Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > General > How would you make a Spyro the dragon Successor?
Page 1 of 1
How would you make a Spyro the dragon Successor? [CLOSED]
Trix Master 100 Diamond Sparx Gems: 8190
#1 Posted: 10:44:32 12/01/2016 | Topic Creator
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS OUT OF CURIOSITY! I AM IN NO WAY SAYING ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE SERIES AND ETC.

Recently I saw some video of some one kind of remaking the first Spyro game on the Unity engine (video here). And it got me thinking "If you can do that with a game engine, what's really stopping anyone from making a successor of their childhood?". Then pondered what you guys would do if you knew how to work any game engine.

I'll type my idea for a successor later (probably in this post), because it's late and I may not be thinking straight forward half of the time.

At the meantime, what would you guys do for a potential Spyro (Classic series) successor? What Engines would you us? What mechanics will you improve into your game that you always wanted to do? What would the story be about?
---
If you cannot handle me at my pumpkin spiciest, you do not deserve me at my pumpkin sweetest
icon from Empoh
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 10:46:15 12/01/2016 by Trix Master 100
Bryman04 Gold Sparx Gems: 2116
#2 Posted: 23:32:01 19/01/2016
Similar thing happening with Enter the Dragonfly, which I think is a little more deserved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWOC-3vai4

What I would to to make a succesor, is use hand drawn computer cells, giving a Okami feel, and return Spyro back to a Platform collect-a-thon. Kinda like-//forum.darkspyro.net/spyro/viewposts.php?topic=123666
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#3 Posted: 02:04:10 20/01/2016
Uh... I'm not sure that I would use an existing engine like Unity, CryEngine, or Unreal. To be honest I'd rather put it in the hands of an experienced developer team. Given that 3D platforming adventure games are kind of a rarity nowadays, the dev teams with the best track records in those departments would probably be Nintendo, Media Molecule, Insomniac Games (how ironic), Toys for Bob (again, ironic), Vicarious Visions (IROOOONIC), and Oddworld Inhabitants.

But given that Insomniac Games can't handle 60 FPS in their games anymore, I guess it'd look something like this:

Spyro: A Twisted Tail of Time
Publisher: Activision Blizzard
Developer: Vicarious Visions
Platforms: Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Steam
Engine: Alchemy Engine

Specs: 60 FPS gameplay, native 1080p HD graphics. This game would be designed for the two big consoles (sorry, but the Wii U ain't up to snuff, and its hardware would limit the game) but could be upscaled for PCs and Steam would allow for the usual round of character/texture/level mods and what not.

Story: It's just another relaxing day for Spyro (Josh Keaton) when he gets news that someone has broken into the (supposedly) heavily-guarded Dragon Treasury. Spyro and perennial companion Sparx (André Sogliuzzo) storm the treasury to find it under siege from the Skull Gang, led by Baron Skylgax (Kevin Michael Richardson), a dragon who had been missing from the Realms for many years. Skylgax manages to pilfer the treasury's 200 Time Gears, although Spyro manages to make him lose 5 in the Artisan's world. The dragon elders soon realize that the Skylgax and his associates Brutus (Fred Tatasciore), Kortix (Richard Steven Horvitz), Enigmax (John DiMaggio), and Spektra (Tara Strong) are using the Team Gears to travel throughout time and cause all manners of mischief. Using the Time Gears Spyro saved, The Professor (Billy West), Hunter (James Arnold Taylor), and Bianca (Allie Hillis) are able to create and power a time machine. Can Spyro travel throughout the time stream, rescue the Time Gears, and stop the Skull Gang before they undo the fabric of reality and destroy the universe?

Gameplay: The game would consist of 30 worlds (24 levels and 6 speedway levels) spread across 6 different time periods, ranging from prehistoric to the future. Spyro would explore the level and complete challenges to collect Time Gears and gems. Spyro would have access to fire, electricity, ice, and water breaths, which would be used for puzzle solving and also a rock/paper/scissors style enemy combat system. In addition, "time distortions" would factor into the levels, leading to gravity-based platforming and puzzles, along with points in levels where Spyro would speed up or slow down. Players would have to figure out how to navigate them to find the Time Gears, and other collectibles. They would include Dragon Glyphics that could be exchanged for time-based power ups such as Time Bombs (spheres of quantum energy that would freeze the target area) and historical scrolls used to unlock concept art.

Music By: Boris Salchow (Sunset Overdrive, Resistance series, Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time)
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5355
#4 Posted: 02:43:13 02/02/2016
Ratchet & Clank is already basically Spyro's successor. Unless you mean a Yooka-Laylee styled successor that is really more of a sequel with a new coat of paint.
---
Boop me if you see this.
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 9026
#5 Posted: 03:10:00 02/02/2016
Quote: Muffin Man
Ratchet & Clank is already basically Spyro's successor. Unless you mean a Yooka-Laylee styled successor that is really more of a sequel with a new coat of paint.

I'd say the original Ratchet & Clank and A Crack in Time are. The rest... not so much.
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me