Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
On feminism [CLOSED]
arceustheprime Ripto Gems: 5362
#51 Posted: 14:01:11 24/07/2016
second page for ghostbusters
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#52 Posted: 15:39:22 24/07/2016
Quote:
the concept of feminism is just fine, and i support it. the problem is that we have so many men who have it wrapped in their heads that feminism is anti-men, and a lot of women today who claim to be feminist ARE anti-men. We need more feminists like Emma Watson, not more like Anita Sarkeesian.

I will continue to emphasize this over and over again because the insane difference between these two and their views on feminism I think pretty much sums up my thoughts on feminism and what it has become as a whole.

As for Ghostbusters, I actually saw the film, and on top of it being an abysmal film it isn't even a very "progressive" one in the first place.

-All the female characters are kind of one-dimensional and don't have a lot of compelling characteristics behind them
-Leslie Jones' character is seriously stereotyped
-Every single male character in this film is an idiot, a jerk, or a coward
-The only interactions the Ghostbusters actually have with Chris Hemsworth's character is pointing out over and over again how stupid his character is(except Kristen Wiig who for some reason spent every scene with him just flirting)

Ellen Ripley? Sarah Conner? Rey from Force Awakens? Furiosa from Fury Road? Dory? Hermoine Granger? Katniss Everdeen? Mulan? Black Widow? Wonder Woman? Pssh, forget those characters, THESE CHARACTERS are the real role-models and the real compelling female characters.

Seriously though the characterization in this movie really ticks me off
---
Cool cool.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:42:02 24/07/2016 by pankakesparx456
TheToyNerd Gold Sparx Gems: 2137
#53 Posted: 16:01:17 24/07/2016
What disgusts me about the Ghostbusters film is how Sony inadvertently or not made it a political act to see a movie. Sure, there are sexists who won't see the film because of the female cast, but they aren't the majority! Most people don't want to waste time and money on a film that not a lot of people like... Where were all the defenders of Pixels when that was getting panned? There were none cause that film is awful. Maybe, just maybe... Ghostbusters is awful, too!
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#54 Posted: 17:42:29 24/07/2016
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
Quote: StevemacQ
Quote: CAV

A huge reason the new Ghostbusters got **** on is because people were mad that they were rebooting one of their childhood favorites. I'd argue that most people who hate the new film hate it because they love the original too much.

Not sure about that. I mean the assholes disapproving an all-female cast for Ghostbusters is exactly how Walter Peck dissaproves the Ghostbusters team. I don't sympathise with these 30-to-40-something-year-old fans and I never will. Their behavior proves that they deserve the very worst.

That's rather harsh and condemnatory considering how it's just a movie series. I know people are assholes, but I agree with CAV, though on a lesser scale and less inflamitory, people were raging on the PPG and Teen Titans reboot. People dislike change, especially considering Ghostbusters was such a major part of some people's childhood.

None of that matters. The original Ghostbusters is still there along with Star Wars, RoboCop, Clash of the Titans, Ben-Hur, Terminator, Alien, Batman, Superman, the many slasher films or even older fiction like Robin Hood or Sherlock. None of the sequels, remakes and adaptations will wipe away the existence of these old classics but that doesn't mean these later ones don't have merit.

The new Ghostbusters, much like the new Star War films and the Marvel movies, will shape the define how children today will see fiction none of us, especially those fat eldritch neckbeards, have no right to take THEIR childhood away from them.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#55 Posted: 18:58:24 24/07/2016

Not sure about that. I mean the assholes disapproving an all-female cast for Ghostbusters is exactly how Walter Peck dissaproves the Ghostbusters team. I don't sympathise with these 30-to-40-something-year-old fans and I never will. Their behavior proves that they deserve the very worst.

That's rather harsh and condemnatory considering how it's just a movie series. I know people are assholes, but I agree with CAV, though on a lesser scale and less inflamitory, people were raging on the PPG and Teen Titans reboot. People dislike change, especially considering Ghostbusters was such a major part of some people's childhood.

None of that matters. The original Ghostbusters is still there along with Star Wars, RoboCop, Clash of the Titans, Ben-Hur, Terminator, Alien, Batman, Superman, the many slasher films or even older fiction like Robin Hood or Sherlock. None of the sequels, remakes and adaptations will wipe away the existence of these old classics but that doesn't mean these later ones don't have merit.

The new Ghostbusters, much like the new Star War films and the Marvel movies, will shape the define how children today will see fiction none of us, especially those fat eldritch neckbeards, have no right to take THEIR childhood away from them.

if my kid asked to watch ghostbusters, i don't think i'd tell them to watch 2016. Not because of the controversies, but because it's mediocre film best. I think i'd give them original. Mainly because I want them to enjoy a good movie, rather than just be babysat by a bad one.

I know kids are stupid. But they aren't THAT stupid. Kids know that something isn't entertaining.

If Ghostbusters 2016 defines fiction today, as you say, then I really worry about the sake of films in the future.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#56 Posted: 21:28:44 24/07/2016
Quote: parisruelz12

if my kid asked to watch ghostbusters, i don't think i'd tell them to watch 2016. Not because of the controversies, but because it's mediocre film best. I think i'd give them original. Mainly because I want them to enjoy a good movie, rather than just be babysat by a bad one.

I know kids are stupid. But they aren't THAT stupid. Kids know that something isn't entertaining.

If Ghostbusters 2016 defines fiction today, as you say, then I really worry about the sake of films in the future.

Oh I don't think the new one will top the original. Nothing else with the names will top the original film.

I might as well add that it feels better to get angry at the TMNT movies today because kids deserve better. They have a good cartoon to watch, much like the older fans. The difference is that the first film older fans got wasn't bad.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#57 Posted: 00:12:03 25/07/2016
Slightly off track but to go back to the issue of media representation of genders...

I'm aware this is from a decade ago, but in the first season of House, there's two prominent female characters, one a doctor, and the other the chief of staff. Only a few episodes into the season the both of them are hinted and implied at being potential love interests for House. The chief is possibly teased about giving House leeway despite his snarky attitude because she has a thing for him (an accusation she'll obviously deny even if it's true).

And the doctor goes even farther in that she's constantly vying for House's attention and approval, convinced that he has a thing for her even though his entire character is the personification of apathy. And when she quits her job and House tries to get her back since the reason she left is no longer a problem, she refuses to come back unless House admits feelings for her and, in the end, go on a date with her.

House is a pretty good show, but the fact that the only two prominent female characters are both in some way turned into potential love interests (especially the doctor, who's characterization has already turned into a walking "you need to love me" sign) is indicative of certain attitudes in media.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:12:46 25/07/2016 by CAV
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#58 Posted: 00:41:32 25/07/2016
I also need to address that I don't see problem in some characters being stereotyped. On real life, many people fit into stereotypes, so I don't see problem if some characters are like those people.

Like, I don't see problem in Peach of Super Mario being the girl that almost always needs Mario's help. Mario has female characters with many different personalities. Even Peach herself had a strong hole, as a playable character, for example. So she being stereotyped is not a problem.
---
Bruh
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me