darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Skylanders: SuperChargers > Some thoughts from a non-collector (but gamer)
Page 1 of 1
Some thoughts from a non-collector (but gamer)
xboxfanuk Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#1 Posted: 17:22:36 30/01/2016 | Topic Creator
Right - One thing I have learned from playing the toys-to-life genre is most of us will never collect it all. There is just too much, too many things coming off the boat from China. And you know what, I don't think they mean for us to collect it all.

I think at some point you need to decide what your excited about, what the game needs to progress and your budget and just get that. Heck you don't NEED it all. You only need what the game locks away if you want to 100% the game.

These games are designed mostly with the idea of mom or dad going into Toys-R-Us and doing some Christmas shopping. Then perhaps after Christmas kids can pick up some more figures with grandma's money.

If your a serious figure collector then I suppose you are going to spend the money (if you can afford to) and get them all. But don't be too put off by the amount of choice Activision is going to give you. Activision makes no promises on how these things will be sold, but I can PROMISE you through looking back every year they will sell through to retail every last figure off the assembly line. And I can promise you after Christmas things will certainly go on sale.

Toys-to-life is getting crowded. Game stores and toy stores have so many things to display. Don't worry, the early adopters will in fact pay the top dollar. And the late comers (and majority) will get a better deal. Just a fact of retail.

When the next game comes out, think closely about what you NEED or WANT to really enjoy the game, after that don't rush online or to the store, wait until prices come down. And you don't actually need it all.
---
Friend me on Xbox One - GT: Xboxfanuk

Would love to co-op Superchargers.
warnado745 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3669
#2 Posted: 17:26:41 30/01/2016
I agree. At the beginning of the Skylanders series I wanted to collect them all, but I realized I don't quite have the money nor need to.

I'm glad you posted this because hopefully some other people might realize they don't need to collect it all
---
Was here before the dinosaurs
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10010
#3 Posted: 17:27:30 30/01/2016
Man, if they do a decision that goes against part of the fandom,they CLEARLY want the games to fail and hate people and are evil and greedy. Stupid decisions that can't be attributed to malice or greed? C'mon.

(actually that's exactly what I do. Only thing I buy on launch or after is starter pack; the only time I got figures before I got the game were Krypt King and Nightmare Express because they weren't looking so common after the first few weeks and I had enough to jump the gun.Everywhere else, I'll give at least three weeks to think while the price lowers,a month to save,and another two weeks to decide,THEN buy)
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:28:02 30/01/2016 by Bifrost
Drek95 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4761
#4 Posted: 18:55:58 30/01/2016
Yep, absolutely agree, that's what I do as well.
I simply try to get "only" one figure per character (the normal S1) and all the Adventure Packs.
With Trap Team I tried to collect 2 traps per Element (thanks Yawn molds) and with SuperChargers I'm trying to get all the vehicles.

I'm personally not interested in wasting money and time trying to collect variants, Lightcores, reposes, whatever.

I got the remaining 5/6 SA Skylanders after Giants' fourth Wave was released, and I would have no problem looking for old characters in the future.
It's just that it's still fun to go hunting characters in stores, even though it is becoming more and more frustrating, so I try to do it as much as possible.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
Current Number of Champions of the Skylands: 154
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:39:50 30/01/2016 by Drek95
Spyro Lover122 Gold Sparx Gems: 2147
#5 Posted: 19:36:13 30/01/2016
What I do is just buy every character that I like first, design, gameplay and figure wise. I buy more than one series for each characters almost all the time, but only with the ones I like most. (For example, I'm collecting all the Spyro and Cynder figures.)
I kind of go from there, sometimes I manage to buy all of them in the end. I never truly plan to own them all though, I'm not sure how people manage to get them all. People who never want to try the game complain that it costs too much, thinking that they need every figure to complete the games. A lot of players seem to collect every single one, and even go after every chase variant they can get a hold of. I could never see myself doing that.
---
Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!
UncleBob Ripto Gems: 4565
#6 Posted: 22:10:10 30/01/2016
The various chase varians/show exclusives/employee exclusives aren't really intended to be collected (in the "Collect them al!" sense). It's just an extra bonus. I'm not even 100% sure if we still have any collectors in the community who are still trying to get *everything*..
kaosmumishot Emerald Sparx Gems: 3271
#7 Posted: 01:54:17 31/01/2016
I used to find it frustrating to see characters that I had paid full price for, sitting on the shelves 12 months later going for less than half price.

But for those that do want to collect I recommend buying - or better still pre-ordering - the last wave characters. By the last wave the game has lost its interest so retail stores don't want to order huge quantities of them. They still have heaps of the earlier waves left over that they need to clear before the next game comes out. That leads to the final wave characters becoming very rare, like Shortcut, Thunderbolt etc.
#8 Posted: 02:15:34 31/01/2016
Yeah,but then odd ones out like S2 Bash and Krypt King show up. Making your purchases somewhere in the middle while you CAN get everything and not getting too upset over lower prices later on is a much better way of getting what you want.
---
newkill Emerald Sparx Gems: 3988
#9 Posted: 02:53:31 31/01/2016
I wonder how many figures must be sold per game per Starter Pack buyer for Activision to do a profit? Pretty sure the average consumer buys something like 10 to 20 figures per game.

I collect everything that is normally found in stores (all Core, Gimmick-landers, Lightcore, Reposed, Alt Deco, Legendary, Expansions, Magic items, etc.). I get a few chase variants, employee or event exclusives when possible but I do not intend to get them all. Yeah Yawn Traps not being released sucks, but they don't prevent access to any locked gameplay content at all. They are just three grayed-out spot in the Collection menu of Trap Team. No one talks about the Platinum Chest you can't unlock in Swap Force anymore, so people should get over the Yawn Traps soon.
---
bye
#10 Posted: 03:06:36 31/01/2016
Quote: newkill
I wonder how many figures must be sold per game per Starter Pack buyer for Activision to do a profit? Pretty sure the average consumer buys something like 10 to 20 figures per game.

I collect everything that is normally found in stores (all Core, Gimmick-landers, Lightcore, Reposed, Alt Deco, Legendary, Expansions, Magic items, etc.). I get a few chase variants, employee or event exclusives when possible but I do not intend to get them all. Yeah Yawn Traps not being released sucks, but they don't prevent access to any locked gameplay content at all. They are just three grayed-out spot in the Collection menu of Trap Team. No one talks about the Platinum Chest you can't unlock in Swap Force anymore, so people should get over the Yawn Traps soon.

I'd say there's a big difference between the Platinum Treasure Chest and the Yawn Traps. The PTC was never really advertised as something to collect outside of the package it was sold in. Additionally, the inability to obtain it through natural means in the collection screen of SWAP Force was due to an error in development, not really an intentional decision.
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#11 Posted: 11:46:01 31/01/2016
I'm guess I'm in that group of consumers who only buy 10 skylanders or so per game. I usually go fot the ones that I love the most, including the in-game variants, if any. Sometimes I even buy twice a figure which I really like, in order t keep one of them in the package. However, I still consider my self a skylanders collector.

One of the things I love most about this is deciding which ones I'm gonna get, sort of a review of each of them before making a decision.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
GameMaster78 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3321
#12 Posted: 15:20:10 31/01/2016
As someone who owns every TTL product currently released, minus 7 Smash Bros Amiibos, it does get rough, but I can see where waiting can benefit some. However, at the same time, there will be figures that are harder to get and you will pay for. A used S2 Hot Dog at GameStop goes for 24 bucks for instance. I think Royal Double Trouble is more than that.

If people have Vintage Stock stores, or their sister company Movie Trading Company, those are good stores to get your used TTL fix. Awesome stores.
---
Wii U: GameMaster1178, XBL: GameMaster1178, PSN: megax28
84skylanderdude Platinum Sparx Gems: 5528
#13 Posted: 15:37:30 31/01/2016
I'm a completionist. I get them all. I don't count chase variants as part of my collection though. They're so rare and so expensive online (and also they're not different in game) so I don't count them as part of my collection. But if I do see them I will get them, just from a collector's point of view. They're just separate from my normal collection.

At this point in time I have about 91% of all normal Skylanders, revamps, cores, gimmicks, in game variants, traps, magic items, minis, etc. in existence, including ones currently unreleased. I've gotten every single toy from Giant and Swap Force. I'm only missing Volcanic Vault from Spyro's Adventure. I'm still missing quite a lot from Trap Team, though. Like, in the double digits of numbers of toys. And of course I'm missing a hefty amount of SuperChargers toys; a lot are unreleased and it's still the lngoing game.

I will get them all eventually. If it comes down to it I might even spend a hefty amount to get the Yawn Traps. I am a completionist and I will collect them all.
---
“No one knows what the outcome will be. So, as much as you can, choose whatever you'll regret the least.” - Levi Ackerman
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#14 Posted: 17:14:18 31/01/2016
I pretty much only get one character of each element from each game (with Swap Force I coordinated the elements so I also had all eight movement types), plus a handful of extras when I really like multiples from the same element. I've never felt any urge to go out and "buy them all". There's just not enough gameplay to justify having that many characters.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#15 Posted: 17:50:16 31/01/2016
The reason why I personally try to get all the characters (aside for the fact I consider myself a collector) is that I think you really have to try out a character before judging it.

I usually try to avoid gameplay videos focusing on Skylanders as much as possible since I want them to be completely new and unknown the moment I put them on the Portal for the first time.

I actually found out a rather relevant part of my enjoyment for this series comes from that.
With SWAP Force I saw everything I could before the release and I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous games.
With Trap Team I tried to avoid characters and take a look at the levels and with SuperChargers I really limited the videos I watched.

So yeah, the least I know about a character, the better. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#16 Posted: 18:02:33 31/01/2016
With the money I spend, I can't really afford that unfortunately. Shameless advertising here but Buuzer's gameplay videos many many times helped me decide on a character I thought I'd like but turns out of be more boring than others I had in mind, and thankfully until today there's not one I regret buying.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:03:00 31/01/2016 by Bifrost
#17 Posted: 18:13:15 31/01/2016
I fully understand that.
I use his and other's videos as well when deciding the path to take.

Thanks, Buuzer. smilie
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#18 Posted: 20:05:28 31/01/2016 | Topic Creator
This post was sparked in part by the Skycast done by Mini-Kaboom and their frustration and feeling fed up with the game. And honestly I kind of see where they are coming from. But it's like asking the corporate snake not to bite you, they are going to bite you!

Truth be told of the toys-to-life games out I prefer Skylanders from a gaming standpoint and a figure standpoint. I don't really enjoy the Lego gameplay, and Disney Infinity (which we collected close to every figure) was so buggy on Xbox One I had to get rid.

Skylanders TRIES to do something new each year, they are literally the only toys-to-life game that isn't a direct movie tie-in game. So if you look at the money and polish that goes into their games each year, yeah they are EXPENSIVE as hell, but you should know that going in, or get used to just doing the basic campaign.

Look at Lego Dimensions for example. I picked up the starter pack for £80.00 (here in the UK). Then they wanted £30.00 for Back to the Future. All told with collectibles there was about an hour of gameplay. AN HOUR for £30!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at Disney Infinity. Right their campaign which retails for £45-50.00 comes with 1 3-6 hour campaign and the creator mode. Now if you love making the simple collect and combat games yourself, great it's a good deal WHEN IT'S NOT CRASHING! Because their game is so open and so much it can do, nothing runs brilliant.

So look at Superchargers this year. Yes it cost £55.00 for the starter (OR) I paid £40.00 on digital and used the Trap Team Portal. The only downside is Instant Hotstreak cannot be used for splitscreen and Instant Spitfire is ugly colour. But for £40.00 I get to access the entire excellent campaign, do online racing and collect EVERY hat, soul gem and legendary treasure. And if I want the other two racing modes it's simply £20.00 for the two vehicles.

If you hate the racing angle, sure I can see you not liking it. I for one like the lore, look and gameplay of Skylanders over the others. But that isn't everything they have done.

This year they did what NO OTHER T-T-L game is doing, online campaign mode. So for the first time you can show off your tricked out academy to your friends. You can play Skystones Overdrive with them. You can race them. It's the full experience online. That must of taken several years of work. This is now going to be a real feature going forward.

This year Skylanders is really becoming a kid friendly Diablo. And the collection elements are all there and for me personally there is a reason to keep grinding. I hate that feeling of everything is behind those pay-wall gates and you cannot have them. Pretty much the whole series hats are in this game.

I personally feel for the genre of game your getting a lot for your money. Obviously there is three expensive racing packs to pick up if you want all the tracks. But hey the reason they keep up with high quality polish and a something totally unique every year is because of how much money this thing makes. You could think of it like an MMO. Except instead of charging you a monthly fee they sell you plastic DLC in stores.
---

Buuzer Hunter Gems: 6546
#19 Posted: 20:10:13 31/01/2016
Quote: Bifrost
With the money I spend, I can't really afford that unfortunately. Shameless advertising here but Buuzer's gameplay videos many many times helped me decide on a character I thought I'd like but turns out of be more boring than others I had in mind, and thankfully until today there's not one I regret buying.

Quote: Drek95
I fully understand that.
I use his and other's videos as well when deciding the path to take.

Thanks, Buuzer. smilie

Oh! smilie Glad to help the community! smilie
---
smilie smilie smilie youtube.com/user/GOWBuuzer smilie smilie smilie
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#20 Posted: 20:14:10 31/01/2016
Good words , xboxfanuk smilie
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#21 Posted: 21:43:06 31/01/2016
I have at least once version of every character with the variants of my favorites like Spyro or Molten HotDog and some I just have the variant of like Dark Blast Zone and and Dark Wildfire.

I also invest in Disney Infinity as I'm a huge fan of Disney, SW and Marvel. I have all SW characters, most Marvel characters and a handful of Disney ones (I get favorites only like Stitch and Baloo).

I also get amiibo on the side. I've given up on Lego Dimensions entirely. Skylanders is the only franchise where I rarely feel bad about making a purchase.

Also Xboxfanuk you mention how Skylanders in the only TtL franchise to not be a "movie tie-in" or more accurately not a franchise using already established characters (Besides Spyro, Cynder, Bowser, and DK). Skylanders got it such a great start because it was (kind of) the first TtL game ever. Sure Spyro being in it helped a lot but Spyro isn't responsible for its success as much as people think. It was new, looked awesome to play with a huge variety of characters to choose from.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#22 Posted: 21:50:01 31/01/2016
Even with Spyro and the guest stars it's not a tie-in,they're just cameos. It's just using the characters,not the franchise.
---
DragonShine Yellow Sparx Gems: 1539
#23 Posted: 23:24:21 31/01/2016
I get skylanders based on looks. The ugly ones make it too hard for me to start actively collecting them all lol.
---
Still trying to recruit to my dragon army:S2 Bash, S2 Zap, Thorn Horn Camo, S1 Whirlwind,s1 Cynder
fairyland Emerald Sparx Gems: 3800
#24 Posted: 11:55:19 01/02/2016
I'd like to be a completist but I'm realistic and I know I cannot afford to do that. I knew right from Giants that it was horrible value and they'll become valueless outside of my entrainment value. So I bought used complete collections of SSA and Giants off ebay for a fair to me price. About 33% of retail price.

Swap Force I was in on on day one but I only bought the lady landers the entire year and characters to unlock gates, everything else I got used and I got almost everyone now thanks to some recent great sales.

Trap Team I tried to do the same as Swap Force, but their figures are now a bit rare or perhaps too early to get used. It could be the last series I'll attempt to finish up.

SC I just don't care about getting them all as the racing aspect killed it for me. Plus I have well over 150 characters but realistically only use around 20 routinely. The rest sits in shoe boxes only coming out when it's time to import them into the newest game. I was able to beat SC with about 5 old characters and over a dozen traps on nightmare so there was no reason to get any SCers. I ended up buying Splat and Stealth Elf and no other character. No desire to get anyone else. I stare at them at the stores but I am like 'meh' about them.

If Sky 6 is a return to pre-SC days, then I probably will end up collecting it all someday. If the theme is horrible like SC or figures rather rare to get like TT, I'll probably do the same as this year and get only the one's that I really fancy. I think that they'll have to do a reboot of the entire series and stop backwards compatibility for me to want to collect a great deal of them.
---
Stay Cool!
#25 Posted: 12:08:43 01/02/2016
Oh yeah, now that I replayed SSA this last two weeks with my entire collection and not as I got them like before, I can definately feel that difference. Every level I could go through 3,4 guys even if they were short because there's a ton to explore and do - with SC I'd do two at the most unless I got stuck and rekt on some hazard and forced to switch. It feels great just going around and choosing who needs the next upgrade,who can wait for a harder level,etc etc, but with SC not only they shower you with money and XP, you'll barely make use of it unless you're in enemy focused levels like the onfoot areas of Cloudbreather's Crag,Bandit Train or Battlebrawl Island.
Kind of a shame that the Superchargers I'm hoping to get are more preparation for Skylanders 6 than their own game. They're awesome,and you can't enjoy that for long enough... Applies to a lot of stuff in SC actually.
---
i_like_gill Red Sparx Gems: 10
#26 Posted: 19:07:29 02/02/2016
Oh yeah, now that I replayed SSA this last two weeks with my entire collection and not as I got them like before, I can definately feel that difference. Every level I could go through 3,4 guys even if they were short because there's a ton to explore and do - with SC I'd do two at the most unless I got stuck and rekt on some hazard and forced to switch. It feels great just going around and choosing who needs the next upgrade,who can wait for a harder level,etc etc, but with SC not only they shower you with money and XP, you'll barely make use of it unless you're in enemy focused levels like the onfoot areas of Cloudbreather's Crag,Bandit Train or Battlebrawl Island.
Kind of a shame that the Superchargers I'm hoping to get are more preparation for Skylanders 6 than their own game. They're awesome,and you can't enjoy that for long enough... Applies to a lot of stuff in SC actually.

I totally know what you mean. I soft of like the change in style as the games have come out, but at this part, we are pretty far away from the original dungeon crawler concept. I do kind of wish just for tunnel after tunnel of bad guys to bash in Superchargers.
#27 Posted: 19:49:33 02/02/2016 | Topic Creator
Quote: i_like_gill

I totally know what you mean. I soft of like the change in style as the games have come out, but at this part, we are pretty far away from the original dungeon crawler concept. I do kind of wish just for tunnel after tunnel of bad guys to bash in Superchargers.

You know what would have probably made everyone feel a bit better about this game is if they had some arenas. Online multiplayer arenas in Skylanders would have been a killer feature. I guess for most of you guys too much of it's just vehicle battles/racing. I get that.
---

#28 Posted: 01:34:10 03/02/2016
Yeah, SuperChargers' biggest flaw is that its genre just doesn't mesh too well with the Toys-to-Life concept. I think Toys for Bob's main advantage is that they understand the fact that combat is the main gameplay factor that gives us a reason to actually use all of our different characters. Vicarious Visions is great at designing fun, highly polished gameplay, but the gameplay they design doesn't really incentivize you to use lots of different characters.
---
Boop me if you see this.
HeyitsHotDog Diamond Sparx Gems: 8236
#29 Posted: 01:37:14 03/02/2016
Quote: Muffin Man
Yeah, SuperChargers' biggest flaw is that its genre just doesn't mesh too well with the Toys-to-Life concept. I think Toys for Bob's main advantage is that they understand the fact that combat is the main gameplay factor that gives us a reason to actually use all of our different characters. Vicarious Visions is great at designing fun, highly polished gameplay, but the gameplay they design doesn't really incentivize you to use lots of different characters.

I beg to differ. SF really nailed it when it comes to that. TfB and VV both need to realize what made SFs gameplay so damn amazing.
---
Hey is there anything you want me to bring for the rest of the week and if so it’s so cool that you can do something and just do it like that
#30 Posted: 01:52:14 03/02/2016
Quote: HeyitsHotDog
Quote: Muffin Man

I beg to differ. SF really nailed it when it comes to that. TfB and VV both need to realize what made SFs gameplay so damn amazing.

I'd agree when it comes to arenas and bonus missions, but the actual levels have a lot less combat and a lot more platforming, puzzle-solving, mini-games, treasure-hunting, etc than TfB levels, which have a much higher ratio of combat. Same with the on foot Superchargers levels. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but is platforming with Spyro any different than platforming with Spitfire or Dive Clops? Not really.

Ideally we'd have a game with everything great about both gameplay styles. Also it should be open world.
---
Boop me if you see this.
#31 Posted: 08:26:21 03/02/2016
I cannot entirely disagree nor agree with what both of you said.

On one hand SWAP Force is indeed the game which motivated me to play all the characters the most, and I think it was because of a mixture of Quests and level variety; you could complete a specific Quest by playing a Bonus Mission or by finding the perfect Story level.
It encouraged you to experiment with all your collection and that's definitely something to praise.

On the other hand though... I have to agree, jumping was used too much.
It's only after playing Trap Team and seeing how TfB still uses lots of bounce pads that I realized you can implement jumping while still keeping the dungeon-crawler spirit intact.
Levels might be more open and articulated but have more or less the same SA/Giants structure and I'm pretty sure you can finish the whole Story Mode without jumping more than 3 or four times.

SuperChargers had a better level design (even if terribly limited in terms of exploration) from that point of view but has one of the worst problems this series could have: it makes characters almost irrelevant.
I don't have the time to start enjoying an on-foot section because I suddendly come across a Land Area.
And vehicles themselves aren't certainly as unique as Skylanders when it comes to gameplay.
Let me simply mention the Wii and 3DS versions of the games where your character barely matter for real.

SA, Giants, SWAP Force and Trap Team were all Skylander-centric.
SuperChargers is side gimmick-centric.
That's a thing to never repeat again, in my opinion.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#32 Posted: 15:35:30 03/02/2016
Yeah, the 3DS version is fun but the character you choose is pretty much irrelevant beyond matching the vehicle for supercharge purposes. You can level the figures up for the console game by playing it, but that's about all the difference it makes. We haven't bothered loading anything other than the Superchargers into ours for this reason.

One could say though that Trap Team was villain-centric. You spent a lot of time not playing the character you put on the portal. It was still character oriented though.

I enjoy Superchargers, but I do think it was a big misstep that hurts the brand. A driving focused game might have been a nice side game to give extra value to your collection, but as a main iteration, the idea lacks.
#33 Posted: 15:44:27 03/02/2016
What? You chose to play as the villains or not. In fact,while grinding the new characters, I ended up using the villains as meat shields more than often and didn't start appreciating some like Threatpack until much later. But the thing is,you have a choice of using the gimmick or not and there's a big difference. Not exactly don't like it don't play it.
---
BahamutBreaker Yellow Sparx Gems: 1191
#34 Posted: 16:45:17 03/02/2016
Quote: xboxfanuk
Right - One thing I have learned from playing the toys-to-life genre is most of us will never collect it all. There is just too much, too many things coming off the boat from China. And you know what, I don't think they mean for us to collect it all.

Excellent point.
At one point in time (circa 2013), there was a general "collect them all!" enthusiasm among Skylanders fans. Collecting all (or most) of the available Skylanders at that time was an achievable -- and actually reasonable -- goal for many collectors. It was fun. My family was big-time into it. I don't think there was anything wrong with it ... then.

But now, after five full-blown Skylanders releases, there really ARE too many to try collecting them all. Only the most extreme collectors (I would estimate less than 1,000; possibly far fewer) are still maintaining the "collect them all!" attitude, at this point. I would say my family could now be described as, "holy ****, you guys have a lot of Skylanders ... but not quite as many as those guys you see on YouTube". We no longer feel the pressure to "collect them all!"... and while most of that early "the hunt is on!!" fun factor is gone now, we still enjoy the toys we select and play with just as much as we did back in 2013.

So, to sum it up: excellent post here, OP! Collect what YOU want to collect. Don't let Activision or other fans determine which figurines will grace your home display, and which ones will collect dust on the shelves in stores.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#35 Posted: 17:02:40 03/02/2016
I think it is off-topic somewhat for the thread, but I do want to say that I agree with several posts above about how poorly the vehicle driving aspect of Superchargers was melded into the gameplay experience.

Skylanders, for me (and I am betting MANY others) is an experience about building up your team of Skylanders, and being able to customize their individual talents (via the upgrade paths), and then being able to use those Skylanders in gameplay situations that suit their specific strengths and tactics. Superchargers REALLY did a fantastic job of completely BUTCHERING that experience. All the mandatory driving sequences and way-too-short non-driving sequences completely eliminate the mild-yet-important RPG elements of past Skylanders games. In SuperChargers, it really DOES NOT MATTER which Skylander you are using ... at all. Almost all of the challenging parts of the story levels involve the jumping mechanic -- not combat ... and all Skylanders jump the same, essentially. And for the driving parts (aside from a modest improvement using the SuperCharger with his/her "signature" vehicle), who cares who is driving the car?

And more importantly, how the hell does Eruptor (who has no hands), Flameslinger (who is freakin' blindfolded), or Wrecking Ball drive a damned car, huh?!?

Jokes aside, the biggest shame of SuperChargers is that the driving/racing levels are ACTUALLY REALLY AWESOME ... for a driving/racing game. A lot of very good design, development, and coding went into creating the driving stuff! BUT ... it just DOES. NOT. FIT. in a Skylanders adventure. It's like throwing a delicious pizza slice into a decadent chocolate cake ... both are really tasty ... but mixed together? YUCK.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what SuperChargers is: a delicious slice of new pizza shoved into a well-known mouth-watering slice of chocolate cake. While that might actually appeal to a FEW people ... for the majority of us, it just ruins the taste of both things.
---
"Who was harmed here---some six year olds who went to bed crying because there's no Enchanted Trap Shadow?"
#36 Posted: 17:16:48 03/02/2016
As a side note Flameslinger never needed to see anyway, since he can see through flame aside from his own eyes. That probably means he sees through Spitfire and Ignitor so he /can/ drive somewhat realistically if he wanted to,or if all else fails stick one of his arrows in the wheel for the same effect.

To be fair,a lot of SC's plot unfortunately disregards some Skylanders. Short Cut can open a portal to the Underworld,why were they bothering with the Thunderous Bolt anyway? Etc etc. But it's kind of expected because keeping track of 200+ characters will only get harder and harder.
---
#37 Posted: 22:13:38 03/02/2016
What? You chose to play as the villains or not. In fact,while grinding the new characters, I ended up using the villains as meat shields more than often and didn't start appreciating some like Threatpack until much later. But the thing is,you have a choice of using the gimmick or not and there's a big difference. Not exactly don't like it don't play it.

Exactly.
Can't say Trap Team was villain-centric because, for example, you could play the game without using a single trap from start to end.

If SuperChargers were a more open game which let you dinamically hop on your vehicle to travel faster and attack large group of enemies then yes, it would have been a smart and respectful way to introduce them in the series (and with how much they changed I'm still quite perplexed on why they choose not to push the accelerator to the max).
That was clearly not the idea they had in mind, though.

Vehicle areas are just mandatory SWAP Zones with a bit more freedom and they slow down the gameplay a lot (ironic, isn't it?).

They wanted a great Skylanders game and a great karting/vehicle game.
Sometimes you have to choose.
---
”Gulp, lunch time!”
#38 Posted: 23:05:37 03/02/2016
The ironic thing is, if they had made the main game where vehicles were optional, they could have up-ported the Wii/3DS Racing-only titles to the other systems and sold two different starter packs to everyone.
#39 Posted: 03:00:12 04/02/2016
Quote: UncleBob
The ironic thing is, if they had made the main game where vehicles were optional, they could have up-ported the Wii/3DS Racing-only titles to the other systems and sold two different starter packs to everyone.

That is really what they should have done.
---
#40 Posted: 10:53:21 04/02/2016
Racing would be the first Skylanders bomb then, since graphics wouldn't be polished if it meant taking time from SC. Acti isn't one to take risks, especially one that big.
---
#41 Posted: 14:53:32 04/02/2016
This is all moot at this point, of course. But in hindsight, you don't think that developing a Skylanders racing game as a side project (rather than splicing the racing game into a platforming game) would have been better?
---
#42 Posted: 14:56:03 04/02/2016
It would've, but then people would complain that the 3DS/Wii games aren't the same gimmick as console. I wouldn't be mad personally but again, no risks taken.
---
OimakKamio Yellow Sparx Gems: 1643
#43 Posted: 15:07:53 04/02/2016
i get everything right away. Best buy Gamers Club really helped this year as everything is 20% off minus the couple of exclusives to Target or Toys R Us.
---
Lioned33 PS4
LORD OIMAK XBOX
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me