Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Sesame Street Introduces it's first Autistic Muppet, Julia.
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
Sesame Street Introduces it's first Autistic Muppet, Julia.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#51 Posted: 05:40:15 23/03/2017
Considering my past with this site, I should say nothing on this subject or this topic will suddenly become 10 pages long.
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#52 Posted: 21:58:32 24/03/2017
Quote: Waaksian
Quote: Samius
Eh, great. I'm not exactly against the change or anything, but I can't help but to wonder what the point of this was. It was probably made to please certain adults, since the kids likely won't give a ****. I can see them just regarding this character as "strange" without looking too much into it.

See, I can understand why you may think that, but take it from me. I grew up with a brother who was diagnosed with severe autism, so I'm very familiar with the way people with that disability behave. I can spot it from yards away, and I know how to interact with people who have it.

But when I went to high school, I realized that it wasn't the case with everyone. There was a special needs class that my brother when to in the same school as me. And when I heard some of the other students talk about these kids, they talked about how strange and unnerving their behavior was to them. Like, "Oh, this autistic kid kept making the same weird noise across the hallway," and, "Oh, this autistic kid took his pants all the way down in the bathroom when I was a freshman, and it freaked me out, and I thought, 'This isn't a normal school!'"

So it occurred to me that not everyone knows why autistic people act the way they do, or that they even exist at all, until they meet one and are completely thrown off. I was normalized to autism, but a lot of other people aren't. So having an autistic character in a children's show can help normalize the existence of people with autism. This clip showed that, despite the differences, you can still play and interact with them, even though you probably can't the same way as you can other kids. It'll teach them that you don't have to avoid them out of fear of the unknown, because now they know how to be around them.

Am I making sense, or am I just rambling now?

[User Posted Image]

Love this post.
--
I also have an older brother who has severe autism. He sort of reminds me of Julia in how she focuses in on the puppet and doesn't say much. My brother is nonverbal, so he communicates through noises and very few words like 'yes' or 'no.'

I appreciate seeing all different kinds of people represented in shows like this. It gives kids a new perspective. I really like how Elmo treated Julia. The way he acted teaches kids that there's more than one way to communicate with a person. It's not shoved in your face or anything, like, "OH, LOOK AT HOW AUTISTIC THAT PERSON IS."
They just show them for who they are, and that's all they need to do.
---

Also, I'd like to mention that Arthur actually did an episode quite a few years ago on Asperger syndrome when George is introduced to a new character. I thought it was handled very maturely, and I suggest checking it out if anyone is interested.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:02:22 24/03/2017 by Kitty
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me