Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > All Purpose EA Originals (Fe, Sea of Solitude, & A Way Out)
Page 1 of 1
All Purpose EA Originals (Fe, Sea of Solitude, & A Way Out)
DS D Yellow Sparx Gems: 1565
#1 Posted: 17:38:12 17/06/2016 | Topic Creator
[notice]does this tag work? Whatever. THERE'S A NEWLY ANNOUNCED GAME BEING MADE BY THE DEVELOPERS OF BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS CALLED "A WAY OUT!!"[/notice]

You know how Fox has Searchlight for indie movies like Juno? Imagine that, but in gaming...yeah, that's EA Originals in a nutshell.

------------------

Current EA Originals games: Fe, Sea Of Solitude, and A Way Out

A Way Out

[User Posted Image]

A Way Out makes me believe that this is how co-op gameplay should be done: an entire package for two whole humans to experience together. Even if the dynamic between the two characters is wildly different, it'd be the thing that would make the game all the more exciting. I feel like I want to see these two characters actually work together to become friends, from people who just want each other out of their lives because they couldn't give two nickels to people who just ultimately would have the biggest beer fest of they wanted to.

https://www.ea.com/games/a-way-out

Fe makes me think of Journey meets Ori & the Blind Forest and Spyro, and you know, good on Zoink Games. It's already coming to look like a great game for people who want Spyro without Spyro.

[User Posted Image]
http://www.fe-game.com/

So here, you're playing as a girl named Kay (did I spell that right?) who turned into some kind of hybrid of a monster and humanoid after straying too much into a sea of darkness, and she's co-existing with all of these creatures who they have implied have turned into monsters, but you're also finding out what happened to all of them, and that they will attack you at some times and leave you alone at other times. The hints are all underwater.

They say you can rise and lower the sea level as well, seemingly to give yourself leverage or allow yourself access to sunken areas. I guess it's somewhat like Mario meets a dark but cynical Bermuda Triangle? Seems a bit fishy (punnerific, dude), but hey, I'm down for this.

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]

[User Posted Image]
http://seaofsolitude.com/

------------------

EA Originals was made in the spirit of publishing Coldwood's Unravel (still luv u, Yarn Man ;3), and the promise with this program is to search for a few indie games every year. When they find one they see potential for, they offer the indie company a deal to have their game funded, marketed, and published under the circumstances that the developer itself is the only one who makes profit. I'm still not sure if EA's going to own any of their properties, because they didn't specify that, but the developers are let go at the end of each EA Originals project, so...I guess it can be used for good.

=========

(I'll update the banner to have A Way Out soon)

http://ea-originals.deviantart.com
---
Yo, DEADASS?? BANANAS ARE DEAD???

(Former admin of TapL's Server.)
Edited 9 times - Last edited at 00:50:25 13/06/2017 by DS D
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9016
#2 Posted: 17:56:19 17/06/2016
...I'm not positive about this right now. Why? Because EA tried something like this before. The EA Partners program to be specific. Most of the games that came out of it were largely unsuccessful and led to EA swallowing up some of it's supposed "partners". In addition, it took an anticipated game (Overstrike) and through terrible focus testing turned it into the boring, lackluster, one-dimensional FUSE.

So I don't see this turning out for the better unless EA does nothing but market the games. And even then, EA is not very good with those decisions (see the articles stating their execs wanted to turn down Battlefield 1 for something more like Infinite Warfare).
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#3 Posted: 02:26:52 18/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: HIR
...I'm not positive about this right now. Why? Because EA tried something like this before. The EA Partners program to be specific. Most of the games that came out of it were largely unsuccessful and led to EA swallowing up some of it's supposed "partners". In addition, it took an anticipated game (Overstrike) and through terrible focus testing turned it into the boring, lackluster, one-dimensional FUSE.

So I don't see this turning out for the better unless EA does nothing but market the games. And even then, EA is not very good with those decisions (see the articles stating their execs wanted to turn down Battlefield 1 for something more like Infinite Warfare).

Quote: DS D
...they offer the indie company a deal to have their game funded, marketed, and published under the circumstances that the developer itself is the only one who makes profit.... the developers are let go at the end of each EA Originals project...

And I'm aware of the thing about Fuse and the fact how Andrew Wilson originally turned BF1 down because of him thinking that kids may not know about WW1 because of most big shooters being sci-fi shooters these days and how they'd mostly only be interested in those sci-fi shooters. They thankfully have Titanfall 2 coming out to satisfy that demand on their behalf.

Seeing how Fe is another indie game seemingly made with heart though, I'm willing to give this new initiative a shot. Even though Unravel wasn't under this program, EA handled it well enough to be well-received, which is why they made this new initiative to begin with. You have to make mistakes to learn from them, you know, and EA's one of those companies that's trying to embrace feedback as much as they can these days. Just look at their Twitter replies.

Quote: Sesshomaru75
Fe looks really pretty~ I'm pretty excited for it, tbh.

Ikr?
---

StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#4 Posted: 10:27:28 18/06/2016
Unraveled was poorly design as a video game, so I doubt Fe will be any better. EA is going to do this yearly. A nervous Scandinavian guy is gonna be up on stage to show off some emotional indie game about love and communication and all that stuff, followed by a sudden blast of music (Danger Zone for Plants vs Zombies 2 and the Star Wars theme). Eventually, the ones of EA Originals will be chewed up and spat out by EA just like with Bullfog, Origin Systems, Pandemic, Maxis and soon Visceral Games.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#5 Posted: 15:27:40 18/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Unravel's at least a better game than anything EA's shoved out in a while. I loved playing it, even if some of the levels were a bit confusing because of the overdone graphics (you gotta put an emphasis on nature with this type of game if you want Yarnie to go through nature itself, for one).

But really, about the studios thing....do you know what happened to RedOctane (Guitar Hero), Neversoft (Tony Hawk), Radical Entertainment (Simpsons Hit & Run, Prototype, and Crash Tag Team Racing), Bizarre Creations (Blur and Geometry Wars 1 & 2), and Sierra (first company to make CD PC games and made King's Quest)? Even though Sierra was revived as an indie games publisher, it's come to the point where they're not really acknowledged anymore. EA's not the only one who sucks up companies, you know.

And really, it could be worse...it could be Konami.
---

StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#6 Posted: 00:03:45 19/06/2016
Activision and Konami are just as scummy. Don't get me wrong but I'm just saying don't get excited because any promising game and developer under EA will be chewed and spat out because that's the EA way.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#7 Posted: 20:49:47 21/06/2016
When I saw the title I was like "wait, Fire Emblem isn't an indie game or owned by EA"
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
Bolt Hunter Gems: 6135
#8 Posted: 20:53:22 21/06/2016
^ Haha. XD
Wouldn't it have been FE then, not Fe?

But, this game looks really interesting and I wouldn't mind getting it! The overall style just looks really pretty.
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
#9 Posted: 20:00:15 22/06/2016 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

Source: http://fav.me/da65duv
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:05:02 07/10/2016 by DS D
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#10 Posted: 06:10:59 27/06/2016
Fe looks like an interesting title i might play it. Where is coming out? On Console,VR, whatever!?
#11 Posted: 19:56:15 27/06/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: KeybasHedKey
Fe looks like an interesting title i might play it. Where is coming out? On Console,VR, whatever!?

This game is most likely going to be for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (Origin). I unfortunately don't have any of the former two, but I now have more than a dozen games on Origin thanks to On the House. Hell, they actually gaveaway Need for Speed: Most Wanted at one point. You should've been there, man. smilie
---

#12 Posted: 17:03:28 07/10/2016 | Topic Creator
I seriously wish I can find more fan art on deviantART, but here's a little something else to let you guys know that the game's still happening:

[User Posted Image]

Damn thing looks awesome, eh?

And this: http://crashlanded.co.uk/unrav...stery-of-fe.php
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:06:02 07/10/2016 by DS D
#13 Posted: 06:14:43 16/01/2017 | Topic Creator
EA's collaborated with JO-MEI GAMES to bring you Sea Of Solitude! I was kind of bummed that they didn't show any footage of that game during the Switch presentation, considering that the deal was struck before the event, but hey, they're broadening their indie space, so it's a...well, we'll see if it's a win in the future. smilie
---

Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:53:04 16/01/2017 by DS D
#14 Posted: 07:22:13 16/01/2017 | Topic Creator
Hey, check it out! I just made a banner for my deviantART group that I forgot to enable member-auto join for this whole time!

But you can click here if you don't want to scroll back up to see the banner.
---

Windumup Emerald Sparx Gems: 3217
#15 Posted: 14:03:22 19/01/2017
I thought this was about FE again

wow
---
Ugh I wish my body wasn't a mess
#16 Posted: 00:49:21 13/06/2017 | Topic Creator
Prison break simulator 2018 hype smilie
---

Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me