Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Final Fantasy is not that great in my view, or any turn based RPGs
Page 1 of 1
Final Fantasy is not that great in my view, or any turn based RPGs [CLOSED]
Manue Ripto Gems: 0
#1 Posted: 11:09:28 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
You wait, and attack.

Btw ever tried 1,2 and 3. Thats the purest form of it if you want to try the most difficult one.

But i liked 7 in 2005... but that was then. Now i think its just bad. Like all, like every game with a turn based RPG is not fun. If it was a board game that a family could enjoy i get it, super fun. But to play those types of game in single player, not so much.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 11:16:27 18/07/2017
I wouldn't lump every FF together. 9,12 and on don't even have that gameplay.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 12:08:20 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
9 has the same turn based element, 9 was made as a tribute to classic FF games. 12 is however different though, i haven't tried that one yet.
Spellslamzer75 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1333
#4 Posted: 14:09:33 18/07/2017
Turn-based RPGs may not be your kind of thing, and that's fine. But remember that these are still RPGs, where the storyline is a major part of the genre almost as much as the gameplay. RPGs aren't like platformers or racing games where the gameplay is all that matters.

FFVII has aged horribly. Looking back on it without nostalgia goggles, anyone can see how flawed it really is. More than just the graphics. Even as someone who adores the franchise, FFVII is not the masterpiece that many say it is.

Also, there are a ton of FF spin-offs like Theatrhythm or Dissidia that aren't turn-based.

Sorry if this post comes across as angry. That's not my intention.
---
Strength, courage, and evil
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6425
#5 Posted: 15:09:19 18/07/2017
Unpopular opinion is the better place for this and if you don't like turn based it's fine we can't all like the same thing after all,but making a topic about how FF is not that great in your view(do you know that there are a lot of side games even a srpg and a fighting game so plenty of stuff) is weird because it seem you never gave them a chance at all...and forgot that one of FF biggest strength is the story,even I who do like turn based...started prefering action combat in the vein of Tales of instead because it felt a bit too passive,so yes I understand your feeling about turn based it really do need a twist to make it more active,but of the non turn based FFXII is not,you can look inside the spinoff or in side game that don't have the FF name(Vagrant Story is more of an action rpg)
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#6 Posted: 15:59:15 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: Spellslamzer75
Turn-based RPGs may not be your kind of thing, and that's fine. But remember that these are still RPGs, where the storyline is a major part of the genre almost as much as the gameplay. RPGs aren't like platformers or racing games where the gameplay is all that matters.

FFVII has aged horribly. Looking back on it without nostalgia goggles, anyone can see how flawed it really is. More than just the graphics. Even as someone who adores the franchise, FFVII is not the masterpiece that many say it is.

Also, there are a ton of FF spin-offs like Theatrhythm or Dissidia that aren't turn-based.

Sorry if this post comes across as angry. That's not my intention.

The famicom barely had a story, however story as a selling point became more obvious from ff4 and outwards keeping the same stuff til 10 and X-2. FF7 had the best presentation, but gameplay wise its the same boring stuff as all other turn based RPGs that i've played. Its just overall a dated boring system that is not fun playing by yourself
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:00:21 18/07/2017 by Manue
#7 Posted: 16:02:36 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: fyra
Unpopular opinion is the better place for this and if you don't like turn based it's fine we can't all like the same thing after all,but making a topic about how FF is not that great in your view(do you know that there are a lot of side games even a srpg and a fighting game so plenty of stuff) is weird because it seem you never gave them a chance at all...and forgot that one of FF biggest strength is the story,even I who do like turn based...started prefering action combat in the vein of Tales of instead because it felt a bit too passive,so yes I understand your feeling about turn based it really do need a twist to make it more active,but of the non turn based FFXII is not,you can look inside the spinoff or in side game that don't have the FF name(Vagrant Story is more of an action rpg)

I played 13 and lightning returns if that counts. If you want a list of FF games i've played i'd be glad to list them
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:05:19 18/07/2017 by Manue
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#8 Posted: 16:25:27 18/07/2017
I don't like third-person shooters pretending to be RPGs. Mass Effect is the worst example. Gameplay shouldn't been like Final Fantasy X. At least numbers displayed when giving and taken damage and cinematic cameras for special moves. It would've been better to fight Sovereign if it was like Sin or Jecht's summon form.

And the music should've been done by Nobuo Uematsu because ambience alone is not memorable. You can't hum the music because it's dragged out and not at all catchy or emotional.

Also get rid of the romance scenes with proper Social Links like in the Persona games. Maybe get rid of the infamous dialogue wheel with a proper dialogue box.

[User Posted Image]
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#9 Posted: 16:40:48 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
I thought Mass Effect 1 was fun in high school... i remember i played this game like 4 times. Of course i cant go back to it now though, not sure if the story was the selling point but its been like ages. But really i just thought the gameplay in 2 and 3 wasnt that good as the first one so i played it only 2 times. But yeah, that was back then when it was new and stuff. Now when i look back i never wanna play it again

I just play whatever is fun like Rayman 1 on PS2 console.
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 16:48:32 18/07/2017 by Manue
#10 Posted: 17:48:27 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
I was just trolling. I like Final Fantasy
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:48:57 18/07/2017 by Manue
blutopazluver Blue Sparx Gems: 965
#11 Posted: 17:57:04 18/07/2017
Quote: Manue
I was just trolling. I like Final Fantasy

[User Posted Image]

. . .
#12 Posted: 18:26:53 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Sen..senpai.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#13 Posted: 18:38:18 18/07/2017
Now go play a actually good game.

Like something with "Party" on the title.
---
Bruh
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#14 Posted: 19:02:04 18/07/2017
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: Crash10
Now go play a actually good game.

Like something with "Party" on the title.

Mario Party 5

Or maybe Sonic™ and the Secret Rings© Party Mode®.
---
Bruh
#15 Posted: 19:06:02 18/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Mario Party 1 i played with friends on the N64 when i had PS1. Its awesome. And 8 was on the Wii with my family. But we don't have a Wii anymore
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:06:31 18/07/2017 by Manue
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#16 Posted: 13:11:24 19/07/2017
I thought Mass Effect 1 was fun in high school... i remember i played this game like 4 times. Of course i cant go back to it now though, not sure if the story was the selling point but its been like ages. But really i just thought the gameplay in 2 and 3 wasnt that good as the first one so i played it only 2 times. But yeah, that was back then when it was new and stuff. Now when i look back i never wanna play it again

But the use of third-person shooting mechanics and the dialogue wheel destroy the illusion of Mass Effect being an RPG compared to turn-based/menu-based RPGs. Mass Effect 1 didn't know whether to be an RPG or a third-person-shooter while 2 and 3 embraced the shooter genre. The series should've gone with the former and it could've been like Xenosaga only with a better-made story.

Now I wish Mass Effect got a hard reboot (not a soft reboot like Andromeda) and ripped off Xenogears.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#17 Posted: 17:29:14 19/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: StevemacQ

But the use of third-person shooting mechanics and the dialogue wheel destroy the illusion of Mass Effect being an RPG compared to turn-based/menu-based RPGs. Mass Effect 1 didn't know whether to be an RPG or a third-person-shooter while 2 and 3 embraced the shooter genre. The series should've gone with the former and it could've been like Xenosaga only with a better-made story.

Now I wish Mass Effect got a hard reboot (not a soft reboot like Andromeda) and ripped off Xenogears.

I don't care so much... a game is a game. I play it with people or depends.. But i take it for what it is and just do my best.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 17:38:11 19/07/2017 by Manue
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#18 Posted: 22:08:49 19/07/2017
bimle is alive
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me