dragon boss?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Unpopular Skylanders Opinions
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2736
#1 Posted: 10:34:48 16/12/2017 | Topic Creator
Every other topic about this seems to be dead :I

• Chill kicked ass and is the best Water Skylander.
  • Shroomboom is one of the best Life Skylanders.
  • Air Element roster is really good.
  • Every single Water Skylander is at least good, and Water is the best Element for it.
  • A lot of the Magic Element has boring gameplay and the Element as a whole is pretty disappointing and one of the weakest for it.
  • Gill Grunt and Jet-Vac are pretty good. I feel like people hate on them just because of how over-distributed they are. Stealth Elf's over-distribution was worse to me because I think she's just okay and she was forced into starter packs over more years and already had one of the highest variant counts of any character.
  • I wanted a Legendary Gill Grunt.
  • Spitfire, Splat, Pop Fizz and Roller Brawl are just okay. (Though Bone Bash Roller Brawl is good.)
  • Big Bubble Pop Fizz, Astroblast and Spotlight all suck. To a lesser extent, Eye-Brawl and Dive-Clops' gameplay sucks, though their design concepts are pretty cool so I can't really say they suck overall.
  • Doom Stone is the most boring Skylander in the entire series. I seriously forget he exists every time I try to remember the SF roster off the top of my head.
  • Dive-Clops is also pretty boring.
  • A lot of the "OP" characters just aren't fun to play and I would dread hearing about characters being super powerful for this reason. OP characters I dislike the most are Drobot and Sandhog Terrafin, who clearly suffer from SA's character simplicity and lack good feel but were never really rebalanced in a way that made them more fun. Brawler Terrafin however is not bad and I actually like playing as him with the S2 Wow Pow.
  • The Mask of Power books were pretty fun and I'm still fond of them.
  • Academy Malefor (can't comment on comic Malefor, though I really like his design nowadays, grew on me over time) is just okay.
  • Giants and TT are both around decent or good, neither is great and neither are amongst the best.
  • SF is good. It's not the best but it's also not bad at all and noticeably better than Giants, TT or (lol) SC. I feel like most opinions of SF fall close to one of those extremes which is why I'm penning this as an unpopular opinion.
  • SC is really bad, in general and not just as a Skylanders game.
  • Giants 3DS is really bad too. Perhaps the worst game to come out of the entire series sans Battlegrounds (yeah, who remembers that repetitive snoozefest?).
  • SI is the best Skylanders game.
  • SA still has the best story overall of the games.

Feel like I'm missing more but ah well.
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 10:47:49 16/12/2017 by Drawdler
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3660
#2 Posted: 13:00:50 16/12/2017
  • Gearshift is the best Skylander of them all. She's the most OP character and extremely fun to play with.
  • There is never enough Stealth Elf reposes.

No one but myself seems to hold these opinions...

But Chill does indeed kick ass and she is the best Water Skylander! Tidepool, Echo and Punk Shock does come close. smilie Anyone who doesn't believe this are simply Gill Grunt lubbers!
---
Stay Cool!
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6493
#3 Posted: 13:37:10 16/12/2017
Could care less about some of the voice gimmicks in the series. Sure, blow the budget on this guy with a funny accent or who does a comedian impression - but maybe don't remove content from the actual game if you can afford them? Just good acting that fits the character is s good enough for me.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#4 Posted: 05:07:49 28/12/2017
okay here i am-

gill grunt is actually tolerable now
drill sergeant and riptide are bad. all bad.
scorp kicks ass. i love him
snap shot is also a good character, especially in academy.
i actually kinda like ashley tisdale SE now?? its not because i watched a ton of P&F ok
giants is, and always will be, the best game in the series.
superchargers was a mistake and anybody who thinks the vehicles were fun needs a lobotomy
i did like some of the new characters from SC though. they were less about straight-up attacking and more about playing defensively (astroblast and nightfall are examples)
still not over luminous.

also can we appreciate flarewolf please???? he is pure.
emeraldzoroark Gold Sparx Gems: 2486
#5 Posted: 12:11:14 28/12/2017
As for me...
Gill Grunt is fun to play in the first two games with the jetpack glitch
Slam Bam’s playstyle is SO boring
Scorp is cool
TT was my favourite game in the series (although Giants is a close second)
Swap Force was my least favourite (but I want to get the Wii U version to give it a fair chance)
Superchargers plot wasn’t that good. We had one moment with Glumshanks and that’s it. The Darkness was cool though.
Secret Sewers of Supreme Stink is a fun level.
Dreamcatchers boss fight is way too easy, even on Nightmare.
The racing in SC was really fun, but was ruined in SI
The vehicle sections in SC were... tolerable I guess.
Wildfire is cool. Not sure why he’s a low tier in TT
Sprocket is not a terrible Skylander and is in my top 10 favourites.
Eruptor is also cool.
While a lot of my favourites are fire element and I prefer the aesthetic of the air element, water has the most consistant quality of characters. We have Gill Grunt, Zap, Chill, Thumpback, Wash Buckler, Riptide, Snap Shot, Echo, King Pen and I haven’t even played as GC or Tidepool yet.
---
This avatar will be a reminder of my ultimate goal.
Even if I can’t bring it to Gen 8.
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6493
#6 Posted: 12:48:18 03/01/2018
I prefer adorable but slow as molasses Slobber Trap to the walking gag that is Slobber Tooth
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Kevin16 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4247
#7 Posted: 08:23:50 08/01/2018
Most opinions stated here aren't even underrated lol
---
r.i.p skylanders
#8 Posted: 10:24:13 09/01/2018 | Topic Creator
This series should never have added jumping. The best thing it's been used for is those "shockwave" enemies which always do the same thing so really aren't that interesting and it made the game head more towards platforming than dungeon crawly gameplay (though I guess that's better than if it had continued going in the puzzle-fest direction of Giants...). It's more part of a bigger problem than a problem in itself but jumping is really unnessicary for what should be the core gameplay (dungeon crawling) and led to more segments that play the same with every character (platforming and puzzles). Again, though, it's not so much that jumping in itself is a problem... But if it isn't there for platforming anyway and there's really one kind of enemy that really makes use of it then what's the point. To its credit it does make parts of the game feel more natural without jump pads everywhere but I'm honestly just upset how far the series strayed into the platforming direction. Platforming and puzzles are the worst parts of these games because they play the same with every character and they aren't fun and frequently overstay their welcome.
Again, jumping itself did not hurt the series... It just doesn't enhance what should be these games' focal points and was primarily used for platforming that should not be as common as it is in these games and is not really that good to play in the first place.
In theory it could be used to avoid certain attacks, and actually it can be used to bait ranged attacks into the air, however I really feel like that's too clunky to do in these games and isn't interesting enough to make it a great feature.

Quote: Kevin16

This is the most controversial opinion I've ever seen in this forum, thank you for such thought-provoking discussion.
---
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 10:41:53 09/01/2018 by Drawdler
emeraldzoroark Gold Sparx Gems: 2486
#9 Posted: 18:12:50 09/01/2018
Quote: Drawdler
This series should never have added jumping. The best thing it's been used for is those "shockwave" enemies which always do the same thing so really aren't that interesting and it made the game head more towards platforming than dungeon crawly gameplay (though I guess that's better than if it had continued going in the puzzle-fest direction of Giants...). It's more part of a bigger problem than a problem in itself but jumping is really unnessicary for what should be the core gameplay (dungeon crawling) and led to more segments that play the same with every character (platforming and puzzles). Again, though, it's not so much that jumping in itself is a problem... But if it isn't there for platforming anyway and there's really one kind of enemy that really makes use of it then what's the point. To its credit it does make parts of the game feel more natural without jump pads everywhere but I'm honestly just upset how far the series strayed into the platforming direction. Platforming and puzzles are the worst parts of these games because they play the same with every character and they aren't fun and frequently overstay their welcome.
Again, jumping itself did not hurt the series... It just doesn't enhance what should be these games' focal points and was primarily used for platforming that should not be as common as it is in these games and is not really that good to play in the first place.
In theory it could be used to avoid certain attacks, and actually it can be used to bait ranged attacks into the air, however I really feel like that's too clunky to do in these games and isn't interesting enough to make it a great feature.

Quote: Kevin16

This is the most controversial opinion I've ever seen in this forum, thank you for such thought-provoking discussion.

Oh my god, yes. Jumping was terrible IMO. It worked better in TT where there wasn’t much to jump over. That’s how I remember it anyway.

And in Swap Force, the jump button (on the Wii) was the A button, which was the primary attack button, which is now B, which was the secondary attack button, which is now the C button, which was the skip button, which is now the - Button, which was the Skylander menu, which is now 1. Hecking brilliant.
---
This avatar will be a reminder of my ultimate goal.
Even if I can’t bring it to Gen 8.
#10 Posted: 05:48:16 10/01/2018 | Topic Creator
I think they changed that in SC and maybe TT so that jump was B and attack was A which imo felt nice, at least as nice as they could make it, but having the primary attack on B was pretty stupid. I still can't get used to it when I play SF with Wiimote (too lazy to grab other controllers for that one entry lol)

---

Trap Masters are a cooler concept than Giants because they tie in with more relevant things in terms of story. Capturing and managing villains will always be relevant because there will always be more of them, and even though there are many more Skylanders stopping villains, Trap Masters will always have a place as the chief police and experienced Traptanium weilders.

Giants are an important part of Skylands' history and tie in well with their introductory level/as opposition to reawoken Arkeyans, but outside of their game it's a bit "huh, they aren't that important here".
The SWAP Force had terrible lore (they don't even matter to the story of their own game- and forget thematics- they just happened to be on the volcano and that's their entire story), but they still feel more novel as a gimmick because it changes the gameplay in a unique way, whereas we've had more Skylanders that feel just like Giants and their aspects aren't that cool anymore. Especially with changes to their feel over the years (they still feel best in Giants, tbh, and remain more novel there thanks to both being more unique in that roster and having better feel).

It's not as if they completely blend in now, given they still all have LightCore and squash small enemies, but it's a subtler gimmick... ironically... that affects the design philosophy and feel of the Giants instead of being a game changer. Certainly don't think it's a bad gimmick and I definitely appreciate the approach, but I think Swappers and TMs are better.

I don't know how I feel about Superchargers as a concept (although there were dumb gameplay niggles based around them), and I think Senseis are missed potential (the "training the next generation" idea is kind of nice, but it feels like an afterthought because no lore or story is built around it- works as a thematic excuse for Imaginator level/move paywalls, but very lazy and blatant that it's a paywall).
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:04:20 19/08/2018 by Drawdler
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me