Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > Your opinion on going to the movies
Page 1 of 1
Your opinion on going to the movies [CLOSED]
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#1 Posted: 02:33:57 02/04/2016 | Topic Creator
By that, I mean going to a Theater.

Why would you want to spend money on gas, drive somewhere, and sit down with a bunch of random strangers, and eat overpriced popcorn/candy/drinks/food and end up spending much more than you would if you just waited and bought the blu-ray?
Unless I'm going with friends, or it's a James Bond movie, I stay as far away from Theaters as I can.
I get much more enjoyment watching the movie in the comfort of my home, not to mention I actually get to OWN the movie too.
It's rare that I go to a theater where there isn't someone annoyingly talking during it

not to mention i have to watch ****ing commercials and trailers what the **** man its not worth like at least twenty dollars or however much is spent

Fortunately, there isn't many kids attending James Bond movies.

your thoughts?
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 02:34:09 02/04/2016 by Badwolfmichael
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#2 Posted: 04:16:17 02/04/2016
Big screen, big sound system, and (very rarely) 3D. Living in an apartment I don't really get to have those things (though our sound system is pretty good despite that).

And yeah the idea of being with a crowd of people who will sometimes get hyped up and make the experience more fulfilling. Only problem is when parents take their infant children to the theater with them (I swear I heard three different crying children during Age of Ultron last year).

Only problem is that New York City has the most expensive tickets in the country at usually $15 a pop for just a standard 2D showing. That can seem like a steep investment for even good films, and then consider that I just a few days ago spent $50 total for 3 tickets to see Batman v Superman.

EDIT: Also in the case of big films like Star Wars or BvS, it's seeing the film before you get spoiled while waiting for a DVD release.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:17:07 02/04/2016 by CAV
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5379
#3 Posted: 04:30:11 02/04/2016
I really only go to the movie theater for big special effect filled movies that I'm super hyped for and don't want to wait to watch. So basically just superhero movies, Middle Earth movies, and Star Wars movies.
---
Boop me if you see this.
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#4 Posted: 04:36:41 02/04/2016
More immersive, I think. The big screen and surround sound adds to the enjoyment. I adore the cinemas, even with all the people and whatnot, I think it adds a bit of atmosphere imo.

I never buy food there though, always sneak a couple of drinks and some chocolate in for half the price of a single drink and smaller bag.

It'd be nice to go with friends, but that never seems to happen.
---
self professed austGAYlian
MoonHorizons Gold Sparx Gems: 2826
#5 Posted: 04:41:45 02/04/2016
you don't have to spend money on gas or buy food and drinks when you go to the theater.

the reason why i visit the movie theaters is not because i can see a movie early, it's because it's a much, much more immersive experience then home viewing.
---
the more obscure your favorite cartoons are, the more refined your taste is
Dark Bro Emerald Sparx Gems: 4523
#6 Posted: 05:00:16 02/04/2016
I personally like going to watch a movie in the theatre. The last one I got to see was Star Wars VII, but hopefully I can take my "girlfriend" to go watch Batman vs Superman this Sunday.
That's only if she comes home tomorrow night from Wizard World.
---
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
Mewtwo - Pokemon:The First Movie
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#7 Posted: 05:18:10 02/04/2016
it's fun and you can just smuggle in your own snacks
KeybasHedKey Ripto Gems: 1862
#8 Posted: 05:43:14 02/04/2016
What i don't like is going for the Popcorn or the tickets the line is long, geez my sister had to wait in line for the movie we where watching but she actually came just in time before the movie started 'cause commercials were not that great. I like going there 'cause the picture and the sound is amazing but i wished to go into a movie in 4D, but Tickets are expensive> but, i haved seen a movie in 3D.

I remember it was the movie Turbo i liked that movie but not really 3D worthy to watch.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 05:44:01 02/04/2016 by KeybasHedKey
#9 Posted: 06:09:39 02/04/2016
Quote: Big Green

Yeah that's why I always wear cargo shorts. I can smuggle in an entire box of oreos with these things.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#10 Posted: 06:15:31 02/04/2016
Quote: Muffin Man
Quote: Big Green

Yeah that's why I always wear cargo shorts. I can smuggle in an entire box of oreos with these things.

backpack and hoodie combo that way they know i probably have something :D

and i always get my tickets online, the last time i bought a physical ticket was probably for catching fire
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#11 Posted: 06:29:51 02/04/2016
Why would you watch a movie in a hot room with ton of other people and about a dozen annoying kids, when you can wait for the movie to come out and watch it from the comfort and silence of your living room.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#12 Posted: 06:46:12 02/04/2016
Quote: parisruelz12
Why would you watch a movie in a hot room with ton of other people and about a dozen annoying kids, when you can wait for the movie to come out and watch it from the comfort and silence of your living room.

hot? i don't think i've ever been to a cinema that hasn't been well air-conditioned
---
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#13 Posted: 06:50:37 02/04/2016
Quote: ReshiramForever

hot? i don't think i've ever been to a cinema that hasn't been well air-conditioned

that an i have kinda a personal thing

i don't have depth perception, meaning i can't see anything that has those new fangled 3d glasses.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
#14 Posted: 08:08:34 02/04/2016

that an i have kinda a personal thing

i don't have depth perception, meaning i can't see anything that has those new fangled 3d glasses.

My ex-girlfriend had a similar issue. She was blind in one eye so 3D was completely unviewable to her. Fortunately I was never a huge fan of 3D movies myself.
---
Boop me if you see this.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#15 Posted: 10:55:10 02/04/2016
It's fun to go with friends, especially if you get the entire theater to yourselves.

Like Hell I'd pay money for food or drinks though. I don't typically eat at the theater, but if I had I would smuggle it in.
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10050
#16 Posted: 11:24:42 02/04/2016
It's crazy expensive in here, so we treat it like going to an amusement park: at least two people have to go and it better be a good movie. No buying food except for popcorn either because they like chargjng triple for water and candy when it's literally a few steps from a candy store.

That means that when it's a good movie it's a great experience but whenbit sucks I regret watching stuff blind just a little more, looking at you HTTYD2 which I spent over 60 bucks on in another city because I had hope. Which is why I always go for nonspoilery reviews the day before now, as movies in Brazil love to come out two weeks or two months later.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Mesuxelf Ripto Gems: 3666
#17 Posted: 11:54:07 02/04/2016
Big screen, louder sound, better if you're going with a group of friends for a day out than just watching it at home.
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#18 Posted: 12:04:20 02/04/2016
I don't like it that much because I always feel really awkward. I actually avoided going at all for the past couple of years but I have to go again this month for the first time in ages. I'm always nervous about going. Other than that, it's how *****ing loud it is, and the people talking.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
BlackWing116 Yellow Sparx Gems: 1480
#19 Posted: 12:20:01 02/04/2016
I kinda like going to a theater or cinema. Especially if I'm amongst otthers.
weebbby Emerald Sparx Gems: 4220
#20 Posted: 12:25:19 02/04/2016
The only reason I go is if there's a movie I'm really hyped for. Otherwise, I wait for the DVD release.
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#21 Posted: 13:14:56 02/04/2016
I'm a huge movie fanatic so to say I love going to the movie theater would be an understatement.

Theaters are different than watching at home because, as everyone has said, they give a much more immersive experience. Experiencing anything that's much bigger in scale gives the sense that it's bigger than you initially think. things like surround sound and 3D movies also help make it more immersive(3D depends on the movie though, but usually animated films or special effect heavy movies benefit from it most).

And given that you have the right audience, the people around you can make the experience even better. My favorite movie experience is still seeing the 2014 Godzilla because everyone in the theater was so pumped to see it, and they were going nuts during the fight scenes in the finale(And when that last fight scene happened the entire theater roared louder than a football stadium). If it's with the right people, the energy and hype people give off can really help the experience because that starts to rub off on you and then you start to get more hyped about the movie.

Usually the tickets are expensive, yes, but most of the time I really don't mind paying that much because I enjoy the theater experience so much. I don't buy snacks often though, and when I do it's usually just a box of candy and a small drink.

I should make the disclaimer that I work as a movie theater usher so I may have a bit more of a bias than I did before last year, especially since I can get two free tickets to any movie most, if not all the time.
---
Cool cool.
Project_Unnamed Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10230
#22 Posted: 15:13:42 02/04/2016
Even though I am not a movie kind of guy (I actually found movies kind of boring form of visual entertainment in most cases) I have occasionally went for movie theatres. And I hate it. It is too expensive in relation to the actual real entertainment value it gives back, there are other people eating and making unwelcomed noises and seats never have enough of leg room. It is definitely not my cup of tea.
---
I might give you more opinions... for a small fee of course.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#23 Posted: 22:28:41 02/04/2016
I go for the popcorn and the popcorn alone. Usually when it's a movie I'm particularly looking forward to too.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
#24 Posted: 23:04:15 02/04/2016
Quote: sonicbrawler182
I go for the popcorn and the popcorn alone. Usually when it's a movie I'm particularly looking forward to too.

Can't you just buy a good brand of popcorn and make it at home,or some good popcorn stand at the street?

Genuine question. Theater popcorn here in Brazil is the same as microwave popcorn,just with dangerous amounts of butter.
---
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#25 Posted: 23:16:54 02/04/2016
From my experiences in theaters with my BF and relatives. I very rarely get a crowded room and it's usually chilly. And considering my BF is sometimes tight on money, he usually has coupons prepared for discounts on refillable drinks and such. Or you can be a complete scumbag like me and use purses to take in your own food since they are not entirely allowed to search you, if you say no to their prompt of searching your bag.

Honestly I enjoy going to the theaters because it's more up to date on movies and it gets me away from some people at home.
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#26 Posted: 13:23:16 03/04/2016
I like to go to theaters to stay up to date with the movies I want to watch, to have good sound and image quality and, Blu-Ray discs here are very expensive compared to a 3D movie ticket. Obviously there's flaws, like people making noises (since I only watch animations, there's annoying kids everywhere) or the mess. But I personally like go a theater after all.
---
Bruh
#27 Posted: 13:46:33 03/04/2016
Quote: Crash10
I like to go to theaters to stay up to date with the movies I want to watch, to have good sound and image quality and, Blu-Ray discs here are very expensive compared to a 3D movie ticket. Obviously there's flaws, like people making noises (since I only watch animations, there's annoying kids everywhere) or the mess. But I personally like go a theater after all.

Oh yeah, with animations I never hesitate on choosing the latest time possible or during the week in the afternoon - crying kids can easily ruin a movie's experience since obv the parents will just let the entire room deal with their problem, lest someone try to tell them how to raise a kid and other hyperboles.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 13:47:19 03/04/2016 by Bifrost
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#28 Posted: 13:48:05 03/04/2016
I only go with friends or family, although since that mass shooting at a Colorado theater in 2012 I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat frightened of going. >.>
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
#29 Posted: 16:37:23 03/04/2016
^You're still way way way more likely to die in a car crash on the drive over.
---
Boop me if you see this.
DummyZ Gold Sparx Gems: 2844
#30 Posted: 17:55:55 03/04/2016
I agree 100% with the strangers part. I DESPISE those idiots making loud comments and disrupting the movie on purpose.

But if we get rid of that, the whole experience of watching a movie together with friends and in a big screen with good surround sound makes the experience worthwhile.

and **** it i was not waiting 4 months to see deadpool on dvd
Lunarz Emerald Sparx Gems: 3328
#31 Posted: 22:29:13 03/04/2016
Quote: HIR
I only go with friends or family, although since that mass shooting at a Colorado theater in 2012 I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat frightened of going. >.>

Omg i'm always terrified at theatres despite my love for them
---
Lanky Kong saved me despite having no style nor grace.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4745
#32 Posted: 21:55:15 04/04/2016
Quote: Bifrost
Quote: Crash10

Oh yeah, with animations I never hesitate on choosing the latest time possible or during the week in the afternoon - crying kids can easily ruin a movie's experience since obv the parents will just let the entire room deal with their problem, lest someone try to tell them how to raise a kid and other hyperboles.

Choosing the latest time possible didn't helped me... Maybe the other solution works best.
---
Bruh
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#33 Posted: 10:22:31 05/04/2016
It's a rare occurrence for me. I used to get to my youngest brother to take me but I'm doing it anymore because he has an explosive temper. It's hard to get anyone to take because how busy everyone is and the kind of movies I want to see, I rather see alone but I can't because I can't drive.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
StormDragon21 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5550
#34 Posted: 14:40:45 05/04/2016
I don't watch movies in the first place.
---
"sTORM, my parents just told me something that RUINED MY LIFE. DID YOU KNOW that Smarties have different flavors?!" ~ShadowMewX
VespiDragon8 Platinum Sparx Gems: 6594
#35 Posted: 18:39:08 05/04/2016
Several are very certain, is much spending money for all that, but it is also true that the experience of sound, image, etc. of the theater is unique, something that at home one can not enjoy unless that on home your family has a kind of movie theater that more or less recreate a cinema technology, so you'll have the comfort of the home & the luxury quality of a theater.
Me, along with my family prefer the cinema however, we have the **** of huge costs that comes with going to the movies, so to avoid all that we create good techniques to have it all:

• Spend on gasoline for the trip to the movies? Choose the mall or place that has a bicycle parking & go in bike, or go walking. Very few places offer the service that for the parking regardless, if one went to see a movie, at the moment of paying the parking, showing the ticket of the function the parking comes free, though, the disadvantage of gasoline remians. If you can, use the method of the bicycle, plus, you do exercise for your health.
  • Strange people? Always choose the last function & in a weekday (Monday through Friday). Many people are not encouraged to go so late to see a movie or because they are tired from work, then the theater may be almost empty. If function is for all public; with kids, many or all parents will not go to the function, because it’s very late for their children, probably it will be almost empty too. If anyone has job, tthis option will not work.
  • Food very expensive? Food infiltration; the method of my family: With the portfolio of my mother keep all the food we want to take, at the entrance to the movie halls the managers do not usually check portfolios of a woman, so we had no problems & once inside the theater, we wait until the function begins, once that, by the lights off the managers not notice soo easy that it is outside food, believing that there is food bought from food cinemas. You do not pay a penny for food, enjoy the movie & what better way than food from your home.
  • Alternative 1: If you do not have support from your mother, enlists the help of another woman (older sister, girlfriend, aunt, godmother, whatever) or if you are a woman, repeat the above.
    Alternative 2: If you are men & go alone or with friends, try to keep everything into your or some friend clothes & pretend that you or your selected friend are fat, you/he have to act very well the role as a fat person & if all goes okay, you & your friends will enter to the theater without problems, but beware, this method is very difficult.

And in the end with all that saving money, you can pay a good room where the film is in 3-D or other formate that is better than the traditional & maybe then you'll have enough to buy the blu-ray version time after, but already having the satisfaction that in all that time of waiting you've already seen the movie that you wanted to see.

Conclusion: I give a yes to going to the movies, the important is to find ways that can benefit us to make it better, comfortable & cheap.
TacoMakerSkys Platinum Sparx Gems: 5652
#36 Posted: 22:04:16 05/04/2016

Hot? Definitely not. Dozen annoying kids? Don't go see PG/G rated films. I'd rather go to the movies with my friends and see it on the big screen than at my own home.
---
words. letters. filler.
Wreckingball13 Gold Sparx Gems: 2583
#37 Posted: 22:22:08 05/04/2016
I love seeing movies especially with friends
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8508
#38 Posted: 22:30:36 05/04/2016
The audience helps the experience by reacting with the movie. If I were to be alone in a comedy I wouldn't laugh much but if others are laughing I'll start to laugh with them increasing the enjoyment of the film.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me