Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > US 2016 presidential election and general US political discussion thread
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
US 2016 presidential election and general US political discussion thread [CLOSED]
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#51 Posted: 06:38:21 04/05/2016
Quote: spyro fan 8
Quote: HIR

That's racist.

No, it's not. American is a nationality. Caucasian is a race. But that would include white people living in the entirety of the world, not just America. His comments may not be racist, but they are xenophobic. I fail to see how a guy like that would protect our country. It is far more likely that he will alienate our current allies, and anger countries that already hate us.

And frankly, it's not the terrorists the average American citizen needs protection from. It's other Americans. Go look up the comparisons between the number of Americans who have died from terrorist attacks and the number who have been killed in a homicide/mass shooting by an American since roughly the turn of the millennium. Actually, you don't have to. Here, I saved you the trouble: http://www.politifact.com/trut...and-terrorism-/

You will find we Americans are far more efficient at killing our fellow citizens than the terrorists are.

I was saying that out of irony, since Islam isn't a race either. The issue isn't whether or not Americans are killing more Americans than extremists are, it's preventing any more needless violence and targeting a huge contributor of violence (namely, the political ideology of radical Islam). But I digress. We can continue this elsewhere if you want, but I do not want this topic to be a topic of debate, but rather discussion and exchanging of opinions, which are all equally valid here. I helped fan this flame so I will go back and delete a few of my replies

Good job skirting around my question. Would a Canadian Muslim be or not be banned from entering the country because they are Muslim and "all Muslims are psychotic murderers and rapists?"
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:03:20 04/05/2016 by QueenChrysalis
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#52 Posted: 06:55:13 04/05/2016
Quote: QueenChrysalis

No, it's not. American is a nationality. Caucasian is a race. But that would include white people living in the entirety of the world, not just America. His comments may not be racist, but they are xenophobic. I fail to see how a guy like that would protect our country. It is far more likely that he will alienate our current allies, and anger countries that already hate us.

And frankly, it's not the terrorists the average American citizen needs protection from. It's other Americans. Go look up the comparisons between the number of Americans who have died from terrorist attacks and the number who have been killed in a homicide/mass shooting by an American since roughly the turn of the millennium. Actually, you don't have to. Here, I saved you the trouble: http://www.politifact.com/trut...and-terrorism-/

You will find we Americans are far more efficient at killing our fellow citizens than the terrorists are.

I was saying that out of irony, since Islam isn't a race either. The issue isn't whether or not Americans are killing more Americans than extremists are, it's preventing any more needless violence and targeting a huge contributor of violence (namely, the political ideology of radical Islam). But I digress. We can continue this elsewhere if you want, but I do not want this topic to be a topic of debate, but rather discussion and exchanging of opinions, which are all equally valid here. I helped fan this flame so I will go back and delete a few of my replies

Good job skirting around my question. Would a Canadian Muslim be or not be banned from entering the country because they are Muslim and all Muslims are psychotic murderers and rapists?

Can we make a rule to word things nicely here or get out?
I thought this was supposed to be a political topic where we casually debate politics, not insult people for their beliefs, regardless of what they are.
#53 Posted: 07:03:58 04/05/2016
I forgot to put that last part in quotation marks because it is what people like Trump think.
#54 Posted: 07:08:03 04/05/2016
I forgot to put that last part in quotation marks because it is what people like Trump think.

Now I feel like you're just actively trying to piss people off. :/
#55 Posted: 07:18:05 04/05/2016
So it's NOT what people like Trump think? I'm just looking for answers, here.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:21:07 04/05/2016 by QueenChrysalis
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#56 Posted: 10:31:38 04/05/2016
Goddamnit, Cruz is out. Now I pretty much have nobody left in the race who's worth my support.
spyro fan 8 Ripto Gems: 2948
#57 Posted: 11:35:54 04/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
Quote: mega spyro
Ted Cruz just dropped out.

Thank god. >.>;

Quote: shroom boom
if trump becomes president he will start ww3

That's a little bit of a stretch. I was talking to CAV about this exact thing earlier, the congress will likely be divided enough to block the more radical ideas. (i.e. the Great Wall of Mexico). Plus, he'll have presidential advisors if he does get elected. I don't think they'd let him say anything stupid enough to cause a nuclear holocaust.

Quote: Underian

bit presumptuous.

I don't mean to imply that she will be the nominee, Bernie still has a chance (in fact, he won Indiana today). I was just saying that's the way I hope it will play out.

Still, it's probably a very slim one. Isn't Clinton beating him by a lot still?

Yeah, but I don't want to count anybody out until they're mathematically eliminated or drop out. I want to try and be fair, even if they have a slim chance.

Good job skirting around my question. Would a Canadian Muslim be or not be banned from entering the country because they are Muslim and "all Muslims are psychotic murderers and rapists?"

Well yeah, until we can vet them properly. I don't necessarily agree with that position (as I said, I think it should be location based, not religion based), but they would be temporarily blocked from coming here until that system is implemented.

Edit: and no, I do not think all Muslims are murderers and rapists. That would be absurd
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:37:35 04/05/2016 by spyro fan 8
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#58 Posted: 13:10:20 04/05/2016
Quote: ZapNorris
hey

let's not take the only "legal" politics topic in the whole forum to ****

again
#59 Posted: 13:13:19 04/05/2016 | Topic Creator
hey

again

I don't think it's too bad. Things on this forum have been a lot worse. Worst case scenario we just continue the discussion on GB/PM and leave the topic open for more recent discussion.

Ok on another note: are there any Kasich supporters here?
Carmelita Fox Prismatic Sparx Gems: 12141
#60 Posted: 14:22:52 04/05/2016
hey

again

The topic in it's current state isn't bad compared to your typical political discussion. It is very hard to keep political topics completely nice without it being an echo chamber circlejerk of "YES I AGREE WITH YOU :)".
Bimle Ripto Gems: 135
#61 Posted: 15:08:54 04/05/2016

Well Islam is a religion founded on terrorism, so thats not untrue in a way. I have read all of Sahih al-bukhari but not the other sunnah hadith collections like sahih muslim and the 4 other stuff, but i have searched up that in sahih muslim muhammad is supposed to have said "I have been victorious through terror" so it doesnt seem divine victory or negotiation, but pure terrorism, or the fact that even if we ignore that muslims wont use violence, they still believe islamic law is the only beneficial law in a society as the hadiths and the quran states other than it is of no use.

Currently reading Shia hadith called "Kitab Al-Kafi", almost done. Then i can study catechism, yay.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:09:50 04/05/2016 by Bimle
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#62 Posted: 16:08:49 04/05/2016
Kasich has now dropped out of the race.

Edit: He's allegedly dropping out. He hasn't officially stated it yet.
---
Dead
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:12:25 04/05/2016 by mega spyro
#63 Posted: 17:34:53 04/05/2016

GOD PLEASE NO
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#64 Posted: 22:15:24 04/05/2016

GOD PLEASE NO

Why no?
#65 Posted: 01:12:20 05/05/2016
Quote: Badwolfmichael

GOD PLEASE NO

Why no?

that means trump pretty much has the nomination
Hillary pretty much has the nomination

america is ded
#66 Posted: 01:17:55 05/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Nah, America is about to be great again! Or Hillary could still win, or Bernie. Not gonna jump to conclusions :) I'm voting Trump though
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#67 Posted: 01:26:44 05/05/2016

GOD PLEASE NO

Why no?

america is ded

I thought Trump is the only one still running? Doesn't that mean he has the republican nomination, or is there still someone running I'm forgetting?
---
Dead
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#68 Posted: 01:38:18 05/05/2016
I support Trump because of his policies. I know that's odd to say, you'd think that's why anyone would vote for a candidate, but there are some people who are voting for Trump because he's not politically correct and because he comes off as a tough guy. Now, those two things are a factor in why I like him, but it's not my main reason. Also, the media lies. It twists things and puts words in his mouth. I'll post a video below showing how they do that. I like that he's anti-war, an anti-interventionist, tough on illegal immigration, wants to give states more power over their education, wants to cut all interest on federal student loans to 0, is socially liberal (doesn't care what bathroom trans people use or if gays wanna get married, also doesn't care if people do weed and will leave the decision to the states), and many other things. He's one of the most successful businessmen in the world and will do wonders negotiating deals with other countries, and with congress. An example is the wall. Will there be a wall? Probabaly not, he'll compromise and tighten security, penalize businesses who employ illegal immigrants, make it harder for them to get on welfare, etc. Illegal immigration is costing the U.S. too much money, and too many drugs are flooding into country. But anyway, yeah. Trump even admitted in a NYT interview that the wall, as well as everything else, is negotiable. He's not some far-right teapartier, he's actually very moderate, and will work with both republicans and democrats.

Here's the video showing the truth about some of Donald's political stances and quotes. It's not to make you want to support him, just for you to be informed. This is one of the videos that got me investigating and really researching these issues and realizing Trump is the candidate I wanted to support

Sorry for the delay in reply. I've been a bit busy over the past few days and to be honest I still haven't been able to sit down for the full video, and won't be able to for another day or two.

That said I do realize that Trump is largely a moderate in most policies. I recall seeing a photo gallery grouping all the presidential nominees based on their social policy stances (this is back when there were like 6 Democratic nominees and 1930 Republicans), and Trump was usually the middle ground compared to those on the far left (Sanders) and far right (Carson iirc).

It's why I was never quite certain why people loved to pick on him specifically or call him the worst nominee out there. I always thought Cruz was far worse since while Trump's ideas of walls and discrimination based on religion are outlandish, they probably would never get by a divided Congress. Cruz's ideas on the other hand were more rational and harmful, and had a higher chance of getting past should he be elected (repelling the gay marriage laws, other religious practices that would contradict separation of church and state, etc.).
No offense to Morris intended. I think it's established him and I are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

That said there's a couple questions I have. If they're answered in the video I apologize and I'll look it over when I soonest can:

1. How is he anti-war? In that political ad (that I'm pretty sure is still legitimate) he claims he will cut the head off ISIS (and take their oil). That sounds like an act of war. Additionally in one interview clip that was found in a John Oliver video analyzing Trump, he outright claims the best way to deal with ISIS is to "take out their families", which is a war crime.

2. He's tough on illegal immigration and no doubt illegal immigration is a problem in the country, but personally I think we should be more focused on getting these illegal immigrants on the path to becoming legal and documented, rather than give them the boot and tell them they're not allowed back. Trump and many of his supporters are in the mindset that most are drug dealers and rapists and while there are some who come here and commit crimes or make their living through illegal measures like drugs, most I imagine are just trying to make a new and better life for their families and themselves. America is supposed to be a land of opportunity and personally I believe we should embrace that and help those who want it rather than shun them out and act like it's only for us (of which unless you're Native American, your family were immigrants themselves).
Immigrants are usually trying to make a better life for their children than they would have back in their native country. To me it's like the argument for social security/welfare in general; yeah you have bad apples that abuse the system and do nothing or commit crimes, but that doesn't mean you should cut it for everyone, including those who are using it to provide for themselves and family.

3. I'm interested in finding out about his plan to cut student loan interest to 0. See, for me this election, probably the biggest issue I'm paying mind to is college loans/financial aid, as it directly applies to me (someone who is being denied any financial aid because they believe my single father earns too much based on an inflated income he got two years ago). In fact while I agree with Sanders on nearly every issue, probably the biggest thing that makes him my choice is his hopes to get free public college for all, both two and four-year colleges (many wonder what his plan could be, but I would imagine closing up loopholes to allow the top 1% to get away with tax evasion would be the best and most logical method; don't even have to raise taxes on them). And while I don't really trust her, Clinton also seems intent to at least get free two-year community college. Trump, to my knowledge, has no plans for any of that.

4. While leaving things up to the states is admirable I think at some points we need to have the federal government step in and call the shots. Serving jail time and having a spot on your record for possessing marijuana for personal use is ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer dollars, and I know many states won't budge on that unless the federal government told them to change it (like they did with gay marriage).

5. He's a very successful businessman yes (though he's also been in massive debt before). And the theory that he could help the economy is well founded I'll give it that. But I have a fear that because he's a successful businessman and in that rich upper echelon, he may try to implement policies that benefit the 1% and rich groups, while doing little to nothing for us middle and lower class citizens. Is this a concern I should have, or has he already stated intentions to help the little guy out?
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#69 Posted: 01:41:16 05/05/2016
Sanders, if I were that age at this point. Hillary isn't going to win from an objective standpoint as good as she'd be for foreign relations, Cruz dropped out, and Trump has ran as a Democrat many times (therefore meaning there's no true Republican candidate for this election), so why is he now getting the attention now that he's running as a Republican? Also,
DON'T READ IF YOU LIKE TRUMP
if anyone thinks Trump would actually be a good president, you must be insane.

Actually, WW4. WW3 will start as soon as he is elected, and will last 7 years, with WW4 beginning right after before he leaves office, being the nuclear end-all.

This topic has already frustrated me with most of its posts. But, as I said previously...

People should stop talking politics in the US, period. News outlets should just report what our politicians do, not commentate on it, and move on. And the public should keep their opinions to themselves and speak with their votes... assuming they actually do so in the first place.

This, in part.
Bernie is the only appealing candidate. Everyone else either has close minded views or needs to be arrested.

This, 100%
Quote: Cynderfan507
Hillary just isn't trustworthy.

People who you claim to be "not trustworthy" are just the kind of people who are best for foreign relations.
Edited 3 times - Last edited at 01:44:26 05/05/2016 by weebbby
#70 Posted: 01:53:17 05/05/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: weebbby
Sanders, if I were that age at this point. Hillary isn't going to win from an objective standpoint as good as she'd be for foreign relations, Cruz dropped out, and Trump has ran as a Democrat many times (therefore meaning there's no true Republican candidate for this election), so why is he now getting the attention now that he's running as a Republican? Also,
DON'T READ IF YOU LIKE TRUMP
if anyone thinks Trump would actually be a good president, you must be insane.

Actually, WW4. WW3 will start as soon as he is elected, and will last 7 years, with WW4 beginning right after before he leaves office, being the nuclear end-all.

This topic has already frustrated me with most of its posts. But, as I said previously...

People should stop talking politics in the US, period. News outlets should just report what our politicians do, not commentate on it, and move on. And the public should keep their opinions to themselves and speak with their votes... assuming they actually do so in the first place.

This, in part.
Bernie is the only appealing candidate. Everyone else either has close minded views or needs to be arrested.

This, 100%
Quote: Cynderfan507
Hillary just isn't trustworthy.

People who you claim to be "not trustworthy" are just the kind of people who are best for foreign relations.

Nah, I like Trump. I'm not triggered though :p this is what the topic is for, don't be afraid to express an opinion you have as long as you're respectful to others as well (which you have been)

@CAV: thank you for the well thought out reply. I have a lot to do before finals and there is a lot to reply to there, so I will not get to it tomorrow. But I do appreciate the civility and will reply in full tomorrow.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 01:55:55 05/05/2016 by spyro fan 8
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#71 Posted: 16:09:49 05/05/2016
Quote: CAV
5. He's a very successful businessman yes (though he's also been in massive debt before). And the theory that he could help the economy is well founded I'll give it that. But I have a fear that because he's a successful businessman and in that rich upper echelon, he may try to implement policies that benefit the 1% and rich groups, while doing little to nothing for us middle and lower class citizens. Is this a concern I should have, or has he already stated intentions to help the little guy out?

According to economists, the people who are celebrating his economic ideas are likely to be the ones who take the heaviest hits if his policies become law.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
LevanJess Emerald Sparx Gems: 3516
#72 Posted: 02:04:49 06/05/2016
I know I'm a bit late with the political compass posting, but here.

[User Posted Image]
---
but i love it all smooth
#73 Posted: 13:39:54 06/05/2016

Why no?

america is ded

I thought Trump is the only one still running? Doesn't that mean he has the republican nomination, or is there still someone running I'm forgetting?

If I recall correctly, it's all up to what happens at the Republican National Convention
Mrmorrises Platinum Sparx Gems: 7027
#74 Posted: 01:03:38 07/05/2016
I recently started finding out more about Libertarian Austin Petersen; he has a lot of great insight and understanding of how our government was constitutionally designed to function.
DrobotMewTwo Yellow Sparx Gems: 1852
#75 Posted: 12:04:32 05/06/2016
Even though I like Republican values more, I hate all of them. Here is why:
Trump
The guy is a non-conservative leading a conservative party. He is also a loudmouth who is incredibly bad at public speaking. His acts of stupidity are tearing the party apart. Also, he will get impeached before he builds a wall.
Clinton
Clinton is a crook, a lair, and a criminal. By showing she will break the law, she shows she doesn't care about national security! She also lies left and right, and she would have been arrested if she was anyone else! But no, of course Clinton gets the easy way out.
Sanders
This guy supports socialism. The government always has had too much power, and people don't need anymore taxes. This value is unconstitutional. I refuse to support someone who values in more power for our already "amazing" government!
All in All
Go die 2016 election. Also, healthcare is never free; it will be payed for via the money of people who don't want to pay for it. You spend extra money. Also, if college is free, why would it be so unique? Ordinary, untrained teachers would come in. It would basically be a thirteenth grade.
---
" C'mon, Ortensia. Doesn't everybody deserve a second chance? "- Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 12:09:58 05/06/2016 by DrobotMewTwo
#76 Posted: 05:34:32 10/06/2016
Can someone give me a legitimate breakdown between Trump and Clinton, preferably with the pros and cons of voting for either one?
The time's gonna come when I need to pick a side and I honestly can't tell which one's worse.
#77 Posted: 17:40:47 15/06/2016
[User Posted Image]
- - -
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me