Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > The Lost Potential of LoS
Page 1 of 1
The Lost Potential of LoS
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#1 Posted: 03:01:01 24/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Ever since we got off on a tangent on this topic about all the scrapped ideas for the Legend trilogy, I haven't quite been able to stop thinking about it.

What really got me firing on all cylinders was this post linking to the deviantART of one of the designers of LoS:

Quote: Bifrost
What EL used was just a tiny fraction of what Pullen really wanted. Here's the long LONG discourse about Convexity Breath/Aether, though he abandoned the account after that unfortunately.

Like, look through what (lamentably little) he has in his gallery. One thing of note is a discussion on this artwork (spoilered because of size):

[User Posted Image]

Let's discuss this crap, y'all. What do you think would have better suited the Legend trilogy? Where might the series have gone had it been more developed? Have at it.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 12:18:06 24/02/2017
There's more than just this page, too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20...-TLoS-556546930
(There's a part 2 but I don't have the link)

http://soulfulsavage.blogspot....r-fans.html?m=1
(At least 3 parts)

Where do I even begin with the wasted potential? More on the non-dragons that was scrapped; Pyra, Ignitus' apprentice; the development of Cynder and the Elders in the last game that was ditched halfway through development, the lands mentioned in TEN GBA and the original dragon cities... I could go on for a while.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Dragon Lover Emerald Sparx Gems: 4649
#3 Posted: 00:19:07 25/02/2017 | Topic Creator
Like, I'm a real big sucker on character development. I've been replaying TEN and I've noticed how, in Spyro's dreams, the Chronicler speaks to him about the path of his destiny and his impulsive nature and such things that imply that Spyro has been learning and growing throughout his journeys, but the game is just too short and there's too few cutscenes to actually show those things.

I think it'd have been super neat to actually SEE that development instead of just hearing the Chronicler talk about it.
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#4 Posted: 02:36:36 03/03/2017
did not help that devs were switched in middle of game. most of the series' story came from krome team from what jared says
ClassicSpyroLUV Yellow Sparx Gems: 1193
#5 Posted: 19:43:57 02/04/2017
Quote: Dragon Lover
Like, I'm a real big sucker on character development. I've been replaying TEN and I've noticed how, in Spyro's dreams, the Chronicler speaks to him about the path of his destiny and his impulsive nature and such things that imply that Spyro has been learning and growing throughout his journeys, but the game is just too short and there's too few cutscenes to actually show those things.

I think it'd have been super neat to actually SEE that development instead of just hearing the Chronicler talk about it.

What if he wasn't talking only about the Spyro of LOS? Say what you want about Skylanders but I really like the idea they put out there about there being or have been multiple Spyros of different timelines/universes. What if the Chronicler was referring to ALL the Spyros? Classic, LOS, Skylanders, fan made, ALL OF THEM!!
#6 Posted: 19:50:29 02/04/2017
LoS was an attempt at a reboot(so multiple purple dragons, but only one Spyro), only Skylanders put itself in the grey area because they can never decide if Skyro is a descends from the others or IS LoS or Classic but older. Then comes Skylanders Academy making it further confusing by having him hatch in Skylands but his parents are nowhere to be seen.
---
#7 Posted: 19:58:26 02/04/2017
Why would he have to be directly descended from another Spyro or even purple dragon? What if the Purple dragons as a race/sub species of dragon exist outside of any set timeline/universe? What if they crop up when/wherever a hero is needed? That could also explain why Spyro has never had parents.

What if the end of DotD happened earlier? Malefor could then take time corrupting Spyro. I heard way back before DotD was even released that Cynder was supposed to have been under Malefor’s control the whole time. IDK if that’s true, but wouldn’t that have been amazing? That way there could be the question of whether or not she was all good and Malefor was lying, all evil and it was just a cruel lie, or if there was a middle ground. Maybe she was good (or trying to be) but Malefor (or the force that corrupted him) could see through her eyes or look at her thoughts. For that matter, I don’t see how Maelfor could not have captured them while they were still trapped. He MUST have known they were in the Well of Souls so why didn’t he go get them or at least have some baddies go get them for him? Who/what even were those things that broke them out anyway? What about the monster that tried to kill them? And the chain binding them that those creatures put on them, didn’t that come from Malefor? If not then who? Sorry it’s been years since I played any LOS.

OH MY GOD, PYRA! That’s enough for a game trilogy all on its own! The LOS team need to get back together and make a graphic novel AT LEAST!!!!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:02:59 02/04/2017 by ClassicSpyroLUV
#8 Posted: 20:11:47 02/04/2017
Skyro's backstory mentions he was recorded by the Ancients, which are from millenia ago. Either they saw multiple and everyone thinks he's the same person, or they were seeing him out of regular time flow. They also say he comes from a line of purple dragons, so that Spyro's family line has plenty.

I don't remember that one about Cynder, been a looong time since I read the stuff that was cut from the game that wasn't said by Pullen(like the Elders having more lines, etc).
---
#9 Posted: 20:34:50 02/04/2017
Maybe the Ancients did see multiple Spyros but maybe all Spyros embony the same force of ultimate or at least great good, so maybe they DID think they were the same person. Maybe there are multiple lines of purple dragons in all timelines/universes that stem from one source, or the line of purple dragons could be referring to all the purple dragons across all timelines/universes.

Here's something random I just thought of. Why are dragons and apes at war? I know Apes work for Malefor but why? What does he promise them? Why do they accept? Were they at odds before Malefor? What crime did the dragons commit?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:03:34 02/04/2017 by ClassicSpyroLUV
#10 Posted: 22:12:57 02/04/2017
Malefor promised the apes power, other than that I don't think they ever explained their issue. I guess it's just to be the stand-in for Orcs for the LOTR parallels. There's the Shadow Wraiths, Gaul's guys, who seem to be cultish mercenaries, but those guys weren't actually explained in TEN so it's not exactly part of the plot.
---
madison-dwrd Emerald Sparx Gems: 3201
#11 Posted: 06:19:35 08/05/2017
I agree that there's a lot of lost potential for TLOS, especially in the story. Honestly I think that's mostly because there was no larger story planned from the start. ANB had a pretty generic story and pretty flat characters (especially Spyro, which is unfortunate since he's the protagonist and all). TEN had a lot more mystery, which I appreciated, but of course it didn't pay off because DOTD was something completely different. Different people tried to mash their own different ideas into what previously happened in the story and didn't always make sense, for example Malefor's line about him not being the first purple dragon. Also it's weird that Spyro and Cynder's relationship changed in DOTD, and I don't think that was a good call.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and mention that there is a developer who worked on TEN (and possibly other TLOS games? I'm not sure) who sometimes visits this site. His username is Donnicous if you are interested in asking him some questions. He still seems to really care about this franchise, TEN in particular, and agrees that there was lost potential in the series that he wishes he could go back and fix a lot of it. Pretty cool that multiple people involved in the development of these 10 year old games still care enough to reach out and discuss with the fans, specifically Jared Pullen, and a few years ago, Rebecca Kneubuhl.
---
You gotta believe!
danyq94 Gold Sparx Gems: 2787
#12 Posted: 10:38:24 08/05/2017
Quote: Bifrost
LoS was an attempt at a reboot(so multiple purple dragons, but only one Spyro), only Skylanders put itself in the grey area because they can never decide if Skyro is a descends from the others or IS LoS or Classic but older. Then comes Skylanders Academy making it further confusing by having him hatch in Skylands but his parents are nowhere to be seen.

The official announcement of "TLOS A new beginning" said that this was a prequel of the whole Spyro series.
//www.darkspyro.net/news/283/
---
I love Crash & Spyro! Visit my italian site:
http://crashzone.forumcommunity.net
#13 Posted: 10:45:58 08/05/2017
It doesn't match up with Classic in any shape or form.
---
WFLD Emerald Sparx Gems: 3600
#14 Posted: 16:44:28 08/05/2017
I think I remember seeing somewhere (I can't remember specifically where) that ANB was intended (at conception, at least) to be a prequel but ultimately drifted away as development went on. Off the top of my head, the downloadable version on the Xbox marketplace said something along the lines of 'uncover[ing] Spyro's secret past...' in its description.

I don't have any sources for that, though :/
faunatic Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#15 Posted: 02:53:51 12/05/2017
los is officially a reboot. may have been prequel early on but by release of anb it was a reboot.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me