Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders Toys and Merchandise > Building a storage shelving unit for the collection
Page 1 of 1
Building a storage shelving unit for the collection
pjc613 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1067
#1 Posted: 06:04:50 31/07/2017 | Topic Creator
I’ve about decided that I need to build a storage shelving unit for the skylanders collection. I’ve done a bit of searching on the forum, and it looks like people’s preferred solution, if they go beyond cardboard boxes but aren’t willing to go as far as (admittedly IMPRESSIVE) display cases, is the clear plastic rollarounds with drawers that you can buy at Walmart, Target and the like. That option wouldn’t work as well for me, largely because I’d like it to look less college-dorm-room than that. The kids don’t have their own TV gameroom, so since it’s in the living room, I’d like it to look relatively nice. That’s also a reason I’m not really interested in grandiose display shelving. I’ll admit that when people walk into our house, I don’t want their lasting impression of us to be the weirdos with the wall-o-Skylanders.

So I need a solution that’s as compact and unobtrusive as possible. I’m also a bit obsessive-compulsive, so there’s a specific way I want it to be organized. (I feel the need to explain that I’m definitely not OCD. I have friends and acquaintances with the actual mental disorder, and my heart goes out to them, because, like any mental condition, it’s very taxing on them and those around them. I don’t want to make light of their struggle by flippantly saying I’m “slightly OCD.” That D means something important. That out of the way…) Here’s how I want it organized. I’d like each* game’s figures on their own shelf / in their own drawer. The biggest problem with that, really, is that it makes the footprint (length and width specifically) of the unit pretty good-sized. For example, if I stuck all of the really tall figures – Giants/Trap Masters - in one deeper drawer, I could shrink the length and width considerably, and only be adding a little height. But I didn’t want to break up the game collections. So, cramming the largest footprint skylanders as close together as possible (and facing sideways), I found I can get away with a length of no more than 20 inches (apologies to our friends who use metric. I’m actually an engineer, and at work, metric is all I use. For some reason, though, “Standard” just feels right when I’m doing home projects/woodwork).

*I ought to explain my asterisk at this point. When I say “each” game, I don’t actually mean all six. Long story long, my kids and I started with SF, so we got the most-current repose of each character, then worked our way backwards to SG and SSA, since reposes ARE backwards compatible (at least, before SC). We have all 80 playable characters through the first 3 games, but don’t have many of the SSA or SG figures if they’ve got a repose in a newer game. I could go back and fill in all the older characters, but at this point, I really don’t have the interest to do so. So I made a grid of the original 32, and figured that, with Giants “only” introducing two new figures per element, I could put SSA and SG on the same shelf (see, there I go breaking my own rule already…don’t worry though, all the other games get their own shelf), and have 8 columns by element, and 6 rows of figures (the back row being the Giants, who, for length reasons, will be facing sideways, not forward), as well as the shared expansion levels to one side. Because 6 rows is definitely the most of any of the shelves, its width is the largest, at approximately 15 inches.

So that’s my footprint. 20” x 15”. Here’s where height becomes an issue. I measured the tallest figure from each of the 5 post-SSA games. Giants is close between Ninjini and Swarm, but Swarm’s raised stinger edges her ponytail out at 5 1/4” (sorry, metric friends. I’d keep that part in decimal form, rather than going fractions on you, but it’ll be uglier fractions in a minute). SF’s tallest figure, ironically, is Fire Kracken. Yup, his torch is just higher than Rattle Shake’s snake shooter, at 3 15/16”.

Trap Team went full-stupid with their sizes, not just height, but length and width as well. Standing them close enough to fit them inside 20” is no small task either, but Knight Light also wins the prize for tallest Skylander figure to date at 5 1/2”. SC dialed it back, and the tallest figure is Nightfall by the curve of her hook, at 3 5/8”. I haven’t measured the Imaginators figures. They’re still in a box, and will come out for the kids for Christmas. But I’m imagining its tallest figure will be around 5” (Golden Queen, maybe?). Either way, accounting for slight clearance, that’s still 30” in height. And 20” length by 15” width by 30” height is a big ol’ box!

But, here’s the part I’m excited about. Instead of drawers, I’ve decided I want to build enclosed shelves that cascade as they open (if you’ve seen a fishing tackle box, like that), so when the kids are playing, they can cascade the shelves out and grab whichever guys they want, then when they’re done (and haven’t left them in a pile on the floor infront of the tv!!!) it can be folded up and just look like an unobtrusive box of stacked shelves. Should be fun to figure out how to build! Here’s what I’ve figured so far. I’ll need cantilevered scissor hinges, like those on tackle boxes, BUT, I’ll also need to “pin” the middle shelf so that the top two and bottom two shelves counterbalance each other, so it doesn’t tip. What I haven’t decided is whether it would make more sense to do a true cantilevered scissor hinge array, or to make the hinge rods slotted so that all five shelves wouldn’t have to lift slightly to get them to separate.

If I chose the first option and was “pinning” the center shelf, for the bottom two shelves to be able to swing out from under the center one, it would either need to be suspended in air already (making it even higher than the original 30”), or it would need to raise up before the two lower shelves could swing forward. That means two different scissor hinge mechanisms. One to lift, one to separate. (smilie) If I designed it well enough, however, I could likely incorporate the lift motion (spring-assisted as well, probably) with the cascade actuation.

If I chose the second option and slotted the hinge rods, it admittedly wouldn’t sit as tightly when closed, because it’d be more like drawers that have to slide against each other, BUT, as long as I eliminated most of the friction, it’d be a lot easier to do. Pulling on the bottom shelf would automatically slide the bottom two shelves forward and the top two backward. Its biggest drawback is that in order to access all of the figures, the bottom shelf would have to be pulled out really far. That means that the top shelf would move backwards pretty far also, which means it couldn’t sit up against a wall.

I’ll have to give it some thought. Still, it should be a fun project. I’ll keep you all apprised of my progress (you know, all three of you who actually had the patience to read this novel AND are interested enough in furniture crafting to care smilie).
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#2 Posted: 14:22:44 31/07/2017
take some pictures smilie
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 15:30:12 31/07/2017
I like exposed shelves best, but it's definately not the best choice for a living room. I drop my toys enough when I accidentally hit my head under it while cleaning, wouldn't be very safe for a kid.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#4 Posted: 02:08:28 03/08/2017 | Topic Creator
Okay, here's what I've got for a design so far.

I started simple. It's not even much of a "design" per se, since it's basically just a tacklebox hinge linkage, but it would get the job done. If I were to keep it simple and leave it like this, I'd have to build 14" of clearance between the bottom shelf and the floor because of the swing-out, meaning legs (which would probably look odd on an 18" x 24" x 26" box), or paneling both sides, which is probably be the better idea to cover more of the linkage, and avoid pinched fingers.

The middle shelf would be the one not moving for balance, but I still dislike how topheavy it would be. Not the best option. I'm going to try to goof around with the software I built the simulation in (by the way, if any of you are interested in linkage/gear motion, it's pretty fun. Check it out), and see if there's a way to counterbalance/spring assist a swinging motion to lift the shelves up as one, at the same rate as the bottom shelf drops, so that the bottom shelf stays at or near floor level during expansion, and then have the linkages set the expanded unit to rest.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#5 Posted: 13:47:53 04/08/2017
looks good cant wait to see the real pictures of this setup.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#6 Posted: 02:21:51 10/08/2017 | Topic Creator
I gotta say, I'm second-guessing myself a bit on the logistics of this thing. I've got a solid design, even updated from the vid above. I can make the drawers actually lie flat in a row when cascaded out, but the problem is, that would make the unstacked footprint over 7 feet by 2 feet. Even if they can easily be folded back up into a small-ish box, that's a lot of floorspace. I'm arguing with myself that if they're being actively played with, having 5 drawers connected to one another on the floor with the skylanders organized in rows sure beats them being scattered all over the room like they are now. I guess I'd just have to make a rule that the box gets folded up as blasted soon as the kids are done playing with them.

And, I'll be honest, one of the biggest reasons I'm still leaning toward doing this project is that it'd be freaking fun to put together with all of the linkages etc. I suppose if it does turn out to be too much floorspace when open, I can always remove the linkages and make a simple, low profile cabinet around the drawers, so one drawer can be pulled out at a time. That just removes one of the coolest aspects of the idea, though, and that's having your entire army lined up from start to finish, so when playing the later games, you have everyone at your fingertips.

Tough decision.
4inCreation Gold Sparx Gems: 2989
#7 Posted: 08:30:29 10/08/2017
Another idea is a large storage drawer with bottom-mounted slides that tucks under the TV.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me