Forum

Poll

Did you take part in the Spyro and Friends Grand Prix?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 7 of 46 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46
Unpopular Gaming Opinions
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2837
#301 Posted: 12:16:56 10/12/2015
I'm really glad that Undertale won against Pokemon R/B in GameFAQs' poll, because I think none of the Pokémon games deserve to be there

They don't really age well and, while the series might've been impressive when it was new, the first two gens of Pokémon aren't good now (regardless of the impact they had) and the series hasn't done anything groundbreaking or particularly well since then (heck, I think the peak of the series was HGSS and every game afterwards has been worse than the last, with the exception of ORAS > XY)
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#302 Posted: 12:25:55 10/12/2015
Since I've seen B2W2 hate around and finally got to finishing the main story, eh why the heck not.

Everyone keeps complaining Ghetsis' character got butchered, but it's intentional. Sure, everyone wanted more of trickster behind the scenes madman, but what GF did instead was just so clever - you're looking at an old bitter,MOST LIKELY crippled man with very little sanity left, and no one's going to bring him out of it because either he's long broken bonds or because the Shadow Triad is too loyal to get him real help. It's surprisingly heartless and anticlimatic that he just breaks down at the end and goes catatonic forever, but at the state he was, that's actually the most realistic outcome. I do wish he actually interacted with Colress onscreen though, because that character's the complete opposite(someone with his mind IN SO MUCH good standing he puts himself above morals but backs down once noticing that there's no need) and that realization that Ghetsis is now demented would've been more obvious.


I definately follow the popular opinion with Hugh though. The attempt at a non-rival was fine,but I really can't care enough for a walking narm script to feel bad at the end; needed a ton more development and less catchphrases and out-of-place speeches.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#303 Posted: 23:19:08 10/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drawdler
I'm really glad that Undertale won against Pokemon R/B in GameFAQs' poll, because I think none of the Pokémon games deserve to be there

They don't really age well and, while the series might've been impressive when it was new, the first two gens of Pokémon aren't good now (regardless of the impact they had) and the series hasn't done anything groundbreaking or particularly well since then (heck, I think the peak of the series was HGSS and every game afterwards has been worse than the last, with the exception of ORAS > XY)


I'll definitely agree that R/B haven't aged well at all, but one cannot deny the impact they've had on the gaming community and the world as a whole.

And why do none of the Pokémon games deserve to be on there? If anything doesn't deserve to be on there, it's Undertale.

Undertale, while a good game, has had little impact outside of places like Tumblr compared to the likes of Pokémon.
(A franchise that's had a huge impact, and still is a big deal to this day)

Not only that, but in a year or so Undertale's popularity will fade (Similar to other "Tumblr" games, such as FN@F and OFF) because of what little impact it's made.
At least Pokémon had a huge impact and is still going strong to this day. Undertale really isn't that special in comparison.
(Though I agree that Pokémon isn't really that special anymore either, but it still remains one of the biggest video game franchises because of the impact it had in the past)

I personally don't agree with Undertale beating even Super Mario World because SMW has actually aged much better than R/B.

I'm not even defending R/B because I agree that it hasn't aged well, but it at least still had a major impact on the gaming community as a whole unlike Undertale.

And to say that not even a single Pokémon game deserves to be on there when Pokémon, like it or not, is one of the biggest and most popular video game franchises is BS.
I understand that it's your opinion, but that part specifically deserves questioning.

And at least Pokémon doesn't require tons of people spamming votes for it to win. (Though I don't really care that it won regardless)

(Do keep in mind that I'm not trying to change your mind nor be disrespectful towards you, I just don't agree with the part about none of them deserving to be on there)
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 00:58:29 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#304 Posted: 23:26:51 10/12/2015
At least Undertale doesn't require tight-as-heck nostalgia goggles to see past the horrible glitches/AI and poor coding. You won't really know Undertale's impact until long into next year, especially if more non-violence-battles games start appearing they're not going to be made in less than 6 months.

But gamefaqs' best game ever poll is just a popularity poll, and until they put restrictions, we'll just be the first to rally like that. It'll have even less impact in the future other than that time tons of users got really salty over fake internet measurement.

And here you go, I don't like defending Undertale because it's not going to convince anyone to play, but sometimes the argument is too full of holes to not jump in.

For more unpopular gaming opinions on pokémon, don't give up on Sigilyph on first sight. You don't see a cyclops parrot thing shaped after Nazca lines every day,let alone with suuuch good moveset coverage.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 6 times - Last edited at 23:31:33 10/12/2015 by Bifrost
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#305 Posted: 23:34:10 10/12/2015 | Topic Creator
I already said that I agree that R/B didn't age well, no need to get salty over a Tumblr meme game. lol

And regardless, Undertale will never have anywhere as much of an impact as Pokémon.

It'll be popular for a little while and then die off, like FN@F and OFF.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 00:37:37 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#306 Posted: 23:36:59 10/12/2015
Well, since you're so good at predicting games, you might want to look over at FNAF's impact on how jumpscarey games becoming more accepted nowadays.(that being a good thing or not is up to discussion)

But Tumblr meme game?
[User Posted Image]
So I'm out on this argument.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 23:40:06 10/12/2015 by Bifrost
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#307 Posted: 23:46:33 10/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Regardless, FN@F's own popularity is starting to fade.

And I do like Undertale quite a bit, but even I can admit that Tumblr's made a meme out if it.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 00:22:50 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#308 Posted: 03:21:37 11/12/2015
Beyond: Two Souls is a boring, slow-paced, and unfun game and really doesn't deserve all the glowing praise it gets.

Star Wars: Battlefront is pretty good, and not the absolute failure everyone thinks it was.

I'm perfectly fine with the Final Fantasy 7 remake being episodic, as it allows further exploration of the characters Cloud shared his adventure with.
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#309 Posted: 03:42:11 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
I'm perfectly fine with the Final Fantasy 7 remake being episodic, as it allows further exploration of the characters Cloud shared his adventure with.


But are you okay with paying full price for each episode?
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#310 Posted: 03:53:05 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: StriderSwag
I'm perfectly fine with the Final Fantasy 7 remake being episodic, as it allows further exploration of the characters Cloud shared his adventure with.


But are you okay with paying full price for each episode?


The average price for an "episode" of a game is like 5 bucks, with most episodic games being around 20 dollars altogether. Even if it was 60 dollars altogether, it's worth the price, and Square Enix isn't stupid enough to make each episode the price of a full game.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#311 Posted: 03:54:22 11/12/2015
shesh people really need to chill on this topic. it's called unpopular opinions for a reason. you're not meant to like them.

how about listing your own unpopular opinions rather than always attacking everyone else's opinions? because there are few people on this topic that are doing exactly this, and it's rather annoying.

like someone else said, this topic may as well be changed to 'say your unpopular opinion and hope for no complaints'
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 03:56:35 11/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#312 Posted: 04:05:14 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Unpopular opinions =/= free from disagreements.

I'm not even attacking anyone for their opinions, just plainly disagreeing. (Which I'm allowed to do, btw)

Plus, if you're gonna post an unpopular opinion you're pretty much guaranteed to get someone who disagrees/has a different point of view anyways.

Quote: StriderSwag
The average price for an "episode" of a game is like 5 bucks, with most episodic games being around 20 dollars altogether. Even if it was 60 dollars altogether, it's worth the price, and Square Enix isn't stupid enough to make each episode the price of a full game.


I know, I was just asking if you'd be perfectly fine with them making each episode full-price.

Even if it's worth the price, it's certainly not a good idea. (Especially since the game should be complete to begin with, rather than rushed)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 04:10:12 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#313 Posted: 04:19:57 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: StriderSwag
The average price for an "episode" of a game is like 5 bucks, with most episodic games being around 20 dollars altogether. Even if it was 60 dollars altogether, it's worth the price, and Square Enix isn't stupid enough to make each episode the price of a full game.


I know, I was just asking if you'd be perfectly fine with them making each episode full-price.

Even if it's worth the price, it's certainly not a good idea. (Especially since the game should be complete to begin with, rather than rushed)


No I wouldn't, but that'd be like making every Telltale Games episode full price. It's extremely unlikely.
Also I completely fail to see how it's rushed at all.
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#314 Posted: 04:23:41 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: StriderSwag
No I wouldn't, but that'd be like making every Telltale Games episode full price. It's extremely unlikely.
Also I completely fail to see how it's rushed at all.


I agree, I was just asking.

The fact that they have to release it in parts is why it feels rushed to me.

I feel like they're doing it just to give something to the impatient fans and to have something for the anniversary.

And, tbh, I feel that it would be more respectful to have the complete game than for it to be split up in parts, regardless of the content contained.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#315 Posted: 04:37:40 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: StriderSwag
No I wouldn't, but that'd be like making every Telltale Games episode full price. It's extremely unlikely.
Also I completely fail to see how it's rushed at all.


I agree, I was just asking.

The fact that they have to release it in parts is why it feels rushed to me.

I feel like they're doing it just to give something to the impatient fans and to have something for the anniversary.

And, tbh, I feel that it would be more respectful to have the complete game than for it to be split up in parts, regardless of the content contained.


Oh, okay! I understand now.

Well with it coming out in parts, it can both satisfy the fans and release for the anniversary, but that doesn't mean its rushed at all. Good episodic games (i.e. Telltale's The Walking Dead, Life is Strange, Half Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2) all wait at minimum a few months before the next part gets released, and I foresee that happening with Final Fantasy 7.

This is pretty much a full remake, so keep that in mind. They're editing parts of the story and revamping the combat, so that could take a while, and an episodic format could give them time to get feedback from fans and critics on what things to improve on in the next part, making it better than before.

And it'd be respectful to not port it to every goddamn console over and over again, but clearly that's not gonna stop.
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#316 Posted: 04:39:57 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
I guess you have a point, but eh...

And Square does that with every Final Fantasy game, so yeah...
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2837
#317 Posted: 06:36:21 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
And why do none of the Pokémon games deserve to be on there? If anything doesn't deserve to be on there, it's Undertale.

Because I think the title should just be about how good games are, regardless of their impact. I would never call any Pokémon game the greatest game ever, even though the series is a phenomenon.

My opinion did change a bit, though. If I had to make a greatest games list that was as long as the poll's, I would probably add HGSS and maybe one or two other games from the series. But for one thing, I don't think they deserve a high spot and for another thing, about 50% of my collection is Nintendo games and I only have about 300 games (50% of which I either haven't beaten or haven't started), so I haven't really played enough to make that kind of list anyway.
Yes, I'm still criticising the inclusion of Pokémon on the poll, but at least I'm admitting that I couldn't really make my own list anyway. I probably wouldn't be annoyed about it if it weren't RB/GS and better Pokémon games were on the poll.

But, like Bifrost said, it's just a popularity contest so it isn't surprising. It still annoys me how it is that way, but it's freaking GameFAQs (where masterful poetry like this and this and this and this and a terrible NSFW fanfic about Shulk's Monado all get posted- and most other topics turn out like this).

Also, sorry if I missed anything in your post, I really just skimmed through it 'cause I'm moving around a lot today and I gotta go.
---
Quote: ThefirstNapkin
You'll always be the OG Jojo fan here
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:37:05 11/12/2015 by Drawdler
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#318 Posted: 06:47:56 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: Drawdler
- wall of text -


There are a lot of games on there that I wouldn't call the 'greatest game ever' - Undertale being one of them - but I don't have a problem with them being on there.

I feel that G/S/C have aged a lot better than R/B/Y, but I digress. (I actually like G/S/C, while R/B/Y are only good for nostalgia and nothing more)

It is literally nothing more than a popularity contest. It doesn't mean much in the end.
(Plus, 'best game ever' polls don't objectively work because of how subjective the idea is)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 06:49:03 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#319 Posted: 07:20:07 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Quote: Drawdler
- wall of text -


There are a lot of games on there that I wouldn't call the 'greatest game ever' - Undertale being one of them - but I don't have a problem with them being on there.

I feel that G/S/C have aged a lot better than R/B/Y, but I digress. (I actually like G/S/C, while R/B/Y are only good for nostalgia and nothing more)

It is literally nothing more than a popularity contest. It doesn't mean much in the end.
(Plus, 'best game ever' polls don't objectively work because of how subjective the idea is)


Exactly. Everyone has different tastes, so it's different for everyone, and the same goes for movies. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is regarded all the time as the "best game ever" but what I think is the best game ever is completely different. (It's Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for those of you wondering, which was no one.)

Undertale only one because of their dedicated fanbase spamming the votes. Granted, I'd take Undertale over the original Pokemon games any day, but without the vote spamming they definitely wouldn't have one. GameFAQs is weirdly biased against the game, and it was honestly pretty unfair to match it up against a nostalgia packed mega franchise, but it wouldn't have won without spamming. There's really no moral high ground here.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 07:20:39 11/12/2015 by StriderSwag
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 5722
#320 Posted: 07:30:06 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
And regardless, Undertale will never have anywhere as much of an impact as Pokémon.


Aren't the GameFAQ polls about a figurative "Best Game Ever" and not "Most Impactful Game Ever"? Impact doesn't really mean much or else something like Super Mario Bros or Pong would win by default.

Quote: Bifrost
Well, since you're so good at predicting games, you might want to look over at FNAF's impact on how jumpscarey games becoming more accepted nowadays.(that being a good thing or not is up to discussion)


I thought Amnesia started this trend of suspense, jump scare, Let's Play bait games, and FNAF is just one of the more popular examples that have come up since then.
---
Thank you for eight years of hospitality. Until next time.
CelesteInk Blue Sparx Gems: 595
#321 Posted: 10:25:43 11/12/2015
Okay well... nobody get angry at me, remember... this says "opinions". lol. I think Pokemon has lost its jazz after the first few games. There's nothing exciting about new Pokemon anymore, especially since so many of the clones (even the really bad clones found on Android and such) have more creative and fun monsters to collect. It's become predictable, and it's really just a great piece of bubblegum that lost its flavor a while ago. New Pokemon on the list is just not enough to keep the series fresh, and neither is new graphics. Although there's been a few slight changes in the series, if you've played one of the main entries, you've pretty much played all of them.

@StriderSwag I've already said this here before, but as you brought it up, I want to say it again... I really, really cannot stand when people say Ocarina of Time is the "best game ever". Honestly, I don't even think it's a good game... hardly even a decent one. It may have been an impactful game since it did something so gutsy and new, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's one of the times where nostalgia angers me, as people play such incredible, brilliant games, but because they played Ocarina of Time as a kid, it just so happens to be the best one? Blugh.
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#322 Posted: 10:30:22 11/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
Unpopular opinions =/= free from disagreements.

I'm not even attacking anyone for their opinions, just plainly disagreeing. (Which I'm allowed to do, btw)

Plus, if you're gonna post an unpopular opinion you're pretty much guaranteed to get someone who disagrees/has a different point of view anyways.


I do understand that there will be disagreements, but when the topic gets flooded with it and there is more disagreements than actual opinions, then it starts to get bothersome.

And like I said, these opinions are unpopular, you're not meant to like it, so don't expect these opinions will agree to your taste despite that.

Quote: CelesteInk
Okay well... nobody get angry at me, remember... this says "opinions". lol. I think Pokemon has lost its jazz after the first few games. There's nothing exciting about new Pokemon anymore, especially since so many of the clones (even the really bad clones found on Android and such) have more creative and fun monsters to collect. It's become predictable, and it's really just a great piece of bubblegum that lost its flavor a while ago. New Pokemon on the list is just not enough to keep the series fresh, and neither is new graphics. Although there's been a few slight changes in the series, if you've played one of the main entries, you've pretty much played all of them.


Eh, I don't know what it's like to be a 'I've grown up with 1st gen' type of person, so I don't really know what it's like to be a fan of Pokemon from the very beginning. I haven't properly played B/R/Y or G/S/C. I was a fan of Pokemon before third gen, but I wasn't playing any of the games; I was only watching the anime. I've grown up mainly with 3rd gen since that was when I started playing actual Pokemon games, although it was weird with me; I was mostly playing the side games of the 3rd gen like Colosseum, XD and Rescue Team, and I only played Emerald through my sister's version and I was only leveling up her Pokemon for her. I couldn't get the game for myself since I didn't have any money for it and I didn't own a Gameboy Advance (I never owned a Gameboy Color for that matter). So I waited until Diamond and Pearl. So I didn't get to play an actual Pokemon game until 4th gen, so the series is still kind of fresh to me. You're not the only one who thinks that though. There's a lot of people who think that Pokemon got bad after G/S/C.

But I do agree that Pokemon should change things up a bit. That's why I like 5th gen since it kind of gave a reboot to the Pokemon games since no Pokemon in previous gens were obtainable (well in the first game anyway), it had more of a story, the music was great, and a lot of characters had character development like the gym leaders. Also I really liked Hugh and he's my favourite rival. He was a badass rival, which is something we hadn't seen for awhile, yet he wasn't a jerk to the player like Blue and Silver were and was still a friend. I was disappointed that X/Y ended up being so plain considering the games that came before it had a lot of emphases on story and characters. X/Y seemed all about the graphics and that's it. The only good thing about X/Y was the Pokemon.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 8 times - Last edited at 11:09:06 11/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#323 Posted: 11:35:12 11/12/2015
XY seemed to be pandering to fans of the first gens, and it shooows with the pokémon selection at the first few towns. And it seemed to have worked for quite a few people that said they had fallen out of the franchise long ago, graphics update being the first major reason.

But I agree with DarkCynder on GenV. I saw someone mention that not even two days ago; I don't want to see the same damn Zubat in every cave,the same Tentacool/Magikarp in every puddle, the same Snorunt in every ice area in every single game, even if a Swoobat, Frillish or Cubchoo are still annoying,it's variety.
Unless it's a Basculin in that pond. Who in their right mind created the horror that is Basculin on early game?! e_e


And CAV, I guess Amnesia and maaaybe Slender made the jumpscarey games popular,but FNAF made them the cool thing to do, I guess. Kinda like Super Mario 64 versus Banjo-Kazooie for the lack of a better genre comparison.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:36:52 11/12/2015 by Bifrost
Knight Wolf Emerald Sparx Gems: 3964
#324 Posted: 11:47:07 11/12/2015
Payday is still a really good game and all those that are complaining about micro-transactions are fools. Like, seriously.
---
Your messing with my Zen thing people. @Hawksider
CelesteInk Blue Sparx Gems: 595
#325 Posted: 14:45:25 11/12/2015
Since brought up, yet another unpopular opinion I need to state... xD
I don't think DLC and micro-transactions are that bad of a thing... even if the DLC is locked on disk from release. I miss the days where most games allowed you to unlock everything, but if the game feels full, and I don't feel like I had half of it stolen from me, then please, have DLC! One of the worst feelings as a gamer is when you've finished your game, and you just want more. I loved getting Vergil mode on DmC, I loved the extra chapters on Final Fantasy XIII-2, I loved the new bits of clothing to customize on Soul Calibur V. I've seen DLC I don't entirely agree with, but generally, I really don't see the problem.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#326 Posted: 17:18:12 11/12/2015
Quote: Knight Wolf
Payday is still a really good game and all those that are complaining about micro-transactions are fools. Like, seriously.



The only reason people's me are getting mad about the microtransactions is because the devs promised before that they would never put them in the game. I haven't played Payday 2 in quite a while so I don't have an opinion on the microtransactions quite yet, but I'm fairly certain everyone is just whining about them.

That being said, I haven't seen a lot of people excited for the Point Break DLC, but I'm actually really hyped.
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 5722
#327 Posted: 18:29:51 11/12/2015
Quote: Bifrost
And CAV, I guess Amnesia and maaaybe Slender made the jumpscarey games popular,but FNAF made them the cool thing to do, I guess. Kinda like Super Mario 64 versus Banjo-Kazooie for the lack of a better genre comparison.


I'd still say that Amnesia made the suspense jumpscare thing popular especially through internet reaction videos. Slender took it a step further and made it even more popular. It was already cool to do before but FNAF was a unique one who's mysterious lore and iconic (for lack of a better term) characters made it stand out and catch on better than others before it. Slender didn't have a story in the background like FNAF supposedly does.

I could just be missing something though. Slender is the only one of these types of games I've played (never again please).
---
Thank you for eight years of hospitality. Until next time.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:30:57 11/12/2015 by CAV
ThroneOfMalefor Emerald Sparx Gems: 4076
#328 Posted: 18:54:27 11/12/2015
I just can't take people seriously when they say that Undertale will make a significant impact? I dunno, it really didn't do anything major from what I've seen, the battle system is k and music is phenomenal but the game just takes it too easy on you and that was really disappointing. It's not a hardcore game by any means so it soured too quickly for me after two playthroughs. It cracks some clever lines here and there but regardless of having more than one end the game is remarkably short and painfully linear imo so the second time through you already have the "heard it all" mentality and eh the hype is toxic and sets you up for disappointment.

If someone could give me an example of an innovation Undertale has brought to the table besides a possible wave of bad Undertale ripoffs then please tell me.

edit: I don't think Pokemon should get best game ever either, regardless of how much I love the franchise. To me they fall just off the board in that category but arguably Gen II (the GBC releases) and forward are perfectly playable today unlike the zombie that is R/B/Y/G.
---
i'm happy, you not
it's just perspective
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:57:02 11/12/2015 by ThroneOfMalefor
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#329 Posted: 19:00:24 11/12/2015
I've never played any because I'm a huge scaredy cat,though because of the lore and the aesthetics I look at screenshots and articles on them. I get crazy jumpscares from creepers(even several feet away) and tools breaking in Minecraft, it speaks for itself.

On the DLC thing, I think it's alright if it's content you couldn't finish in time for launch,but the main problem with Day One and on-disc is that years ago that stuff would just be unlockable, and for free. That picture of selling you pieces of a hamburger instead of a whole one that you have to finish with all different tastes and textures comes to mind. Not to mention those games that have enough DLC to pay several good Steam games or very overpriced few ones.

ThroneOfMalefor, as I said before,the main innovation is non-violent combat features. Some niche games out there already have some diplomatic measures instead of fighting,but Undertale goes for a situation you couldn't avoid starting,but you can end non-violently. Yeah,some of the spare methods are a bit too ridiculous to work elsewhere(wiggling at Moldsmal, picking on Astigmatism when he's a demanding bully), but having ways of messing with your enemy's psyche in a positive(or negative in the rare Heckle dialogue with Snowdrake) ways that they'll decide to let you be is what opens a whole new window of possiblities. I could put it all in the example of the Royal Guards 01 and 02 fight but that's kind of a spoiler since part of the fun is finding out what's going on when you don't even know them.

Basically,the bunny guard 01 has feelings for 02, and you need to make the latter take his chest armor off so 01 gets flustered and his attacks stop working, and suggest him to confess his feelings.

I guess Undyne also counts as a negative way of stopping the fight nonviolently,since you need to run away into a lava-covered area so she starts having heat stroke and has to run back once you keep her from passing out. Don't worry,you make up for it if you visit her after this.


And I mean,who doesn't want to fluster enemies into being nicer to you by flirting in a PG-13 game? Ok, I don't,but with some reseach,you could create more realistic "enemies" that you could mess with in so many fun ways.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 9 times - Last edited at 19:13:00 11/12/2015 by Bifrost
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#330 Posted: 19:11:50 11/12/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
I just can't take people seriously when they say that Undertale will make a significant impact? I dunno, it really didn't do anything major from what I've seen, the battle system is k and music is phenomenal but the game just takes it too easy on you and that was really disappointing. It's not a hardcore game by any means so it soured too quickly for me after two playthroughs. It cracks some clever lines here and there but regardless of having more than one end the game is remarkably short and painfully linear imo so the second time through you already have the "heard it all" mentality and eh the hype is toxic and sets you up for disappointment.

If someone could give me an example of an innovation Undertale has brought to the table besides a possible wave of bad Undertale ripoffs then please tell me.

edit: I don't think Pokemon should get best game ever either, regardless of how much I love the franchise. To me they fall just off the board in that category but arguably Gen II (the GBC releases) and forward are perfectly playable today unlike the zombie that is R/B/Y/G.



I agree for the most part, but I highly disagree that a game has to be hardcore or challenging to be good. There are plenty of great games that take it easy on you for the most part, Pokemon games included.
ThroneOfMalefor Emerald Sparx Gems: 4076
#331 Posted: 19:14:36 11/12/2015
Neither do Fantasy Life and To The Moon. Not killing anyone is a cool thing I guess but I don't see where that is going to take the game. There is no killing in Pokemon Ranger either, you just circle them enough until they are befriended. It has a stance but it's been done numerous times already so I just don't think that one arguably small factor dons the game "the best game ever". I feel the game's more of a dose of pep than anything, and a really good one. Don't get me wrong, the game was pretty damn good the first time, but because of its limitations I can't help but think it may just fade into obscurity soon enough. The 2D retro style indie game visuals also need to be given a rest because it isn't uncommon anymore when games of the style were praised for being different.

@Strider I didn't say it has to be hardcore to be good, I said I prefer hardcore so it isn't the game for me.
---
i'm happy, you not
it's just perspective
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:15:32 11/12/2015 by ThroneOfMalefor
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6699
#332 Posted: 19:22:47 11/12/2015
Again, it's not killing,it's ending a fight nonviolently. You can't actually stop the monsters from throwing magic at you not knowing you'll get badly hurt, but you can make them stop eventually. I guess Pokémon Ranger gets close to that,but they never really attack you directly as long as your beyblade thing doesn't get damaged, and the only way to stop them is still using other pokémon to annoy and using that... Friendliness circle? I forgot how it worked, haven't played Shadows of Almia in months. In here it's from letting germophobics clean you with healing magic to encouraging a volcano on throwing lava at others, you don't ever need your weapon/special device except for some extra dialogue/spare conditions depending on what you carry.

I definately don't think Undertale is the best game ever(it can't beat its own inspiration in the MOTHER series in my opinion), but it's one of the best indies *this year* for sure. Rocket League still wins by overall quality and replayability, and maybe Axiom Verge nails the homage better,but from a game made by a single trolling musician, it's amazing and I definately want to remember and keep the mechanics in mind for years to come.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 19:24:17 11/12/2015 by Bifrost
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#333 Posted: 19:23:31 11/12/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
Neither do Fantasy Life and To The Moon. Not killing anyone is a cool thing I guess but I don't see where that is going to take the game. There is no killing in Pokemon Ranger either, you just circle them enough until they are befriended. It has a stance but it's been done numerous times already so I just don't think that one arguably small factor dons the game "the best game ever". I feel the game's more of a dose of pep than anything, and a really good one. Don't get me wrong, the game was pretty damn good the first time, but because of its limitations I can't help but think it may just fade into obscurity soon enough. The 2D retro style indie game visuals also need to be given a rest because it isn't uncommon anymore when games of the style were praised for being different.

@Strider I didn't say it has to be hardcore to be good, I said I prefer hardcore so it isn't the game for me.


I could be wrong, but those aren't near as popular as Undertale is.

And other games with similar graphics and limitations always do. Even Shovel Knight, arguably the highest received indie game somewhat similar to Undertale, died after time. Granted it's getting an amiibo and tons of ports, but it isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be. As much as I love Undertale, that's just how it is in the gaming industry.

Oh okay. I understand.
ThroneOfMalefor Emerald Sparx Gems: 4076
#334 Posted: 19:31:04 11/12/2015
Yeah, you spin the styler around the target and create closed loops, using friend Pokemon makes the capture easier but you can monotonously whip the stylus around the screen to get the job done. That's true, words are a mighty weapon in the game and it was very fun putting the pieces together.

Oh geez, no doubt one of the best this year hands down. Don't get me wrong, this game was very refreshing and a slap in the face to the stereotypical JRPGs that made foundation on battles and gaining EXP and the dialogue was clever. Many people will have an easy time finding something they'll like somewhere in there.

@theswag The only reason they aren't popular is because they didn't pass the "throw at wall, see what sticks" test which is arguably luck. Also, the simple fact that the game's creator had their musical compositions show up on Homestuck, hence why the game picked up on tumblr. I don't like sounding like a broken record but popularity never dictated how good a game is, it only gives you an idea.

I guess... That's why I don't see it going too far.
---
i'm happy, you not
it's just perspective
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:36:03 11/12/2015 by ThroneOfMalefor
epicLLOYD Yellow Sparx Gems: 1819
#335 Posted: 20:51:59 11/12/2015
I H-A-T-E Rosalina, there really is nothing wrong with the character but she is way too overglorifed, fight me sonicbrawler jk
---
The grand return that nobody asked for, epicLLOYD.
StriderSwag Gold Sparx Gems: 2769
#336 Posted: 21:03:24 11/12/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
@theswag The only reason they aren't popular is because they didn't pass the "throw at wall, see what sticks" test which is arguably luck. Also, the simple fact that the game's creator had their musical compositions show up on Homestuck, hence why the game picked up on tumblr. I don't like sounding like a broken record but popularity never dictated how good a game is, it only gives you an idea.

I guess... That's why I don't see it going too far.


To be fair though, he has used that Megalovania track on the three major projects he's worked on, those being Mother, Homestuck, and Undertale.
ThroneOfMalefor Emerald Sparx Gems: 4076
#337 Posted: 21:11:04 11/12/2015
The point is tumblr gravitated towards Homestuck a lot more than Mother.
---
i'm happy, you not
it's just perspective
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#338 Posted: 22:08:32 11/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: CelesteInk
@StriderSwag I've already said this here before, but as you brought it up, I want to say it again... I really, really cannot stand when people say Ocarina of Time is the "best game ever". Honestly, I don't even think it's a good game... hardly even a decent one. It may have been an impactful game since it did something so gutsy and new, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's one of the times where nostalgia angers me, as people play such incredible, brilliant games, but because they played Ocarina of Time as a kid, it just so happens to be the best one? Blugh.


Regardless of whether or not you think it's a good game, it's still loved by a ton of people and not just because of 'nostalgia' either.
(Plus, from what I've gathered from you, the only reason you don't like the game is because of the fanbase, which is honestly quite a silly reason to dislike it)

Not everyone loves it because of 'nostalgia'. My nostalgia for the game wore off a long time ago, but I still enjoy playing the game to this day.

Do I think it's the 'best game ever'? No, but I still like playing the game, which means it still somehow holds up to this day.
(Then again, there is no such thing as the 'best game ever' because that idea is, once again, entirely subjective)

Quote: DarkCynder_543
I do understand that there will be disagreements, but when the topic gets flooded with it and there is more disagreements than actual opinions, then it starts to get bothersome.

And like I said, these opinions are unpopular, you're not meant to like it, so don't expect these opinions will agree to your taste despite that..


There isn't more disagreements than opinions, though. lol

I didn't say that I was meant to like it, but I can still disagree with them if I choose to.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 22:15:02 11/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
parisruelz12 Hunter Gems: 7124
#339 Posted: 00:02:21 12/12/2015
I like the story to Pokemon X/Y.


Does it make it the best story Pokemon has had? Hell ****ing no.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...in hd
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 5745
#340 Posted: 01:16:20 12/12/2015
"True form" Midna feels like a bad alternate universe version of a much better character. Mootbird sums it up perfectly:

[User Posted Image]
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3216
#341 Posted: 01:26:49 12/12/2015
I don't know if I already posted this, but here we go:

Werehog is my favorite Sonic transformation, booth in design and gameplay. And I only played the PS2/Wii version of Unleashed, so that's surprising even for me.
---
Funny Spooky
Sleepy0429 Gold Sparx Gems: 2716
#342 Posted: 01:27:13 12/12/2015
Earthworm Jim could be great if done right.
---
>TFW not emerald
skylandersspyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3058
#343 Posted: 01:48:32 12/12/2015
Quote: Crash10
I don't know if I already posted this, but here we go:

Werehog is my favorite Sonic transformation, booth in design and gameplay. And I only played the PS2/Wii version of Unleashed, so that's surprising even for me.



It's worse on 360/PS3. I played Wii and 360. Wii is better.
---
Uh Uh Uh! You didn't say the magic word!
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#344 Posted: 02:02:40 12/12/2015
Quote: ThroneOfMalefor
Yeah, you spin the styler around the target and create closed loops, using friend Pokemon makes the capture easier but you can monotonously whip the stylus around the screen to get the job done. That's true, words are a mighty weapon in the game and it was very fun putting the pieces together.

Oh geez, no doubt one of the best this year hands down. Don't get me wrong, this game was very refreshing and a slap in the face to the stereotypical JRPGs that made foundation on battles and gaining EXP and the dialogue was clever. Many people will have an easy time finding something they'll like somewhere in there.

@theswag The only reason they aren't popular is because they didn't pass the "throw at wall, see what sticks" test which is arguably luck. Also, the simple fact that the game's creator had their musical compositions show up on Homestuck, hence why the game picked up on tumblr. I don't like sounding like a broken record but popularity never dictated how good a game is, it only gives you an idea.

I guess... That's why I don't see it going too far.


Actually, a reason why the game became popular on Tumblr is because it contains modern issues. It has homosexual pairings, a main character that isn't based on 'are you a boy or a girl?' and instead is a character who is whatever you want it to be, contains a character who suffers from not liking herself and probably has depression, a female who is a complete tomboy badass and a male who likes girly things, etc. Off course Tumblr is going to get their hands on a game like that. They always do.

Quote: Razz
"True form" Midna feels like a bad alternate universe version of a much better character. Mootbird sums it up perfectly:

[User Posted Image]


I agree. I've always been disappointed with Midna's final form, and I wish they stuck with the original one because that one looked a lot more convincing. To me the original one that got ditched will always be Midna's true form.

Although I didn't agree with that very last part. Wind Waker is a really great game, and contains Tetra.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#345 Posted: 02:07:27 12/12/2015 | Topic Creator
I honestly don't have a problem with Midna's true form. Like, she's literally no different than how she already was. Being pretty doesn't really change her character overall.

Plus, as an imp she'd have a lot more freedom than she would as a respected princess.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:10:50 12/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#346 Posted: 02:21:38 12/12/2015
I just mainly prefer her original true form design, which is in the bottom right:

[User Posted Image]

It just looks a lot cooler and more believable to be Midna and I wish it stayed. She still had a beautiful look to her, but at the same time it stayed true to a monster-like appearance. I never liked how the true form that's in the game looks human, since her race doesn't look human. :\

It also seemed like they were going for more of a demonic beast for Link's wolf form, which looks interesting. Heck those two other design for for the Wolf Link and Midna duo look really cool actually.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 02:30:16 12/12/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#347 Posted: 02:26:58 12/12/2015 | Topic Creator
That's fine and all, but the Twili aren't supposed to be monsters.

Her race doesn't look entirely human because they don't carry royal blood, and Zant looks the way he does because he's meant to be scary and intimidating.

Midna on the other hand even in her imp form has more human-like eyes, and of course they were going to make her look more human compared to Zant.
(Who, once again, was purposely made to look scary, while Midna was meant to be the exact opposite)

Not only that, but there have been plenty of instances where more important members of a race look quite a bit different from the rest.
(i.e King Zora and Princess Ruto from OoT)
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 02:30:59 12/12/2015 by Sesshomaru75
parisruelz12 Hunter Gems: 7124
#348 Posted: 02:28:53 12/12/2015
Quote: Sesshomaru75
That's fine and all, but the Twili aren't supposed to be monsters.



Yeah, I think I remember Midna saying that they didn't usually look like this; they were corrupted, hence why Link was a wolf.

I could be wrong though, I haven't played it in a while. smilie
---
looks like ive got some things to do...in hd
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5958
#349 Posted: 02:32:05 12/12/2015 | Topic Creator
Quote: parisruelz12
Yeah, I think I remember Midna saying that they didn't usually look like this; they were corrupted, hence why Link was a wolf.

I could be wrong though, I haven't played it in a while. smilie


They were heavily altered by Zant, and even when they weren't monsters it's implied that they still weren't the way they were supposed to look due to Zant's power.
Razz Platinum Sparx Gems: 5745
#350 Posted: 03:50:07 12/12/2015
I'm with you DarkCynder. If they had to make her generic tall pretty lady, the more alien design for her big form made a lot more sense given what we were told about the Twilight and the Twili in it. In terms of personality, her "true form" just doesn't seem like it's her at all; so serious, all dignity and no fun. I tend to treat "true form" Midna the same way I treat the offical Zelda timeline: you can take it or leave it and it doesn't really make that much sense when more closely examined. :D

Yeah, the comment about Wind Waker in the Mootbird article is the part I don't agree with; that's my favorite Zelda game. ^_^
First | Previous | Page 7 of 46 | Next | Last
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44 45 46

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me