Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Are people artifically depressed
Page 1 of 1
Are people artifically depressed [CLOSED]
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8470
#1 Posted: 17:09:11 10/04/2016 | Topic Creator
Are people truly diagnosed with depression like they say or do they want to feel special?
This is a triggering topic.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9252
#2 Posted: 17:18:16 10/04/2016
I'd say that at least a considerable part of people (especially young people) who claim to be depressed simply googled "depression symptoms" and decided that they fit themselves perfectly.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that all people who diagnose themselves do it to feel special or to get attention. I'm sure there are those who do actually believe that they are depressed, but who - in reality - are just suffering from a low self-esteem or heartache.
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12122
#3 Posted: 17:25:01 10/04/2016
I've been professionally diagnosed with depression and I don't feel special at all. I feel useless instead.

In fact, I don't like to mention my depression when talking to others, and I've noticed others who were diagnosed like to keep their condition unknown from most.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:26:33 10/04/2016 by Spyro Fanatic
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#4 Posted: 17:46:45 10/04/2016
I was diagnosed with severe depression, there are days I literally hate myself, so no I do not feel special at all. Try living thinking that you're useless, worthless and stupid. Why the **** would I feel special about that?
thumper Ripto Gems: 3519
#5 Posted: 18:08:04 10/04/2016
Quote: Cynderfan507
Quote: thumper
I was diagnosed with severe depression, there are days I literally hate myself, so no I do not feel special at all. Try living thinking that you're useless, worthless and stupid. Why the **** would I feel special about that?

They aren't saying you or anyone who does actually have it are trying to feel special, they're saying the ones who fake it are trying to feel special.
And honestly, those who fake it must have a problem. That problem being that they're unbelievably starved for attention that they'll do anything to appear important, special, or different to others.

I know however I was trying to say that depression is not a reason to feel special, that's all. Using depression to get attention is rather sad cause when it's discovered they were only looking for attention, that attention will come as a negative attention.
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#6 Posted: 18:15:42 10/04/2016
My actually diagnosed disorder is actually a joke.
Bumblebunnii Yellow Sparx Gems: 1474
#7 Posted: 18:41:25 10/04/2016
I honestly hate when people say that if you haven't been diagnosed with depression, you don't know.
Yes, there are people who fake having depression and other mental illnesses to get attention or for other reasons. But that isn't the majority.

With that said though, depression is the only illness mental or otherwise that you can self diagnose. I don't believe you can self diagnose cancer, autism, etc.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#8 Posted: 19:05:09 10/04/2016
Depends, if the person is actually trying to hard to be edgy and cool, then yeah. I'm not going to take them seriously. If the person actually shows signs of being depressed without a proper diagnosis, then yeah, I'll believe you.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#9 Posted: 19:09:29 10/04/2016
I have been never officially diagnosed but I had a psychiatrist that said it was a possibility.

I personally think I do, atleast somewhat.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#10 Posted: 19:10:31 10/04/2016
Quote: Bumblebunnii
I honestly hate when people say that if you haven't been diagnosed with depression, you don't know.
Yes, there are people who fake having depression and other mental illnesses to get attention or for other reasons. But that isn't the majority.

With that said though, depression is the only illness mental or otherwise that you can self diagnose. I don't believe you can self diagnose cancer, autism, etc.

Agreed. I didn't need a diagnosis to know I had depression growing up. My persistent desire to find a tall building told me that.

Granted, I did eventually see a doctor and got a diagnoses (both for depression and social anxiety), but that was more to find out a possible solution to the underlying causes of my depression.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#11 Posted: 19:23:35 10/04/2016
Quote: thumper

I know however I was trying to say that depression is not a reason to feel special, that's all. Using depression to get attention is rather sad cause when it's discovered they were only looking for attention, that attention will come as a negative attention.

People can manage to make suicidal or self-harm tendencies something romantic and special, there are crazies for everything.

As someone said, you've seen =insert horrible trend here=, next get ready for -gasp- decent human beings.

Though yeah, it's better to help someone and find out it's just some jerk than dismiss someone with actual issues. Always get this kind of stuff checked out as soon as there's an opportunity.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Jaggedstar Diamond Sparx Gems: 7728
#12 Posted: 19:47:00 10/04/2016
i've been officially diagnosed and no it is not cute, quirky or special
---
Quote: Paytawn
oh my god
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#13 Posted: 22:33:30 10/04/2016
i've never been diagnosed (For anything except ADHD)

But I know I have depression and major anxiety, I will have frequent anxiety panic attacks where it feels like I am going to die, the room closes in, my heart beats fast, It's hard to breathe, I feel like I'm going to fall over and faint, and I feel it all the time, I'm currently on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety pills

But other than that you can't really diagnose yourself
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
whirlwind fan Platinum Sparx Gems: 5748
#14 Posted: 00:16:21 11/04/2016
I don't truly understand how SANE people can fake depression (and any disorders/mental illnesses in that fact) and feel special about it. It's not something to act cool about. It's one of the most dastardly things to deal with day to day.

That saying, depression is more noticeable than other things. I'm not saying all people diagnosed are obvious, because some prefer to keep it unknown. So it isn't that hard to fake it and pretend you're diagnosed. The symptoms of depression are really common so lots of people tend to fake them and act "cute" or "quirky" which is beyond me because I don't see why they are.

Whatever it is, if you're curious you have it, then check. Go to professionals.

In my experience, I've had friends who are living perfectly fine lives where they pretend they have depression and anxiety. They're the most outgoing people ever. One second they'll tell me they have depression, next they'll be smiling and hanging out with their friends. When I'm depressed I don't go out for days, weeks (except say school or work). I'm shut down from everyone around me, I even come to barriers of suicidal thoughts (which I've stopped, though I do question it). Then again I do NOT know if they have depression but from seeing how they act it is clear they don't seem depressed.
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#15 Posted: 17:15:53 11/04/2016
I'm diagnozed with Extreme Depression.
And NO, it defenetly doesn't make you feel special. Actually, it makes you feel unwanted and look like trash. Many people don't just only suffer from "Just only" depression, but it mainly goes paired with something. In my case, this could be anything. (I think I'm Bipolar but that's a different thing)

If I have to talk about myself. My depression causes me to look up things I shouldn't look up. I have the tendency to look up Dark or "Evil" things. I dress myself in a hoodie as much as possible and I'm a big time Introvert. I HATE talking to people real life and I will hate you as soon as you make one tiny mistake in my eyes. I'm Much-Asking, hardcore asumer and atop of that, I want things my way. Things that don't go my way will be looked at by with with tears in my eyes or pure disguist.

Another thing my depression brings along are suicidal thoughts. They're unpleasent. I can go on about this subject, but I rather not.

I mostly end up hiding my depression by pretending I have worse disorders, such as DID/MPD or Paranoia... Or I'm overly hyperactive.

Conclusion: Being Diagnozed with Depression ISN'T special AT ALL
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#16 Posted: 17:38:00 11/04/2016
People that try and diagnose themselves just to feel special is just stupid in my opinion. It doesn't feel special at all, I can't even use words to describe what it feels like to me. But what I can say is that it's NEVER 'cool'. It's not self diagnosing that bothers me, it's whether they're doing it to feel special, quirky, etc. I've seen somebody do it before, they did it so they could get things out of people. And I'm not joking, it was as clear as daylight. It was absolutely terrible. Hating yourself, feeling weak and overall hating life isn't fun in the slightest. I hate seeing no point in anything anymore.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#17 Posted: 18:34:43 11/04/2016
I think that the majority of teenagers tell that they have depression to feel special. Like, it's very hard to me to believe when someone says that he/she has depression. Also, some people think that they are on depression just because they are feeling sad for some time, when it's not always true. These ones generally don't want attention, they just understood wrong. I also think that depression cannot be self diagnosed by someone. It's more deep than just deciding by yourself.

Last but not least, I think that people need to try to get past that, since I've seen some people that prefer complain and wait for others to help (obviously not all, it's a minority). Like, I don't know if any of you know, but I hate myself, but I keep going with life, and I don't feel like I'm in depression (though I've never seen a doctor to have sure). If I'm sad for something, I try to get past that instead of complaining. My personal advice is for people that think that are in depression try to do that.
---
Bruh
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me