Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
darkSpyro - Spyro and Skylanders Forum > Stuff and Nonsense > stephenie meyer confirmed to be gender-swapping her twilight series
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2
stephenie meyer confirmed to be gender-swapping her twilight series [CLOSED]
ReshiramForever Platinum Sparx Gems: 5142
#51 Posted: 12:06:53 14/10/2015
paolini, an amazing writer?

thats a first
---
self professed austGAYlian
Bifrost Prismatic Sparx Gems: 10026
#52 Posted: 12:15:25 14/10/2015
Quote: ReshiramForever

thats a first

Well, it's a fun read, until he decides it could be EVEN MORE fun if he wasted pages talking about dumb pointless stuff like a side character's struggles you don't care about or forging a sword described to the smallest possible detail, then you wish he'd just get to the action again already.
---
SO I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT
(What I need is never what I want)
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 12:15:57 14/10/2015 by Bifrost
CAV Platinum Sparx Gems: 6253
#53 Posted: 15:51:21 14/10/2015
I only got 20-ish pages into Brisingr before I got bored by how slow the book was going to start its own story. Eldest was a fine book though, even though it spent a good 40 pages wasted talking about how nice a city looks.

Quote: DarkCynder_543
I swear publishing companies have really low standards because I see a lot off books on the shelf that are garbage now. Yet they still get a lot of fame. Like Divergent for example. That was a terrible series.

Although at the same time it gives me hope of being successful with my own book, since I literally think 'If ****ty books like Twilight, Divergent, Mortal Instruments, etc can get publish and become really popular, then mine will have no problem'. I know that's not a good mindset, but I can't help it. xD

It must also be because a good share of those books are trying to capture the same young adult teen audience that Twilight and The Hunger Games did. They were hugely successful and people seem to have been trying to ape it in an attempt to get the same kind of deal, money, and film rights (of which some have succeeded).

Doesn't help that the few who got movie deals (and even Hunger Games themselves) are going the Harry Potter route of splitting the final book into two films.
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 15:53:29 14/10/2015 by CAV
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#54 Posted: 17:09:38 14/10/2015
*enters without really reading anything*

I have Paolini's autograph so **** all of youuuuuuuuu~

Anyway, the Twilight gender swap thing sounds like a neat idea. I sort of feel like it's just her way to get more followers since Fifty Shades of Grey seemed to steal a bit of her thunder. And I won't bother to read it because I don't care for Twilight. But it's still a neat idea. Sounds a bit too fan-fiction-y though.
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#55 Posted: 18:33:08 14/10/2015
Quote: Bifrost

thats a first

Well, it's a fun read, until he decides it could be EVEN MORE fun if he wasted pages talking about dumb pointless stuff like a side character's struggles you don't care about or forging a sword described to the smallest possible detail, then you wish he'd just get to the action again already.

I'm pretty sure that there was once literally two chapters spent on the dragon wondering how a dragonfly got it's name.
---
Dead
#56 Posted: 18:42:39 14/10/2015
Sapphira also spends several pages going 'OH LOOK MY RIDER IS SO RECKLESS. I'LL JUST SIT HERE AND THINK' and that's literally what she does until the end of the chapter.

Again,really big shame,his world building goes from really cool to weird and scary, and the action scenes escalate really well,but if it wasn't such a fillter fest I'd have enjoyed it tons more.
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 18:42:55 14/10/2015 by Bifrost
StevemacQ Platinum Sparx Gems: 6533
#57 Posted: 19:08:56 14/10/2015
I couldn't believe my eyes. The book is in stores. I knew I heard it a few days ago but what's the gap between hearing the announcement of a new book and it's release?
---
Needz more eh-mo-shuns.
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#58 Posted: 22:36:49 14/10/2015
Quote: AvatariDragon

Anyway, the Twilight gender swap thing sounds like a neat idea. I sort of feel like it's just her way to get more followers since Fifty Shades of Grey seemed to steal a bit of her thunder. And I won't bother to read it because I don't care for Twilight. But it's still a neat idea. Sounds a bit too fan-fiction-y though.

I'd give her more credit if not for the fact that she literally copy and pasted 85% of the words from the original Twilight.
AvatariDragon Platinum Sparx Gems: 6085
#59 Posted: 22:59:58 14/10/2015
Quote: Kitty

I'd give her more credit if not for the fact that she literally copy and pasted 85% of the words from the original Twilight.

True true
---
♥ May 23, 2011 ♥
parisruelz12 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7569
#60 Posted: 23:23:10 14/10/2015
I loved Eragon and Eldest, but Brisingr bored me half to death and I don't even remember if I finished Inheritance or not. I prefer The Dragons of Wayward crescent.
---
looks like ive got some things to do...
Seiki Platinum Sparx Gems: 6081
#61 Posted: 00:17:16 15/10/2015
Quote: Kitty

Wow... Way to ruin an opportunity to redo it and actually do it good.
---
Once in my dreams, I rose and soared. No matter how I'm knocked around or beaten down, I will stand up restored.
pankakesparx456 Diamond Sparx Gems: 7795
#62 Posted: 00:32:11 15/10/2015
You know people constantly make the joke "still a better love story than twilight" a lot, but with the existence of stuff like this it's kind of sad to think that it's an irrelevant statement now because there's actually stuff that's worse than twilight nowadays.

Quote: Crystal Dragon
Quote: Iceclaw
There's bits and pieces of it floating around on the internet and let me tell you Meyer managed to somehow make her writing worse

inb4 new fanfiction based on this new twilight series

fanfiction becomes gender-swapped fifty shades

we are doomed

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS
---
Cool cool.
shroom boom Emerald Sparx Gems: 3133
#63 Posted: 04:40:42 15/10/2015
noooo that would suck so much they are already **** bnokks and movies
---
103 skylanders in total SSA:31/32 SG:26/30 SSF:39/56
DarkCynder_543 Platinum Sparx Gems: 5210
#64 Posted: 11:14:09 15/10/2015 | Topic Creator

thats a first

I just meant his writing in general. He's not good with dealing with the plot and all the filler and stuff. There was a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary. I simply meant the writing (especially considering how old he was when he wrote Eragon. I think he was 16?). Although I swear a lot of the time he's just like 'look at how great my writing is' with the filler.
---
a true saiyan always sprinkles when he tinkles
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:20:48 15/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
#65 Posted: 11:33:32 15/10/2015

thats a first

I just meant his writing in general. He's not good with dealing with the plot and all the filler and stuff. There was a lot of stuff that wasn't necessary. I simply meant the writing (especially considering how old he was when he wrote Eragon. I think he was 16?). Although I swear a lot of the time he's just like 'look at how great my writing is' with the filler.

sure he might have a grasp on grammar but there's a lot more to writing than that

his purple prose is godawfully excessive

not saying it isn't impressive for a 16 year old or whatever but he was in his twenties by the end and nothing improved
---
Edited 1 time - Last edited at 11:35:43 15/10/2015 by ReshiramForever
#66 Posted: 11:40:04 15/10/2015 | Topic Creator
Although it's actually been a long time since I've read the books, so I can't really remember it well. I just remember it being pretty good, but maybe my opinion will change if grab it again and read it I dunno. And I haven't read that much of it.

From what I remember, the writing was quite excessive like you said, but a lot of adult books are like that. The Redwall series is actually more excessive than Eragon I think. That's why I tend to stay away from adult books since a lot of them seem so focused on 'look what I can write!!!' that it kind of ruins the book for me. I prefer books that are easier to read. But unfortunately the YA fiction are now filled with books trying to please the Twilight crowed like what CAV said, with Divergent, Mortal Instruments, Throne of Glass, Fifty Shades of Grey, etc. So I'm kind of just sticking with the first warriors series and Harry Potter for now. xD

Quote: CAV
I only got 20-ish pages into Brisingr before I got bored by how slow the book was going to start its own story. Eldest was a fine book though, even though it spent a good 40 pages wasted talking about how nice a city looks.

I swear publishing companies have really low standards because I see a lot off books on the shelf that are garbage now. Yet they still get a lot of fame. Like Divergent for example. That was a terrible series.

Although at the same time it gives me hope of being successful with my own book, since I literally think 'If ****ty books like Twilight, Divergent, Mortal Instruments, etc can get publish and become really popular, then mine will have no problem'. I know that's not a good mindset, but I can't help it. xD

It must also be because a good share of those books are trying to capture the same young adult teen audience that Twilight and The Hunger Games did. They were hugely successful and people seem to have been trying to ape it in an attempt to get the same kind of deal, money, and film rights (of which some have succeeded).

Doesn't help that the few who got movie deals (and even Hunger Games themselves) are going the Harry Potter route of splitting the final book into two films.

I don't like how all the films are copying Harry Potter. Especially with THG since the third book is terrible, and that has shown in the third movie.

And I love THG lol. Not so much the books since I don't like the writing, but I enjoyed the films. It's literally the only modern popular YA book series I like. Although I did like Throne of Glass until the latest book happened and disappointed me. Legit only reading it for two characters now.
To be honest The Hunger Games is quite different to other modern YA novels since the Katniss/Peeta pairing and other relationships are actually believable and there wasn't even an established pairing until the end of the series (which is what I prefer since it avoids ****ty love drama). Also Katniss was a good character.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 11:44:11 15/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#67 Posted: 14:12:54 15/10/2015
hello i am here for the eragon bashing. paolini sucks and used waaaay too much purple prose that was a slog to read through. it bogged everything down rather than enhanced it. he also doesn't know how to write his own stuff without ripping off star wars and lord of the rings. i want to cut him some slack since as previously mentioned, he was 15 or 16 or so when he wrote eragon, but his later books sucked too. i think out of the 700 or whatever pages that brisingr had, maybe 20 advanced the plot?
#68 Posted: 14:55:40 15/10/2015
There was still salvageable lore though. I remember the stuff with the dwarves was pretty cool and did some nice exploring of the cliche, and se horrifyingly cool stuff with the villain factions like the soldiers without nerves and whateger the hell was in the tower in the desert.
---
Metallo Platinum Sparx Gems: 6419
#69 Posted: 15:06:12 15/10/2015
TBH purple prose is acceptable when describing active, kinetic events, especially those important to the plot (i.e. battles).
Spyro Fanatic Hunter Gems: 12132
#70 Posted: 17:26:47 15/10/2015
Don't get me started on the Inheritance Cycle... Before I read Brisingr, I thoroughly enjoyed reading novels and from the many I've read, I read them to the end. Once I came to the umpteenth raid or whatever the hell it was with Eragon's brother in Brisingr, I took out my bookmark and I haven't touched the book since.

As for the Twilight Saga, I read several pages of Twilight and stopped after I couldn't stand Stephenie Meyer's horrid descriptive language. Something about Bella looking at a car and somehow imagining it smashing into a tree or something like that at the beginning of the book was probably the point I stopped. It sounded so stupid and out of the blue to me.

Quote: Metallo
TBH purple prose is acceptable when describing active, kinetic events, especially those important to the plot (i.e. battles).

The problem is none of it was used in developing the plot of Christopher Paolini's books. Instead it was used in the subplot that had no development to the main plot and used for one dimensional characters you didn't care about.
Big Green Platinum Sparx Gems: 6345
#71 Posted: 18:47:41 15/10/2015

i feel the opposite, if you get overdescriptive in stuff like fight scenes it makes everything feel really slow when it should be quick and to the point
#72 Posted: 01:24:42 16/10/2015
Quote: Big Green

i feel the opposite, if you get overdescriptive in stuff like fight scenes it makes everything feel really slow when it should be quick and to the point

It depends on the reader, I suppose. For me personally, sometimes if a fight scene isn't described in considerable detail, I have to read it a few times to understand what actually happened.
#73 Posted: 09:32:05 16/10/2015 | Topic Creator
^ Agreed. Although I personally prefer it with less detail. Warriors is a good example, since when the cats fight the writing is very straight to the point, and it works really well. Although I do admit that sometimes I find it hard to imagine what battle position the cats are in because the amount of detail is very low.

also lmao i remember in the third novel of the hunger games that

Someone died and I didn't even know, so when that person's death was mentioned I was like 'wait what that guy died!?!?' I think it was a meat grinder or something? I can't even remember the name of the person who died. It was so briefly mentioned.
---
Edited 2 times - Last edited at 09:34:05 16/10/2015 by DarkCynder_543
Kitty Platinum Sparx Gems: 5106
#74 Posted: 15:17:25 16/10/2015
^ Agreed. Although I personally prefer it with less detail. Warriors is a good example, since when the cats fight the writing is very straight to the point, and it works really well. Although I do admit that sometimes I find it hard to imagine what battle position the cats are in because the amount of detail is very low.

also lmao i remember in the third novel of the hunger games that

Someone died and I didn't even know, so when that person's death was mentioned I was like 'wait what that guy died!?!?' I think it was a meat grinder or something? I can't even remember the name of the person who died. It was so briefly mentioned.

I'm sorry, but that book was a mess.
It was difficult to know what was even going on, like the part you mentioned.

By far my least favorite of the trilogy.
mega spyro Emerald Sparx Gems: 3847
#75 Posted: 16:05:18 16/10/2015

It depends on the reader, I suppose. For me personally, sometimes if a fight scene isn't described in considerable detail, I have to read it a few times to understand what actually happened.

Well, for me, If the book goes on and on and on describing every little detail of the battle, I imagine it in slow motion, and what was supposed to be a really serious fight scene has now turned into a giggle fest, imagining them moving in slow motion. But that's just me.
---
Dead
#76 Posted: 19:27:36 16/10/2015
Quote: mega spyro

Well, for me, If the book goes on and on and on describing every little detail of the battle, I imagine it in slow motion, and what was supposed to be a really serious fight scene has now turned into a giggle fest, imagining them moving in slow motion. But that's just me.

Adverbs help with imagining speed, I would think.
Rendar Platinum Sparx Gems: 6473
#77 Posted: 19:30:08 16/10/2015
Quote: mega spyro

Adverbs help with imagining speed, I would think.

No. Uh... no. It can help if used lightly but used a lot, it just weakens their impact.
#78 Posted: 19:36:23 16/10/2015
friendly reminder that there's a difference between purple prose and usual description
---
First | Page 2 of 2
1 2

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me