Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > Guys.. I have a theory [Connection between Originals, TLoS, and Skylanders)
Page 1 of 1
Guys.. I have a theory [Connection between Originals, TLoS, and Skylanders)
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#1 Posted: 06:22:14 12/07/2017 | Topic Creator
If you haven't played Skylanders or LoS, there ARE spoilers here.

The part about connecting the original series can be found toward the end.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this because it ties into more than one game, so I'm posting it here. I haven't taken a look at Spyro OR Skylanders since Spyro's Adventure came out. With the release of the Crash Bandicoot remaster, I became curious as to if there would be a Spyro remaster, which sparked my interest in the purple dragon once more. Anyway... onto the theory.

After watching a video on youtube, I discovered the fact that Malefor, the evil purple dragon from the Legend of Spyro trilogy, was also present in the Skylanders comic series. I was completely unaware of this and it shocked me. I knew that Cynder had also made her way into the universe along Spyro but I never thought much of it. Now that I see MALEFOR has made his way in, I can't help but to think...

Are TLoS and Skylanders connected?

Many have argued that they cannot be connected whatsoever for reasons that Spyro looks nothing like his previous version as well as a developer of Skylanders stating that Malefor in Skylands was not the same Malefor from LoS. Now the fact he stated this may mean exactly what is stated... that doesn't hurt my theory.

I believe that the Legend of Spyro and Skylanders are in fact connected, and let me tell you why.

In the Skylanders 3-part comic "Return of the Dragon King", Malefor makes his appearance as the most evil villain in Skylands. According to the comic, he has crowned himself king of the underworld and has reigned for centuries. It is also stated that Malefor is undead, which means he was once alive but then died and was brought back. Hm...

Anyway, it is also stated that Cynder was stolen before she even hatched by Malefor and his minions and then possessed with darkness, which gave her the undead ability. This sounds exactly like LoS. Another fact is Malefor clearly states in the comic that he and Spyro have "fought before at a different time", but Spyro cannot seem to remember this.

At the end of Malefor's story, he is dragged down off the Skylands to his presumed demise, with his last line being "NO!!" As many of you are aware, in TLoS, Malefor is also dragged down to his death, but by dragon ancestors. He also yells "NO!!" as this happens. Now this connection may be very well coincidental, but let me now get to the theory.

In the first episode of Skylander Academy, you witness Spyro being born from his egg. This implies that Skylanders is not related to LoS, for as Spyro was also seen being born in ANB. But let's take a look back at the end of Dawn of the Dragon.

At the end of DoTD, Spyro sacrifices himself in order to save the world, taking Cynder along with him. After the credits roll, the Chronicler reveals that Spyro is apparently alive, but he cannot find him. It then shows Spyro and Cynder flying around in a world where there are floating islands.

What I believed happened is that Spyro's magic, which repaired the world and saved everyone, did in fact KILL him as well as Cynder. However, the magic also worked as a revival, which re-incarnated Spyro and Cynder as dragon eggs in another world... Skylands. This explains why the Chronicler doesn't know where they are... because they're in alternate dimensions. The reason they're flying in the cutscene is because the time periods in Skylands vs. LoS are different. In Skylands, Spyro and Cynder are still eggs, but LoS sees them as teenagers.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 06:51:55 12/07/2017 by Fireball
Fireball Emerald Sparx Gems: 3156
#2 Posted: 06:51:40 12/07/2017 | Topic Creator
Now how did Malefor get to Skylands? Well, Malefor "died" right where Spyro and Cynder did. So I believed the magic actually reached far enough to re-incarnate Malefor into Skylands. The reason Malefor is a grown adult (he's reigned in the underworld for centuries) is because he was already VERY VERY old in LoS. He was stated to have been the first purple dragon, so he must be very old. Yes, Malefor later tells Spyro that he was in fact not the first purple dragon. I counterattack this by stating these other purple dragons were from other dimensions. Being imprisoned in Convexity, Malefor was actually trapped in an interdimensional portal, which allowed him to see into alternate realities where there WERE other purple dragons.

Returning to why Malefor is not an egg, too... I believe the re-incarnation is more like a time machine, which sends the person back a few hundred years. Because Spyro and Cynder were only teenagers, they were sent back to day 1. Because Malefor is SUPER old, he was merely transformed into a younger Malefor as seen in the Skylanders comic.

I believe that Skylands IS an alternate dimension from LoS, and that it has a completely different time period.

With Spyro being re-incarnated, he doesn't remember ANY of his memories from LoS (because that's how re-incarnation works, right?) which explains why he doesn't remember his previous battle with Malefor in the comics. Cynder wouldn't remember this either. Malefor on the other hand does remember this because he wasn't set back to birth.

Anywho, once Malefor realized what had happened, he decided to get revenge by possessing Cynder AGAIN in a chance to destroy Spyro. Because Malefor was dragged underground in DotD, he was re-incarnated underground in Skylands, where he names himself the king of the undead. Obviously, his plans were thwarted once again by Spyro, but he made his big return in the comics. Cynder is freed from his control and becomes a Skylander.

So basically, what I think is that Spyro's sacrificie in DotD caused all three dragons to be re-incarnated into a different dimension (Skylands).

One other thing... there's a character from a Spyro game that not a whole lot of people remember due to the game being quite unpopular. The game is called Shadow Legacy. Anyone remember that evil 4-winged purple dragon called... the Sorceror?

Here's a pic.

[User Posted Image]

You've got to admit, he draws a strikingly close resemblance to these guys:
[User Posted Image]
[User Posted Image]

I think that the Sorceror is actually the Dark Master himself. Why? At the end of Shadow Legacy, the Sorceror disappears into a portal, making a narrow escape from Spyro. He also says that he "must return home...must escape.." So where is home exactly?

What I think is that, while Malefor was in Convexity, he visited this world in the form of the Sorceror, perhaps in an attempt to kill a different Spyro in a different dimension, thus disrupting all the other Spyros. When this plan failed, he retreated back to LoS, where he was released from convexity in TEN.

So what I think is that there are actually THREE Malefor's: The Sorceror, the original Dark Master, and his re-incarnation in Skylands. Spyro the Dragon is actually a series of alternate dimensions. I mean, it's possible... just look at Sonic Generations and Spider-Man: Dimensions.

That's pretty much all I have for the theory right now. It's just a theory, and I'm 99% positive all this is bull ****. But I DO see a connection.. What do you guys think?

----
Also, one more thing. I came up with an idea that could create a new Spyro game... not Skylanders... a SPYRO game. Or rather a Skylanders game that focused entirely on Spyro.

So lets say that this theory above is in fact CORRECT. What if Skylanders Malefor, knowing his past history and that there are other dimensions, came up with a way to return to these dimensions and visit his counterparts. Skylanders Malefor ended up going back in time and visiting the Sorceror from Shadow Legacy, which was basically Malefor BEFORE he was released from his prison. Together, Malefor and the Sorceror managed to resurrect DotD Malefor to his full glory. With all three Malefors coexisting at the same time, the dimensions started to collide, causing Skylands to mix with LoS and so on and so forth.

So here's where the game comes in. With all the dimensions combining, original Spyro, LoS Spyro, and Skylanders Spyro must all work together to defeat the three Malefors and restore peace. In the game, you get to play as each Spyro, with each Spyro having its own unique style in levels and gameplay (the original Spyro would be mostly platforming, LoS fighting, and Skylanders adventure).

At the end of the game, all three Malefors could combine to become one huge, powerful Malefor. In turn, all three Spyro's could combine to become an ADULT SPYRO, which is something we've never seen before. The end of the game could result in Malefor being trapped in a broken dimension that doesn't exist for all eternity and the dimensions separating again, which would separate the three Spyros.

Seriously, this would be a really cool way of tying in all three series so that Skylanders fans, LoS fans, and original fans would ALL like it. And I have a feeling it could earn a lot of profit and be the next biggest Spyro game. I am considering sending this idea to one of the developers over at Activision to perhaps give inspiration.
----

So what do you guys think about the theory? Complete bull **** or does it make sense? What do you think about the game idea? Should it be a thing??

Let me know! If you have any questions about the theory feel free to discuss them with me below.
---
OblivionSkull21, up and coming indie developer
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:00:47 08/09/2017 by Fireball
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#3 Posted: 12:56:21 24/07/2017
You've put a lot of effort into this, which is great! Buttt I can't see how it would work.

- IIRC Shadow Legacy was made by people who went on to create LOS so they just reused the idea of another purple dragon antagonist.
- Skylanders Academy is confirmed to be a separate canon to the main series games (or something like that). SSA gave Spyro a different backstory to the one seen in Academy.
- Oh, and the title 'legend of Spyro' suggests the story isn't necessarily completely true, or at least that's what I've always thought (if you really want to try and fit the games together instead of accepting that whoever made these games probably didn't plan it like that).

Still, what an interesting read! I love theories like this.
Enderking90 Red Sparx Gems: 89
#4 Posted: 13:25:51 10/09/2017
hmm.....

something I personally find interesting is how there are powerful, more or less sacred beings by the name ancients on both francises as well....

also, the way of how petrified darkness can turn skylanders into dark variations, which have same appearence as spyro's dark variation, which is from malefor's power....
this leads me to believe that petrified darkness' origin is from malefor's powers, possibly something that leaked from his body or possibly they are related to dark crystals, they both do share the ability to power up golem-like constructs.
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#5 Posted: 16:35:22 10/09/2017
Gotta say, not a bad theory at all. I've thought of how all the Spyro's could connect too and the idea I keep coming back to is the alternate dimension theory much like you did, but in my mind they all exist at the same time just in different dimensions. They (the Spyros and Malefors) are connected by overarching entities of light/good and dark/evil. The reason there are multiples of the two are because A) One cannot exist without the other and B ) The forces of light and dark are too great to be contained to just one dimension/plane of existence and so divided across multiple dimensions.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:35:50 10/09/2017 by ClassicSpyroLUV
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me