Forum

Poll

12 Years of Skylanders, Have You Played Any?
View Results
Page 1 of 1
To unbox or not? that is the question. [CLOSED]
orekul Yellow Sparx Gems: 1099
#1 Posted: 11:56:17 26/09/2015 | Topic Creator
When we first got into skylanders way back when we used to tear open the packaging and play away, however with trap team we started keeping the variants in the boxes or buying two and opening one.
Then it got serious about six months ago when we started closing in on a complete collection, and we stopped taking the new ones out of the packaging. With superchargers I am feeling a real urge to not take any of them out of the packaging and either cloning them to tags or using them in the box.
I've seen other pictures of peoples collections and it seems quite a few do keep them boxed, I'm wondering how others manage this?
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#2 Posted: 11:58:43 26/09/2015
JUST DO IT!
Idk I unbox everything execpt some Varients
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Portal___Master Emerald Sparx Gems: 3718
#3 Posted: 12:27:00 26/09/2015
Buy one to open, and buy one to keep in box.
Like you said, many Collectors do this, and you can capitalize on savings when there's a BOGO XX% off sale.
For SSC, we are starting to buy two to open, for each level up path, for each in game character, so for Astroblast for example, 2 normal versions and 2 Legendary versions will be opened, while 1 normal version and 1 Legendary version will be kept in box.
Crazy we know, but we are SkyLanders COLLECTORS after all. smilie
---
smilie
Guinness Book of World Records holder for Largest SkyLanders Collection.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkyLandersCollectorsGroup
Dark Snap Shot Gold Sparx Gems: 2623
#4 Posted: 12:28:57 26/09/2015
Buying two means double the cost, and for some thats too much money....for two of the same thing
---
Psn-Zydren8cookie, FC 3024-5345-8692
Dark fhoenix Emerald Sparx Gems: 3166
#5 Posted: 15:55:29 26/09/2015
Unless you gonna resell it all later there is no point in keeping it boxed . Dont you want to hold touch and smell your new skylander ?
---
Hey Skylander your health is low and we have a chainsaw
orekul Yellow Sparx Gems: 1099
#6 Posted: 16:04:10 26/09/2015 | Topic Creator
I'm still not sure, I may want to sell them if they still have any value in the future. That will be when the kids are older though. I am a reformed steelbook collector and didn't used to unseal them. Resold all of those now though.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#7 Posted: 16:29:36 26/09/2015
Currently i have sealed an SSA to Trap Team set. Since we are going to have construction eventually starting (its still held up in variance dept) they are off the wall and in boxes. I personally like having both but it does take up room. In the future I might say screw it and open eveything...recently ive debated opening the triples (the none adventure/battle) as they are basically singles pushed together and its pointless.

Now with trap team i didn't save doubles of traps..i did save the 8 pack. Superchargers im debating between the double packs or them two alone. On one hand they look cool together on the other hand it might not match the set so much. Im also debating collecting the sealed for now and buying figures to play down the road used.
TOlofter Yellow Sparx Gems: 1021
#8 Posted: 16:30:18 26/09/2015
I will never understand keeping things boxed unless you are in it to sell OR buy doubles OR it's collector-friendly packaging.
Takes all the fun out of it for me. You cannot make any sort of display, it's not tangible the figure itself. Aside form the in-game functionality, I feel you can save your money and just print a picture of the figure is almost the same as keeping it boxed.

All figures must be released from their plastic prisons!!!!
DGAFPolar Green Sparx Gems: 174
#9 Posted: 21:20:17 26/09/2015
having 2, one open and one boxed is ONLY useful if you want to sell one day. Plus, except for a few, most dont raise in value more than a few dollars. Buying 3, one for each path and one to keep in box seems insane, but im not judging....but now you can swap paths in this game so it seems not needed.
---
Not everyone can be an Eon Elite lol
defpally Emerald Sparx Gems: 4158
#10 Posted: 21:31:47 26/09/2015
There was a time where keeping one boxed made sense - back when there were several uncommon. But now, the sheer number makes it ridiculous to have a packaged display. If you are keeping them pristine for future resale value, that ship sailed long ago - unless you have chase figures or a few really early ones there will be no future windfall in it. I get that some want to do it, and have no issue with that, but it has gotten sort of out of hand on the figure count to make it feasible.

As a side note, I really don't get why someone wouldn't want to open Swap Force figures or the vehicles. Those things are great fun to play with. VV has for two games really brought out the "toy" in "toys to life". My youngest is going to go crazy with the vehicles.
Alphawolf Yellow Sparx Gems: 1692
#11 Posted: 02:34:31 27/09/2015
Quote: Portal___Master
Buy one to open, and buy one to keep in box.
Like you said, many Collectors do this, and you can capitalize on savings when there's a BOGO XX% off sale.
For SSC, we are starting to buy two to open, for each level up path, for each in game character, so for Astroblast for example, 2 normal versions and 2 Legendary versions will be opened, while 1 normal version and 1 Legendary version will be kept in box.
Crazy we know, but we are SkyLanders COLLECTORS after all. smilie

you might not need 2 for each path, in another topic someone said something about at lvl 74 portal master rank you can swap paths for free. im not 100% on this and in only lvl 56-ish.
SlayerX11 Emerald Sparx Gems: 3488
#12 Posted: 03:45:29 27/09/2015
I have a sealed set cause I like how they look that way. I might change my mind later on when i have room other then a wall to store them in an open state (like in a sealed glass cabinet) I have no intent to sell these down the road thou the slead part may one day just become a 2nd opened set.
Page 1 of 1

Please login or register a forum account to post a message.

Username Password Remember Me