darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
First | Previous | Page 13 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27 28 29
Allegedly, Skylanders has been canceled... [Rumors]
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#601 Posted: 19:54:17 05/01/2017
Quote: TrapGiant
Quote: ZapNorris
Zap, how well do the games do in Spain anyways?

i don't know, but only 10k copies sold for a AAA title anywhere is bad news.

Acti got up from superchargers and went on... Whats to stop them from making 7?

thats activision, whatever there reason are they are probobly dumb and are not Justified killing the Franchise.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#602 Posted: 19:58:23 05/01/2017
[User Posted Image]

me right now
LiamR Red Sparx Gems: 85
#603 Posted: 20:01:45 05/01/2017
Liam, why do you think TFB is shutting down? Their HQ is on a weird *** street, it could just be a remodel, or they could be moving.

It's also possible that no one has shown up at TFB HQ, because there is no work to be done. Skylanders is TFB's main project.

Also, if the Chuck E Cheese contest is legit, then why would they invest money in that if Skylanders is ending? I'm actually not sure where that would be, TFB HQ, or Activision HQ.

And, since Academy is the best kids show on netflix atm, (that could be me causing that, hehe) why would they just drop everything and run?

Let's break this down.

1) Because I have people at Activision telling me it is. I'm not the only writer who does either.

2) They probably scheduled this contest ages ago; well before Imaginators underperformed and merch sales dipped. Their employees only not long ago found out about what's happening at TFB. I doubt Chuck E Cheese is up to speed and if they are, Activision has a lot of wiggle room in those terms and conditions. It's also worth noting that 'Skylanders Studio' is not specified. We only assume they mean TFB.

3) Because they're done investing in the IP. Just look at what they did with Guitar Hero and everything that was connected to it like the MMO they were working on. The similarities are startling.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#604 Posted: 20:11:07 05/01/2017
It's specified as Toys For Bob in the terms and conditions. Still, if they shut that down, it's five kids winning literally nothing, if Acti is trying to distance not even the 3D figures will get delivered by then.

Well GH was also a case where they had all the opportunities to save it and just take it easy with releases, but just went for the stupid choice and now the IP won't get back up in the next decade if ever. We mentioned this *every* year ever since Giants hoping it wouldn't be the same case :c Skylanders also could've just gone back up no biggie if they had bigger breaks between games, since people could then afford the thousand dollars in figures instead of having to cut down more and more to have fun without breaking the bank.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:13:22 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3511
#605 Posted: 20:51:47 05/01/2017
Quote: LiamR
Liam, why do you think TFB is shutting down? Their HQ is on a weird *** street, it could just be a remodel, or they could be moving.

It's also possible that no one has shown up at TFB HQ, because there is no work to be done. Skylanders is TFB's main project.

Also, if the Chuck E Cheese contest is legit, then why would they invest money in that if Skylanders is ending? I'm actually not sure where that would be, TFB HQ, or Activision HQ.

And, since Academy is the best kids show on netflix atm, (that could be me causing that, hehe) why would they just drop everything and run?

Let's break this down.

1) Because I have people at Activision telling me it is. I'm not the only writer who does either.

2) They probably scheduled this contest ages ago; well before Imaginators underperformed and merch sales dipped. Their employees only not long ago found out about what's happening at TFB. I doubt Chuck E Cheese is up to speed and if they are, Activision has a lot of wiggle room in those terms and conditions. It's also worth noting that 'Skylanders Studio' is not specified. We only assume they mean TFB.

3) Because they're done investing in the IP. Just look at what they did with Guitar Hero and everything that was connected to it like the MMO they were working on. The similarities are startling.

Now that you've come and elaborated on where you got your information, it sounds a lot more credible... I'm glad you clarify here that nothing is confirmed; in your video you just made it sound more like you were making assumptions and pushing them as true facts. Glad to see you have an inside source. I hope Toys for Bob makes it somehow, even if they form a new company out of it like Playtonic did with Rare. I feel pretty bad for them too; the higher-ups at Activision must have treated them like dirt smilie
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#606 Posted: 20:59:41 05/01/2017
Food for thought: Activision probably doesn't care a bit about the Netflix show. They're not trying to establish themselves as providers of childern's video entertainment. They probably see (/saw) the show as advertising for the games and absolutely nothing more.

If Activision was spending the money just to advertise a product they aren't selling, it makes sense for them to want to stop supporting it.
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#607 Posted: 21:29:35 05/01/2017
Quote: UncleBob
Food for thought: Activision probably doesn't care a bit about the Netflix show. They're not trying to establish themselves as providers of childern's video entertainment. They probably see (/saw) the show as advertising for the games and absolutely nothing more.

If Activision was spending the money just to advertise a product they aren't selling, it makes sense for them to want to stop supporting it.

I mean, I kinda get it... but don't cancel Skylanders Academy this early in its life cycle. The show was just hitting its stride. It's CLEARLY doing well (for a kid's show at least) so just merchandise off of that!
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#608 Posted: 21:30:47 05/01/2017
I can probably see them continuing Skylanders Academy S2, but with no game this year. Any ideas for possible merchandise?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#609 Posted: 21:35:15 05/01/2017

Let's break this down.

Ah, OK. TFB doesn't have a leg to stand on in this case, if Acti says so, it's game over for them.

But if TFB goes, there will be five disappointed kids, and that will be bad business for Acti.

Eric Rogers said there will be a new season of Academy regardless of a new game.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#610 Posted: 21:35:16 05/01/2017
People suggested Bad Breath figures since that's the only major Skylander that's not in the games, or plushies.

But ugh worst case scenario we're not even allowed to have a last hurrah. Eric promised a ton for S2 and we know a lot that's waiting for us there, from exploring Kaossandra's plot and Cynder.
---
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8257
#611 Posted: 21:35:37 05/01/2017
Quote: Aura24
I can probably see them continuing Skylanders Academy S2, but with no game this year. Any ideas for possible merchandise?

Toys would be cool. Maybe a game too. Perhaps have the toys compatible with the game?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#612 Posted: 21:37:15 05/01/2017
I'm hoping if they do decide to just let Season 2 air, they'll see there is still some value left in the series.

Probably not though because this is Activision.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
#613 Posted: 21:48:18 05/01/2017
Personally, I imagine they won't can the Academy show immediately. I suspect the second season will be allowed through and that'll be it due to the contract they have with Netflix. It would be bad business to back out of something like that and would likely sour their relationship with them.

Note: the show was only said to have "bombed" after numbers came in after its first month. That was when I did my video. It might well have picked up over the holidays (that wouldn't surprise me at all), but let's not forget that I did my video in like November. That's an important bit of context.

I wanted to ask - have any of you tried reaching out to current Toys For Bob or Activision staff to find out what's going on? I only got into this because a source of mine hit me up. It was never something I went looking for because I don't play Skylanders or know a lot about it. I would encourage you all to try do your own research and hit some people up.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:51:15 05/01/2017 by LiamR
#614 Posted: 21:49:44 05/01/2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the show did poorly for the first month due to lack of advertising.
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#615 Posted: 21:52:19 05/01/2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the show did poorly for the first month due to lack of advertising.

Dunno. Probably. I imagine that's why Imaginators tanked too. I hadn't even heard they had brought out a new Skylanders this year until November or so.
#616 Posted: 21:53:07 05/01/2017

Oh, what lack of advertising. They waited until the WEEK BEFORE to have clips and trailers. You only knew it was happening 7 months before and then nothing except for Eric Rogers and the VAs doing shenanigans on twitter.
Skylanders advertising was always pretty bad though. Battlecast also was sent to die because they think 3 days before launch is ok. They also frequently try to "control the hype" by withholding stupid necessary information for MONTHS even if there's no purpose to keep things like 'will this game have a new hub?" or the good old Battle Class lock under wraps until a dev spills the beans. The PR is also notoriously apathetic and still acts like the fans are a bunch of 10 year olds who haven't read the FAQ. Oh yeah and no community interaction whatsoever, even if we know they visit DarkSpyro.

I've come into terms that if the series goes it goes, but cutting out Season 2 is just cruel. Let the community get together one last time even if it's just for these 3 hours of fun.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 21:56:54 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
#617 Posted: 21:56:18 05/01/2017
I'm sure Superchargers was at fault for part of the failure of Imaginators, that game was just so bad (according to some people, I haven't played it yet)
that people just didn't bother with the series after that flop. I'm sure retail stores feel the same way.
---
#618 Posted: 22:03:32 05/01/2017
I wanted to ask - have any of you tried reaching out to current Toys For Bob or Activision staff to find out what's going on? I only got into this because a source of mine hit me up. It was never something I went looking for because I don't play Skylanders or know a lot about it. I would encourage you all to try do your own research and hit some people up.

We can try. The only known fans who are in contact with them are the press.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#619 Posted: 22:04:16 05/01/2017
Spain is a 45million people nation, a first world country and an advanced economy (8th of the world I think) as much as any other developed country, so 10k is a small figure. That said, hobbyconsolas, the source, has been proven wrong many,many times. I have been readibg that magazine since a child and sometimes all they su is crap Honestly.

As far as this thing regarding the closure of TfB, I'm still skeptical.If that was the case is weird that any relative of the workers hasn't leaked any info about it.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
#620 Posted: 22:13:46 05/01/2017

We can try. The only known fans who are in contact with them are the press.

Also the big names, but I don't think Yroc and Coinop can get much out of it since they're not "required" to promote the series any longer if it's done. Lou Studdert promotes a lot more than just Skylanders, and I haven't seen him answer tweets in a while about this; Eric Rogers happily talks but if feels like he's not told about what happens to his show most of the time. FGTV is the only one that I could see knowing TFB devs to talk directly.

There's also Jeff Murchie and I-Wei Huang (the character designers) but they're pretty on and off on their blogs. TFB is unfortunately the more closed off of the two developers, VV has several people on twitter or streaming on twitch, but aside from the odd outsourced dev, you just don't see them on social media or art sites aside from those two I mentioned.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:17:52 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
#621 Posted: 22:55:44 05/01/2017
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO...uminous35&hl=en

instagram has gone into total bat**** mode
#622 Posted: 22:58:52 05/01/2017
Someone please tell Luminous35 to get a chill pill if he's going to spread that Liam is "lying".

But if Eric is still getting told to work on it, either it's some dumb backup plan to axe SA that Acti started getting on talks about(but not sharing with the head writer is super shady), or the source was mistaken. SA news as good as any at this point.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:00:33 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#623 Posted: 22:59:19 05/01/2017
VV was working on Skylanders 7. They must be the ones who know if it's cancelled or not. If they are more open to talk, we can try contacting them... Right?

I'm sure Superchargers was at fault for part of the failure of Imaginators, that game was just so bad (according to some people, I haven't played it yet)
that people just didn't bother with the series after that flop. I'm sure retail stores feel the same way.

Well, the fan reception was mixed. Some people liked it, some people didn't. But what sells a game is not fan reception, it's critical reception. At least in my eyes. And the critical reception to SuperChargers was great. So... I don't think that's the problem.
---
Bruh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:02:47 05/01/2017 by Crash10
Luminous35 Gold Sparx Gems: 2457
#624 Posted: 23:00:42 05/01/2017
Instagram is an absolute hell right now, but Eric hasn't been told anything, so the show still grows strong!
---
smilie smilie STARCAST FOR PRESIDENT OF MY SEXUALITY smilie smilie
smilie smilie Professor Jet-Vac? I don’t feel so good. smilie smilie
#625 Posted: 23:02:41 05/01/2017
Quote: Luminous35
Instagram is an absolute hell right now, but Eric hasn't been told anything, so the show still grows strong!

Yeah thanks to you lol
---
#626 Posted: 23:03:11 05/01/2017
Shhh... smilie
---
#627 Posted: 23:05:43 05/01/2017
We already know it's you, same username guy pff
---
#628 Posted: 23:06:03 05/01/2017
Quote: Crash10

Well, the fan reception was mixed. Some people liked it, some people didn't. But what sells a game is not fan reception, it's critical reception. At least in my eyes. And the critical reception to SuperChargers was great. So... I don't think that's the problem.

Skylanders needs the fan reception because we're the ones buying the toys - critics get a care package and usually don't care about the figures past that. They're also not the ones gauging the replay value that the series needs, which is what makes you want more toys. People will follow the critics when it's a simple buy without fear 60 dollar thing, not a 100+ dollars-to-100% behemoth.

Gosh these news on SA just make me pray even more that it survives. We beat Disney with a cynical semi-parody of the games. Imagine with all the issues ironed out and everyone already developed!
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:11:35 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
#629 Posted: 23:11:37 05/01/2017
We already know it's you, same username guy pff

Well, It's not like I meant to. People can't seem to let me do the things I want and have no clue how to just scroll past it...

But on another note, at least Academy won't be cancelled yet. Hopefully we'll still get Skylanders 7, at least in 2018.
---
#630 Posted: 23:13:48 05/01/2017
https://twitter.com/EricRogers...145519633928192

time for two grown men to get in a twitter fight!
#631 Posted: 23:14:38 05/01/2017
Oh boy...
---
#632 Posted: 23:15:09 05/01/2017
Oh my...

Welp, I'll be hiding in the Trash Can. Tell me when it's over.
---
#633 Posted: 23:18:49 05/01/2017
https://twitter.com/EricRogers...145519633928192

time for two grown men to get in a twitter fight!

Eric for the love of Eon at least with Haedox you got talked into it

But what the replies are saying. Don't shoot the messenger. There's Liam and there's the source saying this.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:20:08 05/01/2017 by Bifrost
#634 Posted: 23:20:19 05/01/2017
Let it be known, on January 5th, 2017- Eric Rodgers slowly but surely began a twitter war against Liam Robertson. All because he was egged on by some kid from canada who wants to bang splat. True story.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:21:15 05/01/2017 by ZapNorris
#635 Posted: 23:20:40 05/01/2017
Goddamnit! Thank the stars I have a Twitter. Hopefully, I shot down that **** in time... Darn these kids!
#636 Posted: 23:22:33 05/01/2017
Let it be known, on January 5th, 2017- Eric Rodgers slowly but surely began a twitter war against Liam Robertson. All because he was egged on by some kid from canada who wants to bang splat. True story.

Accurate.
---
#637 Posted: 23:24:03 05/01/2017
There were issues with leakers getting targeted by way bigger fandoms with way more tendency to witch hunt before actually knowing what to yell at. Well, at least with Skylanders it's just a handful of young adults trying to damage control a handful of kids.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!
---
#638 Posted: 23:28:22 05/01/2017
As someone who follows both Laura Kate Dale and Liam Robertson on Twitter, I have to say it's super tough being a leaker. Mad props to all of these people! Especially now during the whole Switch Hype fiasco going on right now.

Also, I take back everything I said yesterday, this fanbase sucks and is filled with dumb children.
Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#639 Posted: 23:29:08 05/01/2017
Me right now:
[User Posted Image]
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
#640 Posted: 23:31:08 05/01/2017
Quote: TheToyNerd
As someone who follows both Laura Kate Dale and Liam Robertson on Twitter, I have to say it's super tough being a leaker. Mad props to all of these people! Especially now during the whole Switch Hype fiasco going on right now.

Also, I take back everything I said yesterday, this fanbase sucks and is filled with dumb children.

oh my god, skylanders is the undertale of ttl

good game, bad fans
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#641 Posted: 23:36:39 05/01/2017
All right, at this point, just release Wave 4, put Tidepool in Wave 4, and I'll be happy.
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 23:36:59 05/01/2017 by AdamGregory03
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8257
#642 Posted: 23:40:09 05/01/2017
I think we'll get everyone, no need to worry Adam <3
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2956
#643 Posted: 23:44:07 05/01/2017
So...it looks like it's over, isn't it? Well, I don't know what to say. We've had a good run. Once we get confirmation, I will post my official thoughts.
---
i made the "bus" look like my "dad"
yrocgames Gold Sparx Gems: 2714
#644 Posted: 23:45:18 05/01/2017
I would encourage you all to check @jeffpoff's bio on twitter...
---
Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC0_L3dsR6hprEa93PItzjw
#645 Posted: 23:48:26 05/01/2017
Former EP??

https://twitter.com/jeffpoff
---
#646 Posted: 23:50:04 05/01/2017
I would like to think he would never quit because of how much he loved working there. Plus I just saw him in September, So I'm pretty sure this adds on to what Liam was saying.
---
#647 Posted: 23:51:55 05/01/2017
WELP! Goodbye everyone...

I can't wait to play Lightseekers!
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#648 Posted: 23:57:14 05/01/2017
What's a EP?
---
Bruh
#649 Posted: 23:58:47 05/01/2017
Executive producer.
---
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#650 Posted: 23:59:41 05/01/2017
Well... ****
---
Dead
First | Previous | Page 13 of 29 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 27 28 29

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me