Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Idle Chatter > What's the difference between piracy and libary?
Page 1 of 1
What's the difference between piracy and libary? [CLOSED]
Bimle Ripto Gems: 135
#1 Posted: 12:03:23 30/04/2016 | Topic Creator
There is one thing i dont quite understand. The library has games and movies (Including books obviously) that you can borrow without paying. Now the library will likely buy one copy of that movie and it will be displayed for borrowing, once i am done i dont have to buy it whether it is a movie or a video game. So if many can borrow without paying in a library, then how is that any different from piracy. In consideration that library is legal while piracy isn't?.

Just kinda curious to your view points on it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:03:49 30/04/2016 by Bimle
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#2 Posted: 12:28:25 30/04/2016
Keyword is borrow. Piracy it's yours forever without paying a cent, while in libraries it's going back or you pay a fee. The subject is a lot deeper than that but it's the key difference.
Then again, when books get worn out enough libraries just give them to one last person unless they're super rare,so idk.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Faust Blue Sparx Gems: 700
#3 Posted: 13:38:47 30/04/2016
What makes the difference is whether you have been legally authorized to use it or not. It's not illegal as long as you have been given permission by the creator.

Libraries have the permission to do so, because they are under legal agreements which allow the author to agree on how their copyrighted work is distributed.
#4 Posted: 14:22:10 30/04/2016 | Topic Creator
The typical arguments copyright owners make is that if people pirate then they will make less money. But doesn't the library do that too? So i see a flaw in that argument. Although one should always support someone if they like their product i think.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10000
#5 Posted: 14:37:09 30/04/2016
That argument is flawed to begin with, just like Let's Plays and Reviews taking money away instead of the obvious, getting people to discover a franchise.
It's a real problem in countries in Brazil where everything original is expensive, but where the real product is easily avaliable, people will usually pirate to discover it for themselves then support the creator by getting an original copy or buying extras(soundtrack, merch). At least that's what I hear from people, because I do live in Brazil and kids just have a compulsion to pirate everything here, even free phone apps or Steam games.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
#6 Posted: 15:20:53 30/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: Bifrost
That argument is flawed to begin with, just like Let's Plays and Reviews taking money away instead of the obvious, getting people to discover a franchise.
It's a real problem in countries in Brazil where everything original is expensive, but where the real product is easily avaliable, people will usually pirate to discover it for themselves then support the creator by getting an original copy or buying extras(soundtrack, merch). At least that's what I hear from people, because I do live in Brazil and kids just have a compulsion to pirate everything here, even free phone apps or Steam games.

So the argument is that borrowing from Library atleast creates a certain interest, but piracy is just plain taking something and companies dont benefit from that if i am right?. Makes sense i guess.

I live in Norway btw, it is not considered illegal here to stream contents, like movies etc even if the site isnt granted permission, but it is however illegal to download and upload copyrighted content. Its interesting i guess smilie
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:22:29 30/04/2016 by Bimle
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me