darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > If Skylanders ends, will you keep buying Activision games frequently?
Page 1 of 1
If Skylanders ends, will you keep buying Activision games frequently?
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx [online] Gems: 10038
#1 Posted: 15:17:02 29/11/2016 | Topic Creator
The fire is already crackling, might as well throw in more wood. If this belongs in Toys and Merch, feel free to move.

You've seen it these last few years. Acti's hilariously stupid practices with Skylanders' development and release schedule. Depressingly stupid attempts to put good COD remakes bundled with a game no one wants and kill sales in the process. Platinum Games, THE Platinum Games, having their worst games with them as the higher ups.

So, should this be the last game, are you ever going to invest so much in their franchises again? I don't mean single things like the Crash remasters or Blizzard stuff, I mean an actual Acti franchise.

Honestly? If this goes, last straw for me. Their poor practices are known even to some more infrequent gamers. They're everything wrong with the game industry that Konami and P2W MMOs don't cover. Nintendo and friends might not be saints either(Metroid says hi), but the big difference for sure, is that they care. Even if sparingly, they eventually notice mistakes, try to amend them, listen a bit to fans. Acti only takes and never gives, and if it doesn't go their way, they just discard whatever isn't selling tons and move on to the next thing to milk. I think they're past the point of ever changing, until it actually harms them.

And since I didn't clarify at first, I buy Skylanders because I support the devs and their work- they've all proven to be awesome. But if even that isn't enough to save the franchise, then I can't help them.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:28:11 29/11/2016 by Bifrost
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#2 Posted: 15:23:13 29/11/2016
if this will be skylanders end, then i blame activision for this. dont want to buy thier games, watch thier games gameplays, i dont anything from the companey that took the game that made me happy and ruiend it!.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#3 Posted: 15:25:19 29/11/2016
i already stopped buying any games from ubisoft and ea. so if activision drop skylanders i am finished with activision for good too. what other games to they make beside cod,destiny and skylanders???...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GhostRoaster617 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3963
#4 Posted: 15:41:53 29/11/2016
I agree with all of you. Before Skylanders came into my life, I was basically going to become a real villain, but the franchise gave me faith back in the world of creativity and helped me find a new happy place in my life. After this, I don't know what will happen to me after all this is over. Especially since I have a very bad and unsettling track record of loving franchises and they die literally after I like them.
---
Grave Clobber is back to bury you!
Imaginators smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie Villains smiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmiliesmilie
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#5 Posted: 15:46:36 29/11/2016
I'll buy the Crash games and nothing else. I'm not gonna boycott Acti for cancelling a failing series. As much as I love Skylanders, Lightseekers, Lego Dimensions and assorted other toys will still be in my life.

I wasn't even that big a fan of Activision before Skylanders.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#6 Posted: 15:50:03 29/11/2016
I buy Skylanders to support the work of Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions, not cruddy ol' Activision. All they do is distribute it and tell the devs to add more paywalls.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3281
#7 Posted: 15:59:36 29/11/2016
Activision publish a lot of good games. Ending a franchise wouldn't stop me.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#8 Posted: 16:16:27 29/11/2016
Only Crash and maaaaaybe Spyro, and if it's good. That's it really. Single games are not what you're asking.
---
Bruh
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#9 Posted: 16:25:43 29/11/2016
Depends on the game, honestly. Skylanders is really the only Activision series I've supported (my brother has supported CoD though). But even if Skylanders does get canned I'm not going to boycott something just because it's published by them. If Nintendo stopped making Kirby games I wouldn't stop buying their products. But with that said I don't know if any other game published by them can peak my interest the way Skylanders did.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:28:23 29/11/2016 by AdamGregory03
King-Pen Krazy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1907
#10 Posted: 16:27:40 29/11/2016
Probably not
---
Rise and Shine Ursine
#11 Posted: 16:29:23 29/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: wideawakewesley
Activision publish a lot of good games. Ending a franchise wouldn't stop me.

As I said in the OP, that's not the only franchise, and imho, far from the last they'll pull poor practices on until it's unsustainable.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#12 Posted: 16:29:50 29/11/2016
I just finished looking at all the games they ever published and I have to say that except a couple exceptions I've never bought their major series.

So I guess things wouldn't change much.
Besides I would still buy the games I like, regardless of the publisher: Activision is probably one of the worst things which afflicts the modern gaming industry but its developers have nothing to do about that (except maybe find a better company) and still deserve respect for their passion and effort.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#13 Posted: 16:42:38 29/11/2016
If Activision is publishing a game I want, then I'll still buy it.

Boycotting their company because they ran a franchise into the ground isn't going to stop them from running another franchise into the ground - it's just going to deny me a game I want to play.

With that said, I haven't bought much Activision that wasn't Skylanders of late. Granted, I've thrown so much cash into the Skylanders pit, my gaming purchases have been a bit thin over the past few years... ;)
#14 Posted: 16:49:49 29/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Well, for me it's less a boycott and more of a "don't want to suffer again" situation. If they pull this every time, every new cool franchise has the potential to meet the same, if not worse, fate.

...says the banjo-kazooie, metroid and Thundercats 2011 fan... e_e'

Though I wish I could run Lightseekers, they might do this much better being sorta-indie and with higher quality/higher risk products.
---
#15 Posted: 17:54:59 29/11/2016
How are you 'suffering' though?

It's like, there are TV series that I really enjoy. Breaking Bad. Sarah Connor Chronicles. Firefly. 24. Futurama. King of the Hill.

Do I stop watching all TV because I might start to like a series that gets cancelled? That's insanity.

Everything ends. Everything dies. You enjoy it while it's there, then you move on with your life once it's gone.
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#16 Posted: 17:59:27 29/11/2016
I don't buy a lot of Activision games, but it is quite dumb to "boycott" them for cancelling games that aren't doing too hot - that is just good business. Activision focuses on franchises they can pump out yearly iterations, which other than Skylanders I do not tend to want to play - but that has nothing to do with the status of Skylanders.
#17 Posted: 18:05:05 29/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: UncleBob
How are you 'suffering' though?

It's like, there are TV series that I really enjoy. Breaking Bad. Sarah Connor Chronicles. Firefly. 24. Futurama. King of the Hill.

Do I stop watching all TV because I might start to like a series that gets cancelled? That's insanity.

Everything ends. Everything dies. You enjoy it while it's there, then you move on with your life once it's gone.

I won't stop playing videogames tho. But I also don't want to join a fandom with the constant dread that the plug will be pulled as soon as it starts performing less than great; I don't have that much of a fear with most other franchises/companies I follow.
---
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#18 Posted: 18:10:51 29/11/2016
They publish Destiny. They've got me for years to come with that alone.
McMurderpaws Yellow Sparx Gems: 1330
#19 Posted: 18:13:25 29/11/2016
I buy the games that interest me regardless of who publishes them.

And for the most part, I rarely play AAA published titles to begin with, because they rarely interest me. I haven't played a Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare 2, which a friend brought over to play. Excluding any of the Skylanders games, the last game I bought that was published by Activision was Transformers: Devastation (developed by the same studio that did Bayonetta!), and before that was Deadpool... and nothing prior to that which is still on their website.
#20 Posted: 18:20:41 29/11/2016
Quote:
I won't stop playing videogames tho. But I also don't want to join a fandom with the constant dread that the plug will be pulled as soon as it starts performing less than great; I don't have that much of a fear with most other franchises/companies I follow.

Uhh... virtually every franchise you follow is one disastrous release away from bankruptcy. The exceptions would be big guns like Nintendo and Disney, but even then, we haven't really gotten another Metroid game since Other M (which was a *great* game).

Look, two of my favorite DS games are Hotel Dusk and Last Window. LW didn't even get a release in the US because Cinq went under before it was prepped for a US release. And even though the franchise is over, dead, buried, with virtually no chance of ever being revived - I'd still recommend every single DS and 3DS owner play the games (and Trace Memory/Another Code. Skip Another Code: R, it wasn't that great).
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#21 Posted: 18:44:11 29/11/2016
Skylanders, Crash and Spyro are the only related things I'm interested in from them. I've never been interested in their other games at all, so they won't be getting much from me if it happens.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
TotalEclipsePro Green Sparx Gems: 469
#22 Posted: 19:36:21 29/11/2016
Nope. I have Nintendo, and looking at the Switch, I think they got me covered for a few years. Although if I had a PS4 I probably would get the Crash remakes.
---
Galactic. Rocket. Aqua. Magma. Plasma. Skull.

Team Flare never happened!
MA-Josh Blue Sparx Gems: 587
#23 Posted: 21:34:02 29/11/2016
They're pretty much the only Activision games I buy since COD doesn't interest me and their licensed games are rarely good
---
smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie smilie
Josh from Mon Amiibo
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#24 Posted: 21:40:24 29/11/2016
I have no clue what games Activision makes aside from Call of Duty (which I'm not at all interested in), Guitar Hero (I've a few of those games) and of course Skylanders. Often my friends recommends new games to me to play as I have no clue what's good that's coming out if it's an entirely new series. I tend to stick to my franchises and I get excited about a new sequel but I'm clueless about an entirely new franchise. So it's very possible that Activision doesn't currently make any games that I would like.
---
Stay Cool!
Takadox360 Gold Sparx Gems: 2852
#25 Posted: 22:20:13 29/11/2016
I honestly don't care about which company makes what games.

If I like a game I buy it. The company doesn't really matter to me.
---
i am trash
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#26 Posted: 23:59:57 29/11/2016
If they make something interesting, like the Crash remakes, but that won't be a frequent occurrence, so no to the main question of the topic.

Skylanders is the only major franchise of theirs that I've actually supported. Due to not liking military shooters, CoD is the least interesting franchise they have on offer. I hear good things about Destiny, but it never really grabbed my attention either.

But more on the topic of Skylanders, I most likely will not buy anything from Activision with physical peripherals, due to the way both Guitar Hero and Skylanders were treated.
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:03:29 30/11/2016 by Nightmoon
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#27 Posted: 00:38:12 30/11/2016
Changes nothing, I'll still buy Destiny and CoD games if they are good.

Infinite Warfare is good btw. Not spectacular, but good. They've put some impressive effort into the campaign. Story, graphics, gameplay, level design, etc. everything is quality. If you are a fan of space sci-fi and military, the campaign is near perfect. Hop off the hate bandwagon please.
---
bye
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#28 Posted: 06:40:38 30/11/2016
They make Destiny? I found that game in the Gamestop trash a few months ago (they randomly toss out random games for no reason at all). I should give it a try someday. LOL
---
Stay Cool!
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#29 Posted: 07:34:50 30/11/2016
Activision publishes the game but it is developped by Bungie.
---
bye
sky-dragon Emerald Sparx Gems: 3206
#30 Posted: 07:51:03 30/11/2016
There getting second game next year in sep or October sorry for off topic
---
"ryuujin no ken wo kurae!"
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#31 Posted: 11:34:58 30/11/2016
I buy games I like regardless of the publisher.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#32 Posted: 16:14:42 30/11/2016
I should clarify that I won't buy their franchises, but not out of hate (I mean, I despise them, but I buy the games if they are good). I just don't have interest in any of their franchises (aside from Overwatch, if it counts).

Quote: Bifrost

I personally don't want to play games because of the fandom, but it's just me. It's for the same reason I don't stop liking something if the fandom is bad.
---
Bruh
#33 Posted: 16:33:34 30/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Overwatch is the Blizzard side of things, and considering how the treatment is the polar opposite, it's far from what I'm talking about.

I don't join fandoms for a looot of big games, but I do get attached sometimes(eg, Skullgirls until people ran out of stuff to say while Mobile, 2 and Indivisible aren't around).
---
Nelomet Emerald Sparx Gems: 3069
#34 Posted: 20:23:23 30/11/2016
My dedication lies with Skylanders, if it ends, that's it for me, basically.
---
Fear not the dark, my friend, and let the feast begin.
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#35 Posted: 20:31:02 30/11/2016
Skylanders is my main Activision franchise, when it inevitably ends (I don't believe its ending anytime soon), that's probably gonna be it unless I see a game I want, which isn't common, because Activision mainly publishes COD (not allowed to play), Sports games like Madden or Fifa (no interest in, Marvel games (don't care that much for) and Transformers games. (I'll stick with my Fall Of Cybertron, thank you)

So, unless I see something that interests me (I don't count Blizzard titles because that's not as much activision as it is blizzard), I'm not buying any Acti games.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#36 Posted: 21:55:10 30/11/2016
Quote: TrapGiant
because Activision mainly publishes COD (not allowed to play), Sports games like Madden or Fifa (no interest in, Marvel games (don't care that much for)

Madden and FIFA are published by EA.
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#37 Posted: 21:55:28 01/12/2016
Quote: UncleBob
Quote: TrapGiant
because Activision mainly publishes COD (not allowed to play), Sports games like Madden or Fifa (no interest in, Marvel games (don't care that much for)

Madden and FIFA are published by EA.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, don't care for them either, IMO, EA is just as bad as acti.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#38 Posted: 22:02:58 01/12/2016 | Topic Creator
I'd saaay worse, but my only reference is years ago with their "great" practice of taking over dev teams and running away with the IPs, and some anecdotes about how the devs are treated. Acti at least hasn't had any known cases since they spied on the old COD devs, and that blew up on their faces pretty quick.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me