darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: Imaginators > Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning
First | Previous | Page 621 of 627 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627
Skylanders General Discussion Topic - Spoiler Warning [STICKY]
HeyitsHotDog Platinum Sparx Gems: 5340
#31001 Posted: 19:37:38 14/02/2018
I did too, but I just can get INTO it as much as I did the others.
---
When ever you get scared or nervous about something, you gotta do your best to keep on smiling and Go Beyond Plus Ultra!
ZapNorris Ripto Gems: 5109
#31002 Posted: 19:38:46 14/02/2018
giants was my favorite in all honesty. might just be the nostalgia talking but everything just felt so... magical with that game.
TrapShadowFan Emerald Sparx Gems: 3473
#31003 Posted: 20:21:05 14/02/2018
Trap Team is still my favorite because of its sheer amount of content; it's like Giants on steroids. Imaginators could've been just as great but it didn't have enough content IMO.
---
B O N D R E W D D I D N O T H I N G W R O N G
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:21:29 14/02/2018 by TrapShadowFan
emeraldzoroark Gold Sparx Gems: 2884
#31004 Posted: 16:36:24 15/02/2018
Just found out the events of Superchargers (after Gadfly Glades) take OVER 15 DAYS to happen.
---
This avatar will be a reminder of my ultimate goal.
Even if I can’t bring it to Gen 8.
#31005 Posted: 16:37:44 15/02/2018
Quote: emeraldzoroark
Just found out the events of Superchargers (after Gadfly Glades) take OVER 15 DAYS to happen.

Huh. I'm sure the events of SSC over all took quite a bit.
---
When ever you get scared or nervous about something, you gotta do your best to keep on smiling and Go Beyond Plus Ultra!
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6887
#31006 Posted: 16:41:40 15/02/2018
Yup, I was cleaning up some articles when I found that out (if you read it on the wiki). Kaos mentions a current time frame for the first time in the series, but yeah, SC is a suuuuper compressed recollection of the events, considering the Skylander just pops in at the next time help is needed.
---
I do art!
You're so superficial
Dressed up all official
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:42:08 15/02/2018 by Bifrost
#31007 Posted: 17:05:10 15/02/2018
I read it in the Kaos Diaries. Maybe it took 15 days to prepare the popping of the colossal kernal before Mags got bored and popped it herself. I don't know, I'll replay this eventually.
---
Unreallystic Emerald Sparx Gems: 3043
#31008 Posted: 14:44:18 20/02/2018
Quote: ZapNorris
giants was my favorite in all honesty. might just be the nostalgia talking but everything just felt so... magical with that game.

It did have the most Magic...its not just you...it felt more "personal", after that it became this AAA title with a larger budget and larger expectations - the fervor was fun, but the magic dissipated quickly.

when I finally finish relocating Skylander's to the playroom, maybe I'll do a Giants run with my son. He couldn't even talk yet when it came out, now he's about to turn 7. Time flies. I remember using the mini-figures to make him think he was playing, like handing your little brother an unplugged controller.
- Unreall
yelvy Gold Sparx Gems: 2450
#31009 Posted: 15:40:55 20/02/2018
I feel awful for saying this, since everyone seems to love Giants so much, but for me it felt cheap and odd and ugly. And it had the joint worst roster as well in my opinion (Superchargers being the other contender).

I haven't played it for years, admittedly, but all I remember are the Giants themselves being frustratingly slow, Wilikin village which really creeped me out, and the graphics feeling... I dunno, is dirty the way to describe it?

Okay, rant over! Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but I had to say that. (Maybe I can edit this post to include a passionate speech about my love for Swap Force to balance things out)
#31010 Posted: 15:54:57 20/02/2018
I admit I'm surprised how much love Giants is getting. I love it but c'mon SF, TT and even SSC I love more. Maybe it's nostalgia.
---
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4720
#31011 Posted: 16:37:09 20/02/2018
Quote: Unreallystic

It did have the most Magic...its not just you...it felt more "personal", after that it became this AAA title with a larger budget and larger expectations - the fervor was fun, but the magic dissipated quickly.

when I finally finish relocating Skylander's to the playroom, maybe I'll do a Giants run with my son. He couldn't even talk yet when it came out, now he's about to turn 7. Time flies. I remember using the mini-figures to make him think he was playing, like handing your little brother an unplugged controller.
- Unreall

I think you nailed what I have bee thinking for quite a few years.

SWAP Force, Trap Team, SuperChargers and Imaginators have some undeniably better aspects, such as the graphics, the animations and in certain cases the characters and the story.
But they almost feel... Well, “expected”.

It’s like after Giants Activision said “ok, we are going to make a new game every year from now on so go create some new Skylanders and a story to justify a new chapter”.
I don’t mean it in a completely bad way, can’t blame Activision because they had a comprehensible long-terms plan in mind nor V.V. and TfB for what they’ve been able to bring us, but that “magic” from the first two entries got lost along the way.

A sequel to Spyro’s Adventure was likely to happen, but it was never as taken for granted as all the ones we’ve got after that.
Don’t know about you, but I was jumping with excitement when they announced it because I thought they would have simply released more figures for the first game and called it a deal.
I was incredibly happy for SWAP Force as well, but more for the technical improvements rather than the actual announcement itself.
Distinctly remember the difference between the first time I saw both trailers.

Perhaps I’m being a bit naive, of course they were going to make sequels after the success of Spyro’s Adventure.
Yet I cannot help but feel the mentality behind the series changed, turning it into something more mechanical and less magical and making it loose part of its soul in the process.

New games are good if not even great, but they changed, and not only aesthetically.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:40:29 20/02/2018 by Drek95
XSparxX Emerald Sparx Gems: 4734
#31012 Posted: 19:19:35 20/02/2018
I don't understand the love for Giants. It felt like an expansion pack for Spyro's Adventure. It also looks like an PS2 game with HD resolution, even A Hero's Tail and TLOS had better graphics on PS2 as Giants for PS3/WiiU/Xbox360
Swap Force was the game which brought the franchise to the next level as true first HD Skylanders with new gameplay features like jumping.
---
"If I had any humanity left, I would have been crushed by the guilt by now."
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:19:58 20/02/2018 by XSparxX
#31013 Posted: 19:26:02 20/02/2018
Better graphics don't always mean better game, though(just look at DOTD). And people do like SSA.
---
I do art!
You're so superficial
Dressed up all official
#31014 Posted: 19:26:28 20/02/2018
Quote: XSparxX
I don't understand the love for Giants. It felt like an expansion pack for Spyro's Adventure. It also looks like an PS2 game with HD resolution, even A Hero's Tail and TLOS had better graphics on PS2 as Giants for PS3/WiiU/Xbox360
Swap Force was the game which brought the franchise to the next level as true first HD Skylanders with new gameplay features like jumping.

Honestly, I think it’s because it’s like Spyro’s Adventure but better.

Also I hated jumping. SSF has other things but jumping is just... ugh.
---
#31015 Posted: 19:27:20 20/02/2018
Jumping was a god send.
---
Muffin Man Emerald Sparx Gems: 3403
#31016 Posted: 19:50:42 20/02/2018
I love the platforming aspect that jumping brought, and I wish it had been there from the start. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, though. It gave the series a different feel.
---
whoever reads this shall succumb to the ways of the Muffin
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2904
#31017 Posted: 20:17:58 20/02/2018
Giants was pretty good, and I find it to be the most nostalgic title for me, for some reason. Imaginators is my favorite, though.
---
sometimes that japanese future funk be hittin tho...
JCW555 Hunter Gems: 5938
#31018 Posted: 20:35:09 20/02/2018
Now granted, I haven't looked at newer Skylanders' gameplay, but I find it amusing that people had a problem with jumping in them. As a classic Spyro fan, that was all about platforming and jumping and gliding from place to place. I know a lot of Skylanders fans aren't Spyro fans, and I understand that, but that's a funny thing to me.
---
"A little hypodermic sends you into outer space"
Motörhead - I'm The Doctor - Iron Fist (1982)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 20:41:47 20/02/2018 by JCW555
#31019 Posted: 21:19:41 20/02/2018
Quote: JCW555
Now granted, I haven't looked at newer Skylanders' gameplay, but I find it amusing that people had a problem with jumping in them. As a classic Spyro fan, that was all about platforming and jumping and gliding from place to place. I know a lot of Skylanders fans aren't Spyro fans, and I understand that, but that's a funny thing to me.

Well the thing is Spyro’s gameplay was centered around platforming from the beginning.
---
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#31020 Posted: 00:49:03 21/02/2018
The original Skylanders Spyros Adventure is still my favourite by a long way. Partly for nostalgic reasons, but I also loved the story, chapter length, numbers of chapters, rosters etc. Giants was really good but I'm surprised people like it more than the original.

Initially I really didn't like Swap Force and still find it soulless compared to the first two, but I've been playing it again for the past few weeks and I must admit I am enjoying it more. Chapters are still crazy long, but I am appreciating that a little more now that there are no more Skylanders games coming in the foreseeable future.
CountMoneyBone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3179
#31021 Posted: 19:30:49 21/02/2018
Quote: XSparxX

it looks like a ps2 game???.. i must disagree here giants was big step up from the first game and it looked good on the ps3/xb360, but it really did shine on the wiiu.. and it was in true hd.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1118
#31022 Posted: 14:59:20 22/02/2018
Quote: yelvy
I feel awful for saying this, since everyone seems to love Giants so much, but for me it felt cheap and odd and ugly. And it had the joint worst roster as well in my opinion (Superchargers being the other contender).

I haven't played it for years, admittedly, but all I remember are the Giants themselves being frustratingly slow, Wilikin village which really creeped me out, and the graphics feeling... I dunno, is dirty the way to describe it?

Okay, rant over! Sorry to bring negativity into this thread, but I had to say that. (Maybe I can edit this post to include a passionate speech about my love for Swap Force to balance things out)

That's how I felt the first time I played Giants. The second time was a lot better though, especially when I had faster Giants and a greater roster of characters. I had originally bought the Booster Pack, which just came with the game and Tree-Rex, so that's why my opinions on it were so low. I think that game more than any other is vastly improved with a greater roster of characters, especially Gimmicklanders.

As for the visuals, I have to agree. Dirty textures is a way to go, but I'd say "muddy" is more apt for some of the surfaces, whereas some of the characters and objects look like they're sculpted out of a hunk of dirt. It was a noticeable step down from SSA's art style and graphical fidelity in my opinion, and jarring for almost the entire experience. I can't say much about Wilikin Village though, I wasn't a huge fan of that (so much so that I didn't film it for the review linked above, there wasn't much of interest going on).

Don't worry about disliking a game either. We've all got our preferences BUT FAIL TO APPEASE THE AMETHYST DRAKE AND YOU SHALL BE QUICK TO RETRACT YOUR HERETICAL STATEMENTS, and some of us get a little defensive, but it leads to good discussion a lot of the time. smilie
#31023 Posted: 16:01:55 22/02/2018
Honestly, I find Giants nearly unplayable after playing the newer games. Like others said, it feels like a PS2 port, and you can tell they were on quite a budget back then. To me, Trap Team feels like Giants for the modern era, having pretty much every feature from Giants amped up and expanded.
---
#31024 Posted: 16:37:45 22/02/2018
Ah, 'muddy' is the word I was looking for, I think. Thanks!

Yeah, I can't say I've played SSA recently but I can accept the graphics on that, either because they're better or they were not the sequel (because you expect them to improve (not get worse) with each game).

The booster pack didn't help things, I agree.
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10323
#31025 Posted: 19:11:36 22/02/2018
It's been a long time since I last played Giants and I look forward to playing it again someday. However, while it is my second favourite game (tying with SSA) after Imaginators, I'm worried that it hasn't aged well and that I might not enjoy it as much as I used to.
---
#SobbleSquad
Drawdler Emerald Sparx Gems: 3009
#31026 Posted: 02:17:17 23/02/2018
Oh, Giants. IMO, it's SA but worse. Really it is the weakest TFB game.

• Levels padded with more, on-average longer puzzles. Less replayable as you see segments that play the same with every character much more. Worse when the game has fewer chapters.
  • Much smaller enemy variety both aesthetically and in terms of moves. When you do get to fight enemies it is more boring because of this. To top it off the game does not introduce that many new kinds of enemies or use many of those ones well.
  • Art in general is a step down, there is effort in so many unique setpieces for SA (and again, enemies to flavor the different worlds), more creativity in its designs and more of them, Giants throws that out the window when it comes to the elemental zones and has a lot more obviously reused assets in general. Yes it's because of the shorter dev time so it's fair that it happened and I can still appreciate what we got with that limitation, but in the end is a genuine issue with the game.
  • Story, while a decent continuation and cool use of Arkeyans, was worse. It was what made Kaos the obligatory main villain for every game, it lacked something as good as that elemental theming that was just cool and made for a great quest over all parts of Skylands, it did not have the Portal Master lore outside of the first level (in doing so, it also lacks the contrast between you and Kaos as Portal Masters, making him a weaker villain). SA's plot was so much more thoughtful. I really could go on about how much more immersive it was and how everything went together so much better in that plot and Giants feels much more like a generic quest by comparison... but it really boils down to that: Giants' is much less thoughtful. I'm not saying SA's is some mastapiece, even if I think it's really great for what it is, but it's so much better than what came after it and genuinely stands out amongst other games that try to be "immersive" thanks to the use of its gimmick.
  • Introduced reposes, and made it so your old figures no longer unlocked Heroics- less blunt about it than future titles but crappy anticonsumerism still crept in and is noticeable if you want to get deep into it.
  • What it adds on top of SA does not add up to much. Difficulty should always have been there and I still appreciate the option but slows even the combat to a crawl on high settings and does not fix the more pressing issue, a lack of combat/puzzle balance, the new characters are great but get overshadowed by the sheer amount of reposes and variants, Brock's arena is honestly too gimmicky to supplement for the lack of combat in main levels and still woefully short, Quests are grindy and don't really add fun or provide the same satisfying bonuses as Heroics... I would say the best additions are to PVP which sadly you can't enjoy anymore unless you have someone who is also interested in it locally. (Netplay may be possible but this remains to be tested and is another topic.)
  • Removed water/lava in the main levels; and this is just a side-detail, but it was really neat in SA. It gave Skylanders that could go over water a slightly different path sometimes, it made the Air, Fire and Water's characters' themes stronger (Water can always cross water because duh, Fire is so destructive only characters of that element can cross it, all the Air characters can hover over water because Air = flying), and it really made it feel much more like a proper world. It's a shame that those details never came back. On a smaller note I think they also removed different reactions to attacks with sheep, but I may be misremembering since I really just remember sheep getting relegated to some Heroics. The Rotting Robbies in the first game were cool too, kinda lame after that how there's no enemies affected only by certain means or kinds of attack.
  • I also don't like how every character can speak English as of this game because it made some of them feel a lot less like the monsters they were/should be and straight-up doesn't fit some, as well as somewhat genericising them. That some only spoke gibberish in the first game added to the sense that Skylands was a proper world; some of the heroes could speak english, some just let out roars and other monstrous sounds because English is not universal and does not fit everyone best. Does anyone actually like Bash better with him spewing out rock-based puns? In addition to this you now hear only one line when summoning a character, rather than one of several as in SA.
  • I don't think anyone will disagree here: the hub is a lot worse. smilie

Level replayability is something the series suffered with in Giants, SF and SC. Longer levels =/= better; people often complain about this with SF, but Giants was guilty of it first. I'd argue Giants is actually worse about it since while SF levels are much longer, far more of their content is actually entertaining. Play Giants again and you'll see how little of the levels is actually combat... you know, where your character choice matters and is exciting. And how much is block puzzles, or Skystones, or puzzles leading into puzzles. Giants balanced the puzzles and combat wads worse than SA. And that's what kills it. A game like Skylanders is no good if the gameplay is that boring on replays. The entire point of having a huge cast is being able to experience the game in so many ways, but that's killed when they all go through the same puzzles that play the same with everyone as often as in Giants, and hampered by the loss of details like water/lava.

I still think Giants is decent. But it really does just feel like an expansion pack in that it would be able to stand on its own much less and has much less effort to be its own thing than others in the series (maybe sans SI? That game is really weird in general). People forget how much SA genuinely has over it and honestly the rest of the series, and how many aspects lacking in detail and moneygrubbing tactics of later entries which are rightfully criticised became evident in and started with Giants.
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 03:32:55 23/02/2018 by Drawdler
Buchi Ripto Gems: 445
#31027 Posted: 05:03:49 23/02/2018
Yeah, despite Giants being my favourite Skylanders game, I'll definitely admit SA's hub was better by far. However, I don't think it's as bad as people say either.

It had a few secrets or minigames, like Skystones, or the hat store. Although the whole thing didn't look like much, I'd take what I mentioned over a large open area with barely anything anyday... I can't remember any particular examples for that in Skylanders, but I vaguely remember SF or TT's not having much secrets either? Giant's felt a lot bigger than it looked.
#31028 Posted: 19:11:53 23/02/2018
Drawdler, you've just reminded me of how much I miss those paths only accessible with certain elements/abilities! I remember characters that could fly (like Spyro) could get over those water/lava patches as well, and some soul gems relied on those areas (Stump Smash had some kind of regeneration power I think).

The fact that those areas never returned made a lot of upgrades from SSA useless. Whirlwind, for example, can fly, but doesn't have any powers building on that, so I hardly bother with it. And I can't remember what happened to Stump Smash's soul gem, I'm guessing it was changed?
dolcechaos24 Red Sparx Gems: 31
#31029 Posted: 01:07:16 24/02/2018
Any direct comment froM Activision on the ongoing life of Skylanders would be nice!!!
#31030 Posted: 04:36:30 24/02/2018
Element themed terrain should have been expanded on, not removed. Every element should eventually have been given a certain type of terrain that only they can traverse.
---
CountMoneyBone Emerald Sparx Gems: 3179
#31031 Posted: 10:35:12 24/02/2018
Quote: dolcechaos24
Any direct comment froM Activision on the ongoing life of Skylanders would be nice!!!

they will never admit they killed it.
---
Ha! HA, sage ich.
#31032 Posted: 12:26:57 24/02/2018
Quote: Muffin Man
Element themed terrain should have been expanded on, not removed. Every element should eventually have been given a certain type of terrain that only they can traverse.

It'd start breaking immersion though. Why can't non-Life guys walk over vines? Non-tech over machinery? Etc etc. It's better to have a few terrain types and have the others unlock areas instead, kinda like the secret vines in Perilous Pastures.
---
I do art!
You're so superficial
Dressed up all official
alicecarp Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10323
#31033 Posted: 14:53:38 24/02/2018
I was thinking Life Skylanders could control path-blocking plants, Light Skylanders could illuminate dark areas, Tech Skylanders could turn on/off machinery such as moving bridges and Undead Skylanders could either remove giant bones or phase through certain walls like ghosts.
---
#SobbleSquad
#31034 Posted: 15:40:01 24/02/2018
Yeah, they just need to think of a terrain that makes sense for each element. Life Skylanders could make plant life move around and create new paths through the environment. Tech skylanders could similarly activate machinery. Undead could travel through haunted areas filled with spirits that attack non-undead Skylanders. Air skylanders could travel through super windy areas that blow other skylanders all around the map. Stuff like that.
---
#31035 Posted: 16:18:07 24/02/2018
Yeah, I like the idea of Life Skylanders making branching paths in levels.
---
#31036 Posted: 16:31:04 24/02/2018
Quote: HeyitsHotDog

Yeah, that would bring the series back to it’s roots.
---
#31037 Posted: 16:43:30 24/02/2018
Quote: emeraldzoroark

Yeah, that would bring the series back to it’s roots.

i swear to god
---
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1118
#31038 Posted: 17:43:06 24/02/2018
I've always been an advocate for the expansion of elemental themes, or just the element mechanic in general. I would like to see Life characters snare enemies with roots while on grass as an optional ability, or Fire characters to burn enemies over time with standard attacks, and Water characters to slow foes, etc. I do like the suggestions made here though in regards to accessing certain places such as levers and casting spells to move barriers, rather than just standing in front of a door, the door goes away and a bridge is made. I'd like to choose characters not because "I need this level opening and a [gimmick] Skylander" but because the character's animations and effects are cool, especially in certain zones. A flat increase to damage is never exciting in my opinion. "Bring the character, not the class" and all that.
#31039 Posted: 04:44:25 25/02/2018
Superchargers had a real neat idea with the elemental portalmaster powers. That's another idea that should have been expanded on rather than ditched.
---
JohnnySmasher42 Gold Sparx Gems: 2467
#31040 Posted: 16:40:56 26/02/2018
Superchargers had a real neat idea with the elemental portalmaster powers. That's another idea that should have been expanded on rather than ditched.

How was Imaginators supposed to innovate anything if they didn't even have the budget to make a new portal screen smilie
---
Skylanders is dead and Activision killed it
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:41:27 26/02/2018 by JohnnySmasher42
#31041 Posted: 16:56:17 26/02/2018
yall defend superchargers but it was... not at all of quality
#31042 Posted: 17:25:39 26/02/2018

In your opinion.
---
#31043 Posted: 18:08:19 26/02/2018

In your opinion.

nightfallgate would like to have a word with you
#31044 Posted: 18:27:19 26/02/2018

In your opinion.

nightfallgate would like to have a word with you

Yeah but that didn't have a big effect on the game after a while.
---
#31045 Posted: 18:40:01 26/02/2018
Even if you didn’t like it, you had to admit, it did have some good parts.
---
#31046 Posted: 18:56:16 26/02/2018

That's your personal opinion.
---
#31047 Posted: 03:29:41 27/02/2018
Superchargers had great story, music, and characters, and some of the vehicle segments were fun. It was just brought down by the fact that they put way too much focus on vehicles, with hardly any focus on the Skylanders themselves.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:30:11 27/02/2018 by TrapShadowFan
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4720
#31048 Posted: 09:48:07 27/02/2018
Quote: TrapShadowFan
Superchargers had great story, music, and characters, and some of the vehicle segments were fun. It was just brought down by the fact that they put way too much focus on vehicles, with hardly any focus on the Skylanders themselves.

Well... I wouldn’t stop there with its problems, but one thing I agree with is that what was in the game had a pretty high quality, most of the time.

I guess it simply wasn’t my cup of tea, and definitely not what I was looking for in terms of Skylanders experience.
But cannot say I didn’t enjoy my first ride a lot.

Despite all the flaws it has, Imaginators is much closer to what I’d want from this franchise.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
#31049 Posted: 13:15:24 27/02/2018
Quote: JohnnySmasher42

How was Imaginators supposed to innovate anything if they didn't even have the budget to make a new portal screen smilie

I suppose budget constraints could have been to blame. It's a shame they couldn't have at least just copied the portalmaster powers straight over from Superchargers, even without any improvements.
---
#31050 Posted: 18:15:03 27/02/2018
Honestly, the main thing I didn’t like about vehicles was that it was shoving Land Vehicles in your face.
---
First | Previous | Page 621 of 627 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me