Page 1 of 1
If you could reboot the series...
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#1 Posted: 21:48:19 12/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Say it's 2018, and it has been announced that the series is getting rebooted, picking up where Imaginators left off. How would you want that to be handled? Below, create your own series reboot in your vision. It can be referring to one game in particular or multiple.

My list:
* Kaos is no longer the main antagonist. He still plays a role in the games but gets replaced in this reboot by more threatening villains like Malefor or his father.

* Malefor. Whether he's an Adventure Pack villain or a main game one, he would make a great, more powerful villain to fit the new beginning of the series.

* Loose the gimmick. After the ability to create your own Skylander, there's no real way to follow it up. Instead of that holding the series back, I want new games that actually focus and center around the plot than the Skylanders. As for Skylanders, I'd like to just get around 30-40 new cores. That way, the gimmick doesn't rule over the game and new Skylanders can be made without the pressure of them fitting into an idea or forced concept.

What about you guys?
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#2 Posted: 22:04:51 12/07/2017
The concept of reboot is erasing everything that came before, so rebooting Skylanders would mean erasing and restart everything from scratch.

If I would suggest some drastic changes, since that's what you're referring to, in my vision, I would say...

• Get rid of toy requirement. Still make the toys compatible, but make each and every character, Magic Item, or anything else unlockable and playable by the actual game.
  • Add depth to the upgrade and stat systems. Don't make them complicated, just deeper.
  • Add a lot of lore, no matter what it is, add it.
  • Work and fix characters from past games, including more options for Imaginators, more balance between characters.
  • Add extra modes and replay value, even if by artificial ways and only for bragging rights. Like, those extra quests all characters had in Giants.
  • Put Lorne Balfe back.
---
Bruh
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#3 Posted: 22:20:05 12/07/2017
No toy requirement, adapt lore to Academy to cleanly remove the portal gimmick, god damn you put Lorne Balfe back.

Academy can still work with all the characters, really. Just maybe handwave that cadets can go on missions, or have a bonus for in-show veterans. All in all though, I'm ok with the regular game lore and style(aside from the licensed music), my issue is with the development cycle and marketing.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
TTD Hunter Gems: 6213
#4 Posted: 22:28:36 12/07/2017
This is from a previous topic:

I think think that the next Skylanders should go back to its roots, forget completely about the gimmicks and focus entirely on what made Skylanders great in the first place and try to recreate that. I think it should only have 20 figures (1 per element) and should completely scrap the idea of elemental gates. Instead have 1 elemental chest hidden in every level that can only be opened by a certain element. This means that people will feel less cheated as they won't feel they're missing out on big areas of the game. Now more than ever Activision needs to rebuild trust within the community and with the general consumer, they need to show that they're not using the Skylanders franchise just as a cash cow. They could also have two ways for the player to purchases the characters - a physical figure for £7.99 (the original price of Spyro's Adventure figures) or a digital version of the character for £3.99 (allowing for a cheaper option). It would also need new branding, showing to the consumer that this is a 'new start' for the franchise.
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#5 Posted: 22:53:44 12/07/2017
No gimmick. Bring the series to it's roots, revitalize what made it great.
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#6 Posted: 23:46:25 12/07/2017
Give it a darker tone, you know people think the game is too kiddie.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8226
#7 Posted: 00:36:47 13/07/2017
Keep the over all game-play, but make the environments more open with a controllable camera (Ala, Super Mario Oddessy). Air Skylanders, winged Skylanders and Skylanders with Jetpacks can now double jump.

Make stories similar to SSA in tone, with the occasional SSC level story.

Adapt the humor of SA.

Levels much bigger, and as I said, open. Skylanders Academy is one of two hubs, the other being the games feature hub. Academy being the traditional hub for fun.

Perhaps, have a level creation gimmick.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:40:36 13/07/2017 by HeyitsHotDog
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#8 Posted: 14:42:04 13/07/2017
Quote: KeybasHedKey

Doesn't stop hordes of people from buying the Lego games.

Being kid-friendly also means noob-friendly, which means couples can play together even if they aren't both gamers.

I bought a clearance copy of Trap Team for my best friend to play with his girlfriend. He's not a huge fan, but she loves it, so it's a good way for her to join in on his hobby. (Didn't hurt that I loaned him my bucket of TT figures, either.)
Psychomancer Yellow Sparx Gems: 1374
#9 Posted: 13:58:41 25/07/2017
Quote: Bifrost
No toy requirement, adapt lore to Academy to cleanly remove the portal gimmick, god damn you put Lorne Balfe back.

Academy can still work with all the characters, really. Just maybe handwave that cadets can go on missions, or have a bonus for in-show veterans. All in all though, I'm ok with the regular game lore and style(aside from the licensed music), my issue is with the development cycle and marketing.

Why do you think that removing the portal gimmick would make the game better?

I mean, a can see a Non-Toys To Life Skylanders game working, but I don't know. Removing portals altogether?

I think it would be kind of odd. The reason I couldn't really get into Academy was because of the complete removal of the concept of Portal Masters. To me world simply isn't the same without it. I would really like if the Portal Master (the player) were more directly addressed in the games, like when Kaos talks directly to us in Trap Team (that put a really big smile on my face the first time I played!). I mean, if the NPC's are gonna address all Skylanders in a generic way, why don't make them talk directly to us, at least the main cast that are aware of our presence (Flynn, Cali, Hugo, Tessa, etc).

If I'm being honest, I can see how a game reboot could work perfectly fine in the molds of Academy, without the concept of Portal Masters, but the series wouldn't be for me anymore then smilie .

Quote: McMurderpaws

Doesn't stop hordes of people from buying the Lego games.

Being kid-friendly also means noob-friendly, which means couples can play together even if they aren't both gamers.

I bought a clearance copy of Trap Team for my best friend to play with his girlfriend. He's not a huge fan, but she loves it, so it's a good way for her to join in on his hobby. (Didn't hurt that I loaned him my bucket of TT figures, either.)

LEGO games, and Nintendo games as well, tend to acknowledge their older audience as well, though. Look at the roster of LEGO Marvel Superheroes, LEGO Avengers and LEGO Batman 3. They are full of obscure characters that are a love letter to longtime comic book fans. Look at LEGO Dimensions Marketing, the commercials all showed adults playing the game. Most franchises in LEGO Dimensions appeal to an older audience. And they always put so much detail and care in their adaptations of the licenses, it is so delightful.

Nintendo too. They know that nostalgia plays a big part on the sales of their big franchises. They have a loyal fanbase of people who keep coming back for their games. Of course, it is made to be family-friendly, and welcomes new kids into the Nintendo fanbase, but they don't dismiss the people that has been with them for so long.

Activision, on the other hand, seems adamant about dismissing that Skylanders have a portion of their audience that is older. They don't even bother with the growing of the kids that started with the first game, always expecting their audience to be new kids.

I don't think a darker tone is the way to go either (although I would certainly love some darker undertones here and there, in the characters backstories and the lore, sort of like how Pokémon have some creepy entries in the pokedex) but the way they treat it and market it as a kids only game is kind of irritating and not helping them at all.
---
Behold, my Catchphrase of Doom!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 14:26:00 25/07/2017 by Psychomancer
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#10 Posted: 17:11:26 25/07/2017
• I want the portal to be built in the game and the next game not to have new skylanders
• Skylanders will be unlocked throughout the game...The portal master will look for the skylander in various places in the human world or save them from being brainwashed in skylands.
• More relastic art style I like the current one , but one game won't hurt.
• Playing as ourselves in the game and having full ability to create customs / hair / facial features that will make the character look like us
• Darker story and I want them to expand the lore
• Skylanders entering the human world every once in a while
• More npc skylanders + our classic beloved npcs
• Missions for each skylanders + Time challnages + Online Battle mode and local Battle Mode + Arena challenges + Survival Modes.
• Aurora will be a skylander / portal master hybrid and Eon is still alive
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#11 Posted: 19:38:43 25/07/2017

Would never, ever work - even if they got rid of the toys. You want darker, go play Diablo, all "going darker" would do to Skylanders is alienate the vast majority of fans of the franchise and likely would not attract ones that are not. Parents would see it and refuse to get it for their kids. Older people would shun the huge tone shift as being weird.

The only small sliver of the players that it would appeal to are kids that are too afraid to play the game (or do it in secret) because their friends will make fun of them for playing a "kiddie" game so they want the franchise to change so they don't have to stand up to kids their age and defend their choice of entertainment.
SkyFan91 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1806
#12 Posted: 20:05:21 25/07/2017
Oh defpally where you been? It's been a while
#13 Posted: 20:08:29 25/07/2017
Quote: Psychomancer

I mean, a can see a Non-Toys To Life Skylanders game working, but I don't know. Removing portals altogether?

I think it would be kind of odd. The reason I couldn't really get into Academy was because of the complete removal of the concept of Portal Masters. To me world simply isn't the same without it. I would really like if the Portal Master (the player) were more directly addressed in the games, like when Kaos talks directly to us in Trap Team (that put a really big smile on my face the first time I played!). I mean, if the NPC's are gonna address all Skylanders in a generic way, why don't make them talk directly to us, at least the main cast that are aware of our presence (Flynn, Cali, Hugo, Tessa, etc).

If I'm being honest, I can see how a game reboot could work perfectly fine in the molds of Academy, without the concept of Portal Masters, but the series wouldn't be for me anymore then smilie .

A gimmick shouldn't make or break a game. As TV Tropes puts it, it's a dancing bear - remove the bells and whistles and Skylanders it a kiddy version of Diablo and nothing special. And for it to last, the bells and whistles can't be all it can offer.

I'm eh on removing the Portal Master lore in Academy, it works because Eon is now the creator of the organization and everyone worked "freelance" before, but in the games it's not even used effectively anymore. You can only play with the fourth wall so long before it surprises no one, and at Imaginators, it definately doesn't for me. Most characters bar Kaos and a few even addresses the Skylander like you don't exist, so it's obvious the devs' heart isn't in that anymore. And if they can't make it work, I'd be completely fine with removing it for something better like using Eric Rogers' new take on the lore.

Doesn't have to be for every game if I had to make a choice though. Have every few years a big game with figures, and release inbetween games where the figures either don't matter or give you bonuses at the most. Just more figures, less game, less gaps no longer sustains itself.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:09:09 25/07/2017 by Bifrost
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#14 Posted: 20:51:58 25/07/2017
This post is mostly a mess, by the way.

1. No toys, just a small selection of characters to play as. (10?)
  2. Spyro as the main character, with his Academy design (at least).
  3. More open levels, that act as a loop like in the Original Spyro.
  4. Characters who can fly can actually fly, not hover, and switching between characters is beneficial - e.g. to get to some areas you're gonna need someone who can fly up there.
  5. I wanna say better movesets? Say what you like about LOS's combat, but I prefer it to the upgrades in Skylanders.
  6. Gems as the currency. I dunno why but this has always annoyed me.
  7. Whoever you're playing as, Sparx acts as a health meter again.
  8. Bring back Malefor! I love this guy.
  9. Completely new NPCs.

This is just from the top of my head. I'm not saying this would even be that great, but these are just some individual things I've wanted over the years.
#15 Posted: 23:40:30 25/07/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Psychomancer

A gimmick shouldn't make or break a game. As TV Tropes puts it, it's a dancing bear - remove the bells and whistles and Skylanders it a kiddy version of Diablo and nothing special. And for it to last, the bells and whistles can't be all it can offer.

I'm eh on removing the Portal Master lore in Academy, it works because Eon is now the creator of the organization and everyone worked "freelance" before, but in the games it's not even used effectively anymore. You can only play with the fourth wall so long before it surprises no one, and at Imaginators, it definately doesn't for me. Most characters bar Kaos and a few even addresses the Skylander like you don't exist, so it's obvious the devs' heart isn't in that anymore. And if they can't make it work, I'd be completely fine with removing it for something better like using Eric Rogers' new take on the lore.

Doesn't have to be for every game if I had to make a choice though. Have every few years a big game with figures, and release inbetween games where the figures either don't matter or give you bonuses at the most. Just more figures, less game, less gaps no longer sustains itself.

I see where you are coming from. The games are kinda lackluster in the way of addressing you as the Portal Master, that much is true. You are still addressed in some key moments, like in the final battle of Imaginators when the Brain decides to side with you against Kaos, and being the one giving form to the imaginators, wich is kind of the whole deal of the game. The bulk of the NPC's however never talk to you (and I'm kind of ok with that, but still think that the core supporting cast should talk to you, at least sometimes.)

I can see a game without the figures working still with the Portal Masters lore though. It can seem odd to think of being a Portal Master without the physical portal and figures, but from what I gather from the lore, in past time, the portals were used to transport the skylanders from one place to another within the Skylands, not from our world to theirs. We could have this Portal on the hubworld from where we send the Skylanders to the missions/levels. Maintain the Portal Master level mechanic, preferably with the perks system from superchargers, and keep the player being adressed in key moments, etc. What I'm saying is that you don't need to keep the gimmick to maintain the Portal Master concept behind it.

That being said, I can see it working perfectly fine in a reboot series, with a lore akin to Skylanders Academy. And I'm sure most people wouldn't care about the removal of Portal Masters. But I would sincerely miss it.

To me Skylanders without Portal Masters is like Pokémon without Pokémon Trainers, or Digimon without Digidestined. And it can definitely work, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is a fantastic game series! But then the world is fundamentally different. There is something special about forming a bond with these partners who fight for us in these types of games.
---
#16 Posted: 00:46:23 26/07/2017
Quote: Drawdler
The only game that adressed the Portal Master right, consistently throughout the plot, was SA IMO. (Even that slipped with it during some NPC dialogue and could have had Kaos say more to/about you.)

In the other games it's so rare it feels out-of-place.

I wish SA's style had continued. I don't like the new one because it makes the toy gimmick feel like... well, a gimmick. It always was and that didn't make it inherintely good or bad, but I feel like the gimmick actually enhanced SA. Outside of there, it was rarely used the same way, and I think it's a real shame. Doesn't have to be a main plot point or something, but at least seeing the characters talk and refer to you instead of your Skylanders almost every time would be much nicer. I don't feel like part of the story any more, even though according to older lore (which was never properly explained away if it has been changed, just sloppily retconned), I should be the only reason the Skylanders are even able to get back to Skylands.

Completely agree with you. Even the reason for the Skylanders getting to Earth was done terribly poorly in Imaginators. It was already lackluster in Superchargers with them simply being "sent to you", but I guess someone needed to get those vehicles out here on Earth so that the other Skylander could return (with the connection being cut by Kaos and all that) so I can buy that the Superchargers had to make the ultimate sacrifice and exile themselves on Earth so that the vehicles could get here. But the same can't be said for Imaginators. Senseis being "sent to you" doesn't make sense in the context of Imaginators. I mean, we have all these NPC skylanders acting independently of any Portal Master, why couldn't the senseis? And how all those Imaginator Crystals got here anyway? At least they explained the traps in TT. That was the big letdown for me in Imaginators, even though I love the game

Seeing characters refer to you instead of your skylander would be a lot nicer indeed.
---
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#17 Posted: 10:30:21 26/07/2017
- Toys are no longer required. They can be used to unlock optional content (like increased stats), but are not necessary.

- Only 10 playable Skylanders, one for each element. They each have a unique ability, like Air being able to fly in certain areas. All 10 Skylanders are needed to complete the game.

- Nonlinear open world gameplay. Just a preference, but I've always thought from the start that Skylanders could do this well.

- Skylanders have a more advanced stat system and customization, like certain armor and equipment making you jump higher or attack faster.

- All/most previous Skylanders appear as NPCs.
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
KingMed Gold Sparx Gems: 2456
#18 Posted: 10:51:26 26/07/2017
I'm not really fascinated by the toys as I used to be...and they are getting more expensive every year that's why I want them to ditch the toys to life thing at least for one game...I want to see how different the gameplay is going to be without the toys / many characters limiting some gameplay aspects.
Wally-Gang Gold Sparx Gems: 2987
#19 Posted: 13:14:30 26/07/2017
This is a totally fascinating topic for discussion and I'm glad I stopped in to read. I do have one question for those who want to do away with the physical toys. How would I play with my skylanders at your house? I think this is a pretty big part of having them to begin with.
---
"Come rang or shine"
Still troubled by him speaking
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1216
#20 Posted: 13:27:25 26/07/2017
Quote: Wally-Gang
This is a totally fascinating topic for discussion and I'm glad I stopped in to read. I do have one question for those who want to do away with the physical toys. How would I play with my skylanders at your house? I think this is a pretty big part of having them to begin with.

Setting up a Skylanders account with the unique web codes might be one idea, but whether they're still valid now thanks to the shutting down of most online services, I can't say. And if you didn't have that little card you'd have to use the old games and access the code through menus in those. I won't go into the issues that digital distribution have either, but there are indeed pros and cons with going toyless/disc-free, etc.
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#21 Posted: 13:48:01 26/07/2017

As I said, I don't want to completely do away with toys, just make it so they unlock bonus content insteaad of playable characters.

And if they did this, they could instead include a read/write function for them like the amiibo do. So if you took them round a friend's house, you could instead have increased stats on that Skylander, or have unique equipment.

Then you would still have the same "use them at your friend's house" concept, but it wouldn't be necessary to have the toys to play the game.
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
#22 Posted: 13:59:26 26/07/2017

As I said, doesn't have to be permanent. If I was calling the shots and I saw people couldn't keep up with figures, I'd make the games with TTL a big occasion - the DOTD, or the AHT of the cycle, comparing to Spyro. Focus the marketing on this new and exciting lineup that'll take a while to get, but the game will be worth every expensive plastic.

In between, regular games. Maybe connecting the portal gives a bonus if you have a corresponding Skylander, but no longer a requirement to get anything. I never had the experience of taking my Skylanders to a friend since they don't have the games ,so I have little attachment to the whole saving progress part. Maybe tie it to a profile like in the mobile games, dunno. But the games probably wouldn't have the same upgrade system as the current games since it wouldn't help the mechanics - have something tied to that game alone, or upgrades that change the whole cast of that Element.
---
#23 Posted: 01:09:12 27/07/2017
Universe allowed you to get the codes by scanning the figure, maybe scan once and use codes for future games.
---
Wishblade Emerald Sparx Gems: 3262
#24 Posted: 04:21:03 27/07/2017
Mm?mm
---
Any last wishes?
#25 Posted: 12:00:46 27/07/2017
Sorry, I was writing that on a hurry. If you installed the Portal Driver on your PC(two guesses as to why this was a bad idea and why the PC version was cut), you could just connect the portal to Skylanders Universe and scan your figures that way, albeit it had a lot of lag. Iirc they would show the code with it, while the next game that did this, Lost Islands, doesn't.

Then I noticed I'm stupid because every figure up to Trap Team has the code ingame. Whoops. That would mean that we'd only need a service to convert the figure into a code for Superchargers and Imaginators.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:01:30 27/07/2017 by Bifrost
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me