Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Console differences?
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#1 Posted: 17:21:40 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
I'll be upgrading from my old and decrepit XBOX 360 at some point in the future (R.I.P.) and I was just wondering which console plays Skylanders best. Are there any graphic/control variations I need to worry about?
zookinator Platinum Sparx Gems: 5694
#2 Posted: 17:50:01 19/08/2016
No need to worry about control variations; all the controllers play the game with the exact format.

For graphics, the Wii U version is on the fuzzy end, and it also tends to load a lot slower than the XBOX One version. If you aren’t too concerned about that, then otherwise performance should be the same.

One note however: On the Wii U version you can play on Gamepad only play, which really comes in handy when other family members want to use the TV. The XBOX has sort of the same capability, being able to stream the game to another computer, but as I’ve found with past experience, if you plan on using it for your Blu-Ray player and nothin else, movie nights will have to be an exception for Skylanders.
---
Skylanders Colosseum Clash
A Fanmade Skylanders Boardgame
bionicle2809 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8438
#3 Posted: 18:10:37 19/08/2016
If I recall, they've said before that the PS4 version is the one they build for these days and it usually ends up looking the best; though the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions are minimal.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3500
#4 Posted: 19:01:05 19/08/2016
y6I hear PS4 looks the best, but the Wii U is great for if someone else wants to use the TV or if you just wanna play Skylanders in bed before you go to sleep (I do that all the time!). The Wii U's graphics are better than 360, but I hear they're a wee bit fuzzy compared to PS4/XB1. Not a terribly large difference, but I guess it depends on what you want out of it: better graphics or better utility?
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#5 Posted: 19:35:02 19/08/2016
Quote: bionicle2809
If I recall, they've said before that the PS4 version is the one they build for these days and it usually ends up looking the best; though the differences between the PS4 and Xbox One versions are minimal.

The XBox One and PS4 versions are identical. I have both for Superchargers and Trap Team. Both are 1080p, rock solid frame rate that doesn't dip and same sharp image quality. Anyone that says otherwise either saw them on TVs with different image settings, is going off rumors or is just being a fanboy. I have literally played them both on the same TV swapping the input selection back and forth. They are the ones to choose if you have the option, pick whichever one you like the controllers better (or PS4 if you are getting the Crash Starter).

The WiiU version still plays smooth, but is noticeably more fuzzy due to the lower resolution. Still looks great, but definitely not as good as the PS4/XB1. I have the WiiU Swap Force and Superchargers, and have also played a neighbor's Trap Team on my TV with it.

The WiiU version is better (but not by a huge margin) over the 360/PS3.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:36:09 19/08/2016 by defpally
BOOMCAKE Blue Sparx Gems: 970
#6 Posted: 19:51:37 19/08/2016
Don't forget, WiiU and PS3 has free online multiplayer.
#7 Posted: 20:56:52 19/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the replies, everyone! smilie I'll aim for a PS4 but there's always the Wii U to fall back on.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#8 Posted: 00:36:09 20/08/2016
Remember that the Wii U has exclusive characters, if that matters.
---
Bruh
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#9 Posted: 05:22:03 20/08/2016
ps4 is the "better" one. its developed on ps4 so there will be less bugs present on that version. ps4 also got all of the updates first in superchargers. other than the the ps4 does perform better than xbox 1 version but its like a 0.001% difference, in short, its not noticeable. really its all about the updates IF they do the same thing where ps4 gets them first. If you dont care about that then it dosent matter which you get it for. but both xbox and ps4 are miles ahead of the wii u hardware wise, and speaking of hardware, ps4 has better hardware than xbox 1. all this means is tech taxing games will be better on ps4 vs xbox 1 but skylanders is hardly a tech heavy game.
#10 Posted: 10:49:51 20/08/2016
Quote: Alphawolf
ps4 is the "better" one. its developed on ps4 so there will be less bugs present on that version. ps4 also got all of the updates first in superchargers. other than the the ps4 does perform better than xbox 1 version but its like a 0.001% difference, in short, its not noticeable. really its all about the updates IF they do the same thing where ps4 gets them first. If you dont care about that then it dosent matter which you get it for. but both xbox and ps4 are miles ahead of the wii u hardware wise, and speaking of hardware, ps4 has better hardware than xbox 1. all this means is tech taxing games will be better on ps4 vs xbox 1 but skylanders is hardly a tech heavy game.

No, it does not perform better. Stop it, please. You could not notice a 0.001% difference even if it was there - that's just fanboy nonsense Sony fans use to make themselves feel better about their choices.

As far as updates, they do get updates quicker because Sony's qualification process is significantly less strict than Microsoft's. That results in less testing, and potentially buggy code being pushed out. As a software developer the whole idea that less QA is a "good" thing and results in less bugs is just head slappingly ridiculous. Sony has had system software updates brick consoles before. Even in Skylanders they had some patches that caused issues and had to be immediately updated.

And who has the "better" hardware is really pointless when the game doesn't tax the hardware of either. You could go get a brand new Neo this Winter when it comes out and all that extra hardware would still do squat for Skylanders.

The choice of console is simple:
- If you have PS4 and want Crash on Day 1, that is your choice.
- If you can wait or don't want Crash and have a XB1 or PS4, pick one of those. Whichever controller you like best or have the most friends to race against.
- If you don't have a next gen console, WiiU is the next choice - followed by PS3 or XBox 360. PS3 if you want Crash Day 1.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:50:38 20/08/2016 by defpally
#11 Posted: 13:48:24 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Thanks for the round-up smilie
PwnageFTW Yellow Sparx Gems: 1716
#12 Posted: 15:27:11 20/08/2016
I recommend Wii U because then you can actually have the ability to play with every skylander
---
Quote: Carmelita Fox
YOU’RE ALL DUMB SHEEP!!!!
#13 Posted: 15:34:26 20/08/2016
Quote: PwnageFTW
I recommend Wii U because then you can actually have the ability to play with every skylander

That is a benefit, Bowser and Donkey Kong are pretty cool. But with Imaginators one has to think your playable options are going to be rather large.

And, some aren't really concerned with 1080p visuals. The game plays plenty smooth on WiiU, it just isn't crisp like the nextgen consoles. If you don't have a large 1080p TV you simply might not care.
#14 Posted: 15:42:30 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Hmmm... My problem will be actually buying a Wii U/Xbox One/PS4 before Imaginators releases. I really don't want to have the Xbox 360 starter pack, since my system is on it's last legs (it must be heading towards ten years old and the screen freezes regularly - my original PS1 plays better!) and I'll have to buy it again on a next gen console.

My family were already planning on a Xbox One/PS4, so I might just pick up a Wii U and eventually play the games on both. Off-screen play does sound pretty cool, and I'm not too fussed with graphics as long as it's better than Xbox 360.
#15 Posted: 18:53:48 20/08/2016
Quote: defpally

No, it does not perform better. Stop it, please. You could not notice a 0.001% difference even if it was there - that's just fanboy nonsense Sony fans use to make themselves feel better about their choices.

As far as updates, they do get updates quicker because Sony's qualification process is significantly less strict than Microsoft's. That results in less testing, and potentially buggy code being pushed out. As a software developer the whole idea that less QA is a "good" thing and results in less bugs is just head slappingly ridiculous. Sony has had system software updates brick consoles before. Even in Skylanders they had some patches that caused issues and had to be immediately updated.

And who has the "better" hardware is really pointless when the game doesn't tax the hardware of either. You could go get a brand new Neo this Winter when it comes out and all that extra hardware would still do squat for Skylanders.

- If you can wait or don't want Crash and have a XB1 or PS4, pick one of those. Whichever controller you like best or have the most friends to race against.
- If you don't have a next gen console, WiiU is the next choice - followed by PS3 or XBox 360. PS3 if you want Crash Day 1.

it does perform better, just because its developed on that platform. A number of issues pop up when having to port a game from one console to another, the more different the consoles are the more issues pop up. This was a bigger issue in the 360 and ps3 days as the consoles operating systems were very different. the xbox 1 and ps4 are on the same operating system for the most part right now but there is still a slight advantage to the console the game was developed on. Also sony QA requirements are the same as microsofts, i know this cause i was a tester for call of duty advanced warfare ( also tested a tiny bit on destiny and skylanders trap team) and i went through the qualification process on all of the consoles, xbox 1, xbox 360, ps4, ps3 and pc, all of them have the same standards. the bugs you see that are on one console vs another are issues that pop up during porting. And the better hardware was for future games, if he decides to play something other than skylanders, with that being said console exclusives may be a factor too, halo, uncharted, gears of war, final fantasy, all console exclusives and can be a factor if you ever want to branch out from skylanders.

but i will agree with you, for the sake of just playing skylanders, there is no difference between xbox 1 and ps4. just day 1 crash and friends.
#16 Posted: 20:23:30 20/08/2016
it does perform better, just because its developed on that platform. A number of issues pop up when having to port a game from one console to another, the more different the consoles are the more issues pop up. This was a bigger issue in the 360 and ps3 days as the consoles operating systems were very different. the xbox 1 and ps4 are on the same operating system for the most part right now but there is still a slight advantage to the console the game was developed on. Also sony QA requirements are the same as microsofts, i know this cause i was a tester for call of duty advanced warfare ( also tested a tiny bit on destiny and skylanders trap team) and i went through the qualification process on all of the consoles, xbox 1, xbox 360, ps4, ps3 and pc, all of them have the same standards. the bugs you see that are on one console vs another are issues that pop up during porting. And the better hardware was for future games, if he decides to play something other than skylanders, with that being said console exclusives may be a factor too, halo, uncharted, gears of war, final fantasy, all console exclusives and can be a factor if you ever want to branch out from skylanders.

but i will agree with you, for the sake of just playing skylanders, there is no difference between xbox 1 and ps4. just day 1 crash and friends.

No it doesn't. I have both the XB1 and PS4 versions hooked up to the exact same TV on different inputs, I will guarantee you that you could not tell the difference. You might have done some testing, but I do software development and coding. The base platform is irrelevant to performance. For example, Dark Souls 3 base platform was the PS4, then ported to PC - and which one performs better? It only becomes an issue if they use hardware tricks because they are pushing the environment, which they are not doing on Skylanders - at all.

And ok wait a minute, the bugs are a result in the process of porting? Really? PS4 version of Superchargers had some pretty nasty PS4 specific bugs in a couple patches, if bugs are a result of porting how does that happen? Certification requirements are most certainly not the same, which is why patches tend to take longer to get approved for Microsoft. Now what *may* be the same for all consoles is the testing process Activision uses prior to submittal (since you listed three Activision games), but there is a whole different layer once it leaves their hands. The creator of Fez famously wrote about how much easier it was to get approval from Sony for fix patches.
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#17 Posted: 21:47:00 20/08/2016
To go a slightly different direction, I wouldn't look at Skylanders to determine your choice between a PS4 or an XBox One. Seriously, the differences between the two are pretty miniscule, it's not worth fretting over. I'd look at the *exclusive* titles on the two systems and then decide which you'd rather have.

Now, if you throw Wii U into the mix, you get the two exclusive characters/vehicles, off-TV play, and a plethora of exclusive games that are pretty amazing. In spite of the many flaws the WiiU has, I've enjoyed mine immensely and would recommend it to anyone.
#18 Posted: 22:00:58 20/08/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: UncleBob
To go a slightly different direction, I wouldn't look at Skylanders to determine your choice between a PS4 or an XBox One. Seriously, the differences between the two are pretty miniscule, it's not worth fretting over. I'd look at the *exclusive* titles on the two systems and then decide which you'd rather have.

Now, if you throw Wii U into the mix, you get the two exclusive characters/vehicles, off-TV play, and a plethora of exclusive games that are pretty amazing. In spite of the many flaws the WiiU has, I've enjoyed mine immensely and would recommend it to anyone.

Ah, well that's interesting. I was very close to buying a Wii U, but now I'm holding out for the NX announcement.
#19 Posted: 12:57:48 21/08/2016
If you have multiple consoles and children, the WiiU is a must-own. My kids play it far more than the other two. I also really enjoy it, they have some fantastic games you will not play anywhere else. It is a shame it did not do better in sales.
The Collecter Yellow Sparx Gems: 1165
#20 Posted: 17:24:32 21/08/2016

Totally agree. I personally prefer the Xbox One (along with my children), but we own all the systems except the PS4 (hopefully soon). But it should boil down to your own preference as there will little to no difference for a toys to life game.
#21 Posted: 19:41:04 21/08/2016

No it doesn't. I have both the XB1 and PS4 versions hooked up to the exact same TV on different inputs, I will guarantee you that you could not tell the difference. You might have done some testing, but I do software development and coding. The base platform is irrelevant to performance. For example, Dark Souls 3 base platform was the PS4, then ported to PC - and which one performs better? It only becomes an issue if they use hardware tricks because they are pushing the environment, which they are not doing on Skylanders - at all.

And ok wait a minute, the bugs are a result in the process of porting? Really? PS4 version of Superchargers had some pretty nasty PS4 specific bugs in a couple patches, if bugs are a result of porting how does that happen? Certification requirements are most certainly not the same, which is why patches tend to take longer to get approved for Microsoft. Now what *may* be the same for all consoles is the testing process Activision uses prior to submittal (since you listed three Activision games), but there is a whole different layer once it leaves their hands. The creator of Fez famously wrote about how much easier it was to get approval from Sony for fix patches.

well clearly your a xbox fanboy and im a sony fanboy despite the both of us trying to take a neutral approach to things. we both work/have experience coding, testing and developing games so we both know there is alot of things that can pop up that can make games buggy. some of it is console specific others are not. each game company handles certification different, some have different requirements on each console while others all have the same on them. there is more to this than both of us know. also for dark souls 3. my cousins say xbox 1 is the best version lol. but yea, comparing pc to ps4/xbox1 is apples to oranges. min spec the game sucks, duel titans the game is epic.
#22 Posted: 01:49:32 22/08/2016
well clearly your a xbox fanboy and im a sony fanboy despite the both of us trying to take a neutral approach to things. we both work/have experience coding, testing and developing games so we both know there is alot of things that can pop up that can make games buggy. some of it is console specific others are not. each game company handles certification different, some have different requirements on each console while others all have the same on them. there is more to this than both of us know. also for dark souls 3. my cousins say xbox 1 is the best version lol. but yea, comparing pc to ps4/xbox1 is apples to oranges. min spec the game sucks, duel titans the game is epic.

What part of I have a PS4 and an Xbox One hooked up to the same TV indicates I am an XBox fanboy? What part of "they are the same" indicates I am giving a nod to the XBox One? Is the fact that the PS4 isn't better in some way a threat to a Sony fanboy?

And no, Dark Souls 3 is not better on the XBox One. I have it on PS4 because it is better on that console, and a Plat trophy in the game to prove it. Some XBox fanboy I am, buying a cross platform game for the PS4 instead and singing its praises!
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me