Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > I'm gonna be completely open about this!
Page 1 of 1
I'm gonna be completely open about this! [CLOSED]
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#1 Posted: 18:41:05 16/10/2015 | Topic Creator
I've been here for a couple of weeks now, and you lot seem all-right, so I think it's ok for me to open up just a little... Well here goes.

You see, in another topic, specifically that anime one, some things happened, and I ended up looking a bit like a jerk. I didn't really want to go further with that for fear of looking like an SJW, but I thought that maybe if I explained then you'd have a better go at understanding, and knowing more about someone is generally steps to being better friends with them, so it's a win win. (And I made a new topic because I felt that talking about this there would kind of derail the topic...)

---

Anyway, here's the thing;

I am Japanese.

But I was born and raised in Australia.

My entire childhood was spent being the Asian completely surrounded by white fellas.

I was even bullied for being Asian! (Interestingly I was rarely, if ever, bullied for being a lesbian. I always assumed it was because calling someone "gay" doesn't carry the same weight anymore when they are actually gay...)

I like anime and I absolutely LOVE Japanese video-games.

While a lot of Final Fantasy fans consider FFX a low point in the series, it was one of my favorite games growing up.

I tend to close myself off from the outside world and become a part of this anime/JRPG world because I feel like I belong there. Because the people there are all Asians like me, who act and think like me, and do things that I would do in those situations. Not like all these weird aliens that people like to call "Anglo-Saxons", that I have to put up with every day. Who have these weird ideas that are completely alien to me like "Beer tastes good!" and "All video-games should be about bald marines with gravely voices!"

And that's why I get a little defensive around words like "Weeaboo". Because while consciously I know that you don't mean it like that, it hurts real bad when people act like becoming absorbed in my own people's culture/media is something to be ashamed of for some reason. Because, really, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.
RaymanTwilight Blue Sparx Gems: 947
#2 Posted: 18:58:24 16/10/2015
I hate the word "weeaboo". Unless you're terrifyingly obsessed with it, what's so wrong with liking anime and Japanese stuff? I'm a quarter-Japanese and I love Japanese things because it reminds me a lot of my family. I want the word "weeaboo" to be exterminated tbh. It's great that you're open about this so people will hopfully understand.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#3 Posted: 19:04:36 16/10/2015
Usually when using the word "weeb" I mean it as a tongue in cheek jab at friends or others to describe particularly Japanese-centric media or culture, or something niche that most western audiences wouldn't pay much mind to. I don't mean much harm in it and I'm also very aware of how I don't necessarily have much room to talk (I don't watch much anime or go super into that culture but I enjoy Vocaloid and play games like Persona, two things I would call "weeb").

I don't think you were around when I last used this here but if you did see it then I apologize. There really isn't any harm and it's more a passive jab.
Samius Hunter Gems: 9262
#4 Posted: 19:22:36 16/10/2015
Quote: QueenChrysalis
I've been here for a couple of weeks now, and you lot seem all-right, so I think it's ok for me to open up just a little... Well here goes.

You see, in another topic, specifically that anime one, some things happened, and I ended up looking a bit like a jerk. I didn't really want to go further with that for fear of looking like an SJW, but I thought that maybe if I explained then you'd have a better go at understanding, and knowing more about someone is generally steps to being better friends with them, so it's a win win. (And I made a new topic because I felt that talking about this there would kind of derail the topic...)

---

I am Japanese.

My entire childhood was spent being the Asian completely surrounded by white fellas.

I was even bullied for being Asian! (Interestingly I was rarely, if ever, bullied for being a lesbian. I always assumed it was because calling someone "gay" doesn't carry the same weight anymore when they are actually gay...)

While a lot of Final Fantasy fans consider FFX a low point in the series, it was one of my favorite games growing up.

I tend to close myself off from the outside world and become a part of this anime/JRPG world because I feel like I belong there. Because the people there are all Asians like me, who act and think like me, and do things that I would do in those situations. Not like all these weird aliens that people like to call "Anglo-Saxons", that I have to put up with every day. Who have these weird ideas that are completely alien to me like "Beer tastes good!" and "All video-games should be about bald marines with gravely voices!"

And that's why I get a little defensive around words like "Weeaboo". Because while consciously I know that you don't mean it like that, it hurts real bad when people act like becoming absorbed in my own people's culture/media is something to be ashamed of for some reason. Because, really, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Ah, now I see. Just so you'd know, a vast majority of the users of this forum are fans of Japanese culture (or at the very least are indifferent about it), so we don't really take terms like that seriously in this community. I figured that what happened was just a misunderstanding due to you being new, but I can definitely understand what you meant now.

But anyway, S&N is the kinda place where people like to joke around. We're a close-knit community, and when real fights do take place (which is rarely, I might add) they tend to escalate and end very quickly.
I would advice you to approach the topics posted on this board with a humorous, positive attitude, because as unfortunate as it sounds, other users aren't going to cater to your needs. Taking offense from something not meant to offend will just cause more misunderstandings.

And as this is a topic about your behavior, there's something that I really want to point out.
If what you want is to be accepted and liked, then don't assume the worst of others. Even those "Anglo-Saxons" who like male-oriented video games about bald soldiers shooting guns. They're just people, like you. A judgmental attitude isn't going to get anybody anywhere, no matter their race, nationality or preferences.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#5 Posted: 19:30:12 16/10/2015
I've never used the word "weeabo" unless I was joking at friends. I mean, there are people too obsessed with anime, but I don't like anime. I'm not going to go out of my way to insult someone, and I'm sorry for any time you've had your feelings hurt.
cowpowa23 Emerald Sparx Gems: 4833
#6 Posted: 00:16:03 17/10/2015
Quote: Samius
Quote: QueenChrysalis

---

I am Japanese.

Ah, now I see. Just so you'd know, a vast majority of the users of this forum are fans of Japanese culture (or at the very least are indifferent about it), so we don't really take terms like that seriously in this community. I figured that what happened was just a misunderstanding due to you being new, but I can definitely understand what you meant now.

But anyway, S&N is the kinda place where people like to joke around. We're a close-knit community, and when real fights do take place (which is rarely, I might add) they tend to escalate and end very quickly.
I would advice you to approach the topics posted on this board with a humorous, positive attitude, because as unfortunate as it sounds, other users aren't going to cater to your needs. Taking offense from something not meant to offend will just cause more misunderstandings.

And as this is a topic about your behavior, there's something that I really want to point out.
If what you want is to be accepted and liked, then don't assume the worst of others. Even those "Anglo-Saxons" who like male-oriented video games about bald soldiers shooting guns. They're just people, like you. A judgmental attitude isn't going to get anybody anywhere, no matter their race, nationality or preferences.

I'll just say "^this" and leave it here.

yep...
---
I am a Cow.

"Moo".
Pinkie the Pie Ripto Gems: 27
#7 Posted: 02:55:49 17/10/2015
Quote: RaymanTwilight
I hate the word "weeaboo". Unless you're terrifyingly obsessed with it, what's so wrong with liking anime and Japanese stuff? I'm a quarter-Japanese and I love Japanese things because it reminds me a lot of my family. I want the word "weeaboo" to be exterminated tbh. It's great that you're open about this so people will hopfully understand.

Well that used to be the actual meaning of the word until people started throwing it around everytime they heard that someone watched like a minute of an episode of some random anime.
Badwolfmichael Gold Sparx Gems: 2511
#8 Posted: 02:59:49 17/10/2015
Quote: Pinkie the Pie
Quote: RaymanTwilight

Well that used to be the actual meaning of the word until people started throwing it around everytime they heard that someone watched like a minute of an episode of some random anime.

People that actually use weeabo as an insult are stupid, and people who take it as an insult are stupider, I don't think anyone should get obsessed with anything, but I know I am obsessed with some fictional things.
ThroneOfMalefor Platinum Sparx Gems: 5391
#9 Posted: 03:58:38 17/10/2015
lighten up, please get used to this because it's tossed on the norm
---
BREATHE AIR.
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#10 Posted: 04:38:23 17/10/2015
If Japan hadn't surrendered after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and therefore we went through with Operation: Downfall, I wonder what the long-term cultural effects would've been.....
QueenChrysalis Green Sparx Gems: 465
#11 Posted: 04:53:27 17/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Metallo
If Japan hadn't surrendered after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and therefore we went through with Operation: Downfall, I wonder what the long-term cultural effects would've been.....

That would be Red Alert 3, apparently...
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me