Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Video Gaming > Defying rules make games more fun!
Page 1 of 1
Defying rules make games more fun! [CLOSED]
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#1 Posted: 20:04:26 29/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Ever since HD consoles and achievements, games have gone soft and stupid while thinking it's hardcore and smart. Nowadays we have to follow rules to get achievements and trophies, psychologically pummelling us to do drag ourselves through the mud to get trophies. The likes of speedthroughs should be our own challenge, challenges we make for ourselves.

"Even if we have cheat codes, you won't get those achievements to compare to your friends."
- Random wussy spokesperson in modern times.

When I was playing Max Payne 3, I was thinking how people talk about games being like movies and then I thought "I want to dramatic action without QTEs." So in one of the rooftops in snowy nighttime Jersey, I decided to jump off the edge of a building, falling while shoot either two handguns or a shotgun, in bullet time, so it would be more like Sin City. I died obviously but it was worth it.

How about trying to replicate the CG trailer for Assassin's Creed III by charging head on against the British and kill'em with your axes? You would get shot in the final product but I'm someone wanted to live that moment and why not?

Surely any or all of you try to make the fun you wanted to do in a game.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Bifrost Diamond Sparx Gems: 9988
#2 Posted: 20:10:59 29/10/2015
Achievements are good if used well. They shouldn't be used for comparison when they're all story progression or something you'll get automatically; most of the ones I feel do it well are the ones that have a small set for story completion(mostly to say you can stop trying to look for more story),and the MAJORITY being secrets of random fun/dumb stuff to do with the game - say,beat it under 2 hours, get the secret room, beat the boss with only the bad weapons. People with a lot of time on their hands would do this anyway for bragging rights,but this gives the casuals a reason to go back to the game,and all of them benefit from having a bit of replay value like that.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 20:11:53 29/10/2015 by Bifrost
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#3 Posted: 20:13:39 29/10/2015

>not having to do any platforming in a platforming game

remind me why we play as Mario in Galaxy and not Rosalina
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#4 Posted: 20:21:46 29/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I mean more like wanting that emotional high to fulfil what you hope to do in a game, something you thought the game would let you do but it turns out it won't.

As for achievements. I'm not saying there's no merits to them. I love that PS trophy PING noise it makes but... say in GTA V, you want to get a jet fighter, you have three options. 1. Learn how to use the stock exchange system to get enough money to buy (and then search for) a jet fighter. 2. Find a way to get over that military fence to steal a jet fighter. 3. Use a cheat code and have a jet plane right away.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
sonicbrawler182 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7098
#5 Posted: 20:34:10 29/10/2015
^My point still stands.

>Galaxy depicted Rosalina as being capable of flight and teleportation, to name a few things. By all accounts, she easily would break the game if she were playable.
>Because we need to arbitrarily make Mario important, she isn't playable and doesn't use her powers to fix anything until the very end when **** hits the fan.
>3D World makes her playable.
>Not quite how I expected but she still breaks the game.

Also your title literally just says "defying rules makes games more fun" and that's what I do in my 3D World Rosalina speedruns. Because she breaks the game.
---
"My memories will be part of the sky."
The Bone Chompy Yellow Sparx Gems: 1201
#6 Posted: 02:17:26 04/11/2015
Oh...that's yours?
---
^This might be sarcasm.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me