darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 18 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
Bitmap Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#851 Posted: 21:31:06 08/01/2017
Wait are you saying Crash landing was leaked before the show was up on Netflix??? And you didn't even tell the Crash fans?
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#852 Posted: 21:33:18 08/01/2017
It would mean the cost of everything plus animation is wasted. Because the animation is currently happening for all episodes and TeamTO is currently working on it. You're not making a whole lot of sense anymore.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#853 Posted: 21:33:47 08/01/2017
I think Uncle Bob has officially jumped the Gill.

Also, I don't think you're understanding this fully. Yes, only one episode is fully animated right now, but that doesn't mean that most of the episodes aren't being animated or storyboarded right now. Like Bifrost said, the Episodes are all being worked on at separate stages all at once. A lot of animation still needs to be done, yes, but I really don't think pulling it at this late in the game is wise
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#854 Posted: 21:36:16 08/01/2017
Quote: Bitmap
Wait are you saying Crash landing was leaked before the show was up on Netflix??? And you didn't even tell the Crash fans?

No, only parts of Beard Science, Anger Mismanagement and a part of Skylanders Unite! were leaked on vimeo as an example of the person's work on the series.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:36:50 08/01/2017 by Aura24
#855 Posted: 21:37:30 08/01/2017

No, it wasn't leaked along with the rest. After the show came out we got a WIP video of it. Does give some insight as the description says the quota is 5 seconds per day, and since they're all from the same episode, other animators must work on other episodes at the same time.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:38:53 08/01/2017 by Bifrost
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#856 Posted: 22:14:18 08/01/2017
Quote: TheToyNerd
I think Uncle Bob has officially jumped the Gill.

Also, I don't think you're understanding this fully. Yes, only one episode is fully animated right now, but that doesn't mean that most of the episodes aren't being animated or storyboarded right now. Like Bifrost said, the Episodes are all being worked on at separate stages all at once. A lot of animation still needs to be done, yes, but I really don't think pulling it at this late in the game is wise

It's not unheardof, is my point. Folks are acting as if it's some big thing... King of the Hill, a high-rated animated show that likely cost more to produce than Skylanders by the time it hit Season 13 was cancelled with four wholly completed episodes unaired (later added to syndication packages, Netflix, and the releases of the DVDs).

Season 2 is no where near this point. Folks are like 'They wouldn't throw away an entire season!" It's not an entire season. Not even close. And when you consider, as I speculated before, Activision isn't trying to get into Childern's Television, they probably saw the show as a way to advertise their toys and games (I mean, let's be real, that's what a *lot* of childern's shows are now and always have been - and Season One wasn't shy about shoehorning the product placement). If they really are cancelling the games, it makes *zero* sense for them to continue the show.

"But they'll lose all that production money!"

Sure.

But you're ignoring the fact that Season Two is not finished - or anywhere near completion.

Think of it this way - you're going to put in an in-ground pool. You've bought some of the supplies, paid to have the land scoped, permits approved, a big hole dug... you're half-way there. You've spent probably more than half of the costs of installation.

Then, you get in a car wreck and you're brain dead in a coma.

The contractors are all 'Well, he's already paid out half the costs of the pool - surely he'll want us to finish it. We'll just continue to spend his money until the pool is finished, even if he'll never use it."

Makes zero sense, right?

It's potentially the same thing here. Sure, Activision has spent half the costs associated with creating the series, but if the game is dead, they probably don't care - at all - about the series. Ratings, reviews, whatever. They don't care about it. There's *zero* reason for them to *continue* sinking even one more dollar into the creation of something they don't care about.

What it sounds as if it may come down to is :

How much does it cost to break existing contracts/agreements and terminate further production of the series vs. how much will it cost to honor current contracts and agreements.

Whichever one of those options cost them less monies, that's the option they'll go for (again, assuming they are wanting to end production).

Now, if Netflix or some other company offers Activision big sacks of money and says 'Hey, we'd like to license the series for the next five years.", then that'd be your best bet to keep the series alive.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5016
#857 Posted: 23:08:13 08/01/2017
i agree with unclebob on this one.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bitmap Yellow Sparx Gems: 1818
#858 Posted: 00:36:06 09/01/2017
Quote: Bifrost

No, it wasn't leaked along with the rest. After the show came out we got a WIP video of it. Does give some insight as the description says the quota is 5 seconds per day, and since they're all from the same episode, other animators must work on other episodes at the same time.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#859 Posted: 01:24:33 09/01/2017
If this really is the end, I will make a topic for us to post our final thoughts on the series and say goodbye to the franchise.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#860 Posted: 02:07:09 09/01/2017
i'm still staying on these forums.
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#861 Posted: 02:15:06 09/01/2017
Quote: ZapNorris

Yep. I'll just post memes on S&N, and I might write Skylander fan fictions, as well.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#862 Posted: 02:23:41 09/01/2017
Quote: Chompy-King257
If this really is the end, I will make a topic for us to post our final thoughts on the series and say goodbye to the franchise.

Be quick as the forum will explode when this happens and at least three people will make topics about it before they all get merged into one thread. smilie

Actually I wonder....will there be a new spot for general Skylanders talk? It's not game specific anymore and not about toys and merchandise. Some people really care about proper forum locations and all that. Obviously we cannot keep putting this into Imaginators.

Honestly I'm not going anywhere after the end and I'll still waffle on randomly about anything Skylanders related until I'm kicked off the site...even if it becomes a ghost town with only Aura and BiFrost and a few others around. smilie
---
Stay Cool!
Darkling183 Green Sparx Gems: 340
#863 Posted: 02:38:03 09/01/2017
Quote: fairyland
Actually I wonder....will there be a new spot for general Skylanders talk? It's not game specific anymore and not about toys and merchandise. Some people really care about proper forum locations and all that. Obviously we cannot keep putting this into Imaginators.

Looks like there already is one - for general Spyro and Skylanders discussion.
#864 Posted: 02:55:15 09/01/2017

Yep. I'll just post memes on S&N, and I might write Skylander fan fictions, as well.

yep. Where else am i gonna cram my memes and ships?
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#865 Posted: 03:02:14 09/01/2017

yep. Where else am i gonna cram my memes and ships?

No where, because you're stopping them right now, young man.

[User Posted Image]
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
FaboulousFab Yellow Sparx Gems: 1247
#866 Posted: 07:13:44 09/01/2017
This is the end my friends, Acti-Kaos finally destoyed the skylands. The arch-evil won, go play destiny fools.
Bring out your skylanders!!... Bring out your skylanders!!

[User Posted Image]
---
Marge: But I thought broccoli was...
Dr. Hibbert: Oh yes. One of the deadliest plants on earth. It tries to warn you itself with its terrible taste.
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#867 Posted: 07:35:08 09/01/2017
so no season 2 for academy? They wouldn't even give us that after murdering or franchise? Activision you useless greedy sons of *****es!!!!!!!!!!
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#868 Posted: 07:36:29 09/01/2017
Quote: omer1698
so no season 2 for academy? They wouldn't even give us that after murdering or franchise? Activision you useless greedy sons of *****es!!!!!!!!!!

Omer, the series cancellation isn't even confirmed. You are jumping into conclusions again.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
spot Yellow Sparx Gems: 1528
#869 Posted: 09:20:06 09/01/2017
UncleBob has made a great point this time though. People say that Activision will blow the money they've already spent on season 2 of Academy but if they don't do anymore games every extra cent they spend on the shows now is a bigger waste. They won't have anything to sell off the back of the show.
#870 Posted: 09:42:59 09/01/2017
Skylanders isn't in a vacuum though. They can still make money with the show with no game. Heck, make some SA only merch like plushies if you need an add-on so much, even if so many shows never need any.
---
#871 Posted: 10:25:59 09/01/2017
They can't sell their merchandise now in the back of the first season so it wouldn't make sense to produce more merchandise would it?
#872 Posted: 10:40:00 09/01/2017
They can, just make it SA focused - not toys, but plushies, stickers, minor stuff. Figures don't sell if peoplr don't buy the games.
---
#873 Posted: 10:59:56 09/01/2017
Don't think the orginal Skylander plushies sold well. Sorry but I can't see it working.
#874 Posted: 15:24:24 09/01/2017
Quote: Bifrost
Skylanders isn't in a vacuum though. They can still make money with the show with no game. Heck, make some SA only merch like plushies if you need an add-on so much, even if so many shows never need any.

Other shows may not have merch, but as far as Activision is concerned, Skylanders is all about selling you stuff. It has been since the beginning.

The various non-game toys and merch that was produced was all licensed stuff - I don't get the impression that Activision wants to get into the market of making stuffies or party invitations. And, at this point, it seems pretty clear no one is really interested in licensing the Skylanders brand. We've seen it where they cancelled the book series, the comics, the MEGA Blocks line... heck, we didn't even get a strategy guide this year. Have we had *any* new third-party licensed merch for Imaginators?
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#875 Posted: 16:46:39 09/01/2017
If Academy continues, it will be because Netflix wants it to go on, possibly even acquiring more controlling rights in the franchise ongoing from Activision. Activision has no reason to continue throwing money behind the franchise unless Netflix is making it worth their while.
#876 Posted: 16:58:37 09/01/2017
Quote: defpally
If Academy continues, it will be because Netflix wants it to go on, possibly even acquiring more controlling rights in the franchise ongoing from Activision. Activision has no reason to continue throwing money behind the franchise unless Netflix is making it worth their while.

well according to nattflix charts acadmey is one of thier best shows...
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#877 Posted: 17:23:02 09/01/2017
Netflix owning most of what's left of the active Skylanders IP would be a weeeeird prospect but if Skylanders Academy really is being the most sucessful kids' show lately, it's no longer such a crazy idea.
---
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#878 Posted: 18:01:31 09/01/2017
What I'm hoping for is that Activision decides "Eh screw it, might as well let 'em finish it" and then it turns out Season 2 is way more successful than Season 1, which then gives them the idea to continue the IP through the show.

That might be wishful thinking at this point but that's all I got left.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#879 Posted: 19:07:16 09/01/2017
I am curious, is there a source for these claims about Skylanders Academy being one of the top Netflix shows? I didn't think Netflix released their viewing data?
#880 Posted: 19:12:15 09/01/2017
Posted it a few pages ago, can't be bothered to do it again.
---
#881 Posted: 19:19:37 09/01/2017
Quote: UncleBob
I am curious, is there a source for these claims about Skylanders Academy being one of the top Netflix shows? I didn't think Netflix released their viewing data?

Here is the link, if memory serves:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/20...landers-academy
---
#882 Posted: 19:20:43 09/01/2017
Usually netflix will announce if a show is being canned (The only time the didn't was in the case of Marco Polo which was ended abruptly due to bad ratings) so if academy is gonna be cancelled, then we'll know.
#883 Posted: 19:36:01 09/01/2017
Quote: Aura24

Here is the link, if memory serves:

http://www.thedrum.com/news/20...landers-academy

Yeah, just found it...

I'm not sure what to make of this source. First, there's no information w/r/t where they get this information. Second, the information makes zero sense. What are those percentages? 13% of kids watched Skylanders? The chart makes up 100%, so no kids watched anything else? What about kids that watched multiple shows? Without data, that '13%' is meaningless. Even *if* we have meaning behind it... it doesn't seem all that great. I'm not an expert on all the shows listed, but none of the other shows appear to be Netflix exclusives. So, in what was essentially the debut month for the show, it *barely* edged out MLP - a show that is shown on cable 12 times a day and is (illegally) free to watch all over the internet. And probably costs Netflix no where near as much, since they don't pay to have it produced.

If that is the only source for Skylanders' success on Netflix.... I wouldn't be banking on it.

Has Netflix released any PRs about it? They usually do that when they have a huge hit on their hands...
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#884 Posted: 19:57:24 09/01/2017
Well it might be worthwhile if Netflix can get the IP cheap for fire sale prices. Netflix would probably be hyping it more if it were doing THAT well, I really only see references for it from Skylander's page - Netflix doesn't really mention it anymore - but they don't spend much advertising time on many kids shows (Voltron, etc.). Only they know if the numbers make it worthwhile.
#885 Posted: 20:05:03 09/01/2017
Quote: defpally
Well it might be worthwhile if Netflix can get the IP cheap for fire sale prices. Netflix would probably be hyping it more if it were doing THAT well, I really only see references for it from Skylander's page - Netflix doesn't really mention it anymore - but they don't spend much advertising time on many kids shows (Voltron, etc.). Only they know if the numbers make it worthwhile.

Yeah. Again, assuming the previously posted information is accurate (which is a pretty big assumption at this point), essentially, I'd imagine it coming down to Activision saying 'Hey, we don't want to pay to make more Skylanders episodes. Here's the money we owe you per our contract to get out of it.', and Netflix responding with 'Hold up there, partner... how's about you keep that sack of cash and we'll take over further production costs and just call it even-like?'

Activision gets out of further costs relating to the development of the series and Netflix gets it for cheap. Also, Netflix talks like a cowboy in a bad western flick.
AmbushFan Blue Sparx Gems: 919
#886 Posted: 20:11:22 09/01/2017
Quote: Crash10
OH

CALL ACTIVISION

WE HAVE TO DO GILL GRUNTS

Skylanders 6 but every Skylander is replaced with Gill Grunt.
---
No fate. Only the power of will.
wideawakewesley Emerald Sparx Gems: 3281
#887 Posted: 22:04:16 09/01/2017
If anyone needed confirmation that a game can be cancelled far along it's development path, see the Scalebound announcement from Microsoft today.
---
Contributor to Family Gamer TV - http://www.familygamer.tv/
Follow me on twitter - http://www.twitter.com/wideawakewesley
#888 Posted: 22:12:36 09/01/2017
That one is from multiple issues though, it's not black and white. Not meeting deadlines, people generally not caring about the game even before it's out, Kamiya apparently having to treat some issues and causing even more delays.
---
Star Dragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 5323
#889 Posted: 01:43:15 10/01/2017
The possibility that Skylanders is cancelled. And now I've just heard Scalebound is cancelled. Well that's it,
[User Posted Image]
If this is the end I'll probably slowly get rid of my collection like I did with Disney Infinity. I will still keep the Dragon Skylanders and a few of my favourites though.
---
What! Marco sent you here? I've got a restraining order against him! - Rapunzel, Spyro 3
LordElohim Yellow Sparx Gems: 1811
#890 Posted: 03:09:29 10/01/2017 | Topic Creator
Quote: wideawakewesley
If anyone needed confirmation that a game can be cancelled far along it's development path, see the Scalebound announcement from Microsoft today.

That isn't news I wanted to wake up to. That was my second most anticipated game of 2017, behind Crackdown 3. I will now blame Activision and Skylanders for the loss of Scalebound.
---
Hail Sithis
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#891 Posted: 04:48:22 10/01/2017
Skylanders has dragons. Scalebound has dragons. Pattern.
---
bye
#892 Posted: 05:00:07 10/01/2017
Quote: newkill

Incidentally, Scalebound doesn't have Gill Grunt either. :D
#893 Posted: 06:24:01 10/01/2017
scalebound is cancelled?! Why!? This could have been a hit i just know it. smilie
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
darkrai848 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3096
#894 Posted: 06:24:35 10/01/2017
Quote: newkill

Incidentally, Scalebound doesn't have Gill Grunt either. smilie

If only skylanders imaginators had had legendary and lightcore Gill Grunt, then we might still have a strong selling series...
---
If you like toys to life, you might be interested in Lightseekers!
Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playfusion/lightseekers/description
#895 Posted: 07:17:01 10/01/2017
first skylanders, now scaleboud, whats next kingdom hearts 3? (please not KH3)
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#896 Posted: 07:20:49 10/01/2017

Again Skylanders isn't officially confirmed to be cancelled, omer, until Acti gives an official say later on.

So, we'll have to endure the "doomed" franchise repeats, fan speculations, until the big boys finally say something.
---
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 07:43:43 10/01/2017 by Aura24
#897 Posted: 07:47:24 10/01/2017
Quote: Aura24

Again Skylanders isn't officially confirmed to be cancelled, omer, until Acti gives an official say later on.

So, we'll have to endure the "doomed" franchise repeats, fan speculations, until the big boys finally say something.

ok fine skylanders is still unconfirmed, but the fact that scalebound is cancelled still sucks and i hope it will not happen to more video games that will come out in 2017.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#898 Posted: 07:57:46 10/01/2017
And we know how good and reliable our Activision PR has been with Skylanders news releases. X3
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 08:06:09 10/01/2017 by Aura24
EmperorKaos Emerald Sparx Gems: 4399
#899 Posted: 09:44:37 10/01/2017
they can't just say they cancel the series this early, if that happen they would lose sales

we have to wait a bit longer to know that
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:45:27 10/01/2017 by EmperorKaos
First | Previous | Page 18 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me