Page 1 of 1
Discussion about Guest Skylanders
MetaVolca Green Sparx Gems: 464
#1 Posted: 21:47:56 04/12/2016 | Topic Creator
So over the past 2 years, from what I've gathered, the Guest Skylanders have always been very well received from both fans of Skylanders and those who aren't. And with this years guests, Crash Bandicoot and Neo Cortex, we see that Activision isn't scared to take leaps by even taking characters who haven't been relevant in over a decade and put them into Skylanders. But I ask all of you now, what happens next?

The first guest Skylanders were Donkey Kong and Bowser, who are both owned by Nintendo. A big problem is that Nintendo is very protective and maybe even a little stupid with their property, for example making these characters only playable on the Wii U version. This makes it saddening for someone like me who bought the Wii U version of Superchargers but have transferred over to the Xbox One version, for better gameplay results. This year, we've gotten Crash and Cortex, both who are owned by Sony. These characters were exclusive to the PS4 starter pack, but are released now and are playable on every console.

So this begs the big question, who's next? From a beginning standpoint, it would seem that Microsoft would have control over the next guest characters, but most of Microsofts games aren't too child friendly, and most of all, unknown. Frankly, the only characters I could imagine them putting in are Battletoads and Banjo-Kazooie, seeing as they own Rareware. But, it could be entirely possible that Activision would add some characters into Skylanders. And you know who is partners with Activision?

Blizzard

I know the concept is completely in the air right now, but it's good to get discussion in early.
---
"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#2 Posted: 21:53:54 04/12/2016
Banjo-Kazooie or Sonic.

You know it, I know it. Though if it was me we wouldn't have guest skylanders outside of post release - taking up slots for Light and Dark and now battle classes was really silly.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#3 Posted: 21:55:45 04/12/2016
Well they've done Nintendo and Sony characters, so the next logical step is Banjo, being Microsoft property (never forgetti). Then again it's also Spyro's 20th anniversary next year, so perhaps Ripto or Hunter?
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#4 Posted: 22:12:46 04/12/2016
Well, considering the guest Skylanders always seem to be based on a character's anniversary, at least from what I can see (Last year was Mario's 30th anniversary, and we got Mario characters in the game, and this year was Crash and Cortex for Crash' 20th anniversary, as well as to promote the N. Sane Trilogy), so I see future guest stars following a similar route.

I think having classic Spyro characters like Hunter, Bentley, or Ripto would be the most likely to commemorate Spyro's 20th anniversary. Even though that would probably make the whole "Spyro's Fall From Grace" notion a lot worse.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#5 Posted: 23:12:08 04/12/2016
It's worth noting that Crash isn't owned by Sony. Not at all. That's why he isn't exclusive to Sony systems.
---
Bruh
ChillStealthElf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1864
#6 Posted: 23:27:50 04/12/2016
Quote: Crash10
It's worth noting that Crash isn't owned by Sony. Not at all. That's why he isn't exclusive to Sony systems.

This...Sony never really owned Crash OR Spyro to begin with. Insomniac owned Spyro in the PS1 days, and Naughty Dog owned Crash. Then Universal bought the rights, and now both IPs are owned by Activision.

OT: if we get more guests in the future, I would love to see Hunter & Bianca from the classic Spyro games, Coco & Crunch from the Crash games, Sonic and if we get console exclusives: Ratchet & Clank for Playstation, Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox and Fox McCloud for Nintendo
GigaCamo Emerald Sparx Gems: 4288
#7 Posted: 00:15:00 05/12/2016
I have a good reason why Sonic and Dr. Eggman will be the next guest star.

Sonic's 20th anniversary is coming up. It will be similar to Crash because a well known series is being celebrated.

Why do I think Dr. Eggman will be a guest star? If you think about it, Each batch of characters has had a hero and a villain (Spyro & Cynder) & (Donkey Kong & Bowser) & (Crash Bandicoot & Dr. Neo Cortex). If Sonic is coming to Skylanders, I think that it would be obvious the Dr. Eggman would also be in (Or at least another Sonic character). As for their elements, Eggman would easily be tech but as for Sonic, well, either Air or Fire would probably work best. Funny enough, that would mean 4 of the biggest series would come together (Mario, Sonic, Crash, Spyro). I guess Skylanders would become sorta like Smash Brothers? smilie

Also, I could see a pattern in TFB and VV guest stars. TFB adds Play Station mascots (Spyro and Crash) and VV adds popular franchise mascots (Mario and Sonic).

As for my thoughts on other Spyro characters or a classic Spyro, I doubt it will happen. Maybe a new Spyro and Cynder figure but I couldn't see "classics" being added. I mean, to the average shopper, what would the difference be (How would two different Spyro's exist in cannon anyways?)? And Skylanders Spyro plays almost like he did in the old days. Although, if we do get dragons back, maybe Malfor could be a Skylander if he isn't used as a villain.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 00:55:01 05/12/2016 by GigaCamo
#8 Posted: 00:19:32 05/12/2016
Quote: GigaCamo

Sonic's 20th anniversary is coming up. It will be similar to Crash because a well known series is being celebrated.

But... I thought this year was his 27th anniversary?
---
Check this out! Please?
#9 Posted: 00:22:26 05/12/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03

Oh my bad. Thats what I meant.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#10 Posted: 00:33:40 05/12/2016
I'd really like to see Sonic. I think he could either come with Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Metal Sonic or maybe even Shadow.

Banjo-Kazooie could work, but who would they come with? Grunty, maybe?
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:43:41 05/12/2016 by Chompy-King257
SkylandrPurists Emerald Sparx Gems: 3399
#11 Posted: 00:34:37 05/12/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03

Oh my bad. Thats what I meant.

That would be really cool, considering Crash and Sonic have things in common: both being two animals often mistaken for rodents (Crash is a marsupial, Sonic is an insectivore), both are quite mobile in attacking, both have really obscure color schemes and both have an evil doctor as an archenemy.

Wait, if Eggman would be a Skylander, that would mean that not only would this be his first time with smilie outside the Olympic Games, but Skylanders would now have THREE former evil scientists assisting the Skylanders.
---
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
smiliesmilie
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#12 Posted: 00:41:51 05/12/2016
this year was a missed opportunity to make charizard/pikachu guest stars..
#13 Posted: 00:43:02 05/12/2016
I'd actually be happy to see Eggman make it. That would mean that every series would have a villain playable

Legend of Spyro- Cynder
Skylanders- Kaos
Super Mario- Bowser
Crash Bandicoot- Dr. Neo Cortex
Sonic the Hedgehog- Dr. Eggman.

Although I agree. Having 3 doctors seems a bit much. Although technologies possibilities are near endless. These 3 would be very different not matter what.
#14 Posted: 00:43:05 05/12/2016
Quote: ZapNorris

But isn't Nintendo VERY protective over Pokemon?
---
#15 Posted: 00:44:45 05/12/2016
Well, Sonic is a possibility, since he does have an anniversary celebration game coming out next year. And unlike the other non-Activision property guest stars there wouldn't have to be console exclusivity. I dunno though, I'm not sure if I can really see Sonic characters being Skylanders without sticking out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure if I can see it meshing as well with the series as DK, Bowser, or Crash did. But then again I could be proven wrong.
---
Check this out! Please?
#16 Posted: 00:46:47 05/12/2016

I don't see it happening. Game Freak is very protective of the use of their characters. I mean in Yoshi's wolly world, the Pokemon amiibo don't even give a proper Yoshi alt. Just a shirt.

If they couldn't get in a game like that, I doubt they'd be likely Skylanders. Also, the backstory for the specific Pokemon coming to Skylanders would be odd.
#17 Posted: 00:52:22 05/12/2016
Quote: Chompy-King257
I'd really like to see Sonic. I think he could either come with Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Metal Sonic or maybe even Shadow.

Banjo-Kazooie could work, but who would they come with? Grunty, maybe?

I could actually see that happening (Applying that to my Hero & Villain argument). Though, I'd see them working better in Skylanders 8 (If there is one) than Skylanders 7. I'd see Sonic being first since the huge Sonic celebration is going on and Activision could add them the join on the celebration.

I could also see Metal Sonic or Shadow being the villain of a sonic level. Much like Fake Crash was for Thumpin Wumpa.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:28:09 05/12/2016 by GigaCamo
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#18 Posted: 01:01:25 05/12/2016

Not Nintendo, but Game Freak. With the exception of Super Smash Bros., they give harsh limits of how Nintendo-made games should use the trademark. For example, in Super Mario Maker, there's suits based on Pokémon Amiibo characters, but they're one of the few without unique sound effects/jingles.
---
Bruh
#19 Posted: 01:02:52 05/12/2016

Not Nintendo, but Game Freak. With the exception of Super Smash Bros., they give harsh limits of how Nintendo-made games should use the trademark. For example, in Super Mario Maker, there's suits based on Pokémon Amiibo characters, but they're one of the few without unique sound effects/jingles.

Huh. Thanks for the info.
---
DarkPredator Gold Sparx Gems: 2276
#20 Posted: 01:49:05 05/12/2016

Nooooooooooo. I'd be so salty if this happened. Might make some happy but not me personally.
---
"Still as silent as ever, eh?" - Blue, Pokémon Sun and Moon
#21 Posted: 02:07:08 05/12/2016

Aside from Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. Though those were added in later.
---
Check this out! Please?
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#22 Posted: 02:40:03 05/12/2016
I have been with the discussion of Guest stars in Skylanders and you will always know that Sora is my number 1 choice and it´s a yes and no it´s more no for obvious reasons although with the character featured in World of Final Fantasy, it could open more posiblities to appear in other videogames? No. It would be the only character i would love to see in the game, the lore between the two have a few similiarities.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#23 Posted: 08:23:50 05/12/2016
They will select characters that are popular enough to have a marketing impact, in this sense I could see the following happening:

1) Sonic: Both popular and fit nicely in skylanders world imo. Hopefully they wouldn't limit themselves to Sonic, but also add other characters like tails, knuckles and silver.

2) DC heroes: Ok, at first glance they are not very skylanderish, but they could probably come up with a more friendly childish design, like it happened with marvel heroes in Marvel Super hero squad comic combat. I'm saying DC heroes because they are popular enought o make a big impact and because Marvel ones seem to be owned by everybody except Acti.

3) Nintendo characters: This would be an obvious choice if nintendo wasn't so protective with its characters, which is a pity, as there so many characters tha would fit incredibly good in skylanders (pit, charizard, yoshi, etc)

4) Other less probable ideas: Harry potter, rachet & clank, Sponge bob, other video game stars ( FF characters, drake, Sir Daniel Fortesque, etc), TMTN, minions, etc
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:27:25 05/12/2016 by angelg
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#24 Posted: 15:01:34 05/12/2016
Quote: angelg
They will select characters that are popular enough to have a marketing impact, in this sense I could see the following happening:

1) Sonic: Both popular and fit nicely in skylanders world imo. Hopefully they wouldn't limit themselves to Sonic, but also add other characters like tails, knuckles and silver.

2) DC heroes: Ok, at first glance they are not very skylanderish, but they could probably come up with a more friendly childish design, like it happened with marvel heroes in Marvel Super hero squad comic combat. I'm saying DC heroes because they are popular enought o make a big impact and because Marvel ones seem to be owned by everybody except Acti.

3) Nintendo characters: This would be an obvious choice if nintendo wasn't so protective with its characters, which is a pity, as there so many characters tha would fit incredibly good in skylanders (pit, charizard, yoshi, etc)

4) Other less probable ideas: Harry potter, rachet & clank, Sponge bob, other video game stars ( FF characters, drake, Sir Daniel Fortesque, etc), TMTN, minions, etc

Yeeah, Sonic WOULD be cool, but since LEGO has those rights, it won't happen.
DC won't happen due to the same reasons as sonic.
Like you said, Nintendo is protective, and the thing that probably helped with DK and Bowser is they fact that they double as amiibo.
Those characters seem too old for Skylanders.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
TotalEclipsePro Green Sparx Gems: 469
#25 Posted: 15:03:35 05/12/2016
If there is another Skylander game and if they have guest stars, my guess is Sonic & Eggman. If it were any other series I would guess something else believing Sonic & Eggman would be too obvious, but I doubt Acti cares about being surprising. Although it would be surprising enough if there even is another game. If anyone is wondering who I personally would like as a guest, here they are.

Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda) - Dark Element.
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) - Dark or Magic Element. (More likely Magic)
White Mage (Final Fantasy) - Light or Magic Element. (If both W. and B. Mages are in they would be Light and Dark)
Chocobo (Final Fantasy) - Life Element. (This is the most likely FF character, plus it would continue the recent trend of Life Element guests)
Summoner (Final Fantasy) - Magic Element. (I like FF's Eidolons.)

The FF characters are actually more likely than one might think considering the remake for FFVII coming out. The Life Element Chocobo is my guess. And maybe a Magic Element Black Mage.
---
Galactic. Rocket. Aqua. Magma. Plasma. Skull.

Team Flare never happened!
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#26 Posted: 15:28:30 05/12/2016
i have some ideas, ont sure if you know some of those games but here we go:

Amaterasu (okami) - fire
klonoa (klonoa) - air
lilac (freedom planet) - water
raz (psychonauts) - magic
sly cooper (sly cooper) - dark
rayman (rayman) - life
sora (kingdom hearts) - light
ratchet (ratchet and clank) - tech
neku (the world ends with you) - undead
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#27 Posted: 16:09:40 05/12/2016
All right, guess I'll post the ones that are most likely, in my opinion of course:

1. Classic Spyro Characters: Characters like Hunter, Ripto, Gnasty Gnorc, etc. Activision does own the Spyro IP more than just Spyro himself. And considering we already have Legends characters (Cynder and Malefor) and Sparx, this wouldn't be much of a stretch. Plus it could be a way to win over some of Spyro's older fans... or give them an excuse to hate it even more. The latter being more likely.

2. Overwatch: Activision does have some access to the property through Blizzard, who does seem to want to keep the game alive for as long as possible. There's even rumors of an Overwatch show being made in similar vein to Academy, so I could see Overwatch guest stars being used to promote it.

3. More Nintendo exclusives: This one I can't see happening as much due to Superchargers not doing so well despite having them. That and Nintendo is pretty protective of most of their IPs. I would like to see some of their ideas come to light though, like with Peach or Kirby.
---
Check this out! Please?
Kat-Kun Green Sparx Gems: 415
#28 Posted: 18:00:41 08/12/2016
I could easily see Vivi (Final Fantasy) as a Dark Elemental guest character, and if they bring back Minis, they could make a mini of him with his World of Final Fantasy design.
His design just fits so well with the Skylanders universe...
---
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the waaaaaay!
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:04:24 08/12/2016 by Kat-Kun
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me