darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Moving skylanders the next gimmick.
Page 1 of 1
Moving skylanders the next gimmick.
CountMoneyBone Platinum Sparx Gems: 5023
#1 Posted: 13:27:18 08/11/2016 | Topic Creator
turning the head left and righ, moving the arms up and down, turning the chest left and right. but keeping the feet solid no movable to the base..... all figures had that back in the 80's and 90's.. it should not be that hard for the makers to do that, and without it cost more or lowering paint quality. they just have to figure out how it will work with the character they are creating. as i see it moving skylanders is the next logical step to skylanders to make them more toys like. and is good choice for the next gimmick.

---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10038
#2 Posted: 13:31:34 08/11/2016
"It should not be that hard" he says as the only TTL franchise that has complex articulation(as in not LEGO) is Lightseekers and they got outside help
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#3 Posted: 13:35:44 08/11/2016 | Topic Creator
im not talking complex articulation, just the basic. like move head,arms body, the simple stuff. its still cool to be able to do even if its not groundbreaking complex articulation.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
AdamGregory03 Gold Sparx Gems: 2156
#4 Posted: 14:09:20 08/11/2016
That would be pretty cool, but I don't know how they could really make a game out of that mechanic. I mean, other than "raise arm to slightly boost attack"?
---
Golden Queen did nothing wrong and she is best evil waifu.
Check this out! Please?
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#5 Posted: 14:17:11 08/11/2016
Quote: AdamGregory03
That would be pretty cool, but I don't know how they could really make a game out of that mechanic. I mean, other than "raise arm to slightly boost attack"?

Basically just copy Lightseekers/Infinite Arms (RIP in Kill) and have interchangeable weapons. That's the only way that I could see this going! Or just quit while you're ahead and focus entirely on merchandise for Academy...
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#6 Posted: 14:29:50 08/11/2016
Pretty sure interchangeable weapons won't even be considered at this point: they were, during SWAP Force development (if I remember correctly) but were scrapped along with multiple parts for Swappers and now that those two franchises are around it would just not feel new and exciting, in my opinion.

But I have to admit I generally would not like that change and completely agree on I-Wei that the characters and the toys themselves would loose a lot of personality without specific well thought poses to valorize them.
That's without counting all the technical issues he mentioned in the video.

Between sizes, details and bases the figures already changed more than enough in my opinion and I don't think the developers should focus too much on making them special, but rather innovate inside the game or with a side gimmick line.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#7 Posted: 15:05:04 08/11/2016
i beilve in the "hint skylander" theory, and i think that mabey the next gimmik will be pet based.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
Kat-Kun Green Sparx Gems: 415
#8 Posted: 15:14:20 08/11/2016
I agree with Omer1698.
---
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the waaaaaay!
#9 Posted: 16:07:35 08/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: omer1698
i beilve in the "hint skylander" theory, and i think that mabey the next gimmik will be pet based.

you have already pets the minies...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
GinjaNinja Gold Sparx Gems: 2604
#10 Posted: 16:09:08 08/11/2016
My only question: what does the gimmick do in game? Articulation doesn't mean anything to mean, so it would have to have a good reason to be there in the game as well.
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#11 Posted: 16:25:20 08/11/2016
Quote: CountMoneyBone

Minis have been full fledged characters since Trap Team, though.

I could see a gimmick like that, with both Beast Tamers figures and their Mounts.
You can use both types of figures freely (Mounts would be less complex than Skylanders though) but if you put both a Beast Tamer and a Mount on the Portal at the same time the former would combine with the latter (by simply riding it or tag-teaming in a more complex way) and they would both become much more powerful.

There would be 2 or 3 Beast Tamers per Element but only 10 Mounts.
This reminds me a lot of Gormiti and would also be an excuse to finally see more playable quadrupeds and beasts in the series.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
omer1698 Gold Sparx Gems: 2258
#12 Posted: 16:30:29 08/11/2016
Quote: Drek95

Minis have been full fledged characters since Trap Team, though.

I could see a gimmick like that, with both Beast Tamers figures and their Mounts.
You can use both types of figures freely (Mounts would be less complex than Skylanders though) but if you put both a Beast Tamer and a Mount on the Portal at the same time the former would combine with the latter (by simply riding it or tag-teaming in a more complex way) and they would both become much more powerful.

There would be 2 or 3 Beast Tamers per Element but only 10 Mounts.
This reminds me a lot of Gormiti and would also be an excuse to finally see more playable quadrupeds and beasts in the series.

if there will be sky 7 then this can be a good gimmik, it will not be what imagnitors offerd us but i belive it can work.
---
" i am thou, thou art i"
#13 Posted: 16:39:58 08/11/2016

You consider the Minis to be pets? Well that's a new one...
(For the record, the Minis are confirmed to just be their regular-sized counterparts except from an alternate dimension where everything is smaller, but I digress.)

Thinking about it, I don't think articulated Skylanders are out of the realm of possibility. I just don't think it would be the central mechanic to the game, or be the game's main selling point like character creation in Imaginators.

And also I too believe in the "hint Skylander" theory but that's a discussion for another time.
---
Check this out! Please?
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#14 Posted: 23:00:30 08/11/2016
After not really liking four gimmicks (Swappers, Racing, Sensei and Create-a-Character), I lost interest in contemplating about what else they can cook up for us. Honestly I'd welcome just a vanilla game like SSA year after year with only the new characters to buy and no silly gimmicks at all.

But thinking about it, pets (animals/creatures and perhaps minis) makes full sense for a future game as they can recycle Imaginators to do this. Create-a-pet with dozens of pet related crystals (or whatever) you can buy. Dress that pet up with billions of in game chest parts, which you can also buy online if you get fed up with trying to collect them in game. The new Skylanders can be called Battle Trainers or whatever .

Personally I would want them to actually do stuff like assist in battle by either healing you, finding battle items or fighting along side with you. Those Frito minis were rather useless and were more decoration than anything else, much like real pets actually.

Having useful pets to replace our missing battle items would actually be very much welcomed as I really do miss the assist items. I think they would have to remodel the portals to support several chips on it at once, but it's about time for that change to happen anyway for some better gimmick down the road.

With the absence of a better idea that could work (I'd think weapons and body parts would go missing too easily), I'd go with assist pets for Sky 7. Sadly what will happen for Sky 7 will probably be no where as cool but will be just as costly as any other year to collect. smilie
---
Stay Cool!
#15 Posted: 23:04:13 08/11/2016
Hey, level editor can still happen. You guys know how I freaked out when the first Imaginators leak seemed to have level editor. I'd loooove level editor, though dunno how they'd make it a main gimmick.
---
#16 Posted: 00:05:42 09/11/2016
I forgot the minis weren't playable in games before Trap Team. I guess that's what Count meant by pets.
---
Check this out! Please?
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#17 Posted: 09:08:03 10/11/2016
I've been thinking about what the next gimmick could be. As much as I like CMB idea about moving skylanders (I would even add some action mechanics for them ,like how Buzzfeed pop out its wings), I don't think it will happen, or at least, not as the main gimmick but rather as a side feature.

I'm saying this because imaginators provided a freedom taht once taken off our hands is gonna be very missed. In this context I can only think of 3 gimmicks that would manage not to be overshadowed by imaginators:

1) Massive crossover with other well know franchises: Not saying I like this possibility but rather that it have its chances. Imagine you could play as sonic characters in skylanders? or maybe DC superheroes or any other characters that are not currently owned by the powerful Disney or Marvel? Harry potter maybe?

2) Level editor: It would give a similar sense of freedom as imaginators. DI did it, so it has been probably corssig the mind of developers for some time now. I personally do not care a lot about designing levels, but if these could be shared and played online it would definitely add some replay value.

3) Add high online capabilities and PvP: Imagine a huge hub where you would meet dozens of other players and you party up with them to face some bosses? Or you could just go into the PvP colliseum and have some dueling fun.

This is speculation 100%.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
diddy50 Gold Sparx Gems: 2554
#18 Posted: 12:28:17 10/11/2016
I'm thinking interchangeable weapons like Light seekers will be next. But with weapons in blind bags and each weapon class or item may have an upgrade path or something. Sounds like activision to me.
#19 Posted: 15:59:48 10/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: AdamGregory03

Thinking about it, I don't think articulated Skylanders are out of the realm of possibility. I just don't think it would be the central mechanic to the game, or be the game's main selling point like character creation in Imaginators.

i guess it could attract the kids more since you now can articulated Skylanders. the superchargers vehicles had moving parts..
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
TrapGiant Blue Sparx Gems: 547
#20 Posted: 17:22:31 14/11/2016
My Tree Rex's main arm moves up-and-down a bit...
---
"Science is a horizon to search for, not a prize to hold in your hand..."-Smart Waddles
#21 Posted: 17:27:45 14/11/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: TrapGiant
My Tree Rex's main arm moves up-and-down a bit...

i guess its about to fall apart then, but you can glue it back on so no worries...
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#22 Posted: 17:53:38 14/11/2016
I heard iWei give a two minute explanation why articulation just isn't in the cards. It makes sense, both aesthetically and financially.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:53:59 14/11/2016 by TakeYourLemons
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#23 Posted: 20:21:48 14/11/2016
Articulation is overrated. To do it right, you have to have many points of articulation or else you end up like old school Star Wars figures that only look right if you leave them in perfectly straight up pose.
#24 Posted: 20:58:36 14/11/2016
Quote: TakeYourLemons
I heard iWei give a two minute explanation why articulation just isn't in the cards. It makes sense, both aesthetically and financially.

I don't get why the base is such a big deal that they have to be stuck to it, though. Maybe just use simple pegs on it so you can take them out and maybe even swap the characters entirely(here's your free idea for element switching characters, acti). That way, there's a way to display without having to sacrifice either.
---
TakeYourLemons Gold Sparx Gems: 2350
#25 Posted: 22:29:02 14/11/2016
Well, technically the chip is in the base, so maybe that's the problem basically (you only have so much clearance for the chip to be read by the portal). I'd like some fresh ideas, but most of my "wants" are in the game itself. Basically going deeper on the figure stats/capabilities with enough gameplay capabilities to warrant it....
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:30:50 14/11/2016 by TakeYourLemons
Nightmoon Yellow Sparx Gems: 1760
#26 Posted: 02:33:14 15/11/2016
Considering VV's track record, it might be another mix and match type of gimmick.
Swap-Force: Special team which can mix and match tops and bottoms.
SuperChargers: Special team with Vehicles that can be used by anyone (mix), though there are signature pairings (match).

As some have suggested, a team of humanoids accompanied by non-humanoid creatures (which can be played alone or paired up with a member of the humanoid team) would be pretty great. Partially because I want to see more non-humanoids for the next game. We've had way too few of them lately IMO :/
---
Phoenix Crystal is the best unreleased Crystal.
Skylanders Academy Season 2 was an improvement.
I don't know what to think of Skylanders' future.
Kat-Kun Green Sparx Gems: 415
#27 Posted: 03:26:57 15/11/2016
If the next game is pet based, here's how I'd see it:
There would be a beast for each character, similar to SuperChargers.
The beast is a mini thing that will follow you and either fight for you, heal you, or give you buffs.
If you pair a character with it's matching beast, it will increase the effects of the beast's skills.
You can upgrade beasts the same way you can upgrade characters.
---
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the waaaaaay!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me