Forum

Poll

Favourite icy themed level in Spyro 1-3?
View Results
First | Previous | Page 44 of 47 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Unpopular Gaming Opinions
parisruelz12 Hunter Gems: 7162
#2151 Posted: 19:52:33 26/03/2019
Quote: Chompy-King257
Skyrim belongs to the Nords, the Empire is obselete, and Ulfric is a hero.

[User Posted Image]

not being sarcastic btw
---
looks like ive got some things to do...in hd
Vespi Yellow Sparx Gems: 1381
#2152 Posted: 06:02:12 27/03/2019
Quote: parisruelz12

[User Posted Image]

not being sarcastic btw

[User Posted Image]

me neither
screw the stormcloaks
---
(◕︿◕✿)
I am Groot. (*I Guardians of the Galaxy 23:48*)
Chompy-King257 Gold Sparx Gems: 2904
#2153 Posted: 14:55:51 27/03/2019

[User Posted Image]

not being sarcastic btw

glad to see there are some fellow sons and daughters of skyrim here
---
sometimes that japanese future funk be hittin tho...
parisruelz12 Hunter Gems: 7162
#2154 Posted: 10:47:53 29/03/2019
Claptrap was never funny.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...in hd
#2155 Posted: 15:19:58 29/03/2019
Claptrap was never funny.

I feel like Claptrap started out funny, but fell victim to overuse, particularly in the Pre-Sequel. A character like that should be used sparsely, not constantly, which really ruined the value he had as a character.

On the topic of Borderlands, none of the Pre-Sequel was good. More people still play Borderlands 2 for a reason, and that reason is that the Pre-Sequel was garbage.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
Drawdler Gold Sparx Gems: 2876
#2156 Posted: 14:39:36 04/04/2019
Kid Icarus: Uprising is a love it or hate it game. But imo it's a slightly above average game overall. I will say, it has not aged well, as the sheer amount of content polish etc for a 3DS game aren't as dazzling in retrospect, the controls do have some adjustment and are impossible to instantly go back to, and the writing was much more annoying in retrospect (even though the characters and world and plot under that is fun).

Bad things: collecting weapons is ****ing awful, the balance is wack, there's a lot of janky design choices and a bunch of bull**** moments (on higher difficulties mainly), well-designed levels dragged down by really bad feel in the platforming (so you go between unbalanced-fun fighting to really unappealing running and jump pads and **** all the vehicles), there's a lot of it that isn't fun to replay, also online died after like a year and that was just fun while it lasted (even though the stupid weapon collecting made me lose interest initially)

The best part of the game is honestly the on-rails flying, even though a lot of it feels the same, simply because theres no fuss controlling that and you just keep feeling the satisfaction and get way cooler setpieces, they were shallow tho

Its certainly still worth a play if you're curious though, theres some stuff to really love like the attention to detail (in everything, graphics, the lore, feedback loop [even though you just get way too much junk], the ****ing menus) and sheer amount of content, structure is pretty good, again some pretty good level design (but the game just doesn't click with that well enough imo), weapons are mostly satisfying to use and blow stuff up with and there's a lot to enjoy about the whole style. And wow I just shat out the stuff I actually liked about the game. But I think that stuff and a lot of level design under the jank is worth it. 6/10 for very strange reasons. It feels like they just lost sight of some important stuff to me.

Fun fact, I actually have a complete set of the cards for this game in the official binder (besides the Japanese parade floats cards and some others I remember are like $300 each). I bought the whole set for $200 a couple of years back which is like 50c per card LOL.
---
Quote: dark52
Error: You
exefile Yellow Sparx Gems: 1356
#2157 Posted: 03:15:49 06/04/2019
I don't think anyone is going to agree with me but I think Pokemon is Nintendo's worst IP they've ever made.
Some things I might say here may be inaccurate (because I really don't care about Pokemon) so if they are then you can correct me if you want.
[b]Edit:[/b] Decided to change the first section because I never provided a proper reason to what I said.

First thing is the designs in general, some people complain that some Pokemon just look like real animals which doesn't bother me, I just think every Pokemon looks so stupid. Nothing about them is appealing, I don't care enough about their backstories and some of them have the dumbest names I've ever heard.
Some Pokemon are shapes with faces, different colours of jelly, random shapes mashed together with a face slapped on it or a bunch of LINES.
The names either have some weird pronunciations or have nothing to do with the Pokemon making the name seem forced because they didn't have a design idea in the first place.
The abilities some Pokemon have (mainly Arceus) are just "it's a god it can do all of this stuff isn't that INTERESTING?" Making a character be so overpowered in my opinion is really boring unless the character has development or the overpower is used for jokes (Arceus has none from what I know).
The only overpower-ish Pokemon I think has decent development is Mew/Mewtwo which is a freak accident (I think) and it doesn't know what it is.
I do have to give props to Nintendo though for still coming up with designs after over 900 Pokemon, I think that number kind of justifies some of the Pokemon designs not being very good.

Second thing is the way the games are released, usually having two separate games both being the price of one big game. I have no idea why they need to make 2 separate games when they can just make it one, probably because some Pokemon fans (not you) will by whatever Nintendo churns out that has the word Pokemon on the cover.
The worst case I can think of though is Pokemon Sun and Moon.
The gimmick of these two games being different is the in-game time of day, which should be two modes in one game but whatever, at least they tried to do something interesting.
Then comes Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon only 1 year after the original games, they are extensions to those games on the SAME CONSOLE.
I could understand if this was an enhanced port on another console after a few years have passed, these didn't need to be a completely different set of game cartridges, these could have been added as DLC or a free update.
So you have two games that should have been one, then you have re-releases for both games only one year later on the same console that should have been DLC.

Third thing is the actual game play (took me long enough), I haven't ever actually played a Pokemon game (because I don't want to waste an money on them), but from what I've seen you walk around a dull map and when a battle starts you just stand around, scroll through some menus and watch things happen. INTENSE.
Maybe there's more to it, but it looks like you do the same thing over and over again, I know this is common for RPG's with grinding though so as a positive I will give credit and say that the gimmick of "catching them all" is a good way to encourage people to find Pokemon and fill out a huge list, it worked on me with the spirit list in Smash Ultimate.
Music is always subjective but I find Pokemon music to either be average or annoying (Pokemon gold and silver has one of the worst soundtracks I've ever heard), there's just something about it I can't stand. (Lavender Town is annoying not scary)

I don't know what TL;DR means but basically:
[*]Pokemon have stupid names and designs
[*]The way each "generation" is released is great for Nintendo since they get twice the money by doing nothing (four times with unnecessary re-releases)
[*]The gameplay is slow and boring but to it's credit it gives players incentive to catch everything
[*]I personally don't like the music
[*]Nothing about Pokemon is scary or creepy and if you disagree than show me something sp00ky to change my mind
This is just my stupid opinion though, I know nobody else will agree but I've wanted to address my hate towards Pokemon for a while, so there's my petty whining.
---
"Shooting YouTubers in a barrel".
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 09:03:16 06/04/2019 by exefile
HotDogAndZap Emerald Sparx Gems: 3347
#2158 Posted: 03:29:15 06/04/2019
i agree with a lot of your points tbh, and im a big pokemon fan. a lot of it is uncreative and cash grabby, especially recent stuff. i dont let it bother me too much though and i dont let the things i dont like keep me from enjoying it.

(also tldr stands for too long, didnt read!)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:29:56 06/04/2019 by HotDogAndZap
pankakesparx456 Platinum Sparx Gems: 7076
#2159 Posted: 03:35:22 06/04/2019
[User Posted Image]

5char
---
Cool cool.
Sesshomaru75 Platinum Sparx [online] Gems: 5995
#2160 Posted: 04:06:42 06/04/2019 | Topic Creator
@exefile - I don't necessarily (Nor entirely) disagree with some of the things that you've said in your post, but a lot of it honestly came off as rather nonsensical more than anything. (Especially the comment about Hoopa)
I'm not sure if it's just because you're only 14, or...

I get that this is "Unpopular Gaming Opinions" and all, but there's a point where one is either not making a lot of sense, or is wasting their energy over something trivial.
(You appear to be doing a bit of both here by the look of things, if I'm to be completely honest)

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, it's just that some of your complaints don't really make much sense or come off as a tad inane.
---
Got you wrapped around my finger, babe ~ You can count on me to misbehave

#YangGang
Edited 5 times - Last edited at 04:31:55 06/04/2019 by Sesshomaru75
exefile Yellow Sparx Gems: 1356
#2161 Posted: 04:33:35 06/04/2019
Quote: Sesshomaru75
@exefile - I don't necessarily (Nor entirely) disagree with some of the things that you've said in your post, but a lot of it honestly came off as rather nonsensical more than anything. I'm not sure if it's just because you're only 14, or...

I get that this is "Unpopular Gaming Opinions" and all, but there's a point where one is either not making a lot of sense, or is wasting their energy over something trivial.
(You appear to be doing a bit of both here by the look of things, if I'm to be completely honest)

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, it's just that some of your complaints don't really make much sense or come off as a tad inane.

That's fair, I'm never really too good at explaining myself or sometimes my reasons don't make too much sense, I'm not used to typing these long posts and I forget to add some explanations.
---
"Shooting YouTubers in a barrel".
Bifrost Platinum Sparx Gems: 6742
#2162 Posted: 14:02:44 06/04/2019
I don't really understand a single part of something being "stupid", simple or generic equalling bad. Movies are just lights flashing and colors changing on a screen at intervals that imitate movement. EVERYTHING in the world is faces on blobs, lines, and different colors on similar textures. What matters is making that appealing or memorable - I don't care about Pikachu but he's a yellow rat, an eyecatching color, with very soft looking shapes contrasting with the bolt tail that shows that it's capable of putting up a fight. If you reduce everything to simple terms and deride it as such, nothing would be interesting anyway.

On the complex side, Arceus isn't even the most overpowered creature anymore, but he IS god. But he isn't a bearded man or light dragon jesus like so many franchises do, it's a Quilin with a really sterilized alien look and his main tool is a wheel with some mysterious power. That's interesting, the god of pokémon isn't human or ethereal, it's a white giraffe voiced by Tom Wayland.
---
I do art!
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK, IT'S TOO LATE
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 14:04:02 06/04/2019 by Bifrost
Bolt Platinum Sparx Gems: 5489
#2163 Posted: 22:12:05 06/04/2019
Ha, exe, I think I agree with you. I never got into pokemon like everyone else at my school did, and I think your post made me realise why. But again I never really thought about it because the franchise just never interested me that much. cx
The only thing I may disagree with you on a little is the designs. Some of them are ... pretty bad, but I do like their simplicity and a lot of the pokemons are really cute. Glaceon will always be adorable to me. But then, again, you have the $#!7 ones. Of course that comes down to personal preference, and I guess it's just my personal preference that I'm not into the franchise! Ah well pfft.

I completely agree with you on the two seperate game releases though. Never understood it. Just seemed like a huge cash grab, like you said. ;p
---
you don't know me. i break things
I draw stuff.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 22:15:28 06/04/2019 by Bolt
#2164 Posted: 02:49:25 07/04/2019
I've always really enjoyed Pokemon (Yellow was my first game ever, after all), and while I don't dislike it, the series definitely feels really really stale to me. I suppose I'll organize this into bullet points because I have no idea how to make it make sense as a coherent argument, but these are my issues:

-The gameplay always feels the same. I guess you can say that about literally every game series I like, but Pokemon feels like it definitely hasn't changed much since it initially came out. Now, I know, "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but they could at least add SOMETHING that spices up the gameplay. I don't really count mega evolutions or z-moves as something that changes the game though, since they just feel like using a little bit more powerful pokemon or a glorified cutscene. Let's Go definitely changed some things up with the gameplay, but it looks like Sword and Shield is just going back to the same formula. It sounds picky, I know, but I would have liked to keep things like seeing which Pokemon you'll encounter in the overworld, or integration with PoGo like the Meltan Box.

-Kanto. I'm really tired of Kanto. I'm really tired of Kanto. I'm really ****ing tired of Kanto. I know it was the first. I know it's the most popular. But honestly? People really keep their nostalgia goggles glued to their face whenever Kanto is brought up. I'll defend FireRed/LeafGreen because people needed them to get certain Pokemon over to new gens and they were perfectly serviceable remakes. But we didn't need Let's Go to be more damn Kanto games. We didn't need Gen 1 a third time. Any time Pokemon is in the spotlight for anything, it's always largely Kanto representation. As an example, if you count Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters, there are 10 Pokemon reps in Smash. A whopping 6 of those representatives are from Gen 1. In Pokken Tournament, there are 21 playable fighters, with 8 of them being from Kanto. While that's definitely an improvement on Smash, the most represented region is still Kanto. Even the newer games, like S/M/US/UM had a heavy focus on Kanto, with only Kanto pokemon getting Alolan forms.

-The fans' reaction to change. Ever since I was a little kid, I remember hearing people get excited for the next generation of Pokemon games, see it, and immediately think it's a death knell for the series. I remember it happening with D/P, I remember it happening with B/W, I remember it happening with X/Y, I remember it happening with S/M, and now I see it happening again with Sword and Shield. It's a constant cycle of people getting excited, seeing the new games and new characters, and then immediately thinking it's terrible. In the case of Sword and Shield, we've seen what, a minute? Two at the most? And I've already seen people think it's terrible. Same goes for the Detective Pikachu movie. That's likely just a YMMV thing, but I'm super tired of all the constant negativity surrounding any sort of new content for the franchise.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
#2165 Posted: 03:12:10 07/04/2019
While I both agree and disagree(mostly) with a lot of stuff, being super into Pokken Tournament I'm gonna play devil's advocate and point out Pokken technically has 6 Kanto reps because Pikachu Libre is technically a gen 6 rep since it came from ORAS and Shadow Mewtwo was a new character made specifically for Pokken. Kanto and Sinnoh are tied for most repped gens with 6.

And I have not heard any negative press for Detective Pikachu(both within the fandom and outside of it) so I have no idea where that's coming from. The whole thing on the games, yeah I see where that's coming from, but DP has gotten nothing but incredibly positive press from the public and the fandom.
---
Cool cool.
#2166 Posted: 03:17:46 07/04/2019
Quote: pankakesparx456
And I have not heard any negative press for Detective Pikachu(both within the fandom and outside of it) so I have no idea where that's coming from. The whole thing on the games, yeah I see where that's coming from, but DP has gotten nothing but incredibly positive press from the public and the fandom.

It's mostly "waaah X Pokemon looks CREEPY and not the way I think it should look!! It's ruining my childhood and the movie's gonna suck because of it!!" Like... dude... Pokemon would be super creepy in real life... They all look perfect to me.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 03:18:31 07/04/2019 by Vespi
Johnbonne Yellow Sparx Gems: 1093
#2167 Posted: 15:22:39 14/04/2019
Time to dust off an ancientboi opinion:

THAC0 isn't that complicated a system, and it's unreasonable to be turned off Baldur's Gate and other CRPGs as a result.

For context, Baldur's Gate is a CRPG by Bioware back when they were good in 1998, using the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition ruleset to determine how items, spells and levelling would work. Because it used a system that would be considered outdated in 2-3 years time come 3rd Edition in 2001 (an edition that was so bad it had to be remade in 3.5, shaping D&D into what it is today for better or for worse), it's easy to be put off at a glance. That part I understand, but it doesn't require one to search for a book explaining this.

THAC0 stands for To Hit Armour Class Zero (Zero sometimes spelt with a capital 'o' for phonetic reasons). You want your Armour Class (AC) to be as low as possible, even into the minuses. To work out if you'll hit an enemy in Baldur's Gate, the sum is as follows:

Quote:
THAC0 - AC = [minimum number on the dice required to hit]

If AC is in minus figures (-8 AC is incredibly good, and near impossible on the tabletop), you don't subtract but do the opposite. So in that case it would be THAC0 + the minus number of AC = [minimum number on the dice required to hit]. If I have a THAC0 of 12, but my foe has an AC of -6, I have to add that 6, meaning I need to roll 18 or higher to hit.

I get that it looks complicated on the surface. It doesn't help that there's no options to show the digital dice rolls (a huge problem I have with RNG in general), and that you have to rely on internet forums and unofficial resources to know this, but beyond that, I don't see why that should be the sole reason to turn a player off. Even I'll admit that I wasn't well enough in the mood if I didn't have the patience to learn the formula.

Since then, THAC0 has been replaced with a far simpler system - you merely look at an enemy's AC and compare your dice roll. Not high enough? Add your highest modifier (within reason; you don't add a Wisdom modifier to bash down a door on a Strength check). If it's high enough, you determine damage. If it's not, you miss. Get a one, and you somehow manage to disembowel yourself. That's even worse if your action was to simply tie your shoelaces.

I'll be doing a video on this very subject, but I have to ask, how many games have a system where you can work out the damage and hit chance? Take Dragon Age: Origins - this staff does 4 cold damage (and don't get me started on Armour Penetration), but when I hit I do 4/12/13/9/6/7 damage on the same enemy. Where did those figures come from? I'm sure I'll be told "it's your Attack Power / Magic + Wisdom x Dexterity".... but where is that information in the game? Or anywhere, for that matter? Who besides theorycrafters knows this? This is further confounded when looking at how DPS Meters in World of Warcraft work - two different damage meters could record the same sixty seconds of data and end up with different results, even though they both use the same formula to work out DPS. One such formula is this:

Quote:
((Min Weapon Damage + Max Weapon Damage) / 2) / Weapon Speed

But who in 18 of the 24 Hells has got time to figure that out on the fly? That's not even considering fall-off from buffs, movement, debuffs, and every other thing that was added since that sum was brought to our attention?!

To think I almost missed out on a game I've been playing for 2 months because of THAC0.
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 15:30:17 14/04/2019 by Johnbonne
#2168 Posted: 16:39:42 15/04/2019
[User Posted Image]

These are just the ones I've played FYI
---
(◕︿◕✿)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 16:40:23 15/04/2019 by Vespi
#2169 Posted: 07:10:13 17/04/2019
@Vespi I'd place Galaxy 1 & 2 lower (mostly because I've not played much them, but still I dislike what little I had played), and raise Super Mario Maker and SMB 3. I'd also put The Thousand Year Door and PM64 in S-Tier. But I doubt that's an unpopular opinion! smilie
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3254
#2170 Posted: 07:55:07 17/04/2019
Vespi where did you do the rank? I wanna do it myself.
---
Funny Spooky
#2171 Posted: 19:10:31 17/04/2019
Joker didn't really deserve to get into Smash, but I'm overjoyed at his inclusion nonetheless.

Quote: Crash10
Vespi where did you do the rank? I wanna do it myself.

Here you go.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
#2172 Posted: 19:48:25 17/04/2019 | Topic Creator
[User Posted Image]

ah ****, here we go again

(I only did the main games, btw)
---

#YangGang
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:51:57 17/04/2019 by Sesshomaru75
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6029
#2173 Posted: 12:19:05 18/04/2019
There will be an eventual dark ages for the Soulsborne/Soulslike sub-genre: A time when Dark Souls will no longer be popular. Every genre that dominated a market will be replaced by another before that genres dies and the old one comes back. Donkey Kong 64 for the platforming genre, Grim Fandango for the adventure genre, Resident Evil 4 for the traditional survival horror genre, Final Fantasy XIII (as much I like it) for the JRPG genre and linearity, the list goes on.

What comes up must go down and went down will come back up. Super Mario Odyssey, Telltale's The Walking Dead, Outlast, Resident Evil 7, Alien Isolation, Persona 5, NieR Automata, etc. By contrast, Fallout isn't doing too well, the looter-shooter genre is kinda screwed and even the likes of Need for Speed and Assassin's Creed are no longer an annual franchises. I'm not hearing much of Angry Birds and Minecraft so much these days.

Eventually, the Dark Souls formula will end up this way if FromSoftware pulls a Donkey Kong 64 when they go overkill, even by Dark Souls standards and people will be tired of it.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
#2174 Posted: 19:28:31 18/04/2019
i dont like digital copies of games
#2175 Posted: 04:26:30 19/04/2019
Quote: HotDogAndZap
i dont like digital copies of games

Amen.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
#2176 Posted: 08:34:59 19/04/2019
Thanks Vespi for the link for that tier maker! I've done mine but I need to find a way to upload it, but I'm not bothering with that right now.

@SteveMacQ I'm not entirely sure that sub-genre will have a dark ages moment so long as From Software and their ilk slowly release games. I'd go as far as to say that their tight-knit and often aggressively defensive community is what keeps the games alive, rather than the devs going overkill to appeal to a larger audience (although from what I'm told DS3 seemed into this). I think From has the right idea about reaching other people by making new IP instead of changing existing one to branch out with Sekiro and Bloodborne, and they don't try to appeal to anyone but those who want their idea of challenge and story.

In the case of Super Mario Odyssey, that was a 3D Mario platformer, something that will always be in demand (Hell, anything Mario will get people's knickers in a twist), plus 3D platformers have boomed in recent times with Yooka-Laylee (eh) and A Hat in Time. Other less known games have come along, such as Clive 'n' Wrench (eventually), Poi and so on. Not to mention Activision cashing in on old rope.

I'll agree that Telltale's formula is spread thin, but again they had a hardcore fanbase that would lap up anything (except the Wallace & Gromit adventure games, regrettably), but they suffered from overreaching with licenses, hatting too much money from corporate investors (Lionsgate, Warner Bros.) and having too little time and talent to make the games they had lined up. Plus their work culture sucked - according to the former boss of their now former video game studio, "crunch was necessary to keep the company afloat". There's still a demand for such things just because the company died (though maybe fans are tired of TWD, I'll give you that), as we're seeing with games such as Blues 'n' Bullets, The Council and Life is Strange.

I couldn't speak to the other games except for Fallout, whose move to first-person shooters has only increased the demand for the original CRPGs, spawning tabletop board games, inspiration for easily accessible tabletop RPGs, and spiritual successors. I quite like how that genre blooms from the death of beloved IP more than any other, from my observations. As a result of Dragon Age moving on from Origins, I'm playing Baldur's Gate and other games like it, which has got me binging on D&D video games of all kinds.

Speaking of CRPGs, I think they're one of the most sustainable genres in the industry, having been there since not long after the crash and have had steady releases over time. Dungeons & Dragons has been alive and kicking for nearly approx. 40 years and has never seemed to have been brought down. Like Mario, some things are here to stay despite the laws of the universe insisting otherwise. I doubt Dark Souls has that same lifespan going for it, but I think it can continue to thrive if it knows its audience and doesn't go over the top. But it only takes the tiniest drop in calm waters to cause ripples.

Before I end I'd like to say thanks for giving me such food for thought. I'm not saying this as a Souls fan, I just liked to discuss the point you bring up. I can certainly see where you're coming from! smilie
HIR Diamond Sparx Gems: 8717
#2177 Posted: 15:05:43 19/04/2019
I'd say this isn't unpopular, but I made a Mario tier list based on my level of engagement with the actual games. XP

[User Posted Image]
---
Congrats! You wasted five seconds reading this.
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6029
#2178 Posted: 17:26:18 19/04/2019
Quote: Johnbonne
I'm not entirely sure that sub-genre will have a dark ages moment so long as From Software and their ilk slowly release games. I'd go as far as to say that their tight-knit and often aggressively defensive community is what keeps the games alive, rather than the devs going overkill to appeal to a larger audience (although from what I'm told DS3 seemed into this). I think From has the right idea about reaching other people by making new IP instead of changing existing one to branch out with Sekiro and Bloodborne, and they don't try to appeal to anyone but those who want their idea of challenge and story.

Sekiro was meant to be a new Tenchu but then they forced some of the DS formula into what should've been a pure stealth game, so stealth enthusiasts can't deal with these large aggressive boss battles while DS players are forced to stick to a specific playstyle. Yet the more hardcore fans don't care that people were denied a new Tenchu, they just want games exclusively pandering to them no matter what.

I believe the Soulsborne genre could face a dark face with so many games released so close to one another. With games big and complicates level designs so soon after one another, I can't see how FromSoftware employees aren't burning out.
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
BroGuy Blue Sparx Gems: 659
#2179 Posted: 20:38:33 19/04/2019
The more 3D Platformers, the more merrier I am.
---
No U
#2180 Posted: 21:02:26 19/04/2019
Quote: StevemacQ
Quote: Johnbonne
I'm not entirely sure that sub-genre will have a dark ages moment so long as From Software and their ilk slowly release games. I'd go as far as to say that their tight-knit and often aggressively defensive community is what keeps the games alive, rather than the devs going overkill to appeal to a larger audience (although from what I'm told DS3 seemed into this). I think From has the right idea about reaching other people by making new IP instead of changing existing one to branch out with Sekiro and Bloodborne, and they don't try to appeal to anyone but those who want their idea of challenge and story.

Sekiro was meant to be a new Tenchu but then they forced some of the DS formula into what should've been a pure stealth game, so stealth enthusiasts can't deal with these large aggressive boss battles while DS players are forced to stick to a specific playstyle. Yet the more hardcore fans don't care that people were denied a new Tenchu, they just want games exclusively pandering to them no matter what.

I believe the Soulsborne genre could face a dark face with so many games released so close to one another. With games big and complicates level designs so soon after one another, I can't see how FromSoftware employees aren't burning out.

Those're some fair points, I hadn't realised that was how dire things were with Sekiro. In that case, I would have to wonder how long From's got left doing what they do if they decide either to make weak compromises or stick with what they want entirely. I can't imagine it's easy for them, being as big as they are in this case.

If things go the way of Telltale I'll have no sympathy for them, and I think they've had enough studios to learn from by now that repeated big budget games for an intentionally small audience isn't going to be healthy in the long run.

My opinion remains mostly the same, but I can see the gaps in From Software's strengths now. smilie
#2181 Posted: 05:11:18 20/04/2019
Inklings are really oversaturated in Nintendo media right now and I'm really getting sick of them.
I lobbied for them hard and I feel like their inclusion in Smash is justified (even though they're completely OP), but they don't belong in games like Mario Kart. I 100% would not be surprised if they became DLC or something in Mario Tennis Aces or Super Mario Party but that'd probably just make me dislike them and Splatoon even more.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
Gharlant Green Sparx Gems: 479
#2182 Posted: 05:27:42 20/04/2019
Quote: Vespi
Inklings are really oversaturated in Nintendo media right now and I'm really getting sick of them.
I lobbied for them hard and I feel like their inclusion in Smash is justified (even though they're completely OP), but they don't belong in games like Mario Kart. I 100% would not be surprised if they became DLC or something in Mario Tennis Aces or Super Mario Party but that'd probably just make me dislike them and Splatoon even more.

I never had Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, so when I finally got it on Switch I was like "is this a Smash Bros game now?" I really like Splatoon and the Inklings, and I'm glad Nintendo is beginning to make new IPs (even though ARMS kinda died), but I agree.
#2183 Posted: 06:00:58 20/04/2019
Quote: Gharlant
Quote: Vespi

I never had Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, so when I finally got it on Switch I was like "is this a Smash Bros game now?" I really like Splatoon and the Inklings, and I'm glad Nintendo is beginning to make new IPs (even though ARMS kinda died), but I agree.

I mean in the case of Mario Kart, I don't mind Link, I don't mind Isabelle, but the Inklings are already in everything else.
I wish some of the spotlight would go to other wholly owned Nintendo IPs like F-Zero, Star Fox, or Metroid rather than ****ing Splatoon for the 800th time. At this point, it feels like, other than second parties (i.e. Kirby, Fire Emblem) and third parties (they've been awfully friendly with Konami, Microsoft, and Atlus lately) the othly games Nintendo actually cares about are Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon.

That being said, I still wouldn't mind Kirby. Actually, while you're at it Nintendo, just make Air Ride 2.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
#2184 Posted: 07:33:41 20/04/2019
Adding to what Gharlant and Vespi have said, I wouldn't mind Nintendo Kart being seperate from Mario Kart. Keep Mario Kart basic with exclusive Mario franchise characters, and then have all the bloat that is gliders, parachutes and other dizzyingly excessive customisation in another more broad and perhaps advertised-as-competitive racing franchise. That way, those who want their auto-steer and Choco Mountain, and those against it can put on their big-boy pants and play the other one with their Kids Now and their Squids Now.

I think I said that in much older post. With how long I've followed this thread it's hard to keep track of my drivel.
#2185 Posted: 15:31:35 20/04/2019
on a semi related note, im kinda bitter that splatoon pretty much loses all play value without the nintendo internet or w/e its called. i cant afford it so when the "free trial" or whatever died so did the playability of the game, pretty much. theres a story mode yeah but imo it doesnt have much replay value.
#2186 Posted: 19:43:05 20/04/2019
This kinda applies to fiction in general, but I really really dislike when a game's story somehow has to remove all of its worldbuilding to go 'it was all pointless'. As infuriating as that trope is, IT CAN WORK, you just don't have to end it with the character being IRL or some other bull****. Here's a spoiler example that I don't know how to explain without giving it away.

In Hellblade, yes Senua's declining, yes the rot thing gets to her brain and she was going to fail all along, but she's not a patient in a hospital or actually a soldier with PTSD. She DID do the stupid thing of going to Helheim. She DID fight all these mythical creatures. It just happens that it was from mania and not from some amazing videogame protagonist power, and it eventually ran out.

More games need to go, yes the truth isn't what it seems, but some things stay the same regardless - and not characters that share names or something.
---
I do art!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 19:45:41 20/04/2019 by Bifrost
#2187 Posted: 17:27:42 22/04/2019
Cuphead isn't that hard
---
Cool cool.
Crash10 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3254
#2188 Posted: 18:47:07 23/04/2019
Didn't find the first Crash Bandicoot all that hard. Maybe because I found the level design easy to digest and memorize. Haven't played the remake though, maybe that's the one which is actually hard.
---
Funny Spooky
#2189 Posted: 15:33:28 30/04/2019
I don't understand the appeal of Monster Hunter, but that's probably because i don't like big raid type games and I also don't have any friends.
---
(◕︿◕✿)
#2190 Posted: 16:59:20 05/05/2019
I'm not sure if this is unpopular because I've never seen fans of the franchise here, but I'm seeing someone draw Puzzle And Dragons creatures and the character design in that game is ****ing atrocious

It's painfully obvious the artists were given like one attempt and that attempt had to be used for the entire evolution line, leading to things like the Dark starter having a moon diaper and a Freeza tail and the Earth starter having a centipede for a lower body

In a world of Fake Girl gacha, Digimon, Yokai Watch and whatever else, THAT one is one of the biggest selling franchises in the world and only actual Pokémon defeats it?
---
I do art!
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 17:00:20 05/05/2019 by Bifrost
#2191 Posted: 04:57:37 08/05/2019 | Topic Creator
While I find Breath of The Wild to be quite overrated in my eyes (Though it isn't a bad game by any means, since some people act like the two are synonymous), I feel that its soundtrack is underrated if anything.

I still don't like it as much as some of the other Zelda games' OSTs for the most part, but it's still enjoyable and has plenty of great songs to me personally.
(i.e Both of the battle themes for Calamity/Dark Beast Ganon, the Molduga battle theme, Rito Village, Zora's Domain, etc.)

Also, I'd like to clarify that Breath of The Wild - despite the issues I've stated to have with it, and the arguments I've had with other people over the game in the past - is still in my top ten Zelda games.
(It's at #6 for me at the moment, to be more specific smilie)
---

#YangGang
Edited 4 times - Last edited at 05:42:57 08/05/2019 by Sesshomaru75
#2192 Posted: 19:23:47 09/05/2019
Pillars of Eternity's one of those RPGs that thinks too highly of itself, or rather places exceedingly high expectations on the player. It's writing is a constant barrage of new words that you're expected to just know, usually without any context (which is relegated to an encyclopedia. Huzzah for choppy storytelling). Furthermore, a lot of this jargon is unimportant fluff, and by the time you're in the third act you've dismissed the most important words and events along with it. It's all too common to see RPGs where their lore is overwhelming and it floods into what could've been a simple but effective story. Sometimes less is more, and PoE would've been so much better if it didn't expect so much so early.

Now Tyranny's a better way of doing things. Sure it has a lot of jargon, but its world is neatly condensed and you may even be the cause of some new words and phrases popping up. What's even better is that there's a tooltip when hovering over unique words - what's meant by Disfavoured? Oh, it says right there. What's a Fatebinder? I'll just hover over the word and blammo, I'm a learned boi. The impact that has on dialogue is unbelievably good.

I may play PoE2: Deadfire, but I'm worried my impression of it is already sullied because of how hard the first game was to follow.
#2193 Posted: 14:31:55 12/05/2019
Activision Apologists Are Aweful
---
No U
#2194 Posted: 17:25:28 12/05/2019 | Topic Creator
Quote: BroGuy

That's an unpopular opinion?
---

#YangGang
#2195 Posted: 19:10:57 12/05/2019
Quote: Sesshomaru75

That's an unpopular opinion?

Hmmm... good point. Maybe should have posted in personal thoughts. This morning when I made this post I saw plenty of people defending Activision offsite and that may have warped my perception of the bigger context
---
No U
emeraldzoroark Gold Sparx Gems: 2735
#2196 Posted: 20:05:47 12/05/2019

Although, Activision Apologists Attempt Avoiding Annoying Alliteration
---
This avatar will be a reminder of my ultimate goal.
Even if I can’t bring it to Gen 8.
#2197 Posted: 20:37:38 12/05/2019
Quote: emeraldzoroark

Although, Activision Apologists Attempt Avoiding Annoying Alliteration

[User Posted Image]
#2198 Posted: 00:04:19 14/05/2019
I kinda like grinding in games. Being able to make myself better by earning it through work is really satisfying to me. I enjoy the process just as much as the outcome.
---
sometimes that japanese future funk be hittin tho...
#2199 Posted: 05:35:41 14/05/2019
I kinda like grinding in games. Being able to make myself better by earning it through work is really satisfying to me. I enjoy the process just as much as the outcome.

Same, but only in recent years. Last year in World of Warcraft I got two of the most infamous titles in the game, "The Insane" and "Hero of Shattrath", the former taking about 21 days to complete. As much as people hate grinding, I prefer a good long grind to timegating, the process in which no matter what you do you cannot progress any further until the devs say so, which is what's put me of WoW recently. Same with mount runs - at the end of the day, that's what keeps me subscribed. No grind, no subscription.
#2200 Posted: 20:16:31 15/05/2019 | Topic Creator
I don't know if I've posted about this before or not, but I personally think that Capcom should remake the first two Devil May Cry games like how they remade Resident Evil 2 recently.
(And like how they also appear to be remaking Resident Evil 3, based off of some of their recent teases)

- - -

The original Devil May Cry is still good for what it is, but it's showing its age in a lot of areas.
It could obviously benefit from the visual upgrade alone, but certain mechanics could benefit from a remake as well. (Like the lack of a mission select option, and other things of that nature)

They could also slightly alter the story to reflect the events of Devil May Cry 3, since it's a prequel to the first game. (And also allude to other events that took place before the first game that we learned about in later titles, if necessary)

- - -

Now with Devil May Cry 2 it would need a lot more than just a visual and mechanical upgrade with a few minor tweaks to its story, as it would essentially require a massive overhaul in most (If not all) departments.

I know that some people think that as a result Capcom shouldn't bother doing so, but personally I feel that DMC2 offered some interesting ideas (i.e Argosax, Bolverk, etc.) that were great in concept and deserve more love than what they got.
DMC2 also ironically introduced a good few staples of the series (Such as the Bloody Palace), which I find interesting as most people seem to forget about that.

It's also obvious that, despite a majority of the fandom wanting it to be retconned to this day, Capcom is still willing to acknowledge it at least in some (Albeit minor) capacity.
This is made evident with the story finally moving past DMC2 in the timeline rather than continuously putting it at the end of it like they were doing, and referencing it heavily within the prequel novel to DMC5. (Which is canon, mind you)

If anything it'd be a "reimagining" type of remake, akin to what Ratchet & Clank 2016 and the Final Fantasy VII remake are. (Which I'm pretty sure that the Resident Evil 2 remake is as well anyways smilie)

- - -

I wouldn't be opposed to them remaking Devil May Cry 3 as well, since they might as well remake it too if they ever end up remaking the first two games while they're at it.
That said, DMC3 really only needs a visual upgrade and not much else if it were to get a remake, so I don't see a remake of the game being as necessary.
---

#YangGang
Edited 7 times - Last edited at 23:16:52 15/05/2019 by Sesshomaru75
First | Previous | Page 44 of 47 | Next | Last
1 2 3 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me