Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
Why not a Darker Story? [CLOSED]
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#1 Posted: 05:30:46 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Real talk here, why people are so against that Skylanders should not have a Darker Story. Why not? Why you are so against this?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:55:12 26/06/2016 by KeybasHedKey
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#2 Posted: 05:56:01 26/06/2016
Hmm, I don't see why not, I mean a lot of children's media have taken this route and have executed it pretty well.
But maybe people don't want it to happen to Skylanders because originally that's what they were planning to do? Like Spyro's Kingdom was going to be very dark and mature to the point of visible blood, I'm pretty sure. Obviously, the devs thought against this and made Skylanders what it is today. Maybe it's just one of those things where people want it to remain light-hearted? I don't know.
I don't care either way, maybe a darker story will be beneficial to keep the audience from the first game interested, because they'd have grown up a lot by now and may not be satisfied with the overly kid-friendly storyline! ;p
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#3 Posted: 14:28:05 26/06/2016
How dark are we talkin' here?
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#4 Posted: 14:57:49 26/06/2016
Oh boy it's this subject again. If you need to ask over 10 times it's pretty clear you won't get it the next 10 either.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#5 Posted: 17:57:09 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
^Why you hate me...

I'm trying to be real here just look at movies today... and SuperChargers wasn't dark enough.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 18:01:23 26/06/2016 by KeybasHedKey
Aura24 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6561
#6 Posted: 18:19:41 26/06/2016
You mean blood, gore and T/M rated death you grew up watching?

Haha.... no. I don't see that happening in a Skylanders game anytime soon.
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:26:00 26/06/2016 by Aura24
fyra Platinum Sparx Gems: 6435
#7 Posted: 18:27:48 26/06/2016
Heuh t and m are more than that and if you were not aware many great rpgs are t or m and not that gory.Getting darker would be a good thing because it mean more complex story...or they could just keep it E10 and go the same way kh did.Sorry to butthurt you but I m trying to help here.Mature does not mean bloody and edgy,great stories can be made too.Seriously even Divinity or Skyrim are m and are still amazing and not that gory.When mature become guts of blood dismemberment,swears and sex it's immature not mature.Also if it don't work I will leave maybe spyroforum will be better.
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#8 Posted: 18:36:31 26/06/2016
Lemme save some hours of everyone's time and say how this is going to go:

"why isn't the game darker, with gore and deaths"
"well because it's not going to add anything to the series"
"but I like my games darker"
"well here's why it's not going to work for Skylanders"
"everyone hates my idea"
"we're not really talking about this we just believe it isn't needed"
"why do you hate my opinions I'm never talking to you again"

And in the next few months, this will repeat itself, with the same arguments, and the same responses, in a different thread, sometimes derailing another subject entirely.
I think I tried to explain this in increasingly shorter posts every time, now I'm just not going to bother.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:37:16 26/06/2016 by Bifrost
#9 Posted: 18:55:51 26/06/2016
Maybe if people knew what T and M really are and that you can have a non gory T or M rated game the arguments will be better,but what I do think a more light hearted approach can be great too,especially if it's well made.Also the T level of dark would be just fine,it's not too gory and it would give access to new way of storytelling that a child serie will never have,yeah it would give access to the notion of LORE,something even tlos lacked and needed.I want to be part of a deep story and a huge world,I want to be interested to know what happen next.Sure it's a kids series and it always was but it could be so much more,the closest to what I think would be the divinity franchise or in general D&D and some mmos.Maybe that famous Spyro fansite that was so popular and great in the past is no longer the one I first joined,maybe I m the last remaining fan from that era...maybe being 20 make me too old for the current fandom...
---
Life may be harsh in such a dark year, happy new year we said an eternity ago it seem now, but it's far from over, we will survive.
#10 Posted: 18:57:22 26/06/2016
Are you trying to insert yourself into the conversation again, fyra?
---
"Soon all of Skylands will tremble at the awesome might of Malefor, the Undead Dragon King!"
#11 Posted: 19:02:48 26/06/2016
Not this time.I want here to give clue that it could work if they know what to do and how it can be made better by comparing with other fantasy franchises and give me one reason why lore can be a bad thing,I just want also to give back the spyro name in the skylanders title and ok...I m starting to feel like I m the oldest here...did you ever played any T or M rated games?
---
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3872
#12 Posted: 19:07:45 26/06/2016
Quote: fyra
Not this time.I want here to give clue that it could work if they know what to do and how it can be made better by comparing with other fantasy franchises and give me one reason why lore can be a bad thing,I just want also to give back the spyro name in the skylanders title and ok...I m starting to feel like I m the oldest here...did you ever played any T or M rated games?

Well, Liking T or M games has nothing to do with being the oldest. I'm sure there are a lot of older users here. It's just that unlike other users here, you have edge'y tases in games.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#13 Posted: 19:11:30 26/06/2016
Eh, if you want a darker story look at TLOS. It tried to be ~edgy~ and everything, but to me ended up feeling a little cheesy at times. That's just my opinion though, and I still enjoy those games regardless.
#14 Posted: 19:35:51 26/06/2016
Hey I don't like edgy stuff,I just find it a bit stupid snd not a way for good storytelling.I like when it's darker but if you prefer I prefer the term complexity,being darker in the good way can make that,for example the elder scroll,divinity franchise,ff franchise are dark but not edgy.Why do you think dark mean edgy.Many franchise are not edgy but can get dark like the kingdom hearts franchise.Ok I do understand for Skylanders it would not work but for Spyro,it would perfectly work if it's done well less like a edgy story with generic plotlines but more like an expansion of the universe and the story behind it.Think of it like a huge tale unfolding before your eyes like a great book series...a series where you want to buy the next game to know what happen next.Sorry,I pick my games for the same reason I enjoyed reading.
---
#15 Posted: 19:57:17 26/06/2016
If you're looking for complexity of story, maybe the Spyro and Skylanders franchises are not what you're looking for. I find that gameplay and overall 'fun-ness' are also important when considering what game to buy.

Saying that, I'd love to see something more than the annual "Kaos has a new idea to destroy the Skylanders" plot lines we've been getting since 2011. At least the classic Spyro games had the decency to incorporate new villains into each release.
#16 Posted: 19:59:44 26/06/2016
It would be nice if they added Malefor as a main villain. Would that satisfy darker story needs?
---
I draw stuff.
#17 Posted: 20:07:57 26/06/2016
Absolutly
---
#18 Posted: 20:20:03 26/06/2016
Quote: Bolt
It would be nice if they added Malefor as a main villain. Would that satisfy darker story needs?

Except Keybash is talking about actual character deaths and the like.
---
#19 Posted: 20:22:46 26/06/2016
Ah, okay. Is this from a previous discussion that I don't know about?
---
I draw stuff.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#20 Posted: 20:23:17 26/06/2016
I'd be okay with a "Vile Villain, Saccharine Show" scenario, but it seems clear that Kaos is destined to be the Skylanders equivalent of Bowser or Dr. Wily (always the Big Bad or Final Boss, no matter what happens). The games go for a comedic, "Saturday morning cartoon" sense of storytelling and that's fine considering what they are.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#21 Posted: 20:26:05 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
It's an E10+ Rated game. So Why not? Skylanders would be praised for it's story, Superchargers was not even dark.
#22 Posted: 20:26:18 26/06/2016
Quote: HIR
I'd be okay with a "Vile Villain, Saccharine Show" scenario, but it seems clear that Kaos is destined to be the Skylanders equivalent of Bowser or Dr. Wily (always the Big Bad or Final Boss, no matter what happens). The games go for a comedic, "Saturday morning cartoon" sense of storytelling and that's fine considering what they are.

Yeah, this is what I mean. The franchise doesn't seem to take itself seriously, so an appearance from Malefor would probably end up trying to be comedic, and I think this would taint his character. Return of the Dragon King was a perfect farewell, which is why I don't think we'll see him again smilie
#23 Posted: 20:28:36 26/06/2016
Quote: HIR

Dunno, even he has his moments.

(yes the first seconds of the song are Night on Bald Mountain)

SuperChargers is also proof that the game CAN take itself seriously, it's just that they do it in moments rather than the entire setting. It's bone-chilling when the Academy is attacked by the Sky Eater and the music is slows down to a crawl that makes it just a quiet buzzing noise while everything goes wrong for the team. There's no joke(helped by the fact Flynn is conveniently away), there's no funny parts, the game just stops to show you that there ARE consequences.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:32:39 26/06/2016 by Bifrost
#24 Posted: 20:34:15 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
^That's the only scene of the game that is good.

Really why people get so sensitive by a little of blood in a videogame...
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:35:33 26/06/2016 by KeybasHedKey
#25 Posted: 20:41:55 26/06/2016
Quote: Bolt
Ah, okay. Is this from a previous discussion that I don't know about?

Yes, and a lot more.
---
#26 Posted: 20:42:25 26/06/2016
I don't think it would matter if it was any mature game ... but Skylanders is sort of aimed at the kiddos and I don't know how they'd react to bloody violence. :I
---
I draw stuff.
#27 Posted: 20:45:53 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Skylanders storywise needs to grow up. Imaginators will have the stupidest story so far.
#28 Posted: 20:49:18 26/06/2016
Quote: KeybasHedKey
Skylanders storywise needs to grow up. Imaginators will have the stupidest story so far.

And this is where it turns into yet another baseless debate.

All because Skylanders doesn't have darker elements that YOU want, it automatically makes the games "stupid" to you.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:49:49 26/06/2016 by Aura24
#29 Posted: 20:53:46 26/06/2016

If you have so many good ideas relating to a 'darker' storyline, why don't you write the plot line instead? You'll see that it's hard to please everyone - attempt to please a mature fan like yourself, and Acti could be losing some of the younger fans that the franchise is built on.
#30 Posted: 20:57:18 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Really you people like to restrict Kids from Gore,Death,etc. Don't you? Kids need to see there heroes are not eternal,they are not always going to win,etc.
#31 Posted: 20:58:07 26/06/2016
Darker elements could benefit the series if it wants to keep its older audience, like maybe a deeper / more serious story other than another one of Kaos' schemes. But certainly not to the point of blood and death. If you want a game like that I guess you'll have to look elsewhere. Sorry dude. :I
---
I draw stuff.
#32 Posted: 21:01:25 26/06/2016
Really you people like to restrict Kids from Gore,Death,etc. Don't you? Kids need to see there heroes are not eternal,they are not always going to win,etc.

I don't know what kind of philosophy you go by, but children do not need to be introduced to your type of dark elements of death, gore and blood so early in their lives that they can get traumatized from.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 21:01:56 26/06/2016 by Aura24
#33 Posted: 21:02:10 26/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Really everything has to be dumb down for kids. Let them watch Mature stuff, Skylanders will be praised for it's story and not see that is dumb and too kiddie.
#34 Posted: 21:03:39 26/06/2016
Really everything has to be dumb down for kids. Let them watch Mature stuff, Skylanders will be praised for it's story and not see that is dumb and too kiddie.

That's your opinion.

Stop forcing your opinion around.
---
#35 Posted: 21:07:39 26/06/2016
I had a nagging feeling the back of my mind I'd jinx the trend by pointing out how predictable this is, but nope, here it is playing out exactly as it always does.
---
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me