Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
What is growing old for? [CLOSED]
Muffin Man Platinum Sparx Gems: 5337
#1 Posted: 05:04:24 23/11/2015 | Topic Creator
What possible positive benefit could come from growing weak and more susceptible to disease as we age? Shouldn't animals that stay strong and healthy longer have been the ones to reproduce most? Shouldn't evolution have made us all immortal by now?
---
Boop me if you see this.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#2 Posted: 05:22:34 23/11/2015
We are born to die~
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
somePerson Diamond Sparx Gems: 8399
#3 Posted: 05:24:23 23/11/2015
Johnny Appleseed traveled across the lands to give liquor.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#4 Posted: 08:54:43 23/11/2015
technology is kind of making us live longer though? i bet someone will eventually event a way to prevent aging
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Greeble Emerald Sparx Gems: 4276
#5 Posted: 14:28:56 23/11/2015
Quote: AvatariDragon
We are born to die~

Not me, i have a ticket to Neverland smilie
---
^ You all know it's true
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#6 Posted: 14:35:09 23/11/2015
I wish could paraphrase the genius speech from TTGL. Something to do with; if everyone lived forever, there would be no reason to improve, and newer generations would have nothing to strive for. Cycles have to come and go.

In science reason, though,I think DNA degrades over time or something and the matter just can't stay that way forever.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:36:04 23/11/2015 by Bifrost
#7 Posted: 14:41:12 23/11/2015
We're basically here to pass on accumulated knowledge, re-produce and then exit stage left.

Or stage right depending on your preference.
---
^ You all know it's true
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#8 Posted: 14:46:27 23/11/2015
Scientists aren't 100% sure why and how we age. It's kind of a difficult thing to research.
#9 Posted: 14:47:35 23/11/2015
Quote: Metallo
Scientists aren't 100% sure why and how we age. It's kind of a difficult thing to research.

I'm sure we could figure it out.

We have some of the most random minds the interweb has ever seen.
---
^ You all know it's true
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#10 Posted: 19:20:39 24/11/2015
Nothing is invulnerable to time. Not even nature has found a way to get over it (yet, at least). That's why she gave life beings reproduction skills, so life could be sustained despite the effects of time.

Keep in mind we are inteligence cans, our true purpose is to make inteligence exist, not life. Humans are only a middle step in the inteligence evolution, like an evoluting software in a fragile hardware.

The fact she allowed the most inteligent ones to rule the world, tell us how much importance she gave to this skill. Why does she wants inteligence to be perpetuated?why does she makes the most inteligent species the dominant one? She could have made the biggest or faster species the superior ones, but instead, inteligence proved to be the top hability. Nowadays, the rest of species are just a hobby for us, something to look at when we are bored. That was the way she wanted to be.

The question therefore is: why does she wants inteligence to rule and be perpetuated? The answer lies on the concept of inteligence itself: we are able to change the universe thorugh rational will, unlike the rest of the elements. When a river erodes everything on its path is an aleatory action, but when a human decides to do something, there's always a rational cause behind it. This rationality has led humanity to change its environment and everything surrounding them for the good (at least now we are doint it that way), becoming, therefore, the main force of the universe. Are we God's right hand? Don't know really, but what is clearis that one day we'll have so much power to change everything, that the universe will be a better place. The same way a rinoceront loves those birds which land on their skin to take off all those parasites, the universe loves inteligence because it finds its way to make everything better through rationality.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:36:50 24/11/2015 by angelg
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9943
#11 Posted: 19:43:49 24/11/2015
But isn't evolution about adapting to the surroudings and NOT and eternal improvement, because that's eventually not going to fit the place you're in? Dunno, people always seem to use that word in the biology sense thinking it works like file updates.

Unless that's what it means in your ideology, angelg, then disregard this :U
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
darkwolf Platinum Sparx Gems: 7038
#12 Posted: 20:17:24 24/11/2015
Wouldn't the world become overpopulated if we were immortal? Assuming people continue to have kids, of course.
Ice Dragoness Diamond Sparx Gems: 7896
#13 Posted: 21:40:26 24/11/2015
Quote: Greeble
Quote: Metallo

I'm sure we could figure it out.

We have some of the most random minds the interweb has ever seen.

We age because of mitochondria...
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#14 Posted: 22:24:17 24/11/2015
Quote: angelg
Nothing is invulnerable to time. Not even nature has found a way to get over it (yet, at least). That's why she gave life beings reproduction skills, so life could be sustained despite the effects of time.

Keep in mind we are inteligence cans, our true purpose is to make inteligence exist, not life. Humans are only a middle step in the inteligence evolution, like an evoluting software in a fragile hardware.

The fact she allowed the most inteligent ones to rule the world, tell us how much importance she gave to this skill. Why does she wants inteligence to be perpetuated?why does she makes the most inteligent species the dominant one? She could have made the biggest or faster species the superior ones, but instead, inteligence proved to be the top hability. Nowadays, the rest of species are just a hobby for us, something to look at when we are bored. That was the way she wanted to be.

The question therefore is: why does she wants inteligence to rule and be perpetuated? The answer lies on the concept of inteligence itself: we are able to change the universe thorugh rational will, unlike the rest of the elements. When a river erodes everything on its path is an aleatory action, but when a human decides to do something, there's always a rational cause behind it. This rationality has led humanity to change its environment and everything surrounding them for the good (at least now we are doint it that way), becoming, therefore, the main force of the universe. Are we God's right hand? Don't know really, but what is clearis that one day we'll have so much power to change everything, that the universe will be a better place. The same way a rinoceront loves those birds which land on their skin to take off all those parasites, the universe loves inteligence because it finds its way to make everything better through rationality.

I really don't think one species should have that kind of power to just change the universe to what they think is right. I mean, we already have so many wars here on Earth because person X decides they would be a better leader than person Y.
---
Dead
valskeletor Yellow Sparx Gems: 1155
#15 Posted: 02:58:23 25/11/2015
so we can evolve and diversify the genepool without overpopulating?

death is an evolutionary advantage for a species
---
tubular
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#16 Posted: 03:29:30 25/11/2015
death is god's punishment for sin.
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#17 Posted: 04:50:33 25/11/2015
~Die, die we all pass away,
But don't wear a frown 'cause it's really okay,
And you might try to hide, And you might try to pray,
But we all end up remains of the day.~
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
angelg Gold Sparx Gems: 2791
#18 Posted: 21:38:14 25/11/2015
Quote: Bifrost
But isn't evolution about adapting to the surroudings and NOT and eternal improvement, because that's eventually not going to fit the place you're in? Dunno, people always seem to use that word in the biology sense thinking it works like file updates.

Unless that's what it means in your ideology, angelg, then disregard this :U

p

I'm not really referring to evolution, is only an idea I used to say how importance inteligence seems to be. The concept of evolution is itself will not apply in several centuries, as humanity will be ready to decide it's own changes. We are the first species (as far as we know) that will not let nature decide how do we change, but rather we will decide what we want to be.Through genetic engineering and and technology we will be able to be whatever we want.

What I wanted to say is that inteligence seems to be an important force of the existence: the more inteligent we are, the more answers we get. Somehow inteligence seems to have an important role, as the smartest beings have proved to be at the top of the pyramid. Centuries ago, people looked at the sun and the moon, and believe them to be gods. Today we know what they really are. Do you imagine what impact what have been for egyptians at that time to meet someone of nowadays and hear about it?. As we become more and more smart, we have less and less misteries. Inteligence leads to answers, little by little the universe and it's unkwon things are lesser and lesser. What is at the end of the road? What is the final mystery? I don't know, but inteligence seems the be the path which leads to this revealing.

Quote: mega spyro
Quote: angelg

I really don't think one species should have that kind of power to just change the universe to what they think is right. I mean, we already have so many wars here on Earth because person X decides they would be a better leader than person Y.

True, we have wars here at Earth, our planet is not perfect by any means, but is also true that there's a tendency to peace. MOre than 70 years from the last great war at the developed countries have already passed, history has never seem such a huge period of pacifity in half of the world. This is not an isolated fact, is a tendency. There's a long way to go, but the planet is becoming more and more pacific. I Want to believe it's the same with other issues of the world. Is fair to say that we have a better life than people three centuries ago: no wars, better education, better life conditions in general etc. As weird as it seems looking how bad the world looks today, it was even worse 300 years ago. Do you imagine how people will live in 1000 years time? Maybe cancer will be a forgotten word, the same way today the "plague" is only a word in the history books.

True, there are still wars and a lot of issues, I will not argue that, but is also true that the past was even worse.
---
Life sucks...and then you die.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me